The Lone Gunmen Forums

FOX (ended 2001)

What where you thoughs on 'Jump the Shark'

trustno1uk

[1]Dec 21, 2006
    • level: 9
    What are your thoughts on the X Files season 9 episode Jump the Shark?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ReclusiveWriter

[2]Jan 25, 2007
    • level: 13

I thought it was a great episode, with a gripping plot, the return of characters that I really liked, and didn't get to spend much time with (in this particular case, I'm referring to Yves and Jimmy), as well as a tragic ending that still breaks me down like a little kid every time I either watch it or listen to it in my audio collection.  The only downside is that Scully only appeared at the final scene of this episode, and that Mulder couldn't be there to pay respects to three of his best friends who died heroically.

Michael McKean delievered another great performance as Morris Fletcher, who's obviously come down in the world since his first appearance in The X-Files' two-parter "Dreamland".

This episode also held the 4th and final appearance of a John Gilnitz in a Chris Carter series. (Admittedly, I haven't paid that close attention to see if there were any John Gilnitz's in Millennium, and I never watched Harsh Realm.)

Despite its sad ending, I'd rate this episode at 9.6

farscapefanuk

[3]Mar 10, 2007
    • level: 32
    It was a great episode really more a Lone Gunmen episode than an X Files episode.

farscapefanuk

[4]Mar 10, 2007
    It was a great way to end the Lone Gunmen story seeing them go out as heroes.

jenniferbaymer

[5]Apr 8, 2007
    • level: 10
    I thought it was really sad! It was a really great thing what they did, but their death came as a shock to me. I've never even imagined that the Lone Gunmen would die. Ialoved them though, it was a great episode!

farscapefanuk

[6]Apr 11, 2007
    But i can see why the writers killed them off, the X Files was finishing and there was little hope for a Lone Gunmen movie.

AlexKrycec

[7]Apr 20, 2007
    • level: 7
    ReclusiveWriter wrote:

I thought it was a great episode, with a gripping plot, the return of characters that I really liked, and didn't get to spend much time with (in this particular case, I'm referring to Yves and Jimmy), as well as a tragic ending that still breaks me down like a little kid every time I either watch it or listen to it in my audio collection.  The only downside is that Scully only appeared at the final scene of this episode, and that Mulder couldn't be there to pay respects to three of his best friends who died heroically.

Michael McKean delievered another great performance as Morris Fletcher, who's obviously come down in the world since his first appearance in The X-Files' two-parter "Dreamland".

This episode also held the 4th and final appearance of a John Gilnitz in a Chris Carter series. (Admittedly, I haven't paid that close attention to see if there were any John Gilnitz's in Millennium, and I never watched Harsh Realm.)

Despite its sad ending, I'd rate this episode at 9.6

You noticed that too... the whole John Gilnitz conspiracy! How about Nicholas Lea (Krycec) in Season One's Gender Bender, but not as Krycec. I would notice that I guess. Anyways, they had a sad demise, but what they did was truly noble. The Lone Gunmen were a great appengae to the X-Files, but really had no life outside of them (their show was interesting, but wasn't highly satisfactory). The three were always good for a laugh. I loved how Froheke always made passes at Scully... especially when he showed up to Scully's with a bottle of Whiskey when they thought Mulder was dead.

By the way, I've heard several differant explanations for what the term "Jump the Shark" means. And how would it apply to the episode? Any takers on this one? Rock on Gunmen fans!

farscapefanuk

[8]May 14, 2007
    It means Fox jumped the shark on the Lone Gunmen series, they cancelled it after only 13 episdoes. So the producers made this as a protest.

guitargirl420

[9]Jul 31, 2007

I loved the episode. It was sad of course, I cried.

But they went down as heroes. I didn't get some of the episode, because I hadn't seen all of Seasons 8 &9 yet.

I get it now though. lol

farscapefanuk

[10]Aug 7, 2007
    Yeah its hard to follow if you have not seen the X Files seasons 8 or 9 or The Lone Gunmen series. But once you have seen it then you'll get it.

C_J_B_Spender

[11]Jun 3, 2008
    • level: 7
    trustno1uk wrote:
    What are your thoughts on the X Files season 9 episode Jump the Shark?

Fitting end worthy of three awesome characters.

CaptainHarkness

[12]Oct 13, 2008
    • level: 23
    Jump The Shark was amazing. It was a great was way to send off The Gunmen. I wish they hadn't killed them but what can you do?

ChipsTheButler

[13]Feb 13, 2011
    Needed more sharks.