The Lone Gunmen

Madam, I'm Adam

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Mar 30, 2001 on FOX

7.7
  • I'd rather be covered in lavender-scented udder cream. And I hate lavender.

The plot for this one starts well enough: two men seem to be sharing one life (or at least one house and various proclivities) without knowing it - interesting, right?

Well, actually, no. It seems as though one man (the titular Adam) has been brainwashed into thinking he's leading a perfectly normal life in a perfectly normal house with a perfectly normal wife, when actually he's hooked up to a virtual environment while suspended in a big tub of blue goo.

"Well, okay," you might say, "brainwashing people in tubs of goo, that's interesting, right? Sort of Matrix-y?" Again, no. What has promise in theory just doesn't translate here, and in fact, the plot quickly devolves into midget jokes (yes, that's right: midgets. Didn't I mention the midgets?) and perverted sexual humor.

Now, don't get me wrong; I'm as fond of midgets as the next gal. The thing is, storylines including midgets can be classy (hello, CSI!) or...not. "Madam, I'm Adam" is definitely one of the "or not" variety. In fact, guess where Sadie, the main guest-starring midget, lives? That's right, in a trailer! And, to up the class factor, her deceased father was, get this, a midget wrestler! Isn't that hiiii-larious?

There's light-hearted humor, and then there's this episode, which tries for light-hearted and fails, and tries for humorous and also fails.
  • UFO Tofu

This is the first episode in this short-lived series that really isn't very good. It feels like a bad, bad remake of "Humbug" from The X-Files, what with the one-eyed salesman and his, ahem, height-impaired girlfriend. There is also a remarkable amount of "potty" humor that seems out of place, even for the Gunmen. In the opening teaser, for example, we watch as Adam takes a dump while reading a magazine, followed by the actual owner of the home walking into the recently befouled bathroom, catching a whiff of Adam's internal perfume and breaking out the Lysol. Utter hilarity! Later, Adam explains to the Gunmen that the goo in his sample bottle was lodged up deep in every imaginable bodily orifice of his and Langly complains about having sore nipples. More hilarity! Guffaw...

Although the storyline at first seems interesting, the epidode is so poorly written with so many gaping plot holes that even John Shiban would be embarassed to claim credit. Just how does one saw through the entire wall of a house with a jigsaw, anyway?