The Lone Gunmen

Tango de los Pistoleros

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Apr 27, 2001 on FOX

7.9
  • The BEST of the Series!

This is my all time favorite episode of "The Lone Gunmen"!

Once again the Gunmen are sticking their noses into Yves business. They take a road trip to Miami to thwart her plans when they think she has become a partner to a smuggler.

But of course, once again they're wrong about her motives. Yves is actually trying to get close to the smuggler (a very HOT John Vargas) to prevent him from passing on top secret military information. To do this she becomes his partner in a Tango Competition! Unfortunately, she also falls for him in the process.

I am a HUGE Melvin Frohike fan! He's my favorite Gunmen. So it was great to have another episode besides "Eine Kleine Frohike" where he got to shine. Who would have ever expected that Frohike was a closet Tango King!

So, this was a bittersweet episode for me. Frohike was the man of the hour, but Yves was devastated when the smuggler she fell for came between her and a bullet.
  • Dancing With The Nerds

7.4
    This is a well-directed and well-executed episode whose storyline, unfortunately, is grounded in dance, specifically the tango. Ugh.

The plot is laughably bad, the dance moves are awkwardly stiff and one wonders what the producers were thinking when they decided to use cold, damp, dreary Vancouver as a stand in for Miami, Florida. Yeah, there is not a thong bikini to be seen.

The writing is pretty awful and the plot (such as it is)seemingly half-baked. Why does the bad guy insist on trading the secret CD out in the open during a tango competition of all places? Would it not have been a bit easier to, oh, I don't know, leave the CD in a PO box or maybe even e-mail its contents? And how is it that Kimmy is able to hack into the DOD mainframe by making a single keystroke on his notebook? These are just two examples of the paint-by-numbers style of writing that is more interested in hitting the dramatic plot points than it is in suspending our disbelief with more plausible events so as to actually entertain us.