The Lost Room

Syfy (Mini-Series 2006)

walrus_8463

The Lost Room Fan Reviews (57)

• this show has 6 not 3

i watched 6 eps of this show it's really amazing i lvoe it
  • I love these mini shows.

If you also love the 3 episodes mini shows and like scify I highly recomend it.
  • Quirky mix of several different shows

I found it... interesting. Kind of a combination of the Friday the 13th TV series, and Heroes. Except instead of people with extraordinary powers, you have people with Objects that give them (sometimes) extraordinary powers.

I couldn't tell if the writers were trying to set up the main guy as being clever and figuring out various ways to manipulate the powers of the Objects (like using the Room to open the safe and get at the Clock), or they just wanted to make themselves look clever. He'd do something smart, like remember the castle door and bring a spare door knob, but then forget to bring a battery-operated screwdriver.

It also struck me as Heroes on speed, insofar as they have only six hours to do all their myth building. I suppose when you've got the leisure of a full-season contract you want to take it a little slower, but it'd be interesting seeing them do Heroes as a six-hour mini-series.

The main leads Kruse and Margulies didn't do much for me, but the secondary characters were quirky enough (Kreutzfeld, Destafano, the Weasel, Wally the bus ticket guy) to keep it interesting. Only Dennis Christopher really annoyed me, but he usually does and it's not like they have to make him up to look older - he already looks like all of his 52 years. I could have also lived without the "frame the main character for murder/kidnapping" angle. seemed more like an excuse for a shootout or car chase every hour, as opposed to the break-in in Part 2, which had a kind of vague Mission: Impossible (with magic) feel to it.

I guess I'll stick with it for the next two nights--enough there to pique my interest.
  • Paranormal Peyote

Why does such hokum drama get categorized as science fiction? Okay, the story was addictive, but perhaps this show is the ultimate simplest template for magical realism. Pick 20 random household objects, add supernatural powers, shake in a bag with an occasional scientific term ("conservation of the objects" COME ON!), and bake in a few good actors. The result: entertainment that is tasty to chew, but has the texture of rough gravel when you try to swallow. Yet I must say I was drawn in by the underlying motivation and magic, so luckily it's a meal you can chew for a short period before spitting it out.
  • Awesome show!! My only one complaint is...it ended too soon.

The series was great, with a lot of thrills and suspense but the problem with the series was that it ended unfinished. Don't get me wrong, all the episodes where great. The problem was that it left a lot of questions unanswered and some actions and problems unfinished. How the series ended would be great to end a season...but not the series. In my opinion, they should do at least two or three more episodes to complete what was left unfinished. But in general, "The Lost Room" is an excellent Sci-Fi series. It is very original and it will keep you hooked up 'till the end.
  • A superb programme that has many thrills and spills centring around a strong plot line.

I recently bought the first season on DVD having watched it on sky a few years ago. The whole programme is superb, right from its electrifying start all the way through to it's stunning conclusion.

The six part (on sky it was three 2 hour parts) mini-series has great character development, a strong plot line through the series as well as in each episode and kept me desperate to watch the next episode.

Everyone I've watched this with had been grabbed by it and loved it! I'm guessing it didn't get the promotion it should! I think it's sad that there hasn't been an announcement for a follow up, but this series really does stand up for itself and is well worth the £12 you can pick it up for :)
  • The most original SciFi series in years

This show gets a 10 for originality that's for sure!

I like the idea... Take a Motel full of objects that all have unique supernatural properties and scatter the objects around the world... Get a couple different groups of people who want to possess all the objects and throw a cop in the middle who must solve the mystery of Room 10 in order to save his daughter...

Add to that Peter Krause who is outstanding in everything he does and what's not to like?

I especially like the reality of the characters... In the first episode I was so glad he chose to share the room with his daughter and partner... Having him fight the battle as a secret would just have filled the show with too many unnecessary lies... there are enough secrets surrounding the room and it's objects as it is.

I haven't finished the series yet, but so far so good!
  • The most original SciFi series in years

This show gets a 10 for originality that's for sure!

I haven't finished the series yet, but so far so good!
  • This is a show that is quiet off the wall with the absurd twists that it has...

What works well in this mini-series is the blending of the fantasy of the rooom and real life. It keeps itself serious enough to maintain a good realistic story, but the magical parts are just odd, but they work. they don't become so odd that they feel out of place or completely impossible, but they are just odd enough that something can happened with them and you aren't completely surprised. The acting in this mini-series is also surprisingly good. Peter Krause does a good job as the lead in this, and all of the supporting cast are also solid.

The one bad thing about this is the end. It starts to drop off quickly a they don't know if it should continue into a series or if the mini-series was all that there was going to be. Being that it was the later, the ending is less then satisfying.
  • Absolute waste of time as it is!

1.5
    This show would have been a great start to a most likely great series.....but as it is, it is a complete waste of time because we are left hanging with hundreds of questions and not one answer. It now looks like that all those interesting ideas in the show are completely useless because what is an idea without an explanation? Well: bad writing!

So they should have thought before, if it should be a miniseries or the first season of an ongoing series....as miniseries it sucks completely, as start of a series it would have been great....would there have been a continuation...
  • I loved it so much and am really sad they didn't make a series out of it.

What a good idea, a key to a room, where every object has a special magical power!

I wish I could have the key to any room in the world, like he did.

I've often thought of all the different objects in that room and what magical powers they could have.

I know there was a lot of rubbish ones, like wasn't it the wrist-watch that cooked eggs? How rubbish!!!

Maybe there could be a tooth brush that would repair anything it touched. Or a pair of kangaroo pants, that once put on the head of someone, they would forget everything in the past hour! lol
  • WOW!!!! Why did'nt i get hooked earlier.

I have seen two of the three episodes and I have to tell you that this miniseries has me watching every second in awe and wonder. When i watched the first 10 minutes i didn't know what to think. But after 20 minutes i couldn't stop watching. Its a great story for who likes fantasy/scifi movies and for those who like to puzzle. This was really one of the best scifi shows I've seen in a long time. What also surprised me was when the credits came up that it had not been based on a book. It feels like something based on a book, because it has such a complete and detailed mythology, plus it had something out of the S King or D Kootz genie.

As I said it's a pitty I did not pick up on this series before Christmas as it woul have been at the top of my xmas list for the DVD.
  • Challenges your imagination.

It's all started with a key which can open any doors. (Big deal, right?) And there's a lot of people hunting for the key. (Well, that's to be expected.)

But then you know that it always leads to this one particular 'motel room', that the objects in 'the room' are indestructible, and they all have their own so-called powers. Some are highly useful, some deadly, and some are very very random.

And then you start to guess what the story is about or where it's going to lead.

All I can tell you is, "Happy Guessing!" (and be prepared to receive some pleasant surprise), because if there's a mini series that's best in challenging your imagination, this is it.
  • Best Mini Series

I personally find "The Lost room" to be the best mini series Sci-Fi has ever shown. It was amazingly entertaining. The fact that Joe Millers Daughter is trapped in a room, where he has to discover all these items, which will end up leading him to his daughter..I just wished that Sci-Fi had ended up making this a show, instead of a Mini-Series..I mean I bet i'd do pretty well. But thats just me, I mean I love this Mini-Series. Not that I've watched alot of them, its just this is one, I'd suggest to anyone to watch! 9.5 is what I give "The Lost Room"!
  • It starts with a mysterious exchange for a key. A man interupts claiming the key's his and weilds his weapon-a pen. They're found dead with unknown cause and Detective Joe Miller is on the case. He doesn't know that there's more to this case. A roo

It was funny how my family and I discovered this series. I surfed through the DVDs. We found one case titled "The Lost Room" Intigued, I read the plot. I showed my mom and we both agreed it was nice but then we see the duration: 8 hours.
    We load it once everyone in the family was there. We laugh as we realize we mistook the series for a very long movie.
    As I baked the cookies, we watched. All the episodes of season one-finished in a day.
    A story of great intrigue even my serious and stuborn brother joined us. Even the actors couldn't stop reading the script-or so they say in their interveiw. The Lost Room is a story that opens your mind to a room full of possibilities. Literally.
  • Haunting, exciting, spellbinding!

Haunting, exciting, spellbinding!

There was not a single moment I got bored or drifted away in my thoughts. Not a single dull moment, not a single frame. The Lost Room is one of the smartest and most interesting stories ever written in the science fiction genre. Beautiful photography and haunting camera angles. It has a dark-gray feeling yet it is not depressing at all. It has "scary moments" but not "BOO-like scary moments", rather "stomach-grabber" and "soul-catching scary moments"
    "It is the story of a mysterious room that takes you …", is all you need to know about the Lost Room before you watch. This is a TV movie divided in 3 episodes. But the concept is so clever with endless possibilities and stories that it could be a TV series that could last for a very long time. I loved, loved, loved every split of a second of it.
    It gets 10 out of 10 from me.
  • Dude, how do you just loose your daughter like that? Oh, right. Magic doorway to the creepy hotel room.

This show was awesome - the acting, the concept, the whole deal was terrific. Gives me the shivvers. Only complaint: they canceled it... of course.... But hey, the one and only season is out on DVD! And it's wicked good stuff, with magic and secrecy and objects of power. All older objects too, the sort of stuff you'd see in your dad's pockets (if you're over 30). I loved the addition of a religous cult devoted to this stuff, the whole mythology and terminology. Excellent world-building. The effects were terrific too. All in all, I have no complaints about this show - and I complain about almost everything!
  • I enjoyed in every episode. It drove me crazy not to watch next epidsode afterwards. Amazing show! I really hope they won't cut the Season 2.

I enjoyed in every episode. It drove me crazy not to watch next epidsode afterwards. It was an mazing show! I really hope they won't cut the Season 2. It has a sort of game logic - there's someone to rescue, and in order to do so, you have to go through difficult tasks to accumulate special objects. There's an internal logic to it all, rules to the game, that are discovered as you go. And there's a narrative arc keeping it all tied together.

It was only 5 episodes of Season 1. I feelt was too short!Looking forward to watching Season 2
  • I totally loved this mini series and I can't understand why it hasn't been picked up - but then there's lots of good shows that have gone bye the bye.

Absolutely intriguing plot line - the whole miniseries just encapsulated so many cool things in it and there's deefinitely lots more potential for further exploration. It's 2007 - almost a year if not just over since it was first aired and I have heard nothing positive on the airwaves about it's possible future. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed because this was an absolutely fabulous series.
    The fact that something cataclysmic and world changing occurred in that hotel back in the 60's - the fact that its existence has spawned worshippers, detractors, conspiracies just so much drama and unanswered questions. I think it would be just plain cruel not to put us out of our misery and givus the answer we need in a series of its own.
  • why aren't you watching this show?

i'm utterly fascinated with the puzzle which is the premise with this new sci-fi series.it appears that sci-fi channel is finally listening to us and providing real science fiction instead of just empty space adventures and endless streams of mindless exercises in bad horror."the lost room" is all about rules and the characters who find creative ways to abuse them {Tim power fans would like it, i'm sure}.the writers have came up with cool supernatural powers for a host of innocuous looking object's, like combs, pens, cards, bus tickets, watches, a key, etc.each object has a power and rules to govern them.many of the powers don't seem that nifity, until you see how creatively they are used.and, along those lines, virtually every scene contain's a fun, "hey, that's a good idea" move.they tend to come at you faster than you can anticipate them if you aren't taping the show and hitting pause.it is rare for a movie to be written that i can't guess what the writers are thinking, but this one keeps the mystery surrounding it.overall, this show is definitely worth watching.
  • Brilliant! Twilight Zone meets Lost, in the Lost Zone, I mean- Room..

I wish there were more programmes like this, bring back the supernatural dramas. Such a simple idea which so much stems from. I hope there is a series two, I can't wait to see how they work it.

-A cop stumbles across a hotel key, which through any door can lead him to "The Lost Room". Room number 10. Once in the room, you can exit through any door in the world. Apon recieving this key he also recieves a whole lot of trouble as he enters a world where anyone will do anything to possess the key, and the other objects that come from room number 10.

Totally addictive.
  • The best show I have ever watched in my WHOLE life!

Incredible! Just incredible! I seem to have a problem in expressing my thoughts about this show because words are just not enough! This was the best mini-serie I have ever watched. When it was over, I fell into a void and wanted more. I was like addicted to the concept and the atmosphere, it was soo great! I wish there would have been more episodes, I would definately watch them. I can suggest this mini-serie to everyone who is interested in science-fiction and mystery. In fact, I can suggest it to everyone! The greatest show made my man-kind, thanks for making it, I'm thankful..
  • THE best show I've seen in YEARS!

I'm an old man. Well, at least by internet standards. I actually used to do artwork for one of the very first Star Trek Fanzines back in the '70's! So you can tell, I'm a bit of a Sci-Fi fan. When I saw The Lost room was available on DVD I had never even known it existed. I was wondering, if I was bought it, if it would be any good. I also thought, since it was shown as an original Sci-Fi Channel mini series, that it might be a bit racy. (I don't get Sci-Fi and I can only go by what I've seen from other premium channel faire.) I did a little bit of research and decided to give it a shot since it was only about $15 at WalMart. Man was I surprised!
    This program was so well thought out and so well executed I am totally surprised it wasn't made into a regular series.
    After my son and I watched it, I loaned it to my daughter. And then to my sister. We ALL couldn't believe that a series this good hadn't made it as a regular. Someone should SNAP this baby up. They'd make a FORTUNE.
    As a lifelong fan of Star Trek I can honestly say This show is way better! If you haven't seen it, BUY it. If you're a network exec, Make it into a series!!!

Marcus Tee
  • i like this show

7.9
    The Lost Room is stark noir, pulpy fiction, spiritual thriller, hero's-quest fantasy, and brainy videogame all at once. It's one of the most creative ideas to hit TV in a while. It falls to pieces at the end — but it's so much fun along the way you almost won't care. The three-part Sci Fi Channel miniseries — airing in two-hour blocks on Dec. 11, 12, and 13 — begins where so many other great stories have, in a dingy motel room.

Det. Joe Miller (Six Feet Under's Peter Krause) inherits a mysterious key that opens any door anywhere else in the world — including that shadowy Bates-ian motel room. When his daughter (Elle Fanning) disappears inside, he begins a search that leads him into a surreal subculture. Something cosmic and horrible, it seems, happened in that room on May 4, 1961, and ordinary objects within it have become magical. Some of the objects are silly, like a pencil that makes pennies. Others can be malevolent: a comb that freezes time, a playing card that strikes people down with nightmare visions. Legions of collectors have become obsessed with owning these charmed objects; others want to destroy them. Some believe they are a link to God.

Visually mesmerizing, Lost Room is a pleasure simply to look at: a little girl in a burgundy dress under a triangle of light; decrepit farmhouses on a dusty highway. In addition to having a noir vibe, however, Lost Room is fantastical. A large part of the fun is watching Miller learn to maneuver through his new, weird world, gathering clues that will bring back his daughter — it's like Riven meets Lord of the Rings. Along the way he meets friends (like Julianna Margulies, as a bland love interest) and oddball foes. Breaking Away's Dennis Christopher has a jittery good time as a Gollum-esque obsessive, and Kevin Pollak is slickly menacing as a wealthy collector. Character actor Peter Jacobson nearly steals the entire series as a barky little underdog who sends unkind people to ''hell'' with a slap of his magic bus ticket (they really land outside Gallup, N. M.). ''No man shall judge, tease, or criticize another man — you can't be mean,'' he lectures a towering group of cowboys.

If only Lost Room did more with the good-versus-evil theme, or any theme at all. As much fun as the adventure is, the central mystery — what happened in that motel on that May date that created such cosmic blowback — is never truly explained. The ending is infuriatingly ambiguous, and not in a cool, sci-fi-enigmatic way, but in a mmm-yeah-that's-all-we-got way. Had the writers stayed true to their mythology, this miniseries would have been absolutely stunning. As it is, it's still pretty great.
  • If you like smart, non-sexist, specualtive fiction about basically good people getting pulled into a slightly alternate and more wonderous version of the world and having the adventure of a life-time, then you might really like "The Lost Room'...

The teaser trailer that aired on the sci-fi channel six months beforehand was so engaging and imaginative, that I had a lot of anticipatory pleasure just waiting for it to come out in Dec, and I watched it several times in the intervening months. And then in Dec I was not one bit disappointed. The orginality of the concept and the atmosphere of the mini-series were such a treat (and, a *bit* unexpected coming from the sci-fi channel at that point, although that's much less true these days).

(I couldn't believe that this mini-series was *not* based on a book, because usually when a movie/mini-series has that much quality plot and story, someone took a long time and wrote it as a book - and then it got adapted to the screen later. Kudos to the writers!)

I loved the fact that the hotel and all the objects were *so* 70s, rather than glitzy, shiny 'cool' high-tech - variety is good - and that there was very little sexual exploitation of the female characters - thank you, thank you - and that there was humor laced through-out even though it was mostly a serious story (laughter is like a palate cleanser and leaves you refreshed and ready for the next dose of drama/tension/action, rather than endless dramadramadrama ohmy isn't that sooo dramatic boy I'm disenganging now because the over-dramatization has no meaning any more...).

• One of the best shows in years!

They should definatly make this into a full series! i loved the mini series but it just wasnt long enough! i know it may be difficult to get the actors back, but even if they can't get Krauss, they dont need to, as the door is still open with the key on the floor so they can easily have a new main character! and there was said to be 100 even more objects, and only a handfull of them appear in the mini series so alot can be done with the other 90+ objects!

I think it would be interesting! so i do hope they make somthing of this! it has a lot o fans and im sure they agree about wanting more of this greatness!
  • A key,sunset motel room number ten.this show delivers.and keeps you spellbound by the tv,its a must watch.

the show is the doorway to a fantastic adventure and it captures you and keeps you wishing for more..this show starts of by whirling you right into the plot, not a dull moment follows. the characters are well and thouroghly created and the plot... oh my ...what can i say its a must see.. I had high expectations but it topped each and every episonde... this show roxx... i loved how the series continues with new items appear and one also get the backstory and the touch of magic that so many shows try to create but so few manages to deliver.. this show delivers...and keeps you spellbound by the tv,,,its a must watch,, As the series continues new items appear and one also get the backstory and the touch of magic that so many shows try to create but so few manages to deliver. so do watch it you wont regret it
  • Did they lose the ending too?

I’m surprised to see that this miniseries got such a good reception from most reviewers. I gave the Lost Room a chance. Good actors, a very, very interesting idea with great potential and nice production values. Truth be told, the show kept my attention till the end. Still when it was over, all its flaws were obvious. From glaring plot holes, to a disappointing ending it’s too much to let go, even if you have an open mind. I’m willing to let some things slide, but for God’s sake, the whole show doesn’t even have an explanation. You know as much about the whole “phenomenon” at the end as you do after the first half hour of the opening episode. Some characters, some plots, are just left open, like winking at a sequel. They seem to be in a desperate hurry in those last few minutes, to end the whole thing, leaving everything pretty much unanswered. There’s no sense of closure and it all seems a terrible waste of time. And this concept, as interesting as it is, wont work as a full time show. It will get boring very soon. Even another miniseries might be too much so they should just have given it a proper ending. My guess is the writers just didn’t have any idea how to explain most things, so they just left it like that. It’s a nice show, but not a very rewarding one. I’m glad I gave it chance, I enjoyed it, Julianna Margulies is still hot as hell, but I was left a bit disappointed.
  • this show sure puts ideas in your head..

i loved it absolutely innovative, different,entertaining .. the objects the whole concept of a lost room .. and the rumors flowing around it .. like god died in it .. thats a hit right there.. and the lead actors fit the roles perfectly making this mini series even more enjoyable .. and the idea that enemies can actually turn into friends after they give each other a chance is pretty new in most shows they either torture each other or kill.. but here a different approach to how greedy people operate when in desperation, and the fact that the lost room is a motel room makes it even more intriguing it felt like a was watching a vid from a video game which i always find interesting like silent hill and are you afraid of the dark..to name a few. all in all Great show
  • WOW! I've just fallen in love with this mini series...

I just discovered this show. The story line is truly brilliant. Spiritual quest, father looking for a lost daughter, and absolute control over artifacts. Peter Krause – from 6 feet under is a great actor to watch. The emotions he puts into his roll, is phenomenal. I love the passion he puts into finding his daughter, played by Elle Fanning, after the room is reset. I am glad to see Julianna Margulies – ER Nurse – has returned, I did not follow her in the Sopranos. This is truly an amazing show to show. I am happy to have stumbled on it. Now I just want more...
< 1 2