The Lost World

(ended 2002)

The Lost World Fan Reviews (34)

• LOST Words

Loosely base on SACD "Lost World' story of a lost plateau in time with dinosaurs and cavemen. a group of stranded adventurers fight for survival and search for a way home.

I love this show. It was creative, fun, sexy, charming, and adventurous. Production values were high and so were the story arcs and stakes. Especially during season III. even with cast shortages, financial loss and Union issues production continued and the show remained very strong and original.
  • we want a 4th season NOW!!!!

THIS SHOW WAS THE BEST OF 2000
  • The Lost world was always the best!!!!!! Wish they wuld bring it back :(

Iv been watching Tlw since i was 10 im 18 now and still love it!!!! y did they cancel it!!!! the least they culd do is make one last episode! ,to show us wat happens i mean seriously!! they cant do that to us! everyone was about to die then... oh the show is cancelled! come on!!! my best friend and i still cry over that last episode! :'( marguirite! Roxten!veronica!challenger!malone! all about to die!!!! :,( Wen i was little i believed it was real!! Freak u ask? yes lol but the lost world was awsome!! no matter how old!
  • A decent show that, yes, wasn't the best, but certainly not the worst. It had it's moments and was a pretty good watch overall.

7.2

Season 1 was probably the best because it had really stuck to the novel in the first six episodes, but then started to become more of the Indiana Jones type era which was still good but not as good as the first six episodes.

Season 2 was second best as it concentrated very well on the adventure style themes and did it pretty well. Season 3 was probably the worst. It tried to tie everything together and just came up with this extremely weird plot and difficult to understand storylines. But still, worth a watch if you want to get a mild thrill.
  • The best (old) show ever!!!

This show is my personal favourite, and why? I really don't know :D
    There is something in the show that is catch me and never let me go :)
    The carachters, the story, the locations, the adventures...oh yes, the adventure :)
    Escape from the the T-Rex :D or any evil people or creature :)
    The tomber house was the best :D
    I loved the episodes, that in Roxton and Margaruite jape each other, but they are fall in love each other :)
    I was really sorry that Malone is go away in the third season(?), but I liked the new girl, Finn :)
    And the season finale was the best :-O the different time levelels was awsome
    I really don't understand why had it been cancelled :(
    The best (old) show ever :D

This was my first rewiev :D
  • Entertaining.

7.1
    The Lost World is an excellent action/adventure series inspired by the Conan Doyle book of the same name. Unlike the book, the characters here are trapped in the Lost World and struggle weekly against hostile creatures, inhabitants, and against the mysterious force which created the Lost World.

The show, however, is much more than a simple run of the mill science fiction series, although it works quite well that way as well. The characters are complex, well rounded and interesting. Sometimes they struggle with their relationships with each other as much as with their environment. The growing romance, despite the obstacles presented by their vastly different and emotionally scarring backgrounds, between the Roxton and Marguerite characters has become a centerpiece of the show. The character of Challenger, so brutish and one dimensional in the book, has grown and changed over over the course of the series into a fully developed and interesting character while still maintaining his core focus and scientific genius. The addition of the character of Veronica Layton as the explorer's guide and host on the Lost World was an inspired addition. Veronica brings a humanity and nurturing presence and provides the emotional glue that hold the group together.

Altogether, The Lost World is a unique and compelling show which is well worth your time. Only the most superficial of reviews would dismiss this show as nothing more than another science fiction show. The show offers something for everyone and I highly recommend it.
  • Compelling, Adventurous, Intense

Three fantastic seasons running from 1999 to 2002. This show gave us adventure, comradarie, fun, intensity, and laughter. The characters were compelling and much fun to watch, to see them mature and develope. The writing was excellent and the comedic timing superb. The antagonism between Marguerite and Roxton was divine, as was the tension between Ned and Veronica. The professors were always a great source of humor. Adventure shows like this one are one of my favorites because they can give you everything from laughter to intensity. This one was no exception, it was a phenomenal show and will always be much loved and missed!!!
  • This was an awesome show, why did they ever cancel it?

i really like this show, and have seen a lot of episodes, but i can still not see why they cancelled this series. i started watching this series at the same time as BeastMaster but i have to say that really like this one a whole lot better. The idea of explorers being on an island that was habited by all kinds of prehistoric creatures like dinosaurs is just awesome. i felt that i could almost get to know the characters just by watching one episode. this will always be one of favourite and most original storylines ever that i have seen. later.
  • An exploration crew to discover the secrets of the lost world get lost on the plateau. While trying to find a way back home, they encounter many adventures, including various cultures of humans and dinosaurs! They also find love along the way!

A bit cheesy, but interesting and full of adventure. I found the characters and the interaction between them to be entertaining. The plot was clever and there were many questions presented to which I was eager to obtain answers. I wish they had done a season 4. I would really like to know why was it so difficult to find a way off, where Veronica's parents were (if they were still alive), and if they ever were going to get off the plateau. The setting, that is the plateau, was clever and was able to present many surprises and hold many secrets. I hate that the show had to end with a cliffhanger.
  • I really dont know what to think...

At its best this was a very good, very solid show. The problem was that it was very up and down. For every great episode there was another that left you scratching your head thinking "What the hell were the writers thinking?". One thing I noticed was that the 1st season and a half was consistantly pretty good but after that there were alot of bad episodes mixed in. I gotta believe they changed writers, directors or both at this time. Also, near the end of the last season, you could really tell that the cast knew they probably were not coming back. Jennifer O'Dell in particular seemed very un-interested maybe thinking that running around in a sexy loincloth for a few years was going to lead to big things. OOPS!
  • It is just an all-around good show. I would stay up until 2 a.m. to actually watch this show. I think it is fun and adventerous and i like the fact that they added the bit of romance. It makes it sort of suspenceful for me.

This is one of my personal favorites. I would stay up all night if I had to to see it. It makes my gut clench with anticapation because I don't know if Malone will actually get together with Veronica. It sort of ticks me off that they haven't gotten together yet. Margerite and Roxton tick me off even more because they have already kissed and they are playing ring around the rose with each other. Well at least Margerite is toying with Roxton because I know Roxton wants to be with Margerite. It seems she is not actually sure if she wants to be with him because of the life she has and the way she acts and most of the time is, but then she does very much care for him and wants to be with him that is probably why she acts a bit stranger than usual. Almost kind, ya know? Veronica and Malone have a different situation though. Malone Has someone and in one of the episodes t seems thst he has moved on, but I'm not so sure. If he has he definetly doesn't act on his emotions. That angers me. I just really want those two to be together. I 'm just having a hard time figuring out which one is going to have to leave their homes. It's either Malone stays behind and give up his life back in civilization( I highly doubt this would happen) or Veronica finds her parents and and she gives up everything she knows and goes back with the rest of them. i could thin of about two more theories ,but that would take too long to get in to detail so I'll have to come back and update this review in a month or so. Til then, see ya later.
  • alright.

This show original was birthed from the ideas that brought Hercules and Xena. The Lost World admittedly has diverted from the ORIGINAL book. Unlike other shows that are based on books and end up leaving the central story L.W. finds interesting and new stories to tell which I feel, after reading the original story, are true to Sir Arthur Conan Doles essence of story writing. The characters are developed nicely. Every episode reveals a slightly different part of each character. I found myself mostly intrigued by the character of Marguerite, an heiress, and not just because her blouse was missing buttons in strategic places. The actress playing seemed to have a wonderful handle on the part she was playing. Australian tax laws nearly sabotaged the series' third season; Canadian Orth and American O'Dell were forced to limit their appearances because of their being non-Australians. So Ned Malone was often away on a 'identity-crisis'-fueled quest, and Veronica, whisked away by a runaway balloon, returned later in the season with a pendant her mother had left for her with a distant tribe, and new responsibilities as 'Protector' of the plateau.

• This show is about Love, laughter, quips, strong women, hard times, & total strangers coming together forming strong bonds like family. It's magical & intriguing. The chemistry between the characters will leave you wanting more. It's Addicting

I love The Lost World, this is defiantly a feel good show.
    The chemistry between the characters & the actors is enchanting. I love the story line the women are strong willed & capable of taking care of themselves. I love the quips that give you laughter & ideas of your own.
    This is an all around feel good show. Maybe before it\'s time I know it deserves another chance the fans are loyal & bewitched by this show.
    Check out this board if you think this show doesn\'t have a following.

Kathy
  • Love the show and wish and after reviewing the internet find a lot of people enjoyed the show but due to $$ was cancelled. Wish that someone would look into picking it up again and keeping the same characters!

Started watching early at 5am in the morining while getting ready for work and really got HOOKED! Even wake up earlier now so I don't miss any of it. I enjoy the chemistry the actors have and how the shows WAS progressing and I agree with everyone else regarding Margarete and her progression on the show. She is an outstanding actor and it is ashame the show was cancelled just for $$ vs ratings. Would like the show to be picked up but would like to see it continue away with the four characters with stories from the past, not the future.
  • A strangely attractive show

• A great sci-fi adventure show...at least it is still in reruns.

This was a pretty good television series. As is normal with good television shows, this one did not last long enough. This is a show that I would suggest watching if you get the chance. Check the bargain bins at Wal-Mart, the online movies sites (Amazon.com and such) and all of the cable channels that run old shows. Nick at Nite and TV Land are great for theses kind of shows. They will even do a week long spot for shows that only had 6 or so episodes. Then you have your super stations. They run a bunch of old shows too. All in all a pretty good show that did not get a good enough chance. Sometimes it is a simple as the show it is up against. Look at Law & Order. It is one of the longest running shows on TV. They moved it to go up against Lost. After about 2 weeks of getting pounded in the ratings it was moved back to it's original time slot. Shows like this should be given more of an opportunity.
  • The latest theme

The latest theme went:
    At the dawn of the last century
    A band of explorers searched for a prehistoric world
    Driven by ambition
    Secret desires
    A thirst for adventure
    And seeking the ultimate story
    They are befriended by an untamed beauty
    Stranded in a strange and savage land
    Each day is a desperate search for a way out - of the Lost World
  • Amazons -the first episode where the new direction that the show would be taking in Season 2 is clear - a rewriting of their relationships and a focus on sexy situations. It does keep the excitement and light-heartedness from season one, but Season 2 is a

To strength, courage and loyalty - the virtues of the warrior sisterhood.

The Amazons are masters of warfare and healing -obviously happy in their women-only society and yet open and inviting to these men who have arrived in their village. "Would you like to bathe? Have your muscles rubbed with oil?" On the other hand, they have men secretly imprisoned in their cellar, they trade live bodies to the cannibals for supplies and they lie, lie, lie. Hippolyta who seems to be the most straight-forward of women denies flat-out that they kill men. "We may be warriors but we are not without mercy." But it's a lie. Selena assures everyone that they are welcome guests, but not far away the cannibals are gathering. It raises the question that Ned originally asked "What happens to the male babies." It sure doesn't seem likely they give them to the men to raise (considering the men probably met a nasty end nine months earlier).

She died in battle; she'll be honoured. For now. And later she will be missed.

The Lost World often does a creditable job of showing the price of war. Just like in Tribute when Tyra's lover dies so Thea pays the price of conflict. There is much talk about the insanity of the feud between the Amazons and the men of the next village - and of course the bigger conflict - that between men and women. A sidebar to the main conflict was the ongoing difference of opinion between Marguerite and the rest of the explorers. As the men attack, Marguerite has plans to escape the conflict. Every other explorer shouts at her that they have an obligation to fight - that this most recent outbreak of hostilities was their fault. Marguerite quite eloquently considering the chaos of the situation tries to explain that it was the combatants' own darned fault. The explorers obviously owe the Amazons nothing; Serena's healing of Challenger was eclipsed by the draconian measure of condemning them all to a fiery death.

You alright? Yeah.

Roxton behaves in this episode as if his attraction to Marguerite was knocked right out of him during his fall over the cliff in the Season 1 finale. There are numerous instances where Malone questions the motives of the Amazons. Roxton mocks him as a prude or tells him "I think a man would be a fool not to relax and enjoy the scenery." He seems very taken with Hippolyta (though I believe he did expect Marguerite to show up during his 'celebration of life' with the Amazon woman) and his expressions during the mock sword fight and the banquet seemed quite delighted even when Marguerite was there.

Marguerite on the other hand still seems to be attracted to Roxton. When Hippolyta chooses Roxton as her 'man', the look of shock and dismay on Marguerite's face is very telling. And at the end she is so upset that the usually oblivious Veronica asks if she's alright. I used to think it was because she thought she had made a fool of herself trying to avoid a battle but now I am of the opinion (and an earlier post by Mary Whimsey leads me to believe that she thought the same thing) that Marguerite is miserable because Roxton chooses to minister to an injured Hippolyta at the end. She may very well have felt like he was no longer attracted to her and that nasty combo of jealousy and self-reproach because she had let him get to her was making her cranky. When he leaves the Amazon and comes over to talk to her, she recovers enough to come up with a more typical Krux putdown. "We (men and women) need each other. Like a cat needs a ball of string.

I had no idea you went in for this kind of thing, John.

What an emphasis on sexual situations there is in this episode - Malone with his jolly little menage a trois, Roxton with his young leather-clad lady tied to the bedposts and Challenger - at least with Lady Cassandra he admitted he was a married man. Here he merely stammers that he had 'obligations, duties'. The sword fight is suggestive enough without words, the gradual undressing of Roxton (does it appear that his sword-fighting skills deteriorate as the battle goes on)and slapping of butts with swords, but then there is the dialogue "You're good. You're not so bad yourself." Warming up? Warming up quite nicely." "Had enough? I wouldn't want to finish before you. I think we've both had enough for now."
    My favourite is this little exchange between Malone and his two pals.
    Malone: Have you ever heard the term oiorpata (the Scythian term for Amazons)?
    Phoebe: That sounds like fun.
    Thea: Is it?
    Malone: It's ....Greek.

This episode has not one but two euphemisms for the act itself "serving your purpose" and a "celebration of life" The epilogue is one extended sexual innuendo what with Challenger so distracted by his reverie about Selena that he has his book upside down "I found her very stimulating." (the others laugh) "Intellectually stimulating." The others ask Malone if he served his purpose (we know now after the season 4 summary that he most certainly did). When Veronica asks him if he was ready to serve his purpose at that moment, he eagerly puts aside his journal, ready to do just that. Veronica however had household chores in mind for him.

Other bits and pieces

I feel like I'm back in the trenches.

This episode drops a few clues that are followed up later. This one suggests that Malone didn't spend the whole war in an observation balloon. This is also the episode where Veronica mentions that the Amazons helped her when she was a young girl alone.

Run Marguerite! Run now!

Marguerite is back to her earlier dense obstinate self.
    Veronica:Ssh. Ssh.
    Marguerite: Shush yourself.
    Later,she and Veronica are sneaking through cannibal country whispering in fear and she takes potshots at pterodactyls- you'd think that would be bound to give away their location. Then Veronica yells at her to run and takes off. Marguerite has to stand there and check it out herself. It isn't until she sees hostile natives running toward her that she is galvanized into action.

There are women in our village who do sewing.

Obviously Roxton must have visited one of them to have his buttons sewn back on. However, it sure looked to me like he was wearing the shirt that he was wearing in Barbarians at the Gate (the one whose left sleeve was torn by an arrow.) I would swear that that rip had been sewn up - at least it looked that way during the sword fight.

Thank goodness that the actors could infuse their characters with life and complexity beyond the obvious direction taken by the writers/directors. Rachel Blakely and David Orth were particularly effective in their roles. Jennifer O'Dell also did quite a nice job - she handled the scene where she interrupts Ned and his friends very well - though I was surprised she wouldn't be more hurt by his behaviour. Just another sign of the revamping of relationships for the second season.
  • Some called it cheesy. And I would be one of those people. But I loved it more than most other shows I will see.

Some called it cheesy. And I would be one of those people. But I loved it more than most other shows I will see. Not every show has to be "ER" to be good; TLW was funny, silly and touching, and best of all it was fun.

The show could be an adventure, a comedy, a romance, a drama- and it could be all of them without taking itself too seriously.

The characters were well written, the plots were inventive and the premise was, let's face it, fun. It was very different from the book, and I'm glad of it; they both were enjoyable in their own way.

It's a joy to watch, and I would recommend it to anyone looking for some fun- especially if they're a fan of shows like "Xena", "Cleopatra 2525" or "Lois and Clark."
  • Lost World is about a scientist & his companions who travel to another platto that is hidden in the amazon jungle.

I thought this show was really good i enjoyed whatching it. everyday i get up at 6 a.m just to whatch it. The plot anmd the characters made this a great show. Ever ep. had a different story so that it wouldnt get boring and it worked This show should come back soon.
  • Starts off much like Doyles book, but changes some of the characters as some earlier movies did.

Excellent show that appealed to all ages and familys could watch together. This is my favorite show of all time. To find a show with little violence if any, no sex or foul langauge, yet still exciting is a treasure in these days of shock value. THe chemistry between the characters was superb. The idea of being in a scarey lost world, with danger all around you, but being safe in your comfy cozy tree house and everyone working together to watch your back is the ideal fantasy .The heroes always figure a way around trouble. The music was also awesome. This show was not meant to be a carbon copy of Doyles book, only a story built around some of the characters in the book, and as far as being believable, well how many stories on TV are? Why would we want to watch stuff that is normal all the time? With choices of reality shows, or cops and lawyer shows that portray the ugliness of "real life" and believable things,such as death, murder, deceipt, rape, etc. I'd rather live in the "Lost World" with Challenger, Sumerlee, Roxton, etc. forever. The writers, actors and producers of this show knew what they were doing. It's crappy that they promised another season and left us hanging though without ever finding out what happened to our heroes. There are still many fans of this show and we'd like to at least see an ending maybe in a made for tv movie?
  • Morning

Every morning I get up and what is it that I put on the tele? Why I slap this on. This is the best series besides Lost In Space and Jimmy Neutron. Every morning is the best as I am always in a good mood after watching this. I recommend doing the same.
  • I love the intense and drama. I've learned to love these people like my friends. I wake at 5 am every morning to be able to watch them at 6 am. Unfortunately i didn't see the last show. Please Bring them Back. A true Fan.

I watch the show re-runs and all. I love the the show, the characters, and drama. Makes me want to have an adventure also. I can't get enough and would love to see more of them. The special effects are great. Oh And the lizzard man. Gotta love him. I miss them all.

There are dinosaus & also a jungle girl who befriends them as they try to find a way back home. I love everything about this series except that it went off the air. Was very disappointed about that. I especially miss the banter between Roxton & Marguerite. They were my favorite characters. In short I reccommend "The Lost World" to anyone who likes a classic action/adventure series.
  • it just bleedin rocks yeehaaaw

it just bleedin rocks yeehaaaw this series has is was and will always be my personal favorite series
    I mean I read the book and this series takes it beyond the book ( and thats hard you know ).
    But I never saw the frikkin last episode. :(
    thats the only bummer i ever encountered on that show.
  • They took Conan Doyle's short novel and jacked it up to a point where your head hurts, trying to figure it out.

It seems like they threw every science fiction and supernatural thing together into one place, a plateau. I don't see how possibly can vampires, dinosaurs, ghosts, aliens, lost civilizations, Grim Reaper, lizardmen, werewolves, witches, cannibals, time travel and all other things they stuffed into it could possibly ever live among each other, without interfering. How can they have no wars, people living in the open never being killed by dinosaurs and then all this supernatural stuff. How could none of those things ever escape into the outside world. At most some story lines are just completely random stuff where characters are killed off and then brought back to life. Or they are just seen as ghosts in a few episodes. Season 2 and 3 cliffhangers completely made no sense. Another thing that surprises me is that all those lost civilazations speak English. How is the Lost World really lost if there is about more than a dozen episodes where people from the outside easily come into it including Jack the Ripper. It is just completely mindless stuff, so enjoy it and don't think about it.
  • This whos can be described in one word..........................AWSOME!!

I never really heard of The Lost World, till one morning in June, I was flipping channels and I stumbled upon TNT(the channel its shown on) and I watched an episode and it stuck with me. SOon, I started to get up early in the morning just to see it. I couldnt get enough. I even joined some fan sites and they are great. I was disapointed to hear that it was cancelled back in 2002. I think this show rocks. It seems like every season, they got better and Season 3 was their best. I think that if it didnt get the axe, that it could of had a long great run.
  • A group of exploreres find a prehistoric world and have great adventures trying to find their way home again.

This is one of the best shows out there. A little something for everyone. Great writers in J&G Reeves-Stevens. This is a must see. Watch one ep and you'll be hooked. The storyline is great to follow and the characters have become more developed over the seasons. One of my best favorites.
  • SACD’s Lost World started out strong and got weaker season by season.

SACD’s Lost World started out strong and got weaker season by season. By the end of season three, the story lines are going off in random directions, contradicting previous events and ending with a cliffhanger that is so outlandish that you torn between wanting one more episode, to clear up the bizarre story line (certainly not another season of this nonsense) on the other hand you regret they did quit sooner.

This could have been a great show if the producers and writers had aimed for a firm conclusion by the end of season two. Season three just leaves you shaking your head.

Perhaps the best thing this series provides is a clear lesson to the rest of the TV industry: “Don’t end a season in a cliffhanger unless you are sure you are going to have another season!”

If we could grade each season separately the score would go down for each one.
  • A wonderful show! We need more of it!!!

The Lost World is an excellent show! I watched all the seasons, but I am disappointed that there are only 3!!! The show is a wonderful combination of fantasy, drama, comedy and (extraordinary) romance. What I really like about it is that with every episode you find out more and more about the characters and about their past lives. It would have been really nice to see how the story ends and what happens to the characters. The fact that the show has no end has still left many questions hanging, not to mention that there are still a few mysteries to be solved. It would have also been wonderful to see how Marguerite\'s and Roxton\'s love story develops. The two characters are very entertaining and obviously have some chemistry...! The show is great! There are some who really watch \"The Lost World\" and I think that we do deserve an ending ... Somebody do something!!!!!
< 1 2