The Lucy Show Forums

CBS (ended 1968)

Where has this show gone?

dramafreezone

[1]May 22, 2006
    • level: 16

I'm not even sure there's a current editor for this show, but I guess, sadly, since there are no posts what's the use of having an editor right?  Well if anyone out there is listening, we should try to get this show back on the air or released on some sort of home entertainment medium. 

I do remember watching this show for a very brief time on NickAtNite a few years ago.  They didn't show it uncut like they did I Love Lucy, and lots of times the episode was completely unwatchable from an objective point of view, too bad shows like this get murdered in the name of the all might advertising dollar.  And the VHS and DVD's I've found of this show are basically very low quality and always the same handful of episodes, not even the classics and the best from the first couple years of the show.

Come on people, 20 million posts for junk like American Idol and nothing here?   Egads!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ChasinFury

[2]May 29, 2006
    • level: 1
    I would certainly like to see un-edited versions of this show!  DVDs are certainly needed!  Of all the Lucy shows!

dramafreezone

[3]Jun 5, 2006

Wow, I thought no one would ever respond to my post  heh.

I totally agree, we have to keep great classic shows like all of the Lucy vehicles alive.  I know it's not expensive to make and package these DVD's, I wonder if it's got something to do with distribution rights or something.  I'm just unnerved that this show has been killed off without a proper funeral.  I mean, the series finale of Will & Grace was on the DVD shelves before the end credits ran on the actual tv premier of it....this is absurd!

jmartin7112000

[4]Jun 22, 2006
    • level: 13
    Folks, This great show, which I remember watching in the first run of the last seasons, was never canceled in the truest sense. The last episode aired 3-11-68. In the fall of that year Lucille Ball's 3rd comedy series, "Here's Lucy" aired on 9-1-68. True, it was a different series altogether, and I remember it as such, yet I have read that it was a clever way of continuing the ever-popular "Lucy" character, refurbished for new episode ideas. The fact that Lucille Ball's own childeren played "Lucy Carter's" children, Kim and Craig Carter, was a real ratings grabber. And Lucie Arnaz and Desi Arnaz, Jr., as they were billed, did such a good job. John, 44, Fort Worth, TX
    Edited on 06/22/2006 2:33am
    Edited 2 total times.

jmartin7112000

[5]Jun 23, 2006
    Friends,

By the way, series finales as we know them today were not the norm back in the earlier era of TV. Some shows were canceled without prior notice. When the popular "Gilligan's Island" ended what would turn out to be the last season, the network had picked up the series for another season and everybody in the cast and production crew happily went on vacation. When one of the ranking network "Suits" came back from vacation he saw that "Gunsmoke" had been dropped from the fall lineup. Various sources indicate that either the TV executive liked "Gunsmoke," or "The Suit's" wife liked "Gunsmoke" so back it went into the fall lineup. "Gilligan's Island" was one casualty of that decision. Sherwood Schwartz had the task of informing the actors that they had to get another job!

Such is the world of "TV Land" as it was known in the earlier days. It is interesting to observe that "Gilligan's Island" has held up well in reruns over the decades (and the later "Rescue" TV movies, which I remember well).

Also, how about "Gunsmoke" lasting for so many more seasons, into the early '70s?

Life Is Good!

John, 44

dramafreezone

[6]Jun 28, 2006

Gunsmoke?  I've tried watching this show, it's a pretty torturous task.  Only think I have to say about is that I caught a couple episodes with a character named Dirty Sally, played wonderfully by Jeanette Nolan.  I know this show was spun off at the time and lasted only a short while, too bad, she's the only interesting thing to come out of the Gunsmoke franchise, at least in my opinion.

jmartin7112000

[7]Sep 6, 2006

Dramafreezone!

That's right! "Dirty Sally" was played by Jeanette Nolan, a wonderful character player. The show's run was so brief while that I never even recognized and remembered that this talented actress played her. I also didn't know that this series was a spin-off of a character introduced on "Gunsmoke." Good for you to provide these important facts for those of us who know these tv series.

I never watched "Gunsmoke" actively but I always thought it was a good show. I used to be familiar with the show as a child since it was a staple of family tv viewing in my childhood. Even my parents  would remember earlier first run seasons of this show  from their childlhood. The fact this show lasted for so many years, from the '50s to the early '70s, is remarkable in itself. The fact that it was almost canceled in the late '60s, AND that "Gilligan's Island" was to have been picked up for another season that same year BUT later canceled to keep "Gunsmoke" alive just because a ranking CBS exec. (or his wife?) liked "Gunsmoke" makes a truly unique story, don't you think?

John, 45

ps the story of the "big reason" that "Gilligan's Island" was canceled is an often told story with variations so I give it reasonable credibility

...meanwhile, '"The Lucy Show," starring Lucille Ball...'

Edited on 09/06/2006 3:19am
    Edited 2 total times.

tb485

[8]Sep 23, 2006
    • level: 8
    Perhaps the 4 of us should start a letter writing campaign to TV Land or Hallmark or PAX (er i-SAT) to bring this gem back. Don't get me wrong, I love Lucy and "I Love Lucy" but I'm feeling the need for more...

tb485

[9]Oct 11, 2006
    • level: 8
    UPDATE - The Lucy Show is being seen on the FamilyNet channel, a predominantly religious programming station (Southern Baptist) deeply embedded in the high digital cable numbers (170 here). I stumbled upon it today. Only Wednesday at 4:30 pm Eastern so far.
    Edited on 10/11/2006 1:53pm
    Edited 2 total times.

millerem99

[10]Jul 9, 2007
    • level: 51

Lucy Show fan here! I was not even a gleam in my parents' eyes when this aired, but I LOVE the episodes in which Carol Burnett co-stars! I have on DVD the one in which she moves in with Lucy... comedy at its best!

Surprisingly, I never really got into I Love Lucy, but I would really like to see The Lucy Show come back.

tvking1

[11]Aug 23, 2007
    • level: 42

I used to watch this first-run on CBS, then when the network aired it on weekday mornings. Also Here's Lucy, which some consider to be the same series, but that's another thread. The Lucy Show was initially panned by critics as Dykes Sans Dick, what with two sinlge mothers (a widow and a divorcee) living together, a precursor to Kate And Ally. Nevertheless, it was a huge hit, nearly as popular as I Love Lucy. Lucy was every bit as funny as she was in her earlier pioneering sitcom, and Vivian Vance being in the earlier episodes didn't hurt. There are collections of episodes on DVDs sold cheaply, but not an official release.

Incidentally, when Gunsmoke was moved to Monday nights in 1967, bouncing Gilligan's Island off the schedule, it was immediately followed by The Lucy Show, which was not a casualty in the move to save Gunsmoke. BTW, the CBS "suit" in question was network founder and chairman William Paley. He, and his wife, were huge Gunsmoke fans, and I think that show, from its radio inception, was largely his idea to begin with.

tvking1

[12]Aug 28, 2007
    • level: 42
    To expand on my last post, I wonder if there was any outcry at the time about shows that were considered violent for that time occupying what should be the Family Hour. The 7:30PM time slot (an hour earlier in the inland time zones) was pretty early for Gunsmoke and other shows that aired at that hour throughout the week, such as Cimarron Strip and Garrison's Gorillas. The Lucy Show should have aired before Gunsmoke instead of after, but Bill Paley insisted that Gunsmoke air earlier to ensure its rise in the ratings.

ct02809sb

[13]Jan 26, 2008
    • level: 5

I first saw "The Lucy Show" when it was part of the CBS morning reruns around 1968 - 1969. I was only 3 or 4, so I don't have any memory of the show in prime time.

At that time, "The Lucy Show" was more prominent in reruns than "I Love Lucy", which had already been around for many years.

So, I knew Lucy from "The Lucy Show" long before I ever saw "I Love Lucy". In fact, I was probably in college before I realized that most people consider "I Love Lucy" to be her landmark series.

Edited on 01/26/2008 11:55am
    Edited 2 total times.

SeinfeldMan

[14]Feb 19, 2008
    • level: 5
    There seriously needs to be an official DVD release for the first season. There is no doubt that I Love Lucy is the most popular out of all of the Lucy shows. I haven't really saw Here's Lucy yet. The Lucy Show needs to be in syndication on basic cable network.