The Magic Door

WGN Chicago (ended 1982)

The Magic Door Fan Reviews (6)

6.6
  • Non denominational memory

I remember this show more than any other show I had watched Sunday mornings. I remember always hiding my shoes, we had to leave for church (prodestant) and I always thought if I couldn't find my shoes I would be allowed to stay home and finish watching. I became known as the boy with no shoes at church. Lol, great memories, never aware of the Jewish reference in the show. Simply a very entertaining show.
  • Good for all kids!

My sister and I grew up in a devout Catholic home. But we were TV junkies, too! So whatever was on, if it was even just a little bit entertaining, we'd watch it. On Sundays, there weren't any cartoons in the morning, but there was the New Zoo Revue followed by The Magic Door. It took a while for me to realize that the show was about the Jewish faith, even with the "word of the day", a Hebrew word spelled in Hebrew script! I wish that the words had sunk in, but alas. Thanks, Mr. Gerber, and all who were involved with the show!
  • SONGS FROM THE MAGIC DOOR-10

This is TINY TOV from 1971-1977 the former Chuck Gerber now Charles E. Gerber and can be reached on Facebook.

If perchance you remember any of the songs I wrote, sang and recorded on the show during those years, and you wish to purchase a perfectly digitized CD of ten songs(including the title!). contact me here, on Facebook, or at cbgerber@earthlink.net and I'll inform you just how you may do so! And Shalom to you.
  • Geared towards Jewish children, also helped to teach religious tolerance to all Chicago area kids.

I do remember this show and too would love to find clips or episodes again. It brings back so many memories. Yes, I remember it being aired on Channel 2 WBBM, as well. I can't even find pictures online...I thought the puppet work was really fantastic! Having grown up with my Dad in Chicago television, I was fascinated by all kids shows done in Chicago. There were so many great ones! Ray Raynor, BJ and the Dragon, Garfield Goose and so many others. My Dad interned as the smoke for the Dirty Dragon show and then went on to direct the original Soul Train before it was syndicated.
  • The Magic Door

It was a great show and I would love any info about finding an episode!

I think the summary is incorrect, though. It ran on Channel 2 WBBM in Chicago. (Tried to edit, but website threw me back to homepage.)

I even emailed the Rabbi who played Tiny Tov, but he has no clue where to get episodes either.

If you are an intern at WBBM in Chicago and can get into the archives, there HAS to be footage somewhere down in the vault.

Man, what I wouldn't do to hear 'Aleph Beit' just one more time!?!?!

Anyone with info, please post! More info please!!!! Thanks!
  • A great childrens show about being Jewish and learning the Hebrew language.

A great childrens show about being Jewish and learning the Hebrew language. This was a pretty good television series. As is normal with good television shows, this one did not last long enough. This is a show that I would suggest watching if you get the chance. Check the bargain bins at Wal-Mart, the online movies sites (Amazon.com and such) and all of the cable channels that run old shows. Nick at Nite and TV Land are great for theses kind of shows. They will even do a week long spot for shows that only had 6 or so episodes. Then you have your super stations. They run a bunch of old shows too. All in all a pretty good show that did not get a good enough chance. Sometimes it is a simple as the show it is up against. Look at Law & Order. It is one of the longest running shows on TV. They moved it to go up against Lost. After about 2 weeks of getting pounded in the ratings it was moved back to it's original time slot. Shows like this should be given more of an opportunity.