The Man From U.N.C.L.E.

The Mad, Mad, Tea Party Affair

Aired Tuesday 8:30 PM Feb 01, 1965 on NBC

• The Mad Mad Tea Party Affair/

This episode was the best of the series. I loved it because it primarily took place at U.N.C.L.E headquarters. It was full of intrigue, mystery and plot twists. Had me guessing the first time I watched it. Dick Nelson, the writer did a great job. The Mr. Hemingway character played by Richard Haydn was outstanding. If only the series had continued in this tradition. First season episodes were the best. They were more serious and intriguing then the following seasons were. And the show's first season theme song was also the best.
  • UNCLE is soon to host a conference, but many things start to go wrong -- including an innocent bystander who falls down the hole into Wonderland!

This is a great episode, that is set almost entirely within UNCLE headquarters. I love the set, and seeing it throughout the entire episode was great.

A plane is zeroing in on UNCLE headquarters, and the laser to shoot it down fails. The UNCLE headquarters alarm screams as Solo yells over the intercom system that an attack is coming from above, and everyone should take cover. The plane -- a small model, with no explosives!

The mysterious Mr. Hemingway seems to come and go at ease, causing mischief, and defying almost every system in the building.

Goldfish in the tap water, a UNCLE badge that fails to open doors and sounds an alarm, while the intruder walks around without a badge.

A top-notch episode and unfortunately not available on VHS or DVD.
  • The major focus of U.N.C.L.E. was the innocent who becomes immeshed in espionage - and ends up proving their own importance. This is one of the best examples, as a young woman, discovers her "boring" fiances value after she is thrown into the "Mad, Mad T

This is one of my personal favorite episodes. It has it all - the innocent falling into the insane world of espionage (hence, the "mad" title of the episode), THRUSH on the verge of taking over the world, and our Men from U.N.C.L.E. saving the day (and the young lady).