Dobie Gillis Appreciation Thread

krebsne

[1]Jan 3, 2006
    • level: 4
    I love DOBIE GILLIS. It is my favorite show of all time, hands down.

I first saw it on cable TV in Rock Springs, Wyoming. I think it was on TFN, the Family Channel or some such... I caught it by accident and was immediately hooked. I bought my first VCR to tape it.

I still have two tapes full of episodes, and haven't seen many since then. I've watched them until they are almost worn out.

Many of my favorite episodes- the ones that hooked me on the series- I have not seen since then.

One in particular- the one where Maynard gets a girl who likes to collect tin foil and watch them raise the drawbridge for the boats, etc. I don't remember it word for word but Maynard gives a great speech at the end of that. I hope to find the name of that episode here when I get through them all.

Anyone else want to talk about this show?

I am currently going through and adding reviews for the episodes I remember well. I may just use this site as an excuse to watch all the episodes I have again and review those as well.

And yes, the krebs in my screen name comes from Dobie Gillis. Long live Maynard, RIP Bob!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

JoAndra

[2]Jan 13, 2006
    • level: 1
    "You rang?"
    I enjoy watching DG on DVD, when I get the chance. Like, a really neat show, man! Do you have a favorite episode or do they all pretty much appeal to you equally? I have too many faves, so I'll just leave it at that. Well, gotta get back to "werrrrrrrk."

JohnMac947

[3]May 12, 2006

Looking for episode 92....Happiness Can't Buy Me Money

John     Johnm947@aol.com

Edited on 05/12/2006 9:21am

IndianaMom

[4]Aug 26, 2006
    • level: 54
    I really liked this show. I watched it back when it was on CBN, which is now ABC Family. I can't remember any episodes specifically, because it's been so long since I've seen it. I have snapshots in my mind, like: Dobie in front of the statue of The Thinker, the classroom with the same teacher in high school and college, a place with a bench (was it a park, or someone's yard), and the grocery store.

dogbreath123

[5]Sep 11, 2006
    In a store called Coffee Haus on day there were 3-4 student types arguing "isms", there was jazz playing, and there was a guy with a goatee and beret reading Jack Keroack. the only things missing were Maynard and Dobie in the best roles either actor would ever play!

dogbreath123

[6]Sep 11, 2006
    Why isn't Dobie Gillis on DVD?

dgs1999

[7]Oct 2, 2006
    • level: 3
    This was my number one clasic TV show that I wanted to see put out on DVD. I finally had to buy a TV recording that was then ripped to DVD. Not the greatest quality but it at least includes all the episodes on 31 DVD disks.

Angelo_emir

[8]Apr 29, 2009

Hello ... where can I download the Internet some episodes of this wonderful series? Thank you.

Angelo Emir.