TV.com will be making changes to the Private Message system the week of Jan 26, 2015. For more information click here

The Marriage Ref Forums

Sunday 10:00 PM on NBCIn Season

Do You Think This is a good show?

Kelanthayet

[1]Jun 18, 2009
    • level: 5

Do you like this show or not? Why or why not? Explain your reason in your post (if anyone even posts).

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

MiraT78

[2]Aug 11, 2009
    • level: 8
    No way to know until it airs, but I'll check it out

Hoeech

[3]Aug 28, 2009
    • level: 66
    The concept seems like a good one. A lot of people feel that the problems they face in their marriages are unique and unmanageable. It might do some good to show that other people are going throught the same thing. Given with the bizarre twists that Jerry Seinfeld and his friends are bound to put on things, the problems may not seem to be so insurmountable.

JohnTurner

[4]Feb 17, 2010
    • level: 2

Well the preview commercials are airing now.

The basic concept is that a mixed panel of A-list comedians and TV marriage experts sit on stage in a live-audience studio.

They watch (along with the the home audience and the studio audience) a show-within-the-show, previously taped, featuring a different married couple each week.

They comment on what they see. Their comments are a mix of expert observations and advice, and scripted jokes at the expense of the married couple.

For the final segment the married couple appear live on screens behind the panel, hear the panel's advice and exchange scripted jibes with the panel.

The previews cherrypick a few big bellylaughs on stage among the panel. The show has joke writers so they are laughing at scripted jokes. For the first week the A-list comedians are NBC alums Jerry Seinfeld and Alec Baldwin. Other weeks will see somewhat less star power (the "A-minus" list?) but the same writing.

The show works like daytime TV, but because it airs after 10pm "The Marriage Ref" supposedly can push the bounds of commercial television -- frank talk about relationships, sexual difficulties, religious arguments. Ehh. Daytime shows already prowl the bars of what advertisers and regulators will tolerate, the cage doesn't get much roomier in primetime.

The show also promises a refreshing dose of reality -- real married couples, real problems, real advice. But it's going to be a scripted show with a coached audience and rehearsed on-air talent -- no more spontaneous than a white wedding, really.

My prediction? It will run all this spring and summer, then quietly disappear.

maradonaq8

[5]Feb 28, 2010
    • level: 19
    this show is horrible !! i can't believe Jerry is doing to this. the judges over-laugh so much its actually pretty pathetic. its sad that NBC has come to this.

Antame

[6]Mar 1, 2010
    • level: 1

I totally agree. What's up with all the fake laughing! It's not going to convince us that the show is funny. Especially the FAKE Ripa...I just hope she doesn't get another guest spot on the show. She is NOT funny. Baldwin, on the other hand, was surprisingly funny, as was the host.

kravitzfan12

[7]Mar 1, 2010
    • level: 34
    I thought it was pretty good. I mean, it's supposed to be mindless entertainment; a nice way to unwind before going to sleep, and I think that that's exactly what it did for me. I'll definitely be tuning in again!

gumperman

[8]Mar 3, 2010
    • level: 11

it was lame. i thought it may be funny since it is from jerry seinfeld, so i gave it a chance. but it was just a waste of time. the so called 'problems' these couples had to me were pretty ridiculous and it was obvious what the outcome should be. so i thought it was pointless and lame and i will not watch this again.

Phrosty2004

[9]Mar 6, 2010
    • level: 5
    It's kind of inherently flawed...if you want a comedic show about marriage, the problems have to be innocuous, and thus end up being obvious and dumb. Dealing with REAL problems where there isn't a clear person in the right would take away any comedy to be had. That and the fact that the over-laughing makes me cringe

Hoeech

[10]Mar 18, 2010
    • level: 66
    OK. It's toast.