The Marvel Superheroes

(ended 1966)

The Marvel Superheroes Fan Reviews (2)

• The Marvel Super Heroes was a syndicated series that was stared to a large degree as an answer to the Superman Cartoons launched on CBS. They were poorly animated compared to Superman--but the scripting was MUCH better!

When CBS announced they would come out with an animated Superman series--it evidently occurred to the folks at Marvel that they were missing out on a lucrative market! The fact that they RE-acted instead of planning their series independently probably had a lot to do with the fact that their version had limited animation and only a syndicated deal instead of a network contract like their competitor D.C. (Detective Comics--home of Superman and Batman). Their scramble to get something on the air quickly no doubt led to a much smaller budget,also contributing to the aforementioned limitations. Their STRENGTH, however, was their willingness to convert plots almost verbatim from the comic book pages--leading to stories that were vastly superior to the Superman--and later--the Superman/Batman animated series.Even though I was still a pre-teen, I found the Marvel series fascinating--Iron Man--The Hulk--Thor--
    The Sub-Mariner (Prince Namor) and (of Course) Captain America were great fun to watch--and having 4 characters instead of 2 had much more variety--moreso--when they used old AVENGERS Comics plots in some of the Captain America episodes (since C. America was leader of the group)--which gave viewers a chance to see Hawkeye, Giant Man (also known as Ant Man earlier) and the Wasp (his wife)and a few other heroes in addition to the 4 lead characters. It also had the distinction of being the first animated superhero show to feature a group of heroes , instead of the usual loner or hero and sidekick combo (predating D.C.'s SuperFriends by at least a year.) I had read a few Marvel comics before this--but the TV show really made me into a steady consumer of the Marvel Line! I would recommend this series to anyone--either children who would like to see great stories and experience
    the early influences on their parents or grandparents--and its great nostalgia for older folks who don't read comics much anymore!
  • This show got me into fandom

When I was ten years old, I was aware of Superman and Batman, but I had never heard of Marvel comics. Then one Sunday afternoon, the Merry Marvel Marching Society premiered on a local channel in Los Angeles. This of course was long before the days of cable, back in 1966/67. I was instantly transfixed and despite the fact that there was little or no animation; there was something about the show that moved me. Perhaps it was just radio with pictures, but it didn\'t matter to me. The voices, the music, something about it appealed to my ten year old brain. I immediately hunted down marvel comics. For a year or so, I lived, breathed and eat comic books. But the fad died down, and come 1968, I stopped collecting. But at the back of my brain, I always wondered, did the invisible girl ever have her baby? About five years later when I was in high school, I started collecting again, this time in earnest. I started going to comic book stores, and conventions, and then to more general conventions. I met my wife at one such convention, and a lot of my closest friends. Periodically I rewatch some of the old episodes of this show, with a new understanding. You can actually tell which issues were used to make the show. But despite the cheese facture, there was genuine heart. Not too bad for a largely forgotten cartoon.