Anyone can make a "regular" prediction about the new TV season (example: Dads won't win an Emmy for Best Comedy), but can you make a BOLD prediction? I'm talking out-of-the-box, against-the-grain, up-the-down-escalator type of prognosticating here. I asked a few members of the TV.com staff to make some big guesses regarding what we might happen this fall and threw in several of my own; you'll find them below, along with why we think they're possible.

Make your own bold predictions in the comments, and if we get enough of them, we'll collect the best ones in an all-user "bold predictions" story. Remember, bold is beautiful!

Bold Prediction: Dads will air its entire 13-episode order

WHY IT'S BOLD: The sitcom was pegged by many critics as the worst new comedy of the season and drew all sorts of side-eyes for its use of lazy jokes sprinkled with racism. 

WHY IT COULD HAPPEN: You know who's one of the creative forces behind Dads? Seth MacFarlane, who also owns 49 percent of Fox. Well, not really, but he's responsible for a lot of Fox's Sunday success thanks to Family Guy and other animated series, he's got Cosmos coming, and he's considered a real prize in the TV world. That kind of relationship earns him a few free passes, and Fox will keep Dads on the air so it doesn't have to deplete its comedy stock while it focuses on all those miniseries it has planned for next year. As history has proven time and time again, just because a comedy is bad doesn't mean it won't air. —Tim Surette 

Bold Prediction: The Crazy Ones will go down in flames

WHY IT'S BOLD: The series is one of the most-talked about new sitcoms of the season (in a good way and not a Dads way) because it marks Robin Williams' first foray into TV in 30 years, and Sarah Michelle Gellar's return to the small screen after that horrible Ringer disaster we all like to pretend never existed.  

WHY IT COULD HAPPEN: The buzz leading up to this series is probably far more than it deserves; the pilot wasn't that strong, and probably only made it to series based on the big names attached to it. Expectations are very high, and there's a lot of potential for a letdown—especially once viewers see how unoriginal and cringe-inducing it can be. —Kaitlin Thomas

Bold Prediction: Sleepy Hollow will be the season's surprise hit

WHY IT'S BOLD: The supernatural drama isn't generating much buzz, and its ridiculous premise doesn't exactly scream blockbuster.

WHY IT COULD HAPPEN: We watch television for entertainment, don't we? Well, Sleepy Hollow—which combines "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow," bible stories, the Revolutionary War, and a police procedural, not to mention a headless menace with a huge axe—is one of the most entertaining hours of the season, even if it doesn't make a whole lotta sense. Producers Robert Orci and Alex Kurtzman have found a happy medium between insanity and fun with this bastardization of the famous short story, and it's just the sort of series that will please a large chunk of the population even if lots of people don't love it. The show is perfect for DVR-viewing, and Fox is also giving it an encore airing on Fridays that will catch even more eyeballs. Plus, its early start (it's the first new scripted network series to debut this fall) will help it out even more. —Tim

Bold Prediction: Community will be back on the air before Christmas

WHY IT'S BOLD: After oodles of on-set and scheduling drama, the firing of series creator Dan Harmon, and a much-maligned fourth season, few people expected the show to even come back for another round. But somehow it eked out a Season 5 renewal to become one of only two returning comedies at NBC, then was promptly shown to a spot on the network's "unscheduled midseason replacement" bench.

WHY IT COULD HAPPEN: Once known for its critically acclaimed comedies, NBC is also known for reversing course on some of its grandest—and in many cases most misguided—plans. Once some of the network's new fall sitcoms start to flop and the network is regretting its decision to ever move forward with its "broader comedy" initiative, it'll need to fall back on something, and Community's renewed buzz—Harmon has returned to the showrunner's seat, and the series has announced lots of big guest-stars for Season 5—means October 19 could actually fall on October 19 this year. —Jen Trolio

Bold Prediction: Nicholas Brody dies in Homeland Season 3

WHY IT'S BOLD: Along with Emmy-winning actress Claire Danes, Emmy-winning actor Damian Lewis is one of the show's two leads.

WHY IT COULD HAPPEN: The producers of the Showtime hit weren't even sure that Brody was going to make it out of Season 1, but Showtime convinced them to bring him back for Season 2, so they're obviously not afraid to say goodbye to the character. Homeland is a lot more about Carrie than it is Brody, and their relationship—the beating heart of the program's first two seasons—has become unsustainable. A man who's wanted for terrorism and a bipolar CIA agent simply can't be together if the show wants to retain any shred of believability; their fling has run its course, which means Brody is expendable because Carrie isn't going anywhere. This series is ready for a reinvention, and it starts with burying Brody. —Tim

Bold Prediction: Anna Gun upsets Maggie Smith in the Emmy race for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama

WHY IT'S BOLD: The Emmys love movie stars, and Dame Maggie Smith is definitely a movie star. Plus, she's won the statue twice for her portrayal of the Dowager Countess on Downton Abbey. And people are probably afraid to vote against a dame. 

WHY IT COULD HAPPEN: Downton is no longer the drama it once was, and while Smith is still the best thing about the British import, not even she can keep that ship afloat. Her past wins have never been about her acting; they've been about who she is and what we know she's capable of. Anna Gunn's performance as Skyler in the first half of Breaking Bad's final season was spectacular. She far out-shined Smith with her acting; while Smith was good, Gunn was better. Yes, the Emmy voters do make lots of questionable decisions, but I have faith they'll do the right thing this time. —Kaitlin

Bold Prediction: Revolution will improve big-time, but that won't help it get a Season 3

WHY IT'S BOLD: Season 1 of the NBC sci-fi series was dissed by creator Eric Kripke himself, and by May, the show had lost a large portion of its initial audience.

WHY IT COULD HAPPEN: I'm kind of cheating on this one because I've seen the Season 2 premiere and whoa! It's a lot better than what we last saw. And with an overhauled writing staff (Supernatural's Ben Edlund and sci-fi vet Rockne S. O'Bannon joined the crew during the offseason) and some hard lessons still fresh in Kripke's mind, the quality should continue to improve. But the show never earned the devotion of its audience, which mostly stuck around to find out what caused of the blackout and never intended to watch Season 2 anyway. Add in a move to 8pm on Wednesdays and you're looking at a show that will never return to its glory ratings, even if it becomes the Citizen Kane of post-apocalyptic power-outage shows. —Tim

Bold Prediction: S.H.I.E.L.D. debuts H.U.G.E. but falls fast

WHY IT'S BOLD: S.H.I.E.L.D. and its gratuitous punctuation are all we've talked about all freaking summer; to call it the most-anticipated new series of the fall is an understatement at this point. 

WHY IT COULD HAPPEN: Hype is a cruel mistress; no matter how many people turn out to watch the premiere, no matter how many Joss Whedon fans profess their undying love for it, no matter how big a blockbuster The Avengers franchise might be, S.H.I.E.L.D. is nevertheless going to be a genre-y show that's scheduled on Tuesday nights alongside a handful of mismatched and not-particularly-buzzworthy new series and against CBS's most powerful acronym: NCIS. Plus, ABC still hasn't sent the pilot to critics who didn't catch it at Comic-Con or the TCA press tour, and at this point it's starting to feel like they're hiding something. Yes, tons of people will tune in at the outset, but that doesn't mean they'll stick around until May. S.H.I.E.L.D. could be this year's Revolution—Jen

What are YOUR bold predictions for the new fall season?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 8/15/2010

Season 3 : Episode 4

155 Comments
Comments (155)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
my predictions: Crazy one-out, Mom-out, The Millers-out, Shield-out, Super fun night-a real stinker, Sleepy Hollow-possible keeper. Most of the new shows are really awful-glad they moved up the return of Mike & Molly from 2014 to Nov. 4th.
Flag
Hostages was a big disappointment, hubby, son and I did not like it. Loved The Blacklist! Ditto hubby and son. Agents of SHIELD was okay, better than Hostages. Moms was average, Dads is awful. Brooklyn Nine-Nine is not fine for me but hubby and son love it. Still loving The Voice, X-Factor is just plain awful, uninspiring and insipid. Bye, bye Simon.
Flag
Bold prediction?
Tim will write his first review of a new comedy that isn't funnier than the entire season's comedy lineup, and then he'll write one review of a drama that isn't funnier than the entire season's comedy lineup. Then the world will end. Or not.
Flag
Bold Prediction: The Crazy Ones will go down in flames

is this really bold? i've been saying it since i saw the 1st preview. looks horrible.
Flag
Shield will be the same as past tv shows... Terra Nova was "rumored" to be a hit. Awake didn't survive either...
Flag
yeah thats what im afraid of. being another firefly or dollhouse for JW.
Flag
He should bring back Angel, and Buffy...
Flag
never watched them
Flag
As usual I won't comment until I watch a few shows. I loved Sleepy Hollow. Not impressed with Dads but then again not a fan of McFartlane. I also have a funny feeling S.H.I.E.L.D. will go the way of Heroes, No Ordinary Family etc. Which is weird because I love Arrow. Good call on Anna Gunn. The Crazy Ones leaves a bad taste in my mouth from what I have watched in the previews.
Flag
Bold predictions? Let's see... In the next few months I'm going to date Tracy Spiridakos!
Flag
BOLD Prediction:Almost Human starts strong and continues that way through to a second season!
Why it's bold: FOX has had a number of similarly themed, sci-fi/procedural shows: Fringe, Alcatraz, and Touch to name the most recent and noteworthy. They have been good enough about getting their shows a look-in crowd, but they have all fallen far and fast with Fringe a perennial bubble show, Touch securing its second season so late that no one noticed and whose corresponding episodes were then burned off. Alcatraz didn't even make it that far.
Why it could happen: With this show, they've been given another show with the same feel, but this has the advantage of being of Fringe quality and pedigree. Where Alcatraz and Touch suffered from middling quality, plot and characters, this show is tight and well formed and has the feel of another strong quality program. FOX will be able to draw on mistakes made and things learned when trying to market those shows, but most especially Fringe. This isn't a new thing, FOX has been trying to grab solid Sci-Fi cred for a while, and the season 5 renewal for Fringe, late as it was, built them some leeway with fans, and as long as Almost Human continues to deliver the goods, it could go all the way.
More+
Flag
The fact that the commercials show a member of the supporting cast as essentially a laugh track for Robin Williams says to me that The Crazy Ones is an almost guarnteed flop.
Flag
ABC: Betrayal, Back In The Game will be canceled after two episodes. Super Fun Night will air a few episodes and then they'll swap it with The Neighbors on Friday nights. Hard to believe that The Neighbors got a second season when Malibu Country performed better, but with it being on Fridays, it'll be cancelled before the end of the second season. Nashville (my favorite) hopefully will begin to improve since the only 10pm competition is CSI. CBS: We Are Men and The Crazy Ones will be canceled quickly. Mike & Molly will be back on the air before 2013 is over. Two And A Half Men (which should have been cancelled two seasons ago), whill hopefully start to drop and finally be cancelled. NBC: all the so-called comedies will be canceled (hopefully anyway). With Parenthood's move to Thursday's it's as good as dead (unfortunately). FOX: Sleepy Hollow will be the only new show to survive. Raising Hope on friday is as good as dead.
Flag
Back In The Game isn't that bad... Super Fun Night was great and the ratings were fairly good. The Crazy Ones was terrible and I can not believe that 15mil + watched that nonsense.
Flag
I definitely think Sleepy Hollow is going to be the surprise hit. Now that the pilot has aired, it is starting to generate some buzz, and I loved the pilot. I thought it would just kind of be wacky fun, but it was even better than that, and the rest of the season looks promising.

I think you're probably right about Revolution too, which is a shame, because with Edlund coming over and Kripke obviously aware of what went wrong with Season 1, it could into a pretty good show. I'm glad to hear the premiere is good; I've decided to give the show a second chance. But I'm probably one of the few that will.

I think you're wrong about S.H.I.E.L.D. Joss hasn't disappointed yet; the problem for his shows has always been that they're not getting enough hype. Given that this show is, it seems unlikely it will flop. The show itself would have to turn out to be pretty bad, and I have enough faith in the creators that that won't happen.
Flag
1.Dads have a great cast but the concept sucks
2.The crazy ones isnt gonna last
3.sleepy hollow is gonna shock everyone and become a hit it reminds me of once upon a time
4. No opinion
5 no opinion
6. no opinion
7.i watch revolution and then i left thinking it wasnt gonna get renewed for a season 2 but im back and i highly doubt season 3 will happen
8. i just feel like all the hype Marvel Agents The SHIELD IS getting its gonna be a huge disappointment
Flag
My Prediction??....................(looks into the camera......"PAIN"!!!!)
(1)Dads wont make the full 13( Great cast..HORRIBLE SHOW)
(2)If The Crazy Ones emphasizes drama over comedy. (Think of a MAD MEN set in 2013) I would watch..but it looks like its going the other way so i'm out!! but this one could have legs..
(3)Sleepy Hollow..When it comes to high concept shows all i can say is i hope a couple of FOX big wigs are in love with this show and let it breathe!! Fringe did make 5 seasons!! but the odds are against it so i will say no breakout..and no 2nd season..
(4) I don't think you bring back Dan Harmon to just just be jerked around.But i agree on this one..Xmas it is. But please make it sooner NBC!!
(5)Haven't seen yet.. On my List
(6) No Opinion
(7) Hey! TV.COM! Should i watch Revolution?? LOL
(8) MARVEL. AGENTS OF SHIELD=( Totally agree.. Fans are gonna start asking where's The Avengers? The Phil Coulson show better bring the HEAT!! otherwise fans will just wait for the next Avengers movie!! That would be THOR:DARK WORLD coming soon!!
(9) Two of my own thoughts or predictions. The Blacklist with James Spader look BADASS!! Hostages looks GREAT..But how do you stretch out a good movie idea 13 weeks?
More+
Flag
I think you are bang on about S.H.I.E.L.D.S
Flag
Dads: It will air all 13 going far into December and be replaced in January.
The Crazy Ones: Will stick around a full season, but be canceled in May.
Sleepy Hollow: Will go all 13 and in May will be a bubble show, but be canceled.
Community: In mid-November Community will replace a failure (SSTW I think) and go through January, airing around 6-8 episodes. Undateable will take that timeslot after the Olympics, and the other new comedy on Thursdays will have gotten additional episodes (bringing the total to around 18). Community will take the place of that comedy (WTTF I think) starting in April, and air the remaining 5-7 episodes there.
S.H.I.E.L.D: Will be a success.
Flag
Totally agree with your Dads assessment, also because Fox keeps bad shows on longer than good ones... (sigh, I really need to get over the Firefly and Dollhouse stuff).

The Crazy Ones, I'm not sure. It could improve, and CBS' comedies get ratings that I don't always understand, so maybe it sticks around.

Sleepy Hollow - YES! The pilot was fun and that hour went by quick! I look forward to more.

Community... I really WANT it on the air ASAP.

Homeland, couldn't agree more. I love Damien Lewis, but think the character has run his course and that it could propel great storytelling.

Anna Gun deserves it!

Revolution and S.H.I.E.L.D. Well, I quit watching Revolution because it was not good. I would love to hear that it improved, and maybe if it gets a season 3, I will check it out. And with Agents of SHIELD, I really hope you are wrong. Mostly because it isn't just sci-fi, but comics. And the comic book fans are pretty crazy awesome.
Flag
All this talk about Brody's death has given me an idea. In the vain of the Dead Pool, what if tv.com hosted a Death Pool? In which we could vote on the chances of characters dying in all the drama shows.

Flag
I nominate the entire cast of Game of Thrones.
Flag
That would be fun. But there might be a lot of death with some shows. Especially with a Headless Horseman running around primetime!
Flag
I love that idea :)
Flag
Alrighty, here's mine: The Tomorrow People will be the first scripted show The CW cancels this season.
Flag
I think that Reign will be cancelled before The Tomorrow People.
Flag
On Dads, not only will having Seth MacFarlane as creator help the situation, but the show is already likely to garner interest from viewers because of all its bad publicity (think The Neighbors last season). Plus, it'll be followed by Brooklyn Nine-Nine, which on the opposite end of the spectrum is being heralded the best new comedy of the season. So yes, I think it will last the 13 episodes, and wouldn't be surprised if it even got a full season.

I don't disagree with what is being said about The Crazy Ones (great cast is all it really has going for it), but in comparison to the other comedy block it's up against it looks like it could stand a solid chance, at least for a season. The Big Bang Theory, The Millers, The Crazy Ones, and Two & A Half Men on CBS looks a lot stronger than Parks and Recreation, Welcome To The Family, Sean Saves The World and The Michael J. Fox Show. on NBC. If this block shows signs of a tough competition though I expect to see time changes for some of the shows.

A month ago I would have said Sleepy Hollow being the season's surprise it was quite the bold statement, but being the first new fall show to premiere and with the amount of buzz that it's received it could potentially happen. I still think Fox is more likely to keep Almost Human over this though.

While I'm sure some of NBC's new comedies will tank, there's not all that much of them on the schedule anyway, so Community will probably stay where it is for now.

Homeland has done an incredible job at reinventing itself, not sure if it needs to do something so drastic to stay fresh, but if it served a reasonable creative purpose I'm all down for Brody to die.

I hope Gunn does win, haven't watched Downton in a while, but I'm pretty sure Smith can play her stereotype of a character in her sleep.

I love your Revolution call. Watched the first couple of episodes and never got back to it myself, but it would be a shame for it to improve and then not succeed (although I think at this stage viewers seem desperate for a change, so they're seeing any change, such as new writers, as good. It could also be a last ditch scramble to save the show that might end up doing it more harm than good creatively).

I'm conflicted about SHIELD. I'm a devoted Whedonite, so I want the best for Joss, and he wants this show. I myself would prefer him doing some original work, but I'm not going to scoff at anything the man is willing to be involved in. So for Joss, I hope it's a mega success, so that in 6-8 time the series will end, he'll be rich, he'll own Hollywood, and he'll be able to do whatever he wants.
More+
Flag
Ok so I'm not crazy; I've seen the trailer but not the pilot, I did not laugh and was unimpressed; I like Robin Williams and SMG but I think the crazy ones will fail if it isn't truly funny, I hope for SMG that this is a hit because I've been a fan since Swan's Crossing.
Flag
interesting that Revolution is getting better! Anna Gunn needs her dues, been brilliant this season. Also agree with Homeland needing to move on, otherwise its going to get like the Tony/Ziva situation in NCIS, which was promised but never worked out but streeetched out for soooo long. (although Cote is leaving now)
Flag
...but there`s no reason not to have seperate Brody/Carrie storylines, so we`ll see how it goes on. I do like Homeland.
Flag
Full 900 weight bold predictions? Nice! ...No, you lazy bastards, you just used "bold" as your font weight! That's not bold enough! (And three web nerds got that CSS reference. One scoffed, one chuckled, and the last is considering explaining why using 900 weight is poorly supported by W3C standards and dubiously-implemented across various platforms.)

Dads getting a full airing on Fox is not bold, the power of MacFarlane got Cleveland Show picked up for a full run and second season before America even saw its pilot, this is not challenging. Bold would be saying Dads will get a second season pickup, but that's the kind of bold that gets people locked in asylums against their wills because this much onscreen talent is going to be expensive compared to voice actors, and its terrible ratings will not support a second season pickup hopefully ever, but at best not until late in the post-season mop-up.

The Crazy Ones is a bold prediction I can agree with, Robin Williams is great, but hasn't done sitcoms in decades, and marketing has been focused solely on him. Since Williams is an acquired taste and nothing else here has much appeal, down in flames isn't unlikely, folks will tire quickly and the paychecks will drag it down.

Fox hasn't got much, so Sleep Hollow will be a surprise hit by Fox standards, but the secret will be that those are low standards and genre-bending nonsense is expensive so it'll not be an "instant renew" hit.

Community on the air before xmas? Not a bold prediction given the dreck NBC is going to be pushing out the airlock before we get there. Parks & Rec and Community will have to pull NBC's sad bootstraps up to their mediocre waterline from the last 2 years.

Ha, I have no idea what Homeland really is.

Ha, I have no idea what Downton Abbey really is.

Ha, nobody has an idea what Revolution really is. Also, NBC will tinker it to death a la Heroes (minus a good first season) so it'll not resemble its season 2 premiere by the time we get through spring '14.

Your SHIELD prediction is what I'm expecting to happen, they've built up hype with the idea of this show but the marketing says there's little to back that up, they've said virtually nothing about it. Also, it's an island unto itself on ABC, they have nothing else with which to keep that audience, it's like handing someone a handful of roast beef and then telling them the only bread the restaurant carries to put it on is a variety of cupcakes. I'd call it slightly bold only because as a prediction it's not counting on the lack of competition to drag it down this season, NCIS is loudly announcing it's going to get worse this season, Fox is putting its worst foot forward, and I think NBC probably has something or other to screw up their schedule with as well (because they're NBC and that's all they know how to do anymore).
More+
Flag
Dads will get a second season and Revenge is going to be canceled.
Flag
Also, no way will ABC shy away from getting syndication next season.
Flag
Revenge will have the best comeback this season.
Flag
I hope you're right! Because it was such an awesome show in its first season, and it was something I really looked forward to watching every week. With Les Revenants on hiatus, alot of shows declining in quality or finished/cancelled, I no longer have that.
Flag
Go On will get a surprise resurrection because NBC will fast run out of anything else to show on the air.
Flag
I WISH.
Flag
Wishful thinking thumbs-up, but I appreciate the enthusiasm for a great show NBC of course let go. The contracts are in the trash, the talent is spread to the wind, it's just not going to happen unfortunately.
Flag
With regard Homeland, I think it would be a bold but safer move to have more Brody and less Carrie once the inevitable fallout of last season settles. That could be the swerve Showtime employs to keep it's two top runners. Damian Lewis acting style and the Brody character as a whole remain far more likable and engaging for longer on screen periods of time than Dane's Carrie - and that's not to overly critique Danes, somewhat, grating Carrie. Brody has the benefit of being a seriously deep and dark potential field asset, whereas, Carrie is somewhat blown with the agency overall. But hey, perhaps that means she gets to be a black ops deal too now...
As far as the rest goes, meh. It's another year, thus far, of same old, same old.
Flag
Prediction: The Killing will be un-killed and return for another season (at least i hope so).
Flag
Both S.h.i.e.l.D. and the Crazy Ones look really bad, even in the trailers. Could be just that Avengers were so good, but my expectations are really high and hard to meet on that one. Especially when everyone cast is a twenty-just-something underwear model + Agent Coulson. The Crazy Ones is just plain bad. Robin Williams looks alone in this show, over-playing almost every single scene just by being himself, whereas whatshername Buffy is terrible. Pretty much everything they tried to show came out awkward. No way of knowing about Sleepy Hollow. We can hope. And if Brody finally dies in Homeland 3, does that mean we get a new storyline in return or do they drag the corpse three times around the Troy for an entire next season?
On a related subject, was pretty dissapointed with Masters of Sex :/ Haven't seen a show that depressing since finally admitting to myself how terribly bad Dexter script is.
Flag
Shield may not keep up ridiculously high ratings all season, but that doesn't mean it won't still get good ratings or be popular
Flag
I don't think any show airing 13 episodes is all that bold anymore, not after last season.

What could kill The Crazy Ones is a lack of Robin Williams. The promos have been making it out as if he would be the center of the show all the time, but it's very likely, especially as the show goes on, that he might only be one of many characters the show focuses on. He may only be on screen 10% of the time.

Sleepy Hollow does look like it could be a sleeper hit, although I wouldn't consider predicting it's success that bold. It's FOX's replacement for Fringe and it's meant to appeal to the genre fans. And the opportunity for period drama means there's a chance for period romance to be slipped in there.

I don't think it's bold to predict that Revolution won't get season 3. It never had great ratings to begin with. But I think it's bold to predict that it will improve greatly. It's been bad since the start and there's no way bad writers are suddently going to write well.

SHIELD may be up against NCIS, but it aims at a much younger market so it may not suffer as much as one would think. If anything will hurt it, it's that it's just the sort of show that it's fans like to download.
More+
Flag
If The Cleveland Show can get 3 seasons before being cancelled, I think Dads can at least survive 13 episodes, maybe even 22.
Flag
Oh god, I hope not!
Flag
"Mom" is a Chuck Lorre comedy on CBS. It'll take off and within one year, Faris will suddenly be everywhere.

The CW will only cancel one show midseason, replacing it with some pathetic reality program no one will watch. Everything else will live to at least season 3.

I think Tim is right here about The Crazy Ones bombing, and I hope he's not right about Dads, but they may keep Dads on a little longer than they should to avoid agitating The Seth Monster.

Sleepy Hollow probably will debut strong (it's the first new show to make it out of the gate, that's why) but it will only last one complete season.
Flag
I wouldn't really say your theory about Mom is bold, that actually seems likely.

Definitely agree about Sleepy Hollow, I think Almost Human is more likely to last.
Flag
NCIS is old hat. Come on, middle America, show some sense and pick SHIELD.
Flag
It isn't middle America. It is old people that watch NCIS.
Flag
I'm sure I will like to watch SHIELD. I may not love it but I will like it, unless this turns out to be the worst tv show Joss has ever created which I don't believe it's possible just by what I've seen in the trailers and clips combined with the fact that Joss seems to be very able to learn from his past mistakes and has only improved with time. Yes, Dollhouse wasn't as good as Firefly, but it was still good, had better ratings and got better in season 2, which Firefly never had. People said "The Avengers" movie could be a flop and could be crushed under the weight of its hype and only attract fans of the comics, but guess what, it didn't! It was the most watched and enjoyed movie of the year by the general public. And now all those millions of people will be curious to see SHIELD's pilot. I think if a huge number people see the pilot, as expected, even if only a minority of them like the characters, which seems odd given they seem likable, the show will continue to have enough ratings to get a 2nd season. I will be very surprised, shocked even, if show is so unpopular so much to the point of losing all it's popularity in such a short period of time. But then again that could happen unfortunately, given the general public dubious lack of interest in good/great shows in the past and their lack of attention span.

"ABC still hasn't sent the pilot to critics who didn't catch it at Comic-Con or the TCA press tour"
- so what? why is that motive to conspiracy theory? can't it be because of editing changes from what was shown at Comic-Con? or fear of plot spoilers? everyone will be able to see it when it airs, it's not like a movie where you want to know if it's good before spending money buying the ticket, and even there most people still don't care about what critics say about the movie and just decide based on they trailer they saw. so what's the motivation for sending to critics early a pilot of a series that already has all the hype that's possible to have? None!
More+
Flag
I thought we were only predicting on the new shows.
Then an addentum to my lower comment:
1.Arrow will be the series to gain the most audience shares and may change its time slot to a better position.
2. The Following ,Person of Interest,and Revolution will not be renewed.
3.Netflix will return The Killing for a fourth season.
4.Grimm, OUAT,The Mentalist,will be renewed two seasons ahead.
Flag
The cancellation of Person of Interest is very BOLD prediction IMO.
Flag
i think you'll be wrong about person of interest. but i thought i heard somewhere this is mentalist's last season, i could be wrong about that, but i thought i read it somewhere.
Flag
I am not taking this as seriously as I may sound :-) , so POI may well be renewed. The rebooted system shifted the onus of the series which might give it a wave of fresh air or not. It all depends what they will do with this gamechanger.
Flag
I predict that Person of Interest will flail in the early going, in its new time and with its expanded cast. Major mid-season overhaul will including killing off Shaw and maybe Root, and a return to the Core Four and good stories that the fans fell in love with. Rising ratings and a strong finish.
Flag
BOLD.... "LOST" WILL BE BACK!!!!
Flag
In syndication?
Flag
How about the writers come up with a way for Homeland to continue to be interesting and fresh without having to resort to such a move that could potentially kill the series or at least loose it's identity. Brody's character is a layered and complex character just as compelling to watch as Carrie's, so why can't he be in the show even if they never get back together again? Can't the story be about things that affect both Carrie and Brody without being about their doomed romance? And killing Brody is really the only way you can come with for his character to exit the show? Can't he simply appear less times or none because he has to stay hidden as long as there dangerous people looking for him, including the CIA? There are so many intriguing possibilities the writers can come up with to keep show being as compelling, fresh and memorable as it has been so far, IMHO, so why be so limiting and narrow minded? And maybe that's just me, but I'm curious to see how Brody's family will handle everything that happened in the season 2's finale and how will their life be after it. If you kill of Brody there's no reason for his family to continue being a significant part of the show. Are you sure it's a good idea to have the show be just about Carrie, her job as a bipolar CIA agent and now her boss Saul? Are you sure that's enough to keep people interested in Homeland's 60min episodes? I doubt it.
More+
Flag
I disagree. Brody is a terrorist. Sure, he was going through a lot, and was suffering, but he still has tried to commit acts of terrorism. He has murdered people. He's really not someone to save.
Flag
"has TRIED to commit acts of terrorism"
- No, he has tried to make himself commit acts of terrorism (for personal revenge, not for religion or hating America), but in the end he couldn't go through it. He has never committed a single act of terrorism, that's a fact, so you can't really call him a terrorist, IMHO. It was a grave crime and he deserved to serve some jail time for that, but he redeemed himself when he helped the CIA catch Abu Nazir.

"He has murdered people"
- He only murdered two people: Tom Walker, who I think qualified to be called a terrorist, since he committed an act of terrorism; and the Vice President, who to me was a murderer with no conscience that deserved to rot in jail, but he only did it because of the threat of Carrie, the person he loves the most in the world, dying if he didn't do it. And I think it's understandable how he didn't hesitate to do it, since Walden was the single person he hated the most in the world.
Flag
I'm sorry, I'm all for shades of grey, but that seems rather ridiculous. And who cares what motivated him to TRY to commit acts of terrorism? The people on board United 93 TRIED to commit an act of terrorism but the citizens on the flight risked their lives to stop them, but we still call them terrorists. Don't get me wrong, LOVE the character and the shades of grey, but I'm okay with him dying, because I don't care, if the men on board that flight had lived, they wouldn't be living high on the hog, they would be in JAIL.

He has murdered 3 people, Tom Walker, the guy whose name I don't remember but who made him wash up in a car wash after the fact, and the VP. And maybe the VP was a HUGE jerk, by the same rationale that you let him die, you want Brody to live.
Flag
(Replying to you again too)

First, I am very sorry for the spoiler. It is a great show, especially the first two seasons.

You know, if they had a believable way to make what you want to happen happen, then I'm all for Brody living... I just feel like he is played out. I don't WANT him to be, I love the story, but I just FEEL that way. I hope that you are right!
Flag
(Reply to your last comment)
First thing: I've yet to see 'Sons of Anarchy', so thanks for the spoiler =P don't worry I will forget about it before I finally watch it (it's on my list of show to see for quite some time now).

I don't agree that he has very little left. He has suffered a big transformation since the beginning but there's still plenty of room for him to grow and evolve. It will be challenging for the writers to find a way to not just having him running and hiding from everyone, and actually give him something meaningful that he can do, like something that could help the CIA catch more terrorists or make contact with Carrie or his family in some way... If they use their imagination in inspiring ways I believe it's possible for this show to continue to be as unique and compelling with Brody in it as it's been so far. Maybe they will kill Brody in the penultimate or the final episode of season 3, with him sacrificing his life to save the lives of other people or just Carrie's life, I could be ok with that, but I doubt anything happens to him before that. And I think it will be no less challenging for the writers to move the story forward once Brody is out of the picture, because they will have to introduce new characters that are able to fill that empty space he and his family will leave behind.
More +
Flag
Okay. I don't think Brody DESERVES to die either. That wasn't what I had said. I do think that the character has very little left. If they can come up with something not ridiculous, then I'm all for him staying, but I think it would be like Opie's death on Sons of Anarchy. Brutal. Awful. Heartbreaking. But moving the storyline forward in ways that they could NOT have gone without it happening.
Flag
The people on board of United 93 were stopped by OTHER people and Brody stopped HIMSELF from blowing up the vest he was wearing. I think there's a big difference there, don't you? Brody didn't need anyone to physically stopping him from killing all those. He CHOOSE not do it. And we can even speculate if his daughter hadn't called if would've done it, but it's pointless, the fact is he did do it when no one knew he had planned to do it. It was a grave crime to dress in a suicide vest so close to all those important people, but nothing happened.

Ok I forgot about that other guy he killed, that was really bad. What I'm getting at is that he is a murderer who killed two people in cold blood and a criminal who put the lives of many people at risk. But he was also brainwashed for eight straight years before that and helped the CIA catch one of the most wanted terrorists in the world. I understand that you feel he still deserves some time in jail, but death? Really? I know this is just fiction and entertainment, but who are we to decide who deserves to die or who deserves to stay alive? We're not gods. If you think Brody deserves to die because he's a boring character and you think the show should replace him with a more interesting character, I respect that, I don't agree but I can see why you would think that, and that's fine.

One last thing, I NEVER said that VP Walden deserved to DIE, I said he deserved to be sent to JAIL for the rest of his life. Maybe just the same 35 years the US government recently sentenced to the HERO Manning would be enough for me. But Brody didn't killed him because he thought he deserved (which he did), he killed him to SAVE Carrie's life, period!
More +
Flag
Agreed. Homeland has done a spectacular job setting up so many possible storylines... there's really no need for Brody to die at this stage in the series.
Flag
The tone of this article seems to assume that Seth MacFarlane has more power than Joss Whedon...
Flag
he kind of does, joss whedon hasnt had real success in tv since buffy.
Flag
True, but he did write and direct The Avengers, which was a HUGE success, so I think he has a ton of power.
Flag
He....does.....

I'm not saying I agree with the distribution of power here, but if Seth wanted a 26-episode order for a new series based on that unreleased Jerry Lewis movie where a clown performed in a concentration camp, he'd get it.
Flag
And if Joss Whedon announced a new show about watching paint dry, there'd already be a dedicated audience planning to watch it, including me.
Flag
I really want S.H.I.E.L.D to do well but I feel like it might suffer the same fate as Dollhouse and Firefly.... especially when it's pitted against NCIS.... some scheduling which I honestly don't think is the best move by ABC...

I also want to make a bold prediction that this season of Supernatural may be its' last....
Flag
I am not sure about that. I feel that if Dollhouse or Firefly came out now they both would have been very successful shows. Had they been on a cable network, or hat SciFi is currently doing they would have been successful. It is a different time right now. Nerd culture is kind of taking over everything. Superheroe movies are box office money and it is starting to bleed into TV. If they produce a good product I think there will be viewers. And it isn't going to be on Thursday at 8pm, so it has that going for it.
Flag
Downton is not slipping, and is still a brilliant show!
Flag
I agree with most of these, except a few which I will highlight with my own predictions.
Prediction: Sleepy Hollow will run all its episodes, but like any Fox Monday show, it won't last more than one or at most two seasons, as much as its fans want it to.
Prediction (now this one makes me sad): Hannibal gets cancelled after this season.
Prediction: The Crazy Ones gets one season, then gets cancelled.
Prediction: Two and a Half Men goes two more seasons.
Prediction: We are Men, Super Fun Night, The Millers go down in flames.
Prediction: The Blacklist will be a success, but only a moderate one.
Prediction: Michael J. Fox Show will start strong but then will be a mild success...won't get great ratings but not bad ones.
Prediction: Brooklyn Ninety-Nine gets a second season and anchors the block on Tuesday.
Prediction: Mom will earn a second season on CBS.
Flag
The prediction about Dads seems pretty fair and I had been thinking about that myself in preparation for the Dead Pool, hehe.

I had that prediction last year with Guys With Kids and NBC (and Jimmy Fallon), but after flipping back and forth, I ended up putting it on my Dead Pool list anyway, which ended up costing me points. So I think I'll stick with my gut this time and assume Dads will get a full-season, then get cancelled.

I kind of agree with the Sleepy Hollow prediction. I think it wont suck, but I also don't anticipate it being a HIT. I think it'll be good enough to keep around, but nothing special.

And I have Anna Gunn winning the Emmy next week. I'm participating in a pool of sorts and I had Gunn over Smith right away. I know Emmy voters LOVE Maggie Smith, but I think their love of Downton Abbey as a whole is finally dying down a bit.
Flag
I argued that wisdom about Dads and the dead pool '13 list in another article's comment recently, your thinking is on the nose. I dunno about a back-nine order though.
Flag
Sadly I will watch S.H.I. ... Etc even if its doomed or I can't be bothered to spell it right. And they know it. I have zero power in that decision.

I'm actually looking forward to Sleepy Hollow after your review and I agree it'll at least be my surprise hit of the season. Especially since the other new comers are so thin and shallow.

But according to my 2012 deadpool score I really shouldn't be making any predictions. I can only hope shows that don't deserve 8 seasons (I'm looking at you Dexter) don't get them.
Flag
You have to remember that Revolution is on nbc, so even though the ratings have fallen, they would have to get very low before being cancelled. I'd say Revolution will be renewed for season 3.
Flag
Prediction: HIMYM will have its LONGEST season ever and Ted won't meet the Mother until the (very) last minute.
Flag
Sadly but I have the same feeling.
Flag
Staff
Oh gawd. Please no.
Flag
The second you read that post, you knew it was true. We all know it's true.
Flag
I really REALLY REEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLY hope it's not, though...
Flag
Prediction: ABC will have a lineup change in November, switching Revenge and OUAT in Wonderland.

Why it's bold: Lineup changes usually happen midseason, and ABC has its heart set on the OUAT-Revenge Sunday double feature.

Why it could happen: Revenge would work well with the strong female led dramas ABC already has on Thursday nights. Wonderland should have been a midseason or summer show, and when ABC realizes that starting it in October was a bad idea, they will need to make some changes. Having Wonderland follow its parent show could boost its ratings because OUAT fans will be the main audience for the spin-off.
Flag
I like your thinking. Maybe you should go work for ABC!
Flag
I like your prediction.
Actually, can we send this to ABC and make it happen?
Flag
I didn't realise until I saw the picture from The Crazy Ones that Jerry Dantana is in it, count me out, that dude is the worst!
Flag
I'm actually rooting for The Crazy Ones to fail just so we can get more Bob Benson...
Flag
I'm glad to see the shine finally coming off of MacFarlane's increasingly stale productions. Fox's (long overdue) cancellation of The Cleveland Show proves that not everything he does is gold and immune to network realities. I don't see Dads lasting for all 13 episodes, or at least that's my hope. TV audiences don't deserve to have to suffer through shows like that anymore.

I'm sooooo worried about what he may do to the Cosmos legacy (and am further disappointed that it will air on a commercial network), but hopefully he realizes that it's something he really can't afford to screw up. Plus, Neil deGrasse Tyson surely won't allow it to be but so bad.
Flag
- Most of these are pretty bold, except the one about The Crazy Ones. Sure, it has gotten attention, but it's pretty obvious it'll tank hard in the ratings. It's a solid choice for the Deadpool.

- The second prediction that isn't all that surprising is the one about S.H.I.E.L.D. Shows with big budgets that are supposed to be fast and loud usually have to do so well to stay on the air that even decent ratings aren't always enough. That's why I'm also sceptical about the survival of Almost Human. There's been so much hype around S.H.I.E.L.D, that many are going to be disappointed when they notice it's nothing more than a fairly regular action show. Producing something under the Marvel brand really raises the expectations, and when it ends up looking nothing like the movies, people will feel let down. It's obvious that the ratings for the first episode will be huge, and already during the second week they will be significantly lower. I'm sure the network is expecting that too. The big question is how much the ratings will fall. Will they settle on a level that will give the show a chance to limp on?

Question: Does anyone know if there will be any big name action heroes on the show? Viewers would love that, but if there aren't any of them, it'll be a major disappointment. Why would I watch a show about S.H.I.E.L.D. if I only get to see some superhero nobodies?

- Great to hear that Revolution is improving, very few shows manage to do that in season two. But the problem is, as we all know, that it's very difficult to get back the trust once it's lost. Why would someone who gave up on the show in season one (I did after four episodes) return to it during season two, even though the person was told that the show has improved? It requires a lot of catching up. I would have to watch 16 episodes of season one if I wanted to see all the episodes before season two. Very rarely does a show increase in the ratings later in its life cycle, and if it does, it's usually a cable show that is easier to catch up on. That's why shows usually just hope to retain it's viewers and that the ratings don't fall too much. How many people really start watching a show that they have missed the first season of? So even though Revolution improves quality wise, I doubt it'll affect the ratings. But I'm happy for those who are watching, they will get to see better entertainment.
More+
Flag
Joss has said that SHIELD (to lazy to do the .s) is about the little guy on the ground, and not the big superheroes flying around, smashing buildings, so I doubt there will be more that cameo appearances from the supers.
Flag
Yep, just like I'll never return for S2 of Under the Dome, I will never waste another second on Revolution. Even if it hires the best writers known to exist, it's too late to get me back. I think it's all academic anyway. With no lead-in and being forced to survive based solely on its merits, no third season of Revolution is a virtual certainty.

Flag
We should all do a Revolution - Under the Dome- Last season of Dexter marathon/party! That would be fun... xD
Flag
Wow, you are clearly a masochist. But that's OK, I'm not judging. Whatever rocks your boat. If you're into some really kinky stuff, you could add Terra Nova into the mix. I guess watching it is the equivalent of being spanked with a paddle.
Flag
Hahaha never watched Terra Nova. I'll make sure to add it to my list for the party.
Flag
These are my predictions
1. Carrie will die a horrible death and Homeland will not be renewed.
2.Trophy Wife, Betrayal, Dad, The Goldbergs, Back in the Game,Mom, Ironside, Welcome to the Family, The Millers, Sean Saves the World, Hostages, Brooklyn Nine-Nine , and Once Upon A Time In Wonderland will fail big time and some of them will not even make their entire run.
3.Almost Human. the Blacklist, The Tomorrow People and Agent of SHIELD will get a second season.
4.The Originals will be borderline renewed on the force of its fan base.
5.Reign and Dracula will have a lot of trouble being renewed and its destinies will be long in the making. depending whether it can have any fan base at all.
6. The surprise big hit of the season among the new shows will be The Tomorrow People, primarily because of the fan base already in Arrow that will carry it through.
Flag
Staff
Unless the rest of Brooklyn Nine-Nine is complete crap (and that's very unlikely), that series won't be canceled after one season. It's very, very funny. Mom and Trophy Wife also stand a chance.
Flag
I admit I have not watched Brooklyn Nine-Nine, so you have the onus of being maybe right there. But I did watch Trophy Wife and it was WTF from the get go. I only saw bad acting and no comedy plot; just scenes of embarassement.
Flag
I saw the pilot of Trophy Wife which in my opinion wasn't very good. It was well made but do not have the funny sting of comedy that I love with Modern Family.
Flag
I agree wholeheartedly with your number 2. Nothing coming out aside from Sleepy Hollow and SHIELD looks like it is going to be good at all.
Flag
I think The Original will fail as much as The Secret Circle did...
Flag
hope to god thats true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
even if it is good(muwhaha NOT)it still needs to put down,dont know why but i have a real hate against the originals put that fam down and stay away from tvd even from the cw
Flag
I agree with you, but we can't forget the Vampire Diaries fan base. They might carry it just for the heck of it.
Flag
Yeah, but I'm still not sure if that's good or bad.
Many tvd fans will totally watch The Originals but a conserning amout of the fandom (in which I include myself) hated the backdoor pilot, so we won't be watching.

As far as The Secret Cirlce goes, many of the tvd fanbase also tuned in as it was Kevin Williamson's supernatural pretty teenage kids project number 2 and yet it was cancelled.
Flag
I didn't know the case about The Secret Circle (I was actually quite surprised when it was cancelled)

As for the pilot, you're right, it wasn't about the pilot itself it was about Hayley being pregnant (many people I talked to said it was sort of a bad cliche -not against the character either- and the fact that it was presented this oportunity of parenthood to Klaus to (I think) redeem himself.

I, myself didn't like those aspects (and my friends/followers I did talk to about it had sort of the same issues)

Flag
Staff
1) I don't think most TVD fans hated the backdoor pilot. They hated the Hayley bombshell. And they hate that Klaus won't be on TVD anymore because so many fans ship him with Caroline. Those are different than hating the backdoor pilot. Most TVD fans I have interacted with are excited by the spin-off. I don't see it being canceled after one season.

2) The Secret Circle performed poorly, but it was canceled because The CW didn't believe in the show. Beauty and the Beast scored LOWER ratings than The Secret Circle and it was renewed.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members