The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack

Cartoon Network (ended 2010)

TVTome_Shadow

The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack Fan Reviews (129)

7.3
  • In a world of adventurers and sailors, Flapjack is the nuttiest! :lol:

This cartoon makes a good point of not sticking to a single concrete story line. All that's really important to know is that Flapjack is Bubbie's adopted child, K'nuckles is Flapjack's father figure, they're on a search for Candied Island, and that's all that really matters! Everything else, is just purely for laughs! The situations Flapjack gets into are totally crazy, and that's the way that Flapjack likes it! Whether it's helping Bubbie race against a mechanical whale, getting his hair cut for the first time, making friends with a giant female monster, curing a bad case of foot-burn, attempting to sail to the dangerous west, finding out why Captain K'nuckles has wooden hands, trying to beat Punsy McHale in a Pun-off, or just trying to get syrup on a pile of flapjacks, there's nothing to crazy or too insane that Flapjack wouldn't try, because Flapjack is interested in fun adventures, and hanging around Captain K'nuckles, ensures Flapjack there will be plenty of adventures to go around! This show harkens back to the era of comedy nonsense made popular by Tex Avery and Chuck Jones, and I think that's a major reason of why this show works. I highly recommend it as a good way to experience many good laughs as this show is a good form of humor and provides laughter, which truly is the best medicine to cheer one's self up during times of sadness and loneliness. That's why I enjoy it so much! :idea: Enough said, true believers! ;)
  • I love this show. It is incredibly clever, creative and funny.

I love this show. Reading other reviews, many find that it has crude humor, indecent art and uninteresting story lines. However, some must be reminded: This is a children's cartoon. Kids find farts, boogers and candy fascinatingly funny. There is no need for a complicated plot - the episodes are only 10 minutes long. As a young adult, I look past the farts, boogers and candy and find a lot of terribly clever humor and silly plot lines that are simply (and wonderfully) amusing... especially facial expressions. The characters are fabulous, the stories have morals, and I'm still giggling. A+!
  • This is a pretty good show in my opinion.

I personally like this show,and of all the new shows currently airing and in production on Cartoon Network,this one is the only one that really makes me laugh. I think Flapjack's laugh is cute and Captain Knuckles is funny. Sometimes it's a little weird,but I like it no matter what. I think this is a lot better than TDI or George of the Jungle. The artwork is beautiful,and the animation is good. I don't have much more to say about this show other than I like it and that the jokes are good. The lines and voice acting are pretty good,and they don't use the same joke over and over like Johnny Test does. But that's just my opinion.
    -wolvesrule221
  • Something really special.

Flapjack is seriously good. Not annoying at all. Way too good for kids. Way too good for adults, actually. Most of the stuff they make for adults isn't this good. Demented, Ren and Stimpy style humor. Some of the sounds that come out of Flapjack are disturbing. (Flapjack was almost voiced by Paul Reubens aka Pee Wee Herman, which does give you a good idea of what Flapjack is like.)

Brian Doyle Murray, the voice of Captain K'nuckles, Flapjack's ne'er-do-well best friend, is awesome like always. I love that Flapjack's mother figure is a whale with the voice of a sassy black woman.

This show is beautiful. They're loose with how the characters look in a funky-yet-pleasant way. The lines are thick and the colors are creamy. The backgrounds are wonderfully textured with brushstrokes and whatnot. I love looking at it.
  • Wait a Minute! Cartoon Network may be on to something here!

Yep! That's right! I said it! You heard it here first! First it was Chowder now it's the Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack! I seriously did believe that Cartoon Network might start making a comeback ever since Chowder first aired! I wonder how long this streak of good shows will go on? Hopefully, quite a long time. Well anyway, the Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack is a show about a young adventurous child named Flapjack who lives in Storm Along Harbor. His mentor, Captain Knuckles takes him on all sorts of fun adventures. Together, they live inside of a whale named Bubby. You could say that shes Flapjack's mother. Well, at least he's treated by her like a mother
  • An Underrated Classic!

This show is such a great show, and it really is unbelievable the amount of hate it gets. Pioneered by Thurop Van Orman (Powerpuff Girls, Camp Lazlo), this show incorporates a lot of things I don't like, but makes me like them. For example, I am not fond of gross-out at all, yet the grossness of the show can make me laugh, and it adds a lot of charm to the show (unlike post-movie episodes of that talking sponge). The writing has a ton of thought put into it, and it is made, like most great cartoons are, with the appeal of everybody. Anyone can enjoy the show. Lots of clever jokes, and well written plots. In the contest between Chowder and Flapjack, while I definitely enjoy Chowder, I have always preferred Flapjack. The show just has so much charm. When I first watched the show back in the summer of 2008, I loved it, and I could not believe the large amount of hate it got online. I was shocked. Especially since not all of it was by nostalgiatards, either. But I guess different strokes for different folks. But I surely enjoyed what the show had to offer.
  • One of the rare shows where you love it or hate it... I love it

This show is amazing. I fell in love instantly with it. I love some of the adult jokes you can only catch if you are really listening. This is a breath of fresh air in all the new cartoons. Most new shows Cartoon Network is showing awful. This one is definantly one of the better ones. So far I have only seen the first episode and I cant wait for the next one. One problem I have with it is the currency and treasure. Its candy... just candy. No gold or anything. So its a bit childish but that is not that big of a deal its still really good.
  • I respect others' opinions, but personally, I don't think show is quite as bad as some people say it is.

I can't say that "The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack" is my all-time favorite show, but I have seen a lot of cartoons, so believe me - I've seen worse. Artwork/Animation: 6.5/10. I think the artwork is pretty creative, but not something to write home about. They have drawn the characters in some very grotesque ways, which is both hilarious and creepy, but I think it is done a little too frequently on this show. I'd say the animation is average, about as good as shows such as "Chowder" or "Johnny Test". Characters: 7/10. They have a pretty good mix of characters on the show. Some are memorable and some are extremely forgettable, but I think most of them have had their moments. The main characters, Flapjack, Cap'n K'nuckles, and Bubbie have a lot of personality and fit in with the rest of the show quite well. Though, I think some of the most interesting characters in my opinion are ones that have only appeared once or twice, like Sally Syrup or Tee Hee Tummy Tums. The last thing I'm going to mention is that character's voices, namely Flapjack's, might sound a bit strange to you at first, but chances are, they will grow on you eventually. Plotlines: 7.5/10. Some episodes had great plots (i.e. "Gone Wishin'"), then there's been some boring ones (i.e. "The Sweet Life"), but overall they aren't too bad and unique to the show. Some have had wonderfully surprising endings! The humor is a little dark, but I'm sure some people wouldn't have it any other way.

All and all, I highly recommend you see more than one episode before you form your final opinion of the show. You may like it, you may not. You might want to start with either the first episode or "That's a Wrap", because it tells you a lot about the characters on this show.
  • Has great potential, but too much gross humor ruins much of the show's sentiment

This show is about a young boy named Flapjack wanting to go on adventures with his father-like figure, Captain K'nuckles, and his adoptive mother, a whale named Bubbie. I will admit that this show has a lot of potential, with originality on the storylines, to the weird characters, to the situations. So why only a 5? Easy: the humor is way too focused on gross gags. Like, I said this show has a ton of originality. But in every episode they make it a gross gag fest, where it's close-up gross gag after another and then barfing or something like that. Yuck! Overall, this has a ton of poetential, but the humor needs to be more focused on making us laugh, not gag our throats. 5/10, F
  • What? Ugh.

Also one of the most annoying cartoons, this receives the title. This one annoys me in every way, there are some good parts that can make me laugh, but no. Those gross jokes are getting cliche and overused. Flapjack is annoying, K'nuckles is the only one good here, and Bubby is also annoying. The voice actings and the other characters are also irritating too. Plus it's quite stupid and brain-dead. It's stupidity is really high. Now the concept of the show is somewhat interesting, but no. They ignored it. And this show, has a lot of mistakes, mess to clean up.
  • This Show Was Ok,Just Never Got Its Spotlight

This show was funny in my opinion, it just never got the audience it wanted. I believe that the show had a very unique story line and should have been improved instead nuked. Now I also do not blame people for saying it was not all that good. But to me I believe the show never got its correct image, therefore the show was called "immiture, wierd, and dull", but honestly it was barely grown show and had only 2 years in Cartoon Networks spotlight. I wish it could have gotten a second chance and I think the humor was excellent.
  • Amazing.

i love this cartoon. they should bring it back.
  • Another Great show from cartoon network

flapjack is a really good show 2 watch. The whole title is really long though but people just call it flapjack. At first they were showing the mini flapjack shows that lasted about 2 minutes. Now they have the whole half hour show. hopefully it won't be a huge disappointment and then turn in2 some dumb show that no1 cares about. But flapjack is a really good show and stuff like that, and.... y do we have 2 have this b 100 words long? it's really annoying. but anyway i recomand this show 2 every 1. bye people bye cu l8tr
  • Adventurous. Hilarious. Overall amazing.

Ok. So The Marvelous Misadventures Of Flapjack Is going to have to be one of my favorite shows!
    A show based on a small community that lives in Stormalong Harbor. The main Group consists of Captin K'nuckles,Bubby,and flapjack.
    K'nuckles And flapjck live inside bubby. Who is a whale. Just off the dock of stormalong harbor.
    The idea of the show is that Flapjack want to be a brave adventurer And the whole gang wants to travel out to candy island! And island with candly galore! If you dont understand why candy is important I will tell you. Candy is A MAJOR part of this show. It's the point of peppermint larry..*another character* Who owns a candy bar in stormalong.
    All together This is one show Im seriously hooked on.
    -PirateChowder.
  • Great show. Funny, and underrated, way better than Spongebob. Reminds me of spongebob in its early seasons.

This show is really underrated, its a great show. And its way better than lame-@ss episodes from spongebob. If you like Chowder, and pun-intended shows, then I would reccomend watching flapjack. I regularly watch this show on-demand, but I rarely catch it on tv. This show is loosely based in the victorian era, maybe you could say in England or Europe. Based on around the 1800's, early 1900's. I would also reccomend that you don't eat in front of this show.

Its a little nasty and "greassy" like. Well this is a great show and you should catch it on CN
  • Adventure!!!!!!!

The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack is really underrated. It's so funny. It's about a little kid who lives inside a whale. Then one day he meets a retired pirate named Captain K'nuckles. K'nuckles tells Flapjack all about the advenutures he used to have. He also tells him about a place called Candy Island. Flapjack becomes obsessed with adventures and wants to go to candy Island. His whale Bubby disapproves. So far Flapjack hasn't gotten to Candy Island yet. But he has had some other adventures. like when he got abducted by a grop of pirates called the Snarks. Or when he finds out he's a guardian angel and tries to keep k'nuckles safe. So I reccomend this show to anybody that wants to watch a show that's funny and that's like Spongebob
  • Surprisingly, it's quite good, and as I see it, it's a little underappreaciated.

Usually, I don't like shows with an ocean theme. But in this case, I'll make an exception. The show is about a boy named Flapjack who likes to adventure with a pirate named Captain K'nuckles and a talking whale named Bubbie. I originally thought this show was a rip-off of both SpongeBob and Chowder, but it's actually only slightly similar, with maybe the stop-motion puppetry from Chowder and aquatic theme from SpongeBob. The voice-actors are decent, and the humor is actually pretty funny. I recommend watching the show before bashing. I originally thought it was going to be bad, but it turned out to be actually quite good. Give it a watch.
  • Crazy, yet there are boring episodes.

Oh, now this show is a show that I like to feature in connections and other stuff. However, this show keeps making too many excuses because there are too many episodes that are boring. I can get easily bored of watching this show, or the episodes aren't boring. Maybe they aren't fun in story or plot. They couldn't be good enough to write a plot or something, but I thought that this show will do good before it premired. After watching six episodes, one-thirds of it was fun. I sometimes like this show, but now I don't watch it that often. So, it's an 8 out of 10.
  • a beautifull,hillarious and wonderfull cartoon filled with adventure and 19-ih century sf

this show is so wonderfull!the plot is cool i like pirates:D the animation is cool and gloomy.i like all the characters.flapjack is sooooo cute and funny(and he isnt gay hes just a little kid comon people!)knuckels is grumpy and very funny,bubbie is sweet,cute and flapjacks foster mom,pepermint larry is hillarious and his candy wife is cool and creepy.and the doctor is like a serial killer!where can you find a cartoon as cool as that?a lot of effort was put in this cartoon and for me its one of the greatest shows ever! oh i need more words :flapjack is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo cute!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!there ya go!
  • Have you ever experienced a show like this? Nope. ADVENTURE!!

I'll try to keep this short, but along with Chowder, Flapjack is one of the few new CN shows that's pulling the network back uphill! The show tells of an adventurous young boy named Flapjack who takes the advice of a washed up old pirate named Captain K'Nuckles. They live inside a whale named Bubbie in Stormalong Harbor and are always trying to reach the legendary Candied Island.

I've seen every episode so far! The animation is very unique and the plots are cleverly written. I find each episode to teach a moral, one of the few shows left to really make that clear. My favorite characters are Flapjack, Peppermint Larry, and Dr. Barber (though he looks kind of creepy). Overall, Flapjack is just the way to go. Like Chowder? Well, go for another Adventure. Adventure!
  • A perfectly animated series.

Unlike most shows Flapjack does not use Cel-Shading which is perfect. Like Chowder, it contains stopmotion animation and claymation. It contains the voice actor of The Flying Dutchman from Spongebob which is another great twist. Also Bubbie is very interesting and maternal as she takes care of Flapjack. The series also is very Kid-Friendly and does'nt refer to any form of Beer thus making great for your child. Instead of Beer we get Candy which is very popular among children. The only flaws is that it looks very dull and not usually positive and very innaccurate as I barely know of any town that exists in the middle of the sea. Watch the series if you want to but don't if you dislike Sea-faring.
  • This show deserves much more recognition than it gets. (warning this review lacks enthusiasm,bubbly exitable people should definitley not read it)

A lot of people say this show is underrated and some say it is overrated. Though this review is relentlessly positive I make no gurantees that you will enjoy "The marvelous misadventures of Flapjack"
    this brings me to my next topic,behold my fantastic little review of "the marvelous misadventures of flapjack"

The first aspect of this show I will praise is the animation it's very interesting and sometimes even mildly disturbing. Aside from that the animation is very good considering other CN cartoons look identical to flash videos.
    And on with the next segment of the review the humor it has everything and by that I mean it has lots of slapstick to make children laugh and yet it also has plenty of wit so it appeals to a wider audience
    than many other cartoons.
    Last but not least,the cast of many unique characters including captain Knuckles a misunderstood man who lies constantly, Flapjack an exitable boy with a taste for adventure, and Bubbie an overprotective whale with an atittude.
    And as for now I'll leave the rest to you.
  • Underneath the kiddy exterior, this comedy on Cartoon Network is surprisingly funny.

This show gets blasted more than any show on Cartoon Network (aside form the terrible abomination known as Total Drama whatever). However, this show has improved significantly ever since its debut. The comedy is pleasantly random yet quite subtle at times. Some the episodes are....a little out there, but since I am a fan of Invader Zim, I really don't mind it that much. The writing can be great a times and mediocre every once in a while, but the comedy is very rarely dry and the voice cast always does a great job.

Lets start with the artwork. There isn't a show out there that has the same kind of art style that Flapjack has. The basic art design is good enough, but it's all the details and other elements they use that really bring out the design. Candy Wife, the wife of Peppermint Larry (the owner of the Candy Barrel) isn't drawn, but she is a puppet. Other puppets have been used, and other art designs have been implemented. The "nightmare scenes," as I call them, are done perfectly. The dark artwork is done extremely well and is the best I have seen since Invader Zim.

Overall this show has potential to be a great comedy cartoon. My hope is that the writers will realize this potential and try not to make this comedy too silly and stupid. The story lines aren't bad, and the comedy is hilarious at times. I find this show enjoyable, and since Chowder has been cancelled, it is the best show on Cartoon Network as of now.
  • cool!

cool!
  • Quite enjoyable

Like most shows, there are from both sides of the aisle--while some people hate it with a passion only matched by that of a thousand burning suns, others proclaim it's the greatest show on Earth.

I, personally, think it's just as marvelous as it's name says it is.

I have yet to find a slip up in the animation and the drawing is quite incredible. It really sets the tone while also being very unique. I have yet to see anything like it, thus far.

The characters and the voice acting, while having it's flukes, does come off rather well. Flapjack is a young, optimistic want-to-be-adventurer whose childlike innocence both pulls at the corners of my mouth and my heartstrings. K'Nuckles both sharply contrasts with Flapjack (like most everything else in the show) and compliments him quite well. K'Nuckles' character is the one I'm most impressed with. He's a good-for-nothing glorified bum, but that's what I like about him and Flapjack is too naive to see this and is often times whisked away by K'Nuckle's fantastical tales (which are often exagerated beyond belief or entirely made up). However, he does has has moments and is a good person at heart who deeply cares for Flapjack. Bubby is the overprotective adoptive (whale) mother of Flapjack and is as sassy as she is blubbery. Doctor Barber, however, is my favorite character. He's more like something out of my worst nightmare than a cartoon character, but that's what I love about him. Despite being "creepy", or "sociopathic" he does have good intentions.

The humor is offbeat, dark, sometimes random, but overall likeable. I don't enjoy puns all that much, but these puns I do. The show also features a good deal of hypocritical humor, most often times with Bubby scolding K'Nuckles for not being a good role-model for her baby, but isn't always a good role-model herself. This show does have it's grotesque close-ups, but you can't deny that they don't succeed in their purpose--for being creepy, sometimes scary. The only thing I don't like is the jokes made about K'Nuckles alcoholism, coming from a family where I was more like the Flapjack and my father more like a K'Nuckles. Although I'm certain it wasn't intended to be sad, I did cry at one episode when K'Nuckles is obviously drunk and tells Flapjack that's he's his only friend, Flapjack responds with, "You tell me that every time you eat this much candy." or something of that nature. It brings back some bad memories.

Overall, the stories are creative and interesting. They have their high and low points, but so does every show.

I give this show an 8/10
  • A boy lives inside of a while and goes on ADVENTURES!

Mmmm yes... This show... How can I describe it? Many people say it is terrible. Many say it's awesome. I think it's mostly decent. It's a show I can watch when I'm bored. The show is pure grossout stuff. Strangely though, Flapjack's creepy humor impresses me, especially Doctor Barber. He can be really creepy at times. He's definitely creeped me out a few times, and a show that can scare me is really impress me. The show can get pretty annoying though. Flapjack himself does bug me a bit, but I hardly ever like the title character in any show. And of course, some of the plots are pretty bad. It's like post-season 4 Spongebob, but a little more creepy. I'd give it a lower score, but I definitely enjoy the darkness this show has. I give this show a grade of a C.
  • pretty good

Flapjack was such a weird show, but in somewhat of a good way but it was funny at certain points but at other points it was flatout stupid. The main reason i liked the show was cuz of the episode with the skymaid (I dont remember the name of the episode) This episode made me laugh when the skymaid tells them to keep on wishing and flapjack goes "even the scary ones??" and shes like "hahaha YUSSSSSSSSSSS" Thats just my favorite part in all of the flapjack episodes and the reason I cant really make fun of the show cuz that was just awesome, but the show does get boring and kinda stupid, I do miss the show though so yeah
  • An OK but somewhat enjoyable show

The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack follows a young boy named Flapjack who was raised inside Bubbie, a talking whale. After Flapjack rescues a shipwrecked crusty old pirate named Captain K'nuckles, the misadventures begin. The pair set sail in search of the magical Candied Island filled with lollipop trees and lemonade seas, but then trouble gets in the way. After rating the score of a 6 a year and a half back, I'm finally reviewing The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack. This show already been 5 years since it first came out. I avoided it at costs during the first season but halfway through season 2 I got into to it since I has the habit of watching a show when I'm bored. I did enjoyed this show but not as much as Chowder. I think Flapjack was an okay show. Speaking of Chowder, I'm tired of people relating Flapjack to Chowder. Just because both of the main characters are food named and air on the same day (it was a Thursday night show) doesn't mean it was in common. They were both rated TV-Y7-FV which not many shows nowadays had that expect the animes and Gumball. Adventure Time was the show that influenced this show as well as Regular Show. It can help the fact that the creators were former storyboard artists on this show. The storyboard here were decent but I don't know what the different facial expressions the characters made since it change depending on who board it. Anyway, on with the it wasn't the greatest Cartoon Network ever aired it was a lot better than Out of Jimmy's Head and other nonsensical live action show they had. The characters were likeable but still have moments being a jerk especially K'nuckles. Flapjack is very great characters but his facial expression turn me away for no reason. His cheeks are too big like SpongeBob's. Knuckle's was an enjoyable and hilarious character who managed to act like a jerk at times. Bubbie was an enjoyable character as well. I always found Knuck;les and Bubbie's arguments to be hilarious. The other characters are likeable but I can't tell who was my least favorite. As for the episodes, I didn't enjoyed the first season very much. i avoided it for a reason since it was meh. But once the second half of season 2 (when the 2010s started) came, i started to enjoy the show. It had it funny, heartwarming, and sad moments. As a result, I watched some of the earlier episodes and they weren't that bad after all. Season 3 was superb but I hasn't even seen the last episode at all! IDK, but it was that episode that premiered a wekk before Regular Show debuts (as well as MAD). I really need to watch more of this show. Overall, The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack was an okay but at least enjoyable show. Not the best Cartoon Network show ever but it sure did beats Johnny Test and the other lame shows. I never relating Flajack to Chowder at all for obvious reason. I don't pictured them as realted, they had a different theme imo: Chowder was about cooking and this show was about adventures. End of review. 6.5/10
  • Some episodes make sense, some don't have any concept in it at all!

I don't like this show. This show is a rip off version of Chowder. This show is all talk and sometimes doesn't make sense. The good shows are those shows that you can watch and understand/laugh at without really paying attention. In this show, you NEED to pay attention. When I watch a show, I expect them to make there comedy out of funny movements and faces. Not by what they say. Especially if they can't make a good joke out of it. This show shouldn't go any further. Let Chowder get the fame CN, not this show. Geez CN!

-NachoSwordsman
  • Am I the only one who notices so much illogic in this show?

3.5
    The only thing about this show that amazed me was that it lacks common sense. I stopped counting parts that didn't make sense after 20 or so.
< 1 2 3 4 5