The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack

Cartoon Network (ended 2010)

TVTome_Shadow

The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack Fan Reviews (128)

7.3
  • a good show

after the tv hell known as chowder, i gave up on this channel. but after watching this, its one of my favorites. they should cancel chowder and renew this along with teen titans season six and johnny test.
  • Okay but...

5.5
    This show was okay but not as good as Angry Birds Toons.

5.5 out of 10
  • This Show Was Ok,Just Never Got Its Spotlight

This show was funny in my opinion, it just never got the audience it wanted. I believe that the show had a very unique story line and should have been improved instead nuked. Now I also do not blame people for saying it was not all that good. But to me I believe the show never got its correct image, therefore the show was called "immiture, wierd, and dull", but honestly it was barely grown show and had only 2 years in Cartoon Networks spotlight. I wish it could have gotten a second chance and I think the humor was excellent.
  • Ugggh!

God! This show! I couldn't stand it when it came on TV. Of all the Cartoon Network shows that aired while it was still good, Flapjack was by far the worst. Admittedly, I didn't watch it past the first season, but that's because I found Marvelous (Hahaha, no. No it's not) Misadventures of Flapjack so unbearable that I didn't want to continue with it.

The characters by far were the most annoying part of the whole show. It's side characters never left an impact, K'nuckles was a jerk most of the time, the only redeeming character I found was the whale, her tough demeanor combined with that voice, she made me laugh more than a couple times. Then, we have the title character himself. Flapjack is by far the worst part about this show. His voice is grating, and his personality is Ungodly annoying! If your main character is this unlikable, then that doesn't bode well for the show itself.

Also, I don't like this animation style. I'm aware that it's the same as Regular Show, and really, what're the differences between the two. They're both really bad cartoons with annoying and unlikable characters. The show's drawn in a way that makes every character look ugly. The only show where it's any good is in Gravity Falls, cause at least the humans are drawn to look like humans in that show. As for the show's humor... What humor?

I can't believe that Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack lasted three seasons. Did people really like it that much? Cause I can't find any redeeming factor for Flapjack accept for the whale. Oh well, I'm just glad this stopped showing on TV. If it does ever come on again though, STAY AWAY FROM IT! It's a horrible cartoon.
  • almost as bad as Chowder. ALMOST

1.5
    Hated this show a lot. The characters are the basic definiton of ugly and the show is very poor when it comes to writing decent plot lines. So glad that this is long done for.
  • An OK but somewhat enjoyable show

The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack follows a young boy named Flapjack who was raised inside Bubbie, a talking whale. After Flapjack rescues a shipwrecked crusty old pirate named Captain K'nuckles, the misadventures begin. The pair set sail in search of the magical Candied Island filled with lollipop trees and lemonade seas, but then trouble gets in the way. After rating the score of a 6 a year and a half back, I'm finally reviewing The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack. This show already been 5 years since it first came out. I avoided it at costs during the first season but halfway through season 2 I got into to it since I has the habit of watching a show when I'm bored. I did enjoyed this show but not as much as Chowder. I think Flapjack was an okay show. Speaking of Chowder, I'm tired of people relating Flapjack to Chowder. Just because both of the main characters are food named and air on the same day (it was a Thursday night show) doesn't mean it was in common. They were both rated TV-Y7-FV which not many shows nowadays had that expect the animes and Gumball. Adventure Time was the show that influenced this show as well as Regular Show. It can help the fact that the creators were former storyboard artists on this show. The storyboard here were decent but I don't know what the different facial expressions the characters made since it change depending on who board it. Anyway, on with the it wasn't the greatest Cartoon Network ever aired it was a lot better than Out of Jimmy's Head and other nonsensical live action show they had. The characters were likeable but still have moments being a jerk especially K'nuckles. Flapjack is very great characters but his facial expression turn me away for no reason. His cheeks are too big like SpongeBob's. Knuckle's was an enjoyable and hilarious character who managed to act like a jerk at times. Bubbie was an enjoyable character as well. I always found Knuck;les and Bubbie's arguments to be hilarious. The other characters are likeable but I can't tell who was my least favorite. As for the episodes, I didn't enjoyed the first season very much. i avoided it for a reason since it was meh. But once the second half of season 2 (when the 2010s started) came, i started to enjoy the show. It had it funny, heartwarming, and sad moments. As a result, I watched some of the earlier episodes and they weren't that bad after all. Season 3 was superb but I hasn't even seen the last episode at all! IDK, but it was that episode that premiered a wekk before Regular Show debuts (as well as MAD). I really need to watch more of this show. Overall, The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack was an okay but at least enjoyable show. Not the best Cartoon Network show ever but it sure did beats Johnny Test and the other lame shows. I never relating Flajack to Chowder at all for obvious reason. I don't pictured them as realted, they had a different theme imo: Chowder was about cooking and this show was about adventures. End of review. 6.5/10
  • Amazing.

i love this cartoon. they should bring it back.
  • I think it's time for this show to walk the plank.

A cartoon about a small boy named Flapjack who loves to go on adventures and hangs with this guy named Captain K'nuckles. The two of them try to sail to a magical place called Candied Island but never successfully get there because of strange things that stops them. I bet there is more to it but I don't really know.

What I think of "The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack"

GOOD STUFF
    Nice unique sea and pirate-style feel to the show.
    Some episode stories are at least okay.

BAD STUFF
    Gross humor.
    Dull and nasty art and character design.
    Episodes mostly feel indifferent.
    Most of the character's voices sound very similar and familiar a lot.
    Stop-motion animation scenes aren't so pleasant to look at.

Now this show is funny at times but it can be unnecessary most of the time especially the way Flapjack talks and the things he does is just like Spongebob Squarepants. I think the show just has a few laughs and the art can just draw you away and make you watch better cartoons out there like "Dexter's Laboratory" or "Animaniacs".
  • Interesting concept, terrible execution

2.5
  • The show is okay,but not great.

This show is just creepy. In one episode,Peppermint Larry's face looks totally just overly gross. It gave me a nightmare. Flapjack, is girly and creepy at the same time. Captain K'nuckles is just some idiot. Some of the episodes are not as creepy, but other episodes have too much gross humor and closeups. Personally,I don't like gross humor. Overall,this show get's a 7/10.
  • An Underrated Classic!

This show is such a great show, and it really is unbelievable the amount of hate it gets. Pioneered by Thurop Van Orman (Powerpuff Girls, Camp Lazlo), this show incorporates a lot of things I don't like, but makes me like them. For example, I am not fond of gross-out at all, yet the grossness of the show can make me laugh, and it adds a lot of charm to the show (unlike post-movie episodes of that talking sponge). The writing has a ton of thought put into it, and it is made, like most great cartoons are, with the appeal of everybody. Anyone can enjoy the show. Lots of clever jokes, and well written plots. In the contest between Chowder and Flapjack, while I definitely enjoy Chowder, I have always preferred Flapjack. The show just has so much charm. When I first watched the show back in the summer of 2008, I loved it, and I could not believe the large amount of hate it got online. I was shocked. Especially since not all of it was by nostalgiatards, either. But I guess different strokes for different folks. But I surely enjoyed what the show had to offer.
  • cool!

cool!
  • Not so Marvelous still needs work

4.5
    I tried to like this show. I am looking for things to like. One that captains concept looks good on paper as a scum bag who is greedy and will do what ever it takes to get what he wants. The animation of the show is just okay. The characters aren't drawn out to much and are kind of annoying. The stories don't work me except for those times where it was about trying to make the kid of the show into the captain or having him grow up or do something bad. A lot of the time the show made me chuckle maybe three or four times in a episode. I never felt like that evened out with the annoying characters and other problems in the story though. It's not really consistent either. Also in these episodes I don't see how the stories help them get any closer to there goals. The worst bit is it uses the strange element. Where crazy things just happen. And it works rarely if at all throughout the six episodes I watched. I just don't see what people like in it. Also to Cartoon Network step your game up.
  • This show is NOTHING like SpongeBob

Comparing this to SpongeBob is like comparing Titan Maximum to Megas XLR because they both involve robots. THEY ARE NOTHING ALIKE.

While I prefer Flapjack greatly, I'm not going to criticize SpongeBob. Instead, I'm going to state the actual reasons why I believe Flapjack is one of the greatest cartoons to come out since the days of Cartoon Cartoons.

Firstly, the art. The art style is simplistic, but works well. What really adds character to the show is the grotesque close-ups and surreal scenes which give the show a great amount of character and flavor. While attempting to avoid SpongeBob criticism, I may as well point out how SpongeBob completely lacks the former, and isn't heavy on the latter, opting instead for a more conventional type of animation.

Second, the humor could not be any more different from SpongeBob. The plotlines typically choose to mix sitcom ideas with an underwater setting and the humor mixes slapstick and child-aimed humor (and in the earlier episodes, a good deal of innuendo). This show is very, VERY dark for a kids show in a nautical setting, tackling drunkenness, drug (candy) addiction, death, disease, kidnapping, dismemberment, and child neglect (in an ironic fashion). The show also features innuendo and surreality.

The characters are also different, and the amount of personality. While some may compare Flapjack to Spongebob based upon the fact that they are both incredibly happy, Flapjack is more naive, childish, and shows many differences. Bubbie and K'nuckles are parental figures to the boy, unlike the, oddly enough, chosen comparisons. Most characters, including secondary ones, are quite fleshed out, with episodes dedicated to backstories and development of characters.

All in all, Flapjack was and still is a wonderfully unique show with a darker flair than most children's cartoons, a very well-done art style and deep characters. Regardless of one's opinion on it, it deserves to be judged on its own as it simply cannot be compared to any other show (the closest would be Regular Show, but that lacks the feeling of horror, replacing it with conversational dialogue)
  • The Completely Horrid Misadventures of FlapJack.

Pirates. Candy. An incredibly messed up kid. And another Pirate accompliss who makes Maple Syrup look like alcohol. That's The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack for ya! A show that probably scarred most of the younger viewers of CN for life mainly because this show was Weird, Stupid, completely unoriginal and had like 5 great gags in the entire series. I can't get into this show, I just can't, I don't understand how people watch this without picking up their remote and flipping the channel. And this replaced what? The recently ended Ed Edd n' Eddy? Oh my God...
  • A boy lives inside of a while and goes on ADVENTURES!

Mmmm yes... This show... How can I describe it? Many people say it is terrible. Many say it's awesome. I think it's mostly decent. It's a show I can watch when I'm bored. The show is pure grossout stuff. Strangely though, Flapjack's creepy humor impresses me, especially Doctor Barber. He can be really creepy at times. He's definitely creeped me out a few times, and a show that can scare me is really impress me. The show can get pretty annoying though. Flapjack himself does bug me a bit, but I hardly ever like the title character in any show. And of course, some of the plots are pretty bad. It's like post-season 4 Spongebob, but a little more creepy. I'd give it a lower score, but I definitely enjoy the darkness this show has. I give this show a grade of a C.
  • Not for everyone.

I am not sure why this show is getting so much hate. I actually enjoyed the type of humor in this cartoon, and thought they stopped right when they should have. Maybe it's just me, but I miss Flapjack.
  • I'd rather drown in icy cold water than watch this again!

I think this cartoon is very overrated! This was one of the most annoying cartoons I have ever seen in my whole life! First I'll just get my friend That_TV_Dude's request. There! Alright, I agree with that reviewer. What is it about the new age cartoons that just keep on getting worse? There are some TV cartoons that are actually watchable and there are those that sounded good but fails, case in point The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack. The show was about a young boy named Flapjack, his whale Bubbie, and a captain named K'nuckles. Together they would explore the seas in search of the fabled Candy Island, where there is a lifetime supply of candy and get into other various adventures. Now on paper, the idea doesn't sound too bad, but on TV it got executed terribly. The artwork could have been a little better, the colors on everything look either too washed out or too dark and some of the characters look a little disturbing even for kids, but the animation looks great. Speaking of characters, none of them are really that likable and can be annoying, especially Flapjack, but Bubbie was actually the funniest person in the show. The actors could have improved the character's voices, some of them are alright, but why does Flapjack have such an annoying voice and an even worse laughter? I know he's a kid but couldn't they find someone else? One thing that you'll notice very quickly is that the show relies on a close up shot gag with gross stuff as humor. I usually don't mind it, but they keep on using it again and again, it gets too worn out fast and is just gross. Another thing you will notice is that these "adventures" are just basically eating candy or trying to get candy and doing other stuff to make K'nuckles rich, but once in a blue moon they will try to find Candy Island. One thing I definitely caught was that there is a huge lack of women in the show. You got Bubbie and that rich lady, but that's it, you only really see women if they are in a crowd of people but the show has men 98% of the time. This show just tanks for many reasons, too gross humor, annoying characters, lack of real adventures, mediocre artwork, and borderline acceptible acting, with the exception of Flapjack since he was annoying. MMOF could have been a good show but in the end, it just sank to the bottom of the sea and got canceled which is probably best for this mess. I understand some people like this show and that's fine, go ahead and like it, but for me it doesn't work. If you like this show, watch the reruns, everyone else make like a sailor and sail as far away from this show as you can. Its one of those Cartoons that should have never aired! Cannot believe its popular! Happy its gone!
  • What? Ugh.

Also one of the most annoying cartoons, this receives the title. This one annoys me in every way, there are some good parts that can make me laugh, but no. Those gross jokes are getting cliche and overused. Flapjack is annoying, K'nuckles is the only one good here, and Bubby is also annoying. The voice actings and the other characters are also irritating too. Plus it's quite stupid and brain-dead. It's stupidity is really high. Now the concept of the show is somewhat interesting, but no. They ignored it. And this show, has a lot of mistakes, mess to clean up.
  • Never finished the show but...

I didn't see the whole series, but I loved every episode I did see, I thought it was a cute show, and I'm sad they haven't released all of it on dvd yet, I would definitely buy it.
  • Sick show

The first thing I want to say about this show is that it is just nasty.There are so many moments that make me want to puke.Like when flapjack found a seagull and called it his baby,then he went to captin ca knuckles and ripped off his body parts then used a smudge of boogers to make the shape of a mouth on the poor bird.Also I honestly think flapjack is gay, he is always acting like a rapist around his fat friend.
  • One of the few good shows that Cartoon Network still had left in it

Such a good show, I watched it for hours on end. Really sad to see it go.
  • Am I the only one who notices so much illogic in this show?

3.5
    The only thing about this show that amazed me was that it lacks common sense. I stopped counting parts that didn't make sense after 20 or so.
  • Superb

Best. Show. Ever.
  • Really is quite special, same creepy humor that i adored from Ren and Stimpy. if your a sucker for super weird craziness then this is the show for you.LOVE IT PERIOD. ADVENTURE!

ADVENTURE!
  • Unwatchable.

2.5
    This show is disgusting. The characters and backgrounds are disgusting, and the plots are either stupid or gross. There is some funny humor, but not enough. This show should have ended, and not Chowder. I do not think that this show deserves to be on cartoon network. If you haven't seen it yet, don't watch it. This show defines terrible. Overall, this show gets:

25%
    .5 out of 5 stars

This show is really creepy and disturbing, and it needs to end as soon as possible. This is my review of The "Marvelous" Misadventures of Flapjack. alisao64, onto the next review. Bye.
  • One of the rare shows where you love it or hate it... I love it

This show is amazing. I fell in love instantly with it. I love some of the adult jokes you can only catch if you are really listening. This is a breath of fresh air in all the new cartoons. Most new shows Cartoon Network is showing awful. This one is definantly one of the better ones. So far I have only seen the first episode and I cant wait for the next one. One problem I have with it is the currency and treasure. Its candy... just candy. No gold or anything. So its a bit childish but that is not that big of a deal its still really good.
  • Not bad show

Flapjack is one of the new cartoon network shows that didn't completely fail like so many. The series was to short with only 40 something episodes and Flapjacks voice and attitude is quite annoying. Some of the episodes are weird but others are really good. The creepy doctor/dentist remind me of somethign from courage the cowardly dog and living inside a whale is quite cool. Overall Flapjack is good but could have some improvements

• pretty good

Flapjack was such a weird show, but in somewhat of a good way but it was funny at certain points but at other points it was flatout stupid. The main reason i liked the show was cuz of the episode with the skymaid (I dont remember the name of the episode) This episode made me laugh when the skymaid tells them to keep on wishing and flapjack goes "even the scary ones??" and shes like "hahaha YUSSSSSSSSSSS" Thats just my favorite part in all of the flapjack episodes and the reason I cant really make fun of the show cuz that was just awesome, but the show does get boring and kinda stupid, I do miss the show though so yeah
  • Adventure!!!!!!!

The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack is really underrated. It's so funny. It's about a little kid who lives inside a whale. Then one day he meets a retired pirate named Captain K'nuckles. K'nuckles tells Flapjack all about the advenutures he used to have. He also tells him about a place called Candy Island. Flapjack becomes obsessed with adventures and wants to go to candy Island. His whale Bubby disapproves. So far Flapjack hasn't gotten to Candy Island yet. But he has had some other adventures. like when he got abducted by a grop of pirates called the Snarks. Or when he finds out he's a guardian angel and tries to keep k'nuckles safe. So I reccomend this show to anybody that wants to watch a show that's funny and that's like Spongebob