We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Rhoda

millerem99

[1]Nov 27, 2007
    • level: 51

In watching this show again for the first time in over ten years, thanks to its release on DVD, I've been reminded again how excellent the writing and character dynamics both were. MTM was really wonderful, and holds up even to today's more sophisticated television critiques.

Rhoda's character in particular had some really wonderful lines, and as I watch the show again (granted, I am only in Season 1) it is funny to imagine a woman that witty and that attractive couldn't find a good guy...but then again, it isn't surprising, as she reminds me exactly of my best friend in NYC who is gorgeous, smart, funny, etc. but can't find a man worthy!

At any rate, I've always been partial to Rhoda, but has anyone else noticed how quickly she loses her charm when she DOESdate someone she likes? She seems to morph instantly into an act ofdesperation. I wish the writers hadn't made her so much that way.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

pisceandreams

[2]Nov 27, 2007
    • level: 40

I share your thoughts on Rhoda-- she's best when she's single and looking.

When I began reading your post, I thought that you were watching Rhoda on DVD and I was all excited that it had been released, but then I realized you were talking about MTM. I've actually never seen an episode of Rhoda, but would love to given how much I like her character on MTM.

millerem99

[3]Nov 28, 2007

Sorry for the false alarm

Nickelodeon used to air Rhoda around the same time it showed MTM, Taxi, and some other great 1970's programming. I used to love watching it while it lasted. Rhoda was very well written and probably even funnier in some ways, as far as number of great one-liners-per-show. My guess is that, while it did okay, audiences never identified with her as much as they did Girl-Next-Door Mary. I too, wish that they would release this on DVD.

Edited on 11/28/2007 10:09am

Mac-Ale

[4]Dec 8, 2007
    • level: 60
    "Rhoda" was not really very good, it was amazing to me how her spirit was written out after snagging the "trophy husband"...

But I really like Julie Kavner as Brenda in that show.

millerem99

[5]Dec 13, 2007
    But she (sadly) was divorced almost as quickly, and in between her on-the-rocks moments with Joe were what I remember as being funniest. It's been ten years since I saw it, but at the time I remember it being pretty decent.

millerem99

[6]Dec 13, 2007
    P.S. Some life on this forum, hurray!

pisceandreams

[7]Dec 14, 2007
    Now I'm really curious about watching Rhoda. I'll need to keep my eyes peeled for reruns, as I can't imagine it will be released onto DVD anytime soon...

Mac-Ale

[8]Dec 15, 2007
    • level: 60
    The divorce was dramatic, but it seemed so for its own sake, I never really believed Valerie Harper in this series, she had lost weight and gained a lot of gumption many years earlier on MTM, but in "Rhoda", she was too much the glamour girl and I just wanted her neuroses to come back.

pisceandreams

[9]Dec 23, 2007

Mac-Ale wrote:
    Valerie Harper had lost weight and gained a lot of gumption many years earlier on MTM, but in "Rhoda", she was too much the glamour girl and I just wanted her neuroses to come back.

I often wondered about that. Even towards the end of her stint on TMTMS she wasn't the same firecracker that she was in the early years. This is demonstrated in the season 3 episode, "Rhoda the Beautiful" when so much is focused on her physical shape (weight loss) that her sense of humor is compromised.

Edited on 12/23/2007 7:50pm