The Maxx

MTV - Music Television (ended 1995)

Zanshinkyo

The Maxx Fan Reviews (11)

• As one reviewer said a few years back: "The Only Thing MTV Never Screwed Up"...

That was stated by Richard Matthes back in '07... and it def rings true... between The Maxx and Liquid Television (and later Aeon Flux, MTV had pushed mature Animation from being strictly comical and childish into a legitimate form of artistic expression. Without these three shows (along with The Head and HBO's Spawn) becoming somewhat underground cult classics, the current wave of adult oriented animation would never have came to be... I seriously doubt Cartoon Network would have let Coast to Coast and the later Adult Swim stuff air (even at midnight on Sundays).

Enough of the arm-chair history lesson...

The Maxx, while on the surface a mere "superhero" show, is actually about much deeper and thought provoking. It depicts the mending of a fractured psyche and all the external and internal consequences in bloody detail. With characters that are fleshed out nicely and seem almost realistic in their motivations and drives. each fitting as another piece in the overall puzzle that keeps the viewer captivated as layers upon layers fall into place. Bottom line... just watch it... then think about it for a little while... then watch it again.
  • Watch this program now you wont be disappointed. Sorry about the repeated review but my computer crashed, can someone please tell me how to delete the other 3 posted reviews?

I used to watch this show when it first aired on MTV and recently decided to watch it again. I love the animation and dark stories told- but found it hard to review episodes because of the cross over action, between reality and fantasy worlds- however if you get to the final episode all is explained and my words do not do it justice. The show contains deep messages that are ambiguous from the context they are presented. This is best illistraighted in the last episode where Julie leaves Maxx, although they are never in a relationship the conversations they have mirror that of a couple going through a break up and have multiple meanings. A great show that should have lasted longer- give it a watch if you like cartoons like Phantom 2040, or Aeon Flux.
  • Go and watch it now, its worth it.

I used to watch this show when it first aired on MTV and recently decided to watch it again. I love the animation and dark stories told- but found it hard to review episodes because of the cross over action, between reality and fantasy worlds- however if you get to the final episode all is explained and my words do not do it justice. The show contains deep messages that are ambiguous from the context they are presented. This is best illustrated in the last episode where Julie leaves Maxx, although they are never in a relationship the conversations they have mirror that of a couple going through a break up and have multiple meanings. A great show that should have lasted longer- give it a watch if you like cartoons like Phantom 2040, or Aeon Flux.
  • give this show a watch.

I used to watch this show when it first aired on MTV and recently decided to watch it again. I love the animation and dark stories told- but found it hard to review episodes because of the cross over action, between reality and fantasy worlds- however if you get to the final episode all is explained and my words do not do it justice. The show contains deep messages that are ambiguous from the context they are presented. This is best illistraighted in the last episode where Julie leaves Maxx, although they are never in a relationship the conversations they have mirror that of a couple going through a break up and have multiple meanings. A great show that should have lasted longer than one season. Give it a watch if you like cartoons like Phantom 2040, or Aeon Flux.
  • Watch this program now you wont be disappointed.

• What you should know

Much too violent and sadistic for the casual animation viewer, at first taste the Maxx may seem a little hard to swallow, but as you continue witnessing the story you become more curious to its nature. What type of story is this? Where is it leading me? These questions become instinctive. To sum up this story in a few words or even sentences would prove to be a difficult task. The Maxx offers a distinct and creative alternative to the average superhero story, forcing you to think deep and struggle for answers. At its very core the Maxx is a story of harsh reality and supernatural ability of our minds. The artistic style is reminiscent of Dr. Suess( but with a much darker tone ) and other artists who made us expand our imagination. The content shows no mercy and was designed with mature audiences in mind. Indeed a somewhat tragedy , the story borderlines on depressing and offensive, but mostly provoking especially from a psychological standpoint. The Maxx borrows ideas from Alice in wonderland and many other stories about bizarre entities and worlds, but it does so with its own personality. The series has started showing its age, by evidence of its animation and production quality , but the storyline may never loose its appeal. Series creator Sam Keith gave us unique and interesting characters from this tale, as well as an entertaining perspective on human relationships. I can think of a lot of things I will take away from this series. The Izs will always standout as dangerously wild and playful little devils and the Maxx won't soon be forgotten as his image is etched in my mind. The way he stomped aggressively through the city streets or plains of Pangea, while being chased by a seemingly endless army of insatiable iz…fantastic.

Possibly this series will be labeled a cult classic and only discussed and appreciated by the hardcore fans, but I like to think it has earned a strong place as part of our pop culture, compared to such greatness in animation as Ren and Stimpy, Spiderman, X-men, etc.. I hope in the future several artists take notice of this series for inspiration.
  • This show needs to come to DVD!

MTV/Viacom is a terrible company that pretends that the 90's didnt exist. If you tune into MTV you will see that Classic Shows like this one and The Head are all but gone. Liquid Television, Aeon Flux, MTV's Oddities, & Cartoon Sushi are all replaced with reruns of The Hills, Laguna Beach, and America's Next Top Model. Makes me sick. People always tell me, "They are just showing what the people want to see" But i think they are forcing people to see this stuff. Anyway... The Maxx now here is a quality show. This is on par with the Spawn series that was on HBO and other greats. THE MAXX is a perfect mid 90's television show. And I miss it. This show needs to be on DVD!
  • A different cartoon

Sam Keith's Image comic is a dark epic about the struggles of a hurting young woman told in the brilliance of little creatures, alternate planes, and a purple clad alter-eog hero who she called the Maxx. Her name is Julie Winters, a freelance social worker and also the jungle queen of a land call Pangea. Maxx, nevermind how, is trapped in her soul and drifts between the real world and her spirit world where he battles the villian Mr. Gone and his armies of dark and light Isz.
    Beautifully told, this is one of those deep stories. It takes several times through to understand what is really happened. The animation was a grond breaking force of nature. But its one heck of a ride. The voices and art are fab, and so are some of the lines. I personally like the Isz myself. This is definitely worth checking out.
  • Loved it.

I loved watching this show when Teletoon picked it up. I had never heard of The Maxx up until then, and only recently picked up the first comic at a nearby comic shop. The scenes in the animated series were captured perfectly: watching the show was basically like watching the comics come to life. I only wish it had lasted longer.
  • nicely done.

after one day finding out my local comic book shop was closing, my mother picked this videotape called the maxx up dirt cheap. i thought 'the maxx? what the hell is this?' and stuck it in. i found it to be a very complex story with superb animation (the backgrounds were superb) and the although the story was sometimes very confusing, i found it a very good watch and will have to dig it up some day.
  • A miniseries about several people and the unreal world that draws them together, The Maxx was based upon a groundbreaking graphic novel.

The cast, at least in terms of regular characters, is kept small and close-knit. The characters, who are more connected then they first appear, take center stage in turn as the story moves from Maxx to Julie to Sarah to Mr. Gone and then back again. Even the secondary characters recur, the doctor from the morgue, the bald kid, each and every one of them becoming more interesting and involving as time goes on as a result.

The fact that the show is an adaptation from a comic book shows, often in the quality of the animation and the style. The backgrounds are often static, and sometimes the movement seems stilted and occasionally tacked on. Often, stills are used instead, zoomed in and out and moved around rather than being animated. This is one of many flaws that marr the series, the story and acting of which outstrips the quality of the animation by far. The art on the other hand is excellent, stylized and interesting. The comic-style backgrounds and effects prove very interesting to watch, although the focus of the series is, happily, the characters.

The focus on the characters is maintained throughout the series, often at the expense of the main plot. While episodes five and six focus on Sarah without much attention to the rest of the characters, save for some on Mr. Gone that becomes relevant later, they both progress the plot and provide interesting insight into the character. Fundamentally, however, the character best explored is Julie. She proves to be the focus of the story, while the title character is more often employed as a tool to explore her or to provide distraction. While this is interesting at first, later in the series I grew more interested in Julie and Sarah, as well as Mr. Gone. Happily, as the series reaches its conclusion, that is the case.

One thing that proves interesting about the series is how practically everything, no matter how extraneous it seems, proves relevant. Motifs, such as rabbits, dolls, and a particular song (I’m gonna marry a lighthouse keeper...) are established early in the series and followed through on, their relevance being revealed mostly in a monologue delivered by little Julie that explains a great deal. Ultimately, however, the series is less than perfect. While significantly above average, the occasional flaws in continuity and animation make its hard to follow plot harder than it has to be.