What do you think of the dub?

joeybrandojones

[1]Jun 27, 2007
    • level: 13

this anime I'm almost finished w/ this anime (in Japanese, but I did it chronologically). I seen on wikipedia, and here, that an American co dubbed this show. By the look of it, almost all the VA's are pretty good. Heres the list if you don't know about it:

Haruhi Suzumiya: Wendee Lee- shes pretty well know, very experienced and very well known for her role in Cowboy Bebop as Faye Valentine, TK in Digimon, Dorothy in MAR, and Yahiko in Rurouni Kenshin.

Kyon: Krispin Freeman, he's also well known, but mostly for the rople in Blood+ as Haji, Holland in Eureka 7, Alucard in Hellsing, some people in Naruto in cluding Itachi, Tsume in Wolfs Rain and Wonrei in Zatch Bell. He was also in Final Fantasy 7, the movie

Yuki Nagato: Michelle Ruff, which is Rukia in Bleach, Alvis in Last Exile, Snow in MAR, Elie in Rave Master, and some various people in Zatch Bell

Mikuru: Stephanie Sheh, which is Orihime in Bleach, Eureka in Eureka 7, Hinata in Naruto, Mamimiin FLCLand Penny in Zatch Bell

Last and not least Koizumi, which is voiced by Johnny Yong Bosch (which I'm sure you know already, so no need to say about him)

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

yian

[2]Jun 27, 2007
    • level: 3
    I think it sucks. The English voice over did a terrible job. They shouldn't even have wasted the time and effort.
    Edited on 06/27/2007 9:21pm

life_seems_bleh

[3]Jun 28, 2007
    • level: 2

I think it's because I watched in Japanese first. If I saw the English dub first I probably would have liked it more. I think the English dub could have been improved. Sometimes Kyon would annoy me. In the second episode when Haruhi says that she's not interested in ordinary humans and Kyon notices that Haruhi changes her hairstyle everyday, he goes through the days of the week with this singing tone. It just bothers me. I feel that Mikuru's voice is already high pitched in the Japanese version but with the English dub they tried to surpass that high pitched voice. I'm starting to get used to her voice, but would have been nicer with a different person.

I think the voice actors could have attempted certain scenes differently but there's not really much we can do. Anyway there's always the option to play it in Japanese which is nice when I can't stand some of the English version.

TriangleHard

[4]Jul 3, 2007

It would be a shame if people watch this anime dubbed.

The original Japanese voice acting was incredibly well done. I haven't watched any anime that was so well acted.

It was one of the high-light of this anime and already by being dubbed it loses it's charm.

yian

[5]Jul 3, 2007
    TriangleHard wrote:

It would be a shame if people watch this anime dubbed.

The original Japanese voice acting was incredibly well done. I haven't watched any anime that was so well acted.

It was one of the high-light of this anime and already by being dubbed it loses it's charm.

Very true. I believe that it was unfair for anyone to attempt to dub it, because the original simply did such a great job it is impossible to surpass them.

shinigamikid

[6]Aug 4, 2007
    • level: 32
    joeybrandojones wrote:

this anime I'm almost finished w/ this anime (in Japanese, but I did it chronologically). I seen on wikipedia, and here, that an American co dubbed this show. By the look of it, almost all the VA's are pretty good. Heres the list if you don't know about it:

Haruhi Suzumiya: Wendee Lee- shes pretty well know, very experienced and very well known for her role in Cowboy Bebop as Faye Valentine, TK in Digimon, Dorothy in MAR, and Yahiko in Rurouni Kenshin.

Kyon: Krispin Freeman, he's also well known, but mostly for the rople in Blood+ as Haji, Holland in Eureka 7, Alucard in Hellsing, some people in Naruto in cluding Itachi, Tsume in Wolfs Rain and Wonrei in Zatch Bell. He was also in Final Fantasy 7, the movie

Yuki Nagato: Michelle Ruff, which is Rukia in Bleach, Alvis in Last Exile, Snow in MAR, Elie in Rave Master, and some various people in Zatch Bell

Mikuru: Stephanie Sheh, which is Orihime in Bleach, Eureka in Eureka 7, Hinata in Naruto, Mamimiin FLCLand Penny in Zatch Bell

Last and not least Koizumi, which is voiced by Johnny Yong Bosch (which I'm sure you know already, so no need to say about him)

They seem pretty fit with the characters especially yuki the voice of rukia..it fit well? this should be interesting.

raienbrasa

[7]Aug 8, 2007
    • level: 13
    I liked it all right, but I definitely prefer the dub.

pr0udZuTaRiAn

[8]Aug 9, 2007
    • level: 22
    Eh. I dont like Haruhi's voice. I think Kyon's is good. I cant put my finger on it, but its so familiar oO

edit: I KNOW WHO IT IS! Its Hideki form Chobits. I knew it was familiar!
    Edited on 08/09/2007 11:46am

shinigamikid

[9]Aug 11, 2007
    • level: 32
    pr0udZuTaRiAn wrote:
    Eh. I dont like Haruhi's voice. I think Kyon's is good. I cant put my finger on it, but its so familiar oO

edit: I KNOW WHO IT IS! Its Hideki form Chobits. I knew it was familiar!

there you go.

blindinglight16

[10]Aug 14, 2007
    • level: 9
    I like the dub, Haruhi is too, well similar, to all of Wendi Lee's other parts, I like Kyon, and the others, varies...

chicken008

[11]Aug 24, 2007
    • level: 4

I just watched a couple of the english dubbed episodes..I think Kyon is decent, but the 4 other main character's voices are too high maybe..

Angus_Mac

[12]Sep 14, 2007
    • level: 71
    Wow, looks like the popular voice actors from Los Angeles got to participate. Should be fun; I like all their voices, even if their characters start sounding like their other ones from other series.

Michelle Ruff was also Chi in Chobits and Miki in Marmalade Boy, and Wendee Lee's voiced lots of enjoyable characters like Kiyone from Tenchi Muyo and Ryoko in Samurai Girl.

With the Japanese version, it's definitely a place for the newer voice actors for Kyoto Animation to shine; they were really fun to listen to in Lucky Star.

CountCristo

[13]Oct 7, 2007
    • level: 7
    Well, it's pretty obvious that Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya uses more of the "modern" production methods. Meaning, their art and music and scripting is so intelligently made. The English dubbers will have to work hard.

Gr33nHippo

[14]Nov 1, 2007
    • level: 1
    in my opinion, i thought the dubs were excellent. I watched about half the series in English and the other half in Japanese, and i preferred the English version. i felt the dub voice actors did a great job, on the same level of those for FMA, GITS, and Cowboy Bebop.

AxStarr

[15]Apr 4, 2008
    • level: 15
    I've only seen the preview for the dub (and haven't actually watched it yet), but from what I heard, it was done well enough. I mean, perhaps I should watch the whole series in English before I reach a true verdict, but that is where I stand as of now.

Becky_Lee

[16]Apr 24, 2008
    • level: 1
    what's wrong with you people?!
    there's nothing wrong with the english voice-overs
    they sound perfectly alright
    The voices of the characters suit them perfectly
    stop being a bunch of idiots and get some sense
    they probably only sound different to you because you've watched it in japanese and that's what you're used to

crisrj214

[17]May 1, 2008
    • level: 6

I personally like both the original Japanese cast and English dub cast. I watch the English dub first so I don't have to constantly be looking at the subs. Then I go back and watch Japanese with subs to see the changes in the script that were made in the dub and to here the original voices.

You have to hand it to the English cast. They worked hard. I have watched some dubs that lack...pretty much everything but words.

KotomiIchinose

[18]May 1, 2008
    • level: 11
    i think the dub is ok

0078h

[19]May 16, 2008
    • level: 6
    i only watched the dubbed. i didn't fancy having to read subtitles. plus, i saw a few clips in japanese and if Kyons voiceover started when someone else was still talking it's just really distracting to try and read both at the same time. whereas, its easier to listen to both.

Angus_Mac

[20]Jun 4, 2008
    • level: 71
    The DVD extras (ASOS Brigade) are still some of the funniest live action clips I've ever seen for an anime series. If you're an English voice actor fan, that's a can't miss.

And for those who prefer the Japanese voices, there is a ton of Aya Hirano footage.
    Edited on 06/04/2008 3:46pm