The Mentalist

Bloodsport

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Jan 06, 2011 on CBS

• Going nowhere: linear story and bored actors

This episode is going nowhere. It doesn't provide any clues about the Red John ark. Detective LaRoche is going very unpleasant, if not suspect. He's digging into team members' past as to protect himself.

The case seems clear about fight fixing since the very beginning. The trick Jane uses is so obvious I'm surprised it worked.

Another missing key element is fun: the whole episode is pretty linear and goes boring. There's no peps, no out-of-the-box surprise, no distanciated humour, no true actor performance. This is a sharp contrast with previous episodes.

I'm surprised how close "Lie to me" and "The Mentalist" are going. Both share same cases and same loss of energy. Maybe it's time to put an end to those series. Now, I'm sure fans would rate my review negatively. Instead, may I suggest them to try and encourage writers to find out new ideas for a better show?
  • 1/6

I am a huge Mixed Martial Arts fan so I was excited when I saw the previews for The Mentalist having an MMA episode, but they didn't even have any actual fighters appear on the show? Lame.

This was a decent enough episode, but it really got away from the fighting part pretty quickly and really made MMA look bad, which I am not surprised that a show targeted for older viewers would do.

The murderer was a bit of a surprise, but this felt more like Criminal Minds than The Mentalist. No Patrick Janeisms, nothing unique about this episode is the point I am trying to get across. Good, but not The Mentalist at all.
MNT