A The Mentalist Community
CBS (ended 2015)
I may have missed this in another post, but does anyone think that this is like a long winded version of Fight Club? As a theory, this may sound out there, but please hear me out. I mean the more the RJ story drags out, the more I wonder if the disciples of RJ aren't just protecting Jane. I mean in some ways Jane does have a bit of a personality disorder and it could be that all these people are working for him, and understand this "perceptions" changing and then play along.

OK also I think what may of pushed me in this direction, was when I watched "Wedding in Red". As they started looking for clues re: RJ's phobias etc. after listening to the tapes, and I understand Jane went on the roof under duress, but he was petrified of the height as well....

Please don't just disagree or insult me because of a little theory. I really want to hear more about other people's ideas about who RJ is. I know everyone is focused on the list, that Jane created, and good reasoning has come from this. I would just like to hear more views.
34 Comments
Comments (33)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I think the writers would be able to come up with some kind of explanation how Jane pulled this off. But then again, it really only would make sense if this would be the end of the series.
Flag
Yes, you may have missed some other posts! I also coined the theory that Patrick may have a multiple identity disorder and be RJ: Fire and Brimstone
Flag
I do know it was completely off the wall as a theory it has many flaws...and if I had sat down and thought about it, it wouldn't fit in most cases, but I had a thought and just went with it and wanted to share. Thank you for reading though and posting your thoughts and reasonings too.. :)
Flag
Patrick can not be RJ because:
1. Over the course of 6 seasons we have meet several individuals who have meet RJ and none of them recognized Jane for RJ. Such as Rosalind Harker, Rebecca and Lorelei Martins
2. Patrick has not been near enough to kill some of the victims
3. I do not think he ever spent time at the farm where they found the smily face
4. I believe on several occasions we have seen RJ in a scene watching or talking with Patrick
5. The show could not continue with out Jane
Flag
1.his father.
2.jane
3.graceXDshe has red hareXD
4.brother twin of the FBI agent
5.some pig form the storeXD
Flag
I prefer it's someone on the list or someone random. Jane, his father or someone on the team doesn't make sense and wouldn't even be interesting. Nevertheless, who the hell RJ is isn't as interesting as his backstory and reasoning for being the way his.
Flag
I've long thought Jane could possibly be Red John, his high intelligence and talent for noticing details creating a fractured mentallity. One personality is a goody goody good guy, helping to solve crimes and try solve the murder of his family. The other personality, unbeknownst to the goody goody personality, committing the murders and criminal schemes that Jane's good half has been attempting to resolve. I know that multiple personalities aren't a staple on tv the way they were in the seventies-eighties, but they aren't truly gone. Or maybe there is no split personality at all, and Jane has been pulling a fast one all these years.
Flag
If Jane or the CBI team were RJ, then this is really messed up and TV is dead! Let the VILLAIN be the villain and heroes be the heroes for goodness sake!
Flag
I also considered the possibility that someone on the team could turn out to be Red John. Like Rigsby. How messed up would that be? I'm sure there's plenty of evidence to discount that possibility though. I'd have to go back and watch the past episodes again, just to see.
Flag
I actually was hoping that the pretty blond psychologist who treated Jane (from "Red Brick and Ivy") was Red Jon so she'd earn his trust and then use it to mess with his mind. But she's DEAD now, so that's not possible anymore.
Flag
I very very briefly wondered if Jane was Red John too, but there's just no way that's possible. Red John hired that private eye woman, and she didn't recognize him. Plus, he was in the car with Lisbon when that woman got killed.

Then there's Lorelei. Not only did she go off to confront Red John, which would've involved calling Jane John if that were the case, but she also said that Jane and John shook hands at one point. You really can't shake hands with yourself unless you're being stupid.
Flag
The rj story is done in 2 episodes. It is not dragged out. 80 percnt of episodes are RJ free.
Flag
You want it but no RJ? Some r his disciples, killers (smith) and we know how RJ works. Helping each other out.
Flag
No offense but I have to question your sanity....

How can he rationally be RJ? Why would Kirkland think he is not a suspect as rj? Hightower said he was investigating it 9 years ago. Clearly he ruled him out.
Why did lorelai act like she didn't know? Lol do u realize the impossibility?
Why didn't kira say hey it was u asking me to bug? How can Jane be in the car and killing her? WTF........ is wrong with people.
Why doesn't Jane have the tattoo?
How was he with Rosalind and CBI with her calling as RJ watched?
If you think so, patrick must not only be psychic but houdini, man of steel and spiderman... He has to cross different states, Mexico in 2 secs flat. Why does he waste 10 yrs chasing a killer? A evil twin can't explain it.
Tired I don't wanna list a million more reasons.
Simon Baker, Heller the creator have denied it a million times and if you read spoilers you know they are right.
Patrick is rj as much as I am RJ. If there was any red herring to it, ok speculate all you want but NOTHING exists. I really wonder about some ppl....
More+
Flag
who cares who RJ is, I want to know the secret that the men of the list seem to have.
Flag
I am pretty sure they are members of a secrete organization of police.
Flag
Even if every clue pointed to Patrick Jane it could not be him.
That would reinvent the show from that moment on. It would go from being about a quirky sleuth into a cold blooded killer.
That won't happen.
Flag
Lisben wouldn't be able to interact with the suspects if this were true.

However if you push your original idea a little bit further, and his whole reality is a figment of Jane's mind after a mental break down following his families murder, I could see it.

However there have been a few interviews with cast and crew which would negate and alternate reality/ mental breakdown/ Inception style scenarios, and that there is a real Red John, and its not Patrick Jane
Flag
If you think of the Lorelei storyline you see that this would make no sense at all.
Flag
Jane is not Red John for sure... It wouldn't make any sense.
Flag
Not to burst any bubbles, but Simon Baker acknowledged in an interview a while back that it wasn't him. My new assumption is the three suspects work for Red John. As for RJ himself, I'm thinking Alex Jane, Patrick's father. He's kind of the one who taught Pat. Even though in early episodes it seems Patrick has surpassed his skill, I think getting hung out to dry would make you vengeful enough to sharpen till improvement.
Flag
I think ZachMerriman theory makes a lot of sense. If his dad happened to catch the tv show where Patrick is a guest and sees him all grown up, articulate, well-dressed, denigrating Red John, that might cause him to react badly enough to kill Patrick's
family to "teach him a lesson". Then years later, he and his dad could have shaken hands at some point as a way of putting their relationship on a less hateful footing. The handshake, of course, would have to have been initiated by his dad, who may have portrayed himself as old and sickly. If the handshake happened away from the show, then Lorelie could have known about while the viewers didn't even see it.
Flag
But that would mean Alex murdered his own granddaughter? Ugh. Plus, the whole shaking hands bit wouldn't make much sense either. As father and son, why would shaking hands be the pivotal point that could have made the two of them friends?
Flag
That's an interesting theory. Never thought of that one.
Flag
I think it's a great theory, but I don't think the writers would be brave enough to go down that route. That'd be like CSI revealing that Grissom was a serial killer all along - a fabulous idea but they'd probably get death threats from rabid fans for doing it...
Flag
I've been thinking about this theory myself and it does make sense on some points, but there are a lot of challenges for it to be correct. One of the biggest of them would be the blind woman who knew RJ. She is blind, her hearing should be awesome. She should recognize him if she heard Jane's voice.
Flag
It is an interesting theory, I thought of it when the series began but I don't think it is a plausible theory anymore.
Flag
That's actually a pretty good theory, I never thought of that. I'd have to look back at the series and see if its possible. But some of the things that have happened would be having his disciples doing some very elaborate things to him that just don't make sense. But it is TV so they don't have to make perfect sense I guess.

I do think RJ isn't on the list as well, but don't have a clue as to who it is.
Flag
Well Rj being Jane would be the dumbest thing on TV since the Lost finale . Just think back to last season and the whole Lorelei Martins arc and that whole "handshake" clue about RJ she told Jane about. So what she meant was Jane shook his own hand and could have been best friends with himself ?
Flag
Follow this Show
Members