A The Mentalist Community
CBS (ended 2015)
So we pick up our story two years after the events of last weeks episode.

What has changed....
1. Lisbon is a Police Chief somewhere, and is really bored.

2.Rigsby and Vanpelt have started their own company and have a kid who is apparently dying.

3. Cho is more robotic and is now an FBI agent.
4. Jane is an island man who grows beards and speaks horrible spanish.

What was good....
1. Lisbon and Jane are going to be working with the FBI!!

2. Lisbon's assistant is the best new character. He is also tied with the bloodthirsty elementary school kid.

2. The new characters. It is going to be so fun seeing them interact with the Jane.

What I don't like....
1. How much this episode resembled the first two episodes of Season four of white collar. Almost everything in it was copied from those episodes, so it felt old.

What I hope....

I really hope Patrick has pulled a fast one over the FBI agent and will not end up parole, with him constantly threatening to put him back in Jail, because again this is too much like White Collar.

poll
Comments (42)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I actually liked this episode. Yes, it was obvious that Kim was an FBI Agent, but as long as she and Jane didn't hook up I was fine with it. The Jisbon moments were kinda sweet, and I'm glad that we got a glimpse of what Rigsby and Van Pelt have been doing for 2 years. I didn't think the new characters were to bad and I hope we'll come to love them eventually.
Flag
It doesn't help that I can't stand the head FBI guys. He's so smug and annoying and I never understood why Lisbon and her team were in trouble when they exposed the corruption. I could tell that woman on the beach was a set-up and it's just kind of stupid. I like Lisbon why do we need some other bimbo... I found the whole episode annoying and disappointing. Jane hasn't grown or found closure. ugh
Flag
I agree that its hard to buy that Jane being Jane wouldn't have known who Kim was. And Abbott so far has been awesome as the character you love to hate.
Flag
Obviously there are some cursory parallels to White Collar, but the characters of Neal Caffrey and Patrick Jane are fundamentally different. Neal is constantly trying to hide what he's done or is planning to do from the FBI. Patrick simply doesn't care. I think that changes the dynamic of his working relationship completely. Patrick has never tried to hide his intentions unless it would hinder him completing his objective. Once the objective is complete, he doesn't care if everyone knows. And unlike Neal, who is always mindful of The Next Big Score, Patrick hasn't thought much about his life beyond Red John. He can see enough to know he doesn't want to go to jail, but he doesn't have a real plan.

As for the lives of the characters being boring, I think that was intentional and thematic. Many of the characters have been in some form of holding pattern, and Patrick realized that unless he pulled out of it, he'd end up the drunk idiot at the end of the bar. The only one who really moved on was Cho (okay, maybe Lisbon, but I have my doubts), and his inherent detachment probably made the implosion of CBI less of a speed bump to him than to the others.
More+
Flag
This is an awesome review. And I agree. It was so echoey (for White Collar)
Flag
I agree with most of the comments, this episode was boring somehow, but the annoying thing when they showed two years later, really, two years too much they could make it six or a year, I will wait for the next one
Flag
Not certain what Hightower did for Rigsby and Van Pelt that would rate (possibly) naming their kid after her. Clearly Jane's bud Franklin did some covert investigating through Abbott's effects and found some dirt which he told Jane before getting on the bus home--which will allow Jane to loosen the hold the FBI wants to keep on him...
Flag
This episode felt weird, was almost like watching a pilot episode . I didn't like how we didn't get to see the direct fallout from the death of Red John it seemed like they just hit a big reset button and swept everything under the carpet and fast forwarded 2 years . Also are we seriously to believe that Jane gets a free pass yet again considering this is his 2nd murder (although both men were scumbags u just cant go around killing people!), maybe a few years in prison and a reduced sentencing for consulting work with the FBI (like White collar :) ) would have been more realistic. Anyway despite these problems I am surprisingly excited about the new characters, I really like Abbott and Kim in 1 episode they are already more interesting than Rigsby and Van pelt Really hope they develop the 2 new cast members more, its about time this series became more than just the Lisbon/Jane show.
Flag
This one seemed to be a necessary but annoying filler episode, and it bored me, maybe more excitement next week I'm hoping :)
Flag
I'm not happy with this new FBI agent. I hope he doesn't become a regular. He reminds me of the agent from the movie Hackers, FBI agent Dick Gill. They both think they are smarter than they really are and they even look alike. It's like, if you are an arrogant douche you too can have a great career with the FBI. This could have been a better character. One that actually is smart and not trying to pull shit over on Jane. I'm not sure what I wanted but for it being two years later I wanted something better.
Flag
Only two things to say about the episode:
1-Kim had FBI written all over her.I am sure Jane saw that.
2-They key to Jane's freedom will have something to do with the "5copies" he got signed.
Flag
My prediction about the 5 copies is that one of them is a legally binding contract which Jane hid amongst the other.
Flag
I agree totally on the White Collar echoes... I kept thinking, not another conman on the run in a sunny caribbean islands where language barrier is an issue but locals are adorably quirky... Ugh! And Jane's sarong/skirt-like-pants were terrible...
Well at least they didn't drag it out too much... We're off the island and it didn't take several seasons like in Lost- Phew! I look forward to the new set up but i hope it isn't about white collar crime but good old bloody serial killers...
Flag
Kind of a cute, light-hearted episode. I thought it was nice.
Flag
I watched five and on half years of episodes of The Mentalist and all I can say is, "That was so weird!"
Flag
Agree, I immediately thought 'White Collar' too. If The Mentalist has a life after Red John, I am all for it. But I also agree, if it's going to be like White Collar and a never ending series of threats : 'You are going back to jail ....', it'll be too much of a copy series. I am voting : I will wait to see what happens.
Flag
very spot on with the white collar part
so is it gonna be a cat fight between Kim and Lisbon?
Flag
I hadn't made the connection to White Collar but it's true. One the other hand the way the last episode ended with Patrick 'on the run', there wasn't much they could have done differend to get him back work for police or an agency.
I just hope they aren't going to revive RJ another time.
Flag
I get my hopes up after this episode... There are flaws of course (and I do not know White Collar) but I am so happy we are finally over the red john part. Being threathened with jail and parole reminds me of the last season of House though but I don`t buy the Patrick not getting the FBI vibe from Kim. He must knew it.
Flag
Very white collar, I hope they're going somewhere new with this...
Flag
Hmm.....
Flag
spell check, guys ?!

its police chief, not chef...

their own company, not " there own company "
Flag
Appreciate the feedback! I just fixed those typos. Do note that this is a Community post written by @Vamps as opposed to a TV.com staff piece, so editing help is always appreciated!
Flag
thanks for reply!
Flag
It did feel old hat. The only thing I pondered was whether she was FBI or yet another RJ acolyte. All that book talk had me guessing if it'd have tiger, tiger in it. In fact I think I put more thought into this ep than they did.
The contract not a contract napkin debacle? Well, Jane did get him to sign 4 or 5 copies of something so, perhaps that's his ace as Abbott never checked what he was signing.
The drug bust was a joke. the FBI would've also had no authority and also got arrested for carrying firearms and acting as law enforcement. Now that should have been a fun story line; seeing Abbott and his goons carted off too!
Ms. FBI clearly had some magic ice to apply to Jane's undamaged morning lip and face. And managed to give herself away with the 'excellent tea'.
For a man in hiding in plain sight he makes magic tricks so's all the kids know him. He never appears to have a source of where his money's at but always has cash and buys tailored clothes. oh and lest we forget, uses his own name, a letter trail and (area specific) shell trail! The obvious guess is intentional bread crumbs to eventually get picked up.

More+
Flag
1There is a reason Jane put his conditions on the same napkin that the undercover FBI agentess put her phone number on, that he then got main fed to sign.
I dunno exactly how it will play but Jane prolly made agentess before he even spoke to her & will construct a typically Patrick Jane piece of trickery to make the feeb's plans back-fire and get a parole-free gig with Lisbon, Cho and the whiny couple ( nowcomplete with whiny child) playing happy families in their own special FBI northern California division.

Who knows - maybe after alla that red john is dead garbage dissipates the old mass murderer & sexual deviant will resurface as well,
Flag
Sorry not sure what happened with the title
Flag
No worries! I touched it up and promoted to the homepage for you. You can always hit the edit icon on the story if you want to make more changes.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members