A The Mentalist Community
CBS (ended 2015)
Patrick Jane has finally caught and killed his white whale...

While I quite liked this episode and the fact that RJ's identity was finally revealed.

I wish it had been gradual within the episode itself. Within a very short period of time we learned that not only was Mcallister still alive, but he was the head of the Blake Association and RJ.

I wish this had all been revealed slowly over the course of the episode. I also wish that Mcallister had taunted Jane more about all the people he killed. RJ is a very brazen serial killer and his confrontation with Jane felt off. I think he should have told in great detail how he killed Jane's family and he should have blamed Jane for multiple deaths. I also don't think he should have been sorry for killing Jane's family. Mcallister should have played the role much more evil and arrogant. He used seemed so weak and pathetic, not at all like the person we have been led to believe is RJ. This is a man who is suppose to inspire people to follow and kill for him. He is also brazen enough to kill multiple law enforcement including the head of CBI. I just did not get this vibe from Mcallister.

I would also have loved to see at least one flashback where he painted the red smily face on the wall beside a murder victim, it also would have great to see
Mcallister walking up the stairs of Jane's family home.

Also, I wish that the death scene had felt more emotional or angry, I also wish it had taken place somewhere more meaningful, rather then a random park. Maybe the Jane family residence or in the cemetery where Jane's family are buried.

If it had not be explicitly said that we would learn RJ identity in this episode I would be under the impression that Jane had killed another false RJ. It all just ended to fast for me.

When we return on December 1st it will be with a two year time jump, so it will be interesting to see where Jane is and how he has dealt with his the end to his decade long search for the man behind the curtain. I also think that there is going to be a new setting so that should also be very interesting.

This is what I think. What about all the rest of you?

Comments (36)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Ok... this TV series is based on mind games played by red john and Patrick Jane that's why I don't think revealing the identity of red john would be so lame. In fact their is two options to follow:
1- Red john is still alive and Mcallister was sent to mislead Jane and the lady in church was sent to make sure he felt for it OR
2- Mcallister is red john and the lady in church was sent to make sure he is safe ( lame theory)
In my opinion red john is still alive and he will be revealed in the proper way. ( like everyone is asking). The episode 8 was a regular mislead created by Heller to get results such as complains from audience and disappointments...
For me their is no way Heller who created a great successful TV series will lead to an end that I would call a "fucked up end " that has ruin everything.
Hope I'm right... and if I'm right red john is Brett Partridge :)
why am I so sure ?... when they where in the church and Patrick explained to Mcallister how he faked his death he said " faking your own death was easy , Brett Partridge was Blake association, his job gave him access to the primary DNA database. He switched your DNA records with a body that you had on ice..." this sentence made think... how can Partridge help RED JOHN switching DNA after his death so if I follow my opinion he's still alive and could be red john and might not be... we cannot know until we watch more...
More+
Flag
Brett Partridge would have made a better RJ than McCallister. My fave pic though was Ray Haffner. He was charming and i think the actor could have really brought that serial killer vibe to his performance.
Flag
Such potential...

Personally, I would have liked something really dramatic, maybe a little over the top if anything.

For example, a stand-off over the Jane family graves with Jane aiming the gun at Red John and the FBI surrounding them and everyone's yelling at Jane to put down his gun. With dramatic music and cool camera angles. Then Lisbon would get out of the car and have a really emotional talk with Jane - still with all the guns surrounding them - and Jane cries (beautifully) and puts down his gun, decides to be the better man. He turns around to hug Lisbon BUT THEN some of the Blake disciples pop out the trees and open fire on the FBI. Cho, Rigsby and Van Pelt help the FBI defeat the Blake crazies, BUT THEN RJ picks up a gun from a fallen FBI officer and is about to kill Lisbon but Jane spins around and pewpewpew he kills RJ to defend her.

But instead... I love the show and everything, but for an episode involving the unmasking of our six season long big-bad, it was just a bit boring.

More+
Flag
RJ should have had been a real warped, sinister and perverted abomination to have had been able to commit so many murders and a brain of a superior alien to run such a vast network of corrupt cops/judges/FBI...blah blah blah. Yet when he was shot by Jane in the church, and there after a long chase by the pond, he whimpered like a pussy, begging for his life. This does NOT fit the profile of a monster serial killer. I believe Lisbon is 100 times more of RJ (if indeed he is) in that she has the gumption, courage and strength of character to just take death like a real heroine or "villain", without whining, had she been confronted with being killed. Like in my previous post on another recent Mentalist thread following the end of this episode, I just wanna say this episode ending is pure BS! Zzzzzzzzz!
Flag
I'll never forget that smile Jane had on his face when he killed the "first" Red John back in what was it? Season 3? Man, that felt good and right. I loved the Mentalist and I would have been quite sad when the series had ended then but I remember thinking to myself: if this is the end ... its the best there is. It left me with a satisfied feeling. This episode didnt even come close. But still I felt it was ok, even though the catharsis didnt hit quite the same. Looking forward to seeing them move on.
Flag
I'm sorry, but it just occurred to me what felt so "off" about McAllister being Red John. Red John is supposed to be so charismatic that multiple people have been willing to kill/die for him. McAllister has all the charisma of a old shoe. Or a dirty towel. Or...fill in the blank.
Flag
All I wanted to know is how he got the seven names months before Jane did. It bugged me when it happened and it's still bugging me.
Flag
This episode was a black mark on the career of all the writers involved. If I was another network I wouldn't ever employ them. It took 3 years too long to reveal Red John and when they finally got around to it, they half-assed it. So much potential wasted in ONE episode. That's what gets me, you couldn't reveal Red John and have it play out over several episodes? Just such a waste. Unreal that 6 years of television can be ruined by 40 minutes of garbage.
Flag
I personally have to disagree with Vamps. First, I don't see RJ and especially Mcallister holding a monologue about his deeds. I never saw RJ as someone killing because he just liked it. He did it for the hunt, outsmarting the police and later Patrick.
They did this the right way, having him relishing that he seemingly defeated his opponent, fooled him right in the end.
Him 'being sorry' could easily be just a last ploy stopping Jane from killing him.

I am just glad that the writers kept this on track. I won't discuss if this was justice, murderer or else but it was consistent with Patrick Jane's character. Him killing RJ was what he had sworn to do from the beginning and him having remorse in the end would have destroyed the show.

Now we have to see how they do this without RJ.
Flag
The episode and the reveal of Red John seemed underwhelming. The whole FBI storyline seemed forced.. Why was Theresa's team in trouble when they were the ones who outed the director!!?? just didn't make sense to me.
Flag
While it's not the end of the series and technically the very end of the episode was in a park, I thought "What the hell? Another show with lots and lots of questions and bugger all answers ending up in a church? Wtf?"

:p

I think I still need time to process it though. Who was the lady? Just another follower and why make a big deal of showing her get away? What now for the Blake Association? What are its origins etc? How did he know the list?

Way to many questions and not enough answers. Also, I would have liked to have RJ more defiant then he was but then crumble like he did when he knew he was going to die.
Flag
Funny. Headline has big warning about spoilers. Don't read if you are not ready...
Except for that picture revealing Red John. Give me a break.
Glad I already saw the episode
Flag
I don't agree that RJ should appear stronger in the end.

Bullies are often cowards when the tables are turned on them.

RJ was all powerful/maniacal when he held all the cards, but once he was injured, and feared for his life, he crumbled.
Flag
There is also the possibility that Red John never actually killed anyone. The impression I got was that he was the puppet master and his Blake disciples did the killing. We will never find out forensically or otherwise what actually happened after Jane took care of him.
Flag
That was what we would expect but that's no fun. The whole point of RJ is that he was smarter than Jane, hopefully more secure as well.

I bet they are going to reveal some pathetic childhood for RJ that explains why he became the man he did but that would also ruin it.

Some people are just born differently and choosing his kind of life even if he had a great childhood would have be harder for Jane to accept which makes it good writing.

They missed a flashback too and frankly, while I wouldn't expect this from a serialized show such as this, keep him alive at least for a few more episodes without it becoming some annoying man hunt. In fact, this episode would have been far better without the FBI hunting Jane (and Bertram) so that Jane and RJ didn't have to rush things with their own agendas.

And the best (worst!) part is that RJ claimed Jane to be arrogant yet he didn't have a backup plan. He bragged about running a secret empire of thousands of people yet he had one body guard? That was very poorly executed.
More +
Flag
Agree that the RJ scenes were wasted and uninventive to say the least. All RJ had to do was run to a populated area or create a hostage scenario with the family's home he crashed into. But no. A pointless dash away from people and a weak Hollywood schmaltz moment of regret for RJ. If Jane was satisfied with that level of revenge, well I for one feel deeply cheated that it took all those seasons to get to it. As such, I'm actually hoping they get the CSI universe in and have them go, oh look petechial hemorrhage in the eyes. It's murder. Jane hunt!
Flag
I still do not believe for ONE MINUTE that Mcallister is Red John, think we are in for another twist in the remaining episodes!
Flag
As far as I know there are still 5 episodes left before the end. I am sure, we going to be in for a surprise - don't believe the writers that the Red John story line has been dealt with. My money is on the last episode, as Patrick has finally puts the past behind him ready to start his new life, he will be called to a crime scene with the all too familiar smiley face on the wall as the episode fades out. That would be the most clever stunt of writers of a series ever - make everyone believe the story line is dealt with and come in for a jaw dropper at the end.
Flag
They've already said that Red John storyline is finished. They will jump ahead 2 years and pick up the story there and they specifically said Red John won't even be mentioned in the episode. Show isn't worth watching anymore anyway.
Flag
RJ ideny still not known, u think it is, but still some gaps to be filled....

I dont believe RJ is what they said, but we never know. Anyway i dont buy it.
Flag
I have the same opinion about this episode, RD won't give up that easy, he still alive, and if that was really RJ that didn't mean the Organisation is dead , they will come after Patrick... We have to wait for next week episode and I con't wait honestly......
Flag
Too much running from one place to another for me.Instead they should have focused on Red John more and maybe show us some flashbacks of his life.
Flag
Blaaah...
Flag
I agree with your post, too much time wasted in this episode on car chases and the FBI. A slow, gradual reveal to who he was would have been more interesting without the cheap-thrill of someone hunting Jane while he hunts RJ. A flashback would have been great too, I can't believe they didn't use one and the fact that RJ was slightly afraid in the end and that he actually was more of an egomaniac like Jane said? That wasn't fitting. What a waste too with Xanderly, such an excellent actor for RJ if he had been more sure of himself.

Looking back at it now, RJ likely didn't have such an awful childhood like the rest of the people he inspired but his need for attention was pathetic. The idea that he taunted Jane about some trick instead of his family, that was just out of place.
Flag
I was afraid of this the whole time. I think it was kind of lame... However I am wondering if they had a chance of satisfying us all. There would have been plot holes with every pick. In my opinion the three dot tattoo was a shame to be introduced to the plot, sooo cheap. I do not know which three writers were responsible for these 3 episodes but I would not hire them. In 6x6 the interesting thing was the last 2 minutes, in 6x7 they left a bunch of questions unanswered and unasked also, and now McAllister utters one sentence in the voice that we heard for so long. They have run out of imagination and creativity I suppose...
I thought that in the end RJ will say that one of Lisbon`s team is a tiger also...
Good example for bad storytelling.
Flag
I just saw that Heller himself wrote 6x08... Wow...
What do you think the reason is killing the Evil Overlord at the 8th episode of a season. I am really curious...
Flag
There would not have been many (or any) plot holes if they had decided on who RJ was from the beginning. That is how good writers handle the main villain.
Flag
Exactly... Good writers who care about the plot (and the audience) and think it through - even if it is not paid for then, just later.
Flag
Just some trivia--did you see in the interview with Simon Baker that he actually did all the Red John voice lines? Interesting, I must admit.

Also, where is this incredible charisma Red John is supposed to have? People are willing to kill and die for him without blinking--even Grace's fiance was ready to kill her for him. McAllister and charisma? Are you KIDDING me?
Flag
Quite funny the voice thing.
McAllister was not elaborated as RJ, I have to admit. If his identity was revealed in 6x07 and fled, we could have had some time to know him as RJ with face until being killed at the end of 6x08. Coulda, woulda, shoulda...
Flag
I dk, I was kind of let down by Mcallister being RJ. Even though I was soooo tired of the RJ thing I couldn't hardly stand it. But I thought there would be more to the end of RJ. He kind of went out like a wimp. Not some great evil master mind serial killer. I did like that Jane choked the last bit of life out of him though..you could just see the release of all those years of suffering Jane went through. All I can say is I am glad we have FINALLY gotten rid of RJ. I was so sick of that character. I am ready for some fresh ideas for the lives of Jane and the gang.
Flag
There was a lot of focus on this young FBI agent-that makes me suspicious. He could be one of the Blake gang. And McAllister started to say he got the list from an insider when Jane cut him off..that has to be resolved.
McAllister could be RJ-never liked him-always arrogant-but I agree it was too fast, and sort of a letdown. As to the woman in the chapel-she was obviously ordered to check on what was doing, and expected to find Jane dead and RJ ok but had to react quickly when she saw the situation-perhaps a backup plan?
Flag
Totally agree with you on Mcallister the actor playing him is just too old and came across as frail and weak. The rest of the team also had nothing to do this episode bar 1 scene was also a big FAIL by the writers. In fact the actor who played the fake RJ who Jane killed was so much better as RJ, that guy oozed creepiness and just fit the persona perfectly
Flag
The final showdown was really disappointing.
The facts that Jane had no questions, that he didnt realize the woman was an acolyte STRAIGHT A-FUCKING-WAY and that instead of having the final scene in the church, we got a foot chase were all mistakes to me.

I totally agree that RJ should have been taunting Jane and there should have been some flashbacks to his kills - instead we got a bland wrap up.
The fact that RJ also pleaded for his life and regretted killing Janes family were cop outs.

RJ had been built up as a truly evil genius, but this ending has tarnished any real legacy as a memorable bad guy.

I personally thought the showdown with Bradley Whitfords character a few seasons ago was much better
Flag
When I saw Red John blinking twice I thought two things. First, this was just another Red John stooge. Then I started thinking that maybe the writers did that to show that Patrick had finally defeated Red John uttererly. That Patrick had reduced Red John to a snivelling coward begging for his life like his victims instead of being the grand villian that he thought he was.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members