A The Mentalist Community
CBS (ended 2015)
I loved this episode (except for the 3 month time jump) it was great. So many classic Jane moves, new fresh characters and a slightly interesting case. Best parts...

1. Jane drinking tea in a very nice detention facility still with his island beard. (which I love by the way and hope he keeps for sometime yet):

2. The Case of the missing stabler and Lisbon's expression as she realized just how far she has sunk from head of a division at the CBI:

3. Jane psychic thing with the gypsy women.

4. Kim awkwardly asking if Lisbon and Jane had ever been involved.

5. Jason Wylie. I love him and really hope he is hear to stay. he is so funny.

6. Wylie not knowing why people can call him Coyote.

7. Jane spray painted road map for the FBI, that they would have had to use satellites to find

8. Jane laying down while still eating a bacon wrapped hotdog

9. The psychic, getting murdered all Dexter Like and buried in the garden by Defiance's hot tempered boyfriend.
10. Jane threatening the FBI, with a fake list.

10. Lisbon is joining the team and giving Jane socks.

This new set up feels like a fresh start but with characters we love. I can't wait for the rest of the season, I really think it will be fun and enjoyable.

poll

Comments (59)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
i waiting next episode
Flag
Still think Jane has something up his sleeve why else did he get Abbott to sign 5 napkins in Mexico anyway this episode was OK. Found the case of the week to be pretty dull but of course the chemistry between Jane/Lisbon really lit up the screen. I really enjoy Agent Abbott and his refusal to give in to Jane's charm/games , agent Kim seems a bit one dimensional atm but hopefully they will dedicate an episode or 2 to fill in the back story of these 2 new cast members. I do agree though with the overall sentiment it does feel like a new show , with new surroundings and new team members, it will be interesting to see where they go with this and whether there will be an overarching BIG BAD(s).
Flag
After the Red John story this has really taken a nosedive the writing haphazard they is no excitement and its predictible. RIP The Mentalist
Flag
Really wanted Cho to tell Jane that Affleck was awesome/terrible as Batman just to justify the two-year jump...
Flag
Somewhere, in a TV writer's cubicle...
"I know, let's scap the last 5 3/4 years of story arc, and start over! We'll dump The red head with the big shoulders, and the big lovable lug, and get a couple of new faces! We'll do away with the whole Red John thing, and it's million plot holes, and put Lisbon, Cho & Jane in t FBI! That way they can go national!"
-
Really?
-
Sometimes a show "jumps the shark", but this one has cleared the entire campus of SeaWorld.
Oh, and someone tell that new dragon lady FBI agent Fischer to cut her hair differently. Bangs and eyebrows would help soften the whole skull face look.
And another thing... are you telling me that Jane couldn't tell she was planted in the foreign country to feel him out? With his powers of deduction???
Even I knew she was a phony!
**sigh**
And I REALLY want to punch that Agent Abbott.
Maybe they should introduce a vampire character, or an alien...
Flag
Look, first of all, the actor who plays Abbott had to have a new gig since he's *SPOILER*REMOVED*
Second, my guess is that there are so many women out there who are in love with Jane's looks and his quirkiness, that they had to keep the franchise going. Come on, it'll be fun! (That's what she said.)
Truth be told, we were getting a little lost in the ridiculous conspiracy thing, so I welcome the reboot and wish them well. Now, of course, we just need Lisbon to sleep with Jane and only then will it be over.
Flag
...sleep with Lisbon? Why? She's an odd looking girl, and the actress can't...act.
Flag
Well...after bringing the RJ arc to an end, what else could they have done?
And after having a warm and fuzzy workplace, Jane (and Lisbon) now has to adapt to a much harsher environment.

Also: I think (hope) we will learn in the future that Jane did in fact figure her for a plant. He must have. Way to many coincedences to be just random. But maybe we are supposed to believe his guard was down.... ^^
Oh, and I agree with Jane - the Kim we saw on the Island is the "real" one, not the one we see at the FBI. As we wittnessed with her akward question about "hooking up" with Jane. The look just goes with the hard FBI-fitting personality she portrays.

I'll give the new setup a few more episodes....since this is almost like judging a whole new series....

Flag
I hope you are right. I really do.
Flag
At least they haven't done a full derailment (see season 6 of Lost).
Flag
I am loving the new vibe of the show! Still think there is a twist coming - Patrick Jane is up to something related to the whole Red John story arch. Also loving the chemistry between him and Lisbon - go Jisbon! :-) :-)
Flag
Thwere was one moment in the episode (in the cell at the end) when I thought Lisane/Jisbon would happen, but Patrick still is only smiling.
Flag
I still think (hope) that goes more to the bro/sis side of things. Jane and Kim seem more likely to me.
Flag
I liked the episode but Agent Kim was very annoying IMO.
Flag
Would have been great if they ended Red John and started the FBI setup sooner. 6.5 seasons of RJ and CBI. How many can we expect of the new setup? Should we expect a new villain? Or is the new focus going to be the remaining members of the Blake Assoc ( assuming they decrypt the thumbdrive at some point )?
Flag
Cho's line about how to "handle" Jane~basically use him was very wise and so very Cho. Cho stands out as becoming one of the more interesting characters. He's always been interesting but imo he should of had more screen time in the past.

So far I'm not impressed with the character Agent Kim. I'm not impressed with her "by the book" "I'm the boss of you" way of dealing with people but she has hints of potential (when she talked to LIsbon about Jane...stupid to ask if Lisbon and Jane had been intimate or imply that question but she showed hints of humanity---so maybe her "real" self is how she was when she first met Jane). Did she sleep with Jane because she liked him (Jane implied she was her "real" self when he 1st met her) or did she sleep with him to gain his trust and manipulate him if that needed to happen. Since it didn't need to happen then I question what her motivations are/were. Also is she the type to step on everyone to advance in her career (how could she say she would shoot Jane--that didn't look like an office environment for joking...maybe in the IT department but not in the division Kim works in). I'm not sure how I feel about her. Mostly not a fan but I liked the softer or less secure side she showed when talking to Lisbon.

The newbie (former IT guy) seems very cartoonish/stereotyped with obvious comedic potential. I hope they don't go to over the top unrealistic with that character.

I like the "new" Jane. Lisbon continues to be "real" imo. She tries to do the right thing but sometimes she will overlook potentially grey areas in order to do the overall correct thing. She usually avoids going grey but will do so if that is the best/only option....like her being on board with the fake list of names since that is the realistic option for Jane.

I hope Cho is featured more prominently. The Following FBI agents could learn a bunch from him. FINALLY a smart FBI agent;-)
More+
Flag
After last weeks episode that bridged the 2-year time gap beautifully and set up the new situation for all our characters, this weeks was sort of the conclusion to that setup. It showed us what would have happened if Jane had accepted the FBI-deal. Hopefully in the next ep. we will see what the final setup of the team and situation at the FBI looks like.
For example, to me, it looked like Lisbon was telling Jane on the plane that she expected a more equal relationship than they had before. I am looking foreward to the labor pains of the new team forming in the FBI-setting. Something we didn't get to see bevore with the CBI.

Wylie replaces VanPelt for the techie-stuff and Kim.... will either be the team-leader or the Rigsby-replacement. I'm fine with either. I thought Kim asking Lisbon about a possible Jane-hookup tells us there will be something going on between the two of them. I just hope the writers don't go the lovetriangle route with Lisbon. After 5-1/2 years working together that would be redicoulus to me. To me the two seem more like brother and sister. Her getting Jane some wool socks shows that she "gets" him on a very fundamental level. Wool socks are not just something warm - but something cozy for the cold and sterile FBI environment. In that sense the new office-set complements the atmosphere that Jane will be working in very well.
More+
Flag
It took me so long before I realised there was an actual character called defiance...
Flag
I like the change The Mentalist has made. The best parts of the show are still there and it has a chance to reinvent itself. I never liked Van Pelt and Rigsby, so I won't miss them. The characters and story lines that were dragging down the show are gone. Here's to a new chapter.
Flag
I will miss looking at Amanda Righetti ......
Flag
Thank you for saying that. I wil, as well.
Flag
Your observations are bang on. You see this thing in sports all the time where teams sign players to long-term contracts and they do not perform. Unfortunately, you can't trade an actor to another show. Van Pelt should have died saving Lisbon and Hightower at the end of Season 3. I like Rigsby but you could tell the writers couldn't find material to suit him. So now we have Jane, Lisbon and Cho and the new characters look promising. Let's look to the future.
Flag
I love the way the color theme is continuing, with OTHER colors than red: "My Blue Skies", "Green Thumb"...after 5 1/2 years of every imaginable shade of red it's a welcome break.
Flag
I agree I can't wait to see what other colors they use.
Flag
also Cho really nailed it! I hope to see him more in gang related episodes since he has a past with the type of people and I just love seen their faces when they realize that Cho isn't just a suit.

Flag
Man, the Jane v.2.00 or post-revenge Jane is on FIRE :D
I really was terrified of checking how many episodes were left and I just assumed that after finding Red John it will all end, but here we are :)
Let Jane play !!! or better yet try and stop him :D

Flag
It was a great episode, and as stated aboven, it feels like a fresh start.

Flag
One thing I didn't particularly like about the episode was how they were constantly jumping back and forth between between Austin and New York, just how many Air Miles did they rack up? Enough to buy their own jet?

But on the upside, while Agent Kim appears to be Cho's superior he didn't have any problems putting her in her place about losing Jane
Flag
And I loved it that Jane, by his escape, essentially said, "I WILL eat if I'm hungry and if you don't let me then I'll show you up for the moron you're acting like." I wonder just how insecure Agent Kim is to need to be so power-player nasty.
Flag
I just liked the episode. It gave us more visible Jane tricks then usual, indeed probably to set things up. Loved the interaction between Jane and Lisbon, they make it fun. Cho and the new guy 'Coyote' will be sidekicks that will also deliver on the lighter side of the show.
Flag
Looking at last week and this week, I could almost see the relief on the actor's faces in that they got to play the parts they have come to embrace. Simon Baker was gleeful and Robin Tunney was great. Maybe saying goodbye to their friends was difficult and now they can move on.

I look forward to seeing how the Lisbon character evolves now that she's no longer the boss.
Flag
I do like the changes and I hope if they will bring back the old gagne to work with FBI, this was a good start so far and we will have to a doubt the new style of the show.....
Flag
After last week, whatever the hell that was, this was the show I know and love. Did you catch the subtle changes in the theme and episode music? It's like the producers are saying welcome to The Mentalist 2.0.

For me, The Mentalist has always been about Jane and Lisbon. They're the reason I started watching and the reason I continue to watch. I'm glad they kept Cho as well. I think his character will grow in the absence of Rigsby and Van Pelt.

Never get tired of the victim or perp o' the week asking Jane, "How do you know that?" because it's done interestingly and intelligently every time. it's the show's signature and will continue to be.

Thought it was great to use Jane's Red John legacy to get him (and Lisbon) back in the game. Even better that it's a Jane fabrication.
Flag
I didn't mind the time jump and actually liked it better than previous non Red John episodes - it just seemed a lot fresher.
I like how they are handling Cho - he seems a lot better without Rigsby
Also Lisben and Jane showed really good chemistry.
Flag
It's almost like the producers are glad the Red John saga and cast changes are behind them. They took a deep breath and said,"Let's get back to what we do best." I'm all for it if Green Thumb is any indication.
Flag
My only problem is why change tactics so far into the game with only half a season left. I like the changes, i'm just wondering how the show will get any sort of meaningful conclusions from these events?
Flag
I agree that the timing is kind of weird. Red John would normally be a season finale and My Blue Heaven would be the first episode of a new season. It would be interesting to ask Bruno Heller what is happening.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members