A The Mentalist Community
CBS (ended 2015)

We're sure Patrick Jane saw this coming, but we didn't! CBS has renewed The Mentalist for Season 7, according to The Hollywood Reporter

There's been plenty of speculation about the series' future since it wrapped up its seasons-long Red John mystery earlier this year. When it wasn't included in the network's big batch of renewals announced in March, we started to think that maybe this was the end for the Simon Baker series. Rumors were swirling about the show being shopped to other networks, but it looks like CBS just isn't ready to part with it just yet. 

Unfortunately, that's not the case for several other seriesThe network has canceled dramas Intelligence and Hostages, as well as freshman comedies Bad TeacherFriends With Better Lives, and The Crazy Ones

Their spots on CBS's schedule will be divided amongst all the new series the network ordered on Friday, which include NCIS and CSI spin-offs, Matthew Perry's Odd Couple remake, and more.

Are you excited for The Mentalist, or were you ready to say goodbye? Bummed about any of the other shows? Indifferent all around? 

Check the Status of Your Favorite Shows:
What's Renewed, What's Canceled, and What's Still In Between?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 2/18/2015

Season 7 : Episode 13

159 Comments
Comments (159)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I thought the mentalist was renewed from CBS for season 7. Then I read that it was cancelled. Do we know when it will start again? I was waiting this fall for its premiere.
Flag
In May I was glad that it was renewed, but still no start date and now I am hearing cancellation rumors again wtf. Cancelling The Mentalist will be a big mistake.
Flag
Seriously, I was wonering what was going on since I didnt see it on the list of premieres...I look forward to this show!
Flag
Help! - i watched a pilot a few months back and totally forgot the name of it, but i remember it being pretty damn good yet i heard its cancelled already. It was something like, half a dozen people end up locked in an underground parking garage and when they finally emerge hours later there has been an "attack" of sorts on the city, they end up stealing a van and drive to one of the old ladies houses, where they discover they share the same birthdate? and at the end of the episode im sure some sort of alien makes an appearence. - im not even sure what network it was on
Flag
ru talking about The After. Its not cancelled i think. Its for Netflix i think.
Flag
I wil miss Intelligence (for its potential as much as anything else) but the Mentalist renewal has me very happy. I love the difference it has with other police procedurals and the ways Patrick Jane can mess with people are often very funny. Bring back the Walter Mashburne character again and i'll be a happy man.
Flag
I think intelligence had great potential and was sad they canceled it.
Flag
I am elated to see the Mentalist renewed!!!!!! can hardly wait for the new season and hopefully many more seasons. just love all the characters! want to see where Jane & Lisbon go from here; delightfully funny and romantic I hope!
Flag
I'm hoping he wasn't really Red John lol the clues were too subtle and all the who har. It just didn't fit the guy he thinks he killed. Here's to hoping anyway. We have one last season of PJ v RJ and then finish the show properly giving the fans what they deserve. I'm still convinced it's Jane himself and when he gets denied by the CBI bird PJ will snap and RJ will make a reappearance.
Flag
Thank You so much
Flag
i love this show i hope more 7,8,9,10
Flag
So glad with this renewal...although disappointed for Intelligence cancellation.
Flag
i love this show, i want to scream when i find it is renewed. Hope the writer can bring more interesting story to us don't waste Simon, such a good actor.
Flag
I really like the Mentalist. In fact I almost like this season better than the earlier ones. It is not as dark and feels like a nice transition from Hunting Red John to life after it. I wouldn't mind if next season is the last though...I just want it done right.

Flag
Why don't Crazy ones and Intelligence show up on your master list of what's renewed, what's canceled, and what's still in between?
Flag
Friends With Better Lives is one of the best new shows on! I hate starting new shows and have them canceled.
Flag
Gosh, even Baker look bored to death this season, I, for sure, was. I liked only 1 episode this season (Violets). Really not seeing the point, I mean, all was said with season 5.
CBS need to learn when it's time to pack gracefully : it's clearly time for "The Mentalist". I liked it for the first seasons, but this show has to go. Now.

Truly bummed for "The Crazy Ones", it's a totally pointless serie, but, I can't say why, I LOVED it !
Flag
I'm happy about The Mentalist getting renewed. It was the only show left that I was waiting to hear about. For the most part, I stay away from the new shows (except The 100), so pretty much everything I watch was renewed. YAY!
Flag
Not surprised about Intelligence but deceived...

Now, since The Crazy Ones has been canceled also maybe ABC can recuperate Josh Holloway and Sarah Michelle Gellar and do a remake of the series Hart To Hart (as CBS did with Hawaii Five-0). With a good writing/directing/producing team it could very well work for many years!

If you want people to love your show, you have to love your show yourself; not just think that because you have a good idea that you can get away with inconsistency and cheap writing. Intelligence should not have been canceled but I guess the show-runners didn't love their show enough...
Flag
So, they cancel The Crazy Ones for two spinoffs and a remake nobody asked for? That's CBS for you!
Flag
I will definitely miss Meghan Ory. Hope she gets another show.
Flag
Hope she comes back on once upon a time
Flag
I hope she would appear more often in OUAT next season.
Flag
I will miss Intelligence. The Mentalist has improved since moving the plot to the FBI.
Flag
by the way it just occured to me the mentalist did the will they or won't they with Rigsby & Van Pelt. so it's not like it's anything new that they haven't done.

Flag
actually i like the Lisbon and Jane story but to each their own. they haven't done that on Criminal Minds the will they or won't they thing. at least not that i'm aware of or remember. or Elementary either. that's all i can think of for now.
Flag
I liked FWBL. I wanted to like Bad Teacher but it was not very good. Not too upset about the cancellation of both since they are sitcoms. I was really pissed about the cancellation of Crisis but looks like we are at least able to see the rest of it. I gave up on Intelligence after 7 episodes. I got bored with it and just got a feeling it was going to get cancelled.
Flag
And The Mentalist feels the breeze from the executioner's axe swinging just past the back of his neck.

The only other surprise here is a mild one, The Crazy Ones was on the fence in my mind and while it was expensive and the star power wasn't drawing in the audience itself, the show itself had ironed out a lot of the early problems and was finally looking promising.
Flag
Glad they kept The Mentalist for 1 more season, but I'm pissed about The Crazy Ones being cancelled!!! Much better than that crapfest The Millers!!!
Flag
I think even Patrick Jane would like to retire after the RJ debacle and the way the new sycophant Scooby gang of whatever he sais goes cause he's so quirkily correct. Even Hank's Californication writing colleagues could do better for next season.
Flag
I'm down for more Mentalist, but only if they toss this Lisbon/Jane story. Must every male/female couple on television eventually get together?
Flag
I think they thought it was the end and she was the only woman since his wife he would open up to. I would like to see where they go, for him its going to be tough I think because he obviously still has very deep feelings for his family.
Flag
I know... Its so prosaic. Also so improbable. I suppose most couples do meet at work but I really thought that these 2 just had a good working relationship...why they have to sully it with romance I have no idea. Makes me yawn. At the same time I would like to see the Patrick Jane character a bit happy but Ihate it when everything gets tied up with a neat little bow.
Flag
Agree, i'm tired of friendship not being good enough and it always ends up in a romantic relationship instead of friends. True friendship is a beautiful thing all the same and you can have deep connections and all of that without the sexual stuff in being close friends.
Flag
I LOVE the mentalist but the next season needs to be the last. I watched half of Intelligence's pilot and I was done. The problem with Bad teacher was how they ended each episode with her actually being good.
Flag
The Mentalist was born again after the Red John saga, the last season was better than most of the last seasons of Red John. To me it was no brainer that it had to be renewed.
Flag
Great call on renewing The Mentalist. In my opinion, the "Red John" episodes were the least interesting episodes of the series, and seemed to be more of crutch for lazy writers than anything else.
Flag
Intelligence was not a very intelligent show and I stopped watching after just a few episodes. Mentalist I like. The rest, nah.
Flag
I would have missed the Mentalist had it not been renewed. I think there's still some story left in the show. It would be a good one for Friday nights since it's got a steady following and the Sunday 10pm slot could be used for another show, maybe one of the NCIS shows. But with all that CBS kept and picked up, I have to wonder how they're going to find space for it all.

I'm not surprised at Intelligence getting cancelled. It never had the ratings for a first year CBS show to survive.

And like the last Indy movie, The Crazy Ones came ten years to late for the lead. Robin Williams just isn't a cutting edge comic anymore.
Flag
Wait, wasn't Hostages ment to be a mini series?
Flag
I liked Intelligence and was looking forward to season 2.
Flag
Yeah, me too!
Flag
hip hip hurra for the mentalist!!!!!!!
Flag
I could watch another season. After Red John, the new cast members have brought some fresh air to the series; in relation with the cast, some old members should be out or already are: Rigsby and Van Pelt.
Flag
Glad the Mentalist got renewed, I have always enjoyed the non Red John related episode, I mean come on they wrote the guy like he was a kind of God! Villains like that just piss me off.
I am pissed of about the cancellation Intelligence, Crazy ones, Hostages and FWBL, don't care so much for Bad Teacher.
Flag
stopped watching the mentalist a few years ago, this shows recipe just got too boring to watch and the thought of Lisbon and Jane together just makes me wanna barf - why do shows feel the need to do this ???

bad teacher is rubbish

NCIS spinoff with Scott Bakula - might give that a look see

CSI Cyber - curios to see how that one will go, the back door pilot was mediocre

Flag
But Meghan Ory was better at being an agent. So, I hope to see her more in OUAT now. I will badly miss Intelligence.
Flag
As someone who watched JAG, and currently watches both NCIS's, I'd rather have seen a flyer on Intelligence, than another NCIS.

I tried Crazy Ones, but left after 4 episodes. Robin Williams does one character... himself.
Flag
Was just getting into Intelligence. Damn.
Few losses though this year.
Just that and Community. Bummer.
Flag

Well, this is way i stop watching network channels successful along time ago... Because they always pull their act with cancellations anytime get close into a series...

With Sitcoms Tv,
I always find the ones have a great cast and great chemistry bring it to it's hit run...

And also, It seems like when they create characters into a sitcom series, end with a Y and end non with a Y as couple names appears to be a luck charm...

With Drama Tv,
Well, it appears my interest isn't with Supernatural/Horror and Superhero/Action at all... And, i happen to find Science Fiction/Sci-Fi, Detective/Crime and Mystery whole alot better terms on interest...

And also, it seems like when they create characters into a Drama, have 3 way partner deal relationship appears to be a luck charm...

Okay, When i mean by 3 way partner deal relationship here....
I don't mean as an Love Triangle or Threesome really... I mean when they have the Male Lead and Female Lead characters as Friendship Partners-(1), Field Partners-(2) and later Love Partners-(3)...

Flag
Bad Teacher should've stayed a movie. None of the characters on the show matched the levels Cameron Diaz and co. reached in terms of comedy in the movie... and even then I give the movie a 7 out of 10.

INCREDIBLY disappointed that "The Crazy Ones" was canceled, but honestly I kind of called it. The episodes were hit or miss, and my favorite eps involved a more restrained Robin Williams... which was rare. The writers seem to love him just going for broke and mugging incessantly, which annoyed me a lot. But his chemistry with Sarah Michelle Gellar was perfect and it could've been a lot better if we had more father/daughter talks instead of Williams acting like an idiot for much of each episode.

Mentalist getting renewed did come as a big shock, especially since SO MUCH TIME was spent on the Red John story and it hasn't been the same now that Jane finally killed him. Will the series be more procedural or will we get a new Big Bad? And why do I care? In my eyes the series ended the moment Patrick left Red John's body.
Flag
Yay!!!!! I am happy that The Mentalist got renewed!! The non-Red John episodes are just as good as the RJ ones. It really reminds me of Sherlock, which I adore so much. I can't comment on the other shows as I never watched them.
Flag
Thank God they renewed the Mentalist, i can't stand another lost such Revolution, also i can't believe they cancelled FWBL, it is really good funny show, i can't say i'll miss the other show specially the Bad Teacher which was very bad and The Crazy One was really crazy show..... Intelligence, the network should give it another chance so sad, i was looking forward for new season.....
Flag
Well i thought they were going to wrap up The Mentalist... but what do you know! It's a "fast food" kind of show but I have to admit that I can't resist Simon Baker's goofy smile...
Flag
Friends With Better Lives is the funniest show on TV. What's wrong with them. Who the hell care about The Mentalist. The Crazy Ones is also pretty good. Sad day after losing Believe & Crisis. Shame on NBC & now CBS
Flag
"Who the hell care about The Mentalist". I care. Slow down, pal. I care, same way you care for your favorites. Again, slow down.
Flag
I am bummed about Intelligence! All others meh. The metalist has had its day I think. Not really fussed either way.
Flag
Atleast we can see meghan ory on once upon a time
Flag
I was expecting for a new season. Oh the heartbreak.
Flag
Am bumped about Intelligence and The Crazy Ones - the sophomore seasons would have been even better for sure.
Am glad The Mentalist has at least half a season to get a proper farewell.
The NCIS: NO "Crescent City" 2-part intro was so boring, as were the uninteresting characters (especially the tech guy) and the awful Southern accents of Scott Bakula (much as I enjoyed his work on Quantum Leap & Enterprise) and CCH Pounder. I hope they re-jig the cast a bit when they do the full series.
Another CSI spin-off? Yawn...
Flag
Well, I hope SMG/P soon gets another job.

The Crazy Ones was pretty much a delightful version of Mad Men. The only annoying thing about it was not only the idea of Sydney-Andrew but also how it was handled.

It doesn't seem to make sense that this show was cancelled. It's ratings were comparable to Two and a Half Men and they weren't paying the stars 8-figure salaries.
Flag
The thing I liked about Intelligence was John Billingsley's character and his character's son, two scientists working together at a cyber intelligence agency (or whatever) and the ideology clashes that ensued. Unfortunately the show wasn't centered around them, it was centered around the inane and boring Holloway character and his terrible lady bodyguard with whom he had zero chemistry. I like both Holloway and the actress who plays Ruby but those characters were dead flat. I feel like Intelligence was a missed opportunity, and hope John Billingsley pops up somewhere again soon.
Flag
Yea, better if meghan comes back to once upon a time
Flag
I know I am about to just reiterate what other people have said but how am I supposed to get excited about new shows when they keep canceling shows that I watch now? I mean am I just watching garbage shows and not realizing it? Right now about five of the shows that I have been watching are canceled, some not even finishing the season out.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members