A The Mentalist Community
CBS (ended 2015)
With "White Lines" we are three episodes into the post Red John era on The Mentalist. Just to recap Jane, Lisbon and Cho are now members of the FBI office based in Austin, Texas. The senior agent is Dennis Abbott (Rockmond Dunbar) and the team is filled out by agent Kim Fischer (Emily Swallow) and technician Jason (Coyote) Wylie (Joe Adler).

This week's episode starts off with an interesting interaction between Jane and Fischer. Fischer officially welcomes Jane to the team and offers him a desk to work at. Jane tells Fischer he doesn't work at a desk but prefers a couch. Fischer says he can't have a "sofa", only senior personnel get those. Jane says he prefers a "couch" because your mind is more open to clarity when you are lying down. Jane states that this is why psychiatrists have you lie down and asks Fischer if she has ever seen a shrink. She originally denies that she has but Jane knows she is not telling the truth. They are then interrupted by an agent who tells them that are heading to Corpus Christi where five DEA agents have been murdered in their office.

When the team reaches Corpus Christi they head to the crime scene. In addition to the bullets in the bodies, there are bullets in a wall clock and a lamp. it turns out these objects were concealing security cameras and the killers knew where they were. Jane then spots a mirror that is hung very high on the wall and is redundant. They remove the mirror and find a third camera. Fischer and Jane then sit down with a surviving DEA agent who tells he believes the crime to be the work of an unidentified crime boss referred to as Mr. X. He has two or three candidates but Jane is most interested in a beautiful blonde woman on the arm of one of the suspects.

The woman's name is Krystal Markham and is portrayed by veteran character actress Brianna Brown. I have seen Ms. Brown in several roles including a chilling performance as a black widow call girl on Criminal Minds. Now my best friend's father has been watching procedural dramas for several years. His rule is, "Do you recognize the actor or actress?" If yes, they are the perpetrator. Does that ruin the fun? Not always. Utilizing this logic, I was certain Ms. Markham was the ringleader. She is able to fly under the radar because her competition underestimate her and law enforcement discount her out of hand. She is also ruthless as she eliminates her competition coldly and without remorse. So, this is the perfect scenario for Jane as he can use his skills of manipulation and control to get close to Krystal.

Now this plan of attack almost proves deadly for Jane. While the rest of the team are running around town chasing dead ends, Jane is going on dates and wooing Ms. Markham. They finally end up on a yacht in the harbor drinking wine. Ms. Markham remembers to bring her gun to execute her part of the plan. While Patrick and Krystal are enjoying the evening, Lisbon calls because the rest of the team has figured out that Krystal is the ringleader as well. In a slight of hand trick. Jane appears to ignore Lisbon's call but actually takes the call and leaves it on speakerphone. This way the aerial unit of the FBI are able to locate the yacht but not before Jane has to dive overboard and swim to safety.

White Lines was not a stellar episode but was watchable. I think the fact that the perpetrator was fairly obvious made it less enjoyable than it could have been. I think The Mentalist 2.0 is still finding its footing. What did you think of White Lines?

Additional notes:

- Does Emily Swallow not remind you a little bit of Amanda Rhigetti? In one scene at the chop shop, when she got out of the Denali, I did a double take. She's not as striking but her physical build is very similar.

- Is there going to be competition between Fischer and Lisbon for Jane's affection? Their mutual eye roll when he took Krystal's call was hilarious. Lisbon, "She's not his type!" Fischer, "What is his type?" Lisbon, "I don't know."

- Fischer and Lisbon becoming besties?

- Can't see White Lines without thinking about the 1983 song by Melle Mel and Grandmaster Flash about the dangers of cocaine addiction.

poll
33 Comments
Comments (33)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Mar 17, 2014
Jane is the most interesting person on tv. And adorable too!
Flag
Jan 18, 2014
I am glad to say the show is back to the right track..... Finally the team will back together again.... I can't wait to see what will happen at this season.... Amazing episode.....
Flag
Jan 09, 2014
When is Rigsby and VanPelt coming back!!!
Flag
Jan 09, 2014
The scuttlebutt on the web is that they will make an appearance in this week's episode "The Golden Hammer". However, the rumors are that Season 6 will be their last.
Flag
Jan 11, 2014
Noooo, mentalist is incomplete wiyhout them!!!
Flag
Jan 07, 2014
I am enjoying the shift so far. I do wonder what will become of Jane's relationship with Lisbon and how long Abbot will wait for Jane to produce more names on the Blake Association list...I am liking how Jane is not all depressed but I do hope that they can find a storyline that goes beyond the case of the week sort of thing.
Flag
Jan 07, 2014
I started watching The mentalist because it was not the usual procedural type of show. Now with no more Red John, Rigsby and Van Pelt, it's almost like a new show. I thought the step up to the FBI would heat things up. I hope that will still be the case.
Flag
Jan 07, 2014
I liked the episode. Jane is still rockin'.
Flag
Jan 07, 2014
It was a boring episode IMO.Too much attention was put on the villain and she wasn't entertaining enough.
Flag
Jan 07, 2014
I don't disagree with you. IMHO, for The Mentalist 2.0 to succeed, it has to be Jane, Lisbon, Cho and Fischer out kicking butt and taking down bad guys. I thought with the move to a federal agency that the bad guys would get bigger and badder. That hasn't happened yet. If it continues in its current vein, we may not have to worry much longer.
Flag
Jan 07, 2014
>>>>- Does Emily Swallow not remind you a little bit of Amanda Rhigetti? In
>>>>one scene at the chop shop, when she got out of the Denali, I did a
>>>>>double take. She's not as striking but her physical build is very similar.

Exactly. Even I had to see that scene again as I was caught unguarded. Maybe not so much in other scenes, but the scene where she gets out of the SUV, there was definite resemblance
Flag
Jan 07, 2014
The physical resemblance, the auburn hair, the hair tied back in a ponytail. Thank you for reassuring me I wasn't hallucinating.
Flag
Jan 07, 2014
Not sure where they're going to go with the show now. Perhaps the series is unlikely to last without another "big bad"? Maybe, I don't know. I'm not real sure it can yet, much footing to be found ...
Flag
Jan 07, 2014
This is the situation with a few of my favourite shows on the air right now. Maybe a television series has a natural "shelf life". I know the producers of Fringe took it off the air because they felt continuing might do more damage than good. It's hard to think a show you love may be coming to an end.
Flag
Jan 07, 2014
I think the dive into the water, as opposed to trying to disarm the woman on the boat, was Classic Patrick Jane, hilarious, and apparently went unappreciated. Sadness. =(
Flag
Jan 07, 2014
To quote the great "Dirty" Harry Callahan, "A man has got to know his limitations." Jane cut that one a little bit close for my liking. Nice form though. I give it a 9.5.
Flag
Jan 06, 2014
This is how you should do it! Absolute great new ideas - stories - season! My deep respect to the screenwriters! Great job! And great acting! Thank you!
this will be the best season ever.
Flag
Jan 06, 2014
Emily Swallow is no Amanda Rhigetti
Flag
Feb 07, 2014
no even close to amanda righetti, i miss the 5 main characters
Flag
Jan 07, 2014
I wasn't trying to imply that.
Flag
Jan 06, 2014
I am not sure up to this moment if I like the change to the FBI. For one, I miss the beautiful Californian landscapes. The new team probably needs some time to shape up.

I didn't know the actress, but it was clear from the first moment she was the one. While watching I was asking myself if it did any harm and I tried to get the usual fun out of watching Patrick playing with her and the reactions of the other ones not knowing (yet).

I didn't get those Rhigetti vibes, but after I watched it again I see what you mean. For me she still is a completely different character and a possible likeliness of Van Pelt will not change that.

There were some obvious scenes that needed to get us scared or emotional (like the one where Krystal puts a gun in her bag when she went to the ship, but we saw before that she had a gun in her bag anyway because she used it for Perez), but they didn't work for me as they were to obvious.

It feels strange, as if it were a new series that still has to invent itself instead of having an experienced Mentalist crew.
More+
Flag
Jan 08, 2014
Um, I really hate to ruin the magic but you realize you're still seeing those "beautiful California landscapes", right? The show has always been filmed in the greater LA area, and it still is. They've never been in NorCal, even though you got some CGI added Sacramento skyline/river backgrounds occasionally. And they're not shooting in Texas now. But of course you knew that, RIGHT???
Flag
Jan 08, 2014
Yeah, I thought so, but for a show that plays in California they can pick the beautiful Californian landscapes I love and for the show now they have to pick other ones that are more like Texas. So i still miss the beautiful Californian landscapes (with the accent on beautiful :-)),
Flag
Jan 06, 2014
Thanks for your comment. My favourite Mentalist episodes are when Jane and Lisbon are working together. The fact that Jane was flying solo in this episode left me wanting.

I agree that it's weird that they're not in Cali anymore. Like you said, we'll have to wait and see how it tuns out.

Brianna Brown is a go-to actress on American TV if you want the damaged vixen type. She plays it very well.
Flag
Jan 06, 2014
I have to agree with you overall. Maybe it was just my personal expectation but I would have hoped for a slightly better episode. Maybe that was just the withdrawl from the christmas-hiatus.

And I TOTALLY saw van Pelt in the scene that you described - I remeber because it really irritated me for a moment because she officially exited the show and that had me confused.

I did not recognize the actress so for me it was not that clear. But the fact that Jane's interest immediatly focused on her, to me that was indicative towards her beeing the "bad guy". Also I thought him picking her out just from the photo was a bit far of a leap. Maybe these other guys had girlfriends too, that just weren't in the pictures?
To me, suspecting her early on sort of did take some of the mystery out of the episode. But I still enjoyed it.

What was especially great where those light and whitty moments between Jane and the "two gals" in his new life. I don't think there will be a competition. I think Jane respects Lisbon and knows he can depend on her. Kim makes him more curious, thats why he basically interrogated her at the beginning of the ep.
With the eye-roll, I think Lisbons expression was more annoyed at Jane for beeing inappropriate in the situation (3 corpses) and Kim's was more for Jane going out with an other woman. Because I think that SHE is really interested in him.

And I do hope the M2.0 episodes get back up to the level of old.
More+
Flag
Jan 06, 2014
like i said, it was spooky. When Emily swallow got out of the SUV, I swore I saw Amanda Rhigetti. Weird.

Jane in a "threesome". You saw them building the foundation for that as well.
Flag
Feb 07, 2014
don`t like PJ personality in this new mentalist show: more egotistic, arrogant, selfcentered. PJ and Lisbon, PJ chatting with Cho, Pj with Kim. Where is that Pj from previous episodes?
Flag
Follow this Show
Members