A The Mentalist Community
CBS (ended 2015)
Red John suspects:
- Bret Stiles: is probably an old friend, but definitely not RJ or one of his cult(minions).
- Reede Smith: i don't think he is connected to red john(but there is no hard evidence that he is not RJ or that he isn't connected to RJ).
- Bob Kirkland: I don't think he is red john(in one of the episodes he killed a man who knows who RJ is, Heller wouldn't chose RJ to be that obvious) but RJ's right hand man.
- Sheriff Thomas McAllister: i don't think that he related to RJ at all, he only appeared in the first episode and he wasn't that special(but who knows, there is no evidence that he isn't RJ, but if he was it will really be a bad decision from the creator)
- Brett Partridge: i don't think he is red john but maybe a one of his minions, and Bruno Heller stats in an interview that red john isn't a basement kind of serial killer(which Brett seems to be, as remarked by Jane in S01E01) and he also doesn't seem to have the money red john seems to have, he also isn't that high in the society or work as Red John seems to be, and he doesn't have the "looks", because RJ isn't just a serial killer he is a cult leader, so how he looks is important
- Gale Bertram: i just don't think he is red john, for a lot of tiny details that don't add up, but i think Jane is gonna suspect him for a good while.
- Raymond Haffner: He fits all the criteria so far, he is a high ranking member of the CBI,a Visualize member, and after the evidence from "The Red Barn" it seems possible he was at the farm in 1988 when one of the first Red John smiley faces was drawn. He fits the age, description, seems to have money, and mental intelligence, he is also interested in Lisbon and tries to befriend her (if he was red john that is probably what he would do), and most of all he is called ray, and we know that red john nickname is Roy !!
f we were to trust that these characters were the same age as the actors that will mean:

Sheriff Thomas McAllister, Gale Bertram and Bret Stiles can't be RJ because RJ was a teenager during 1988 in the red barn, and if Reede Smith is the same age as the actor that plays him then can't be RJ because he is too young to be in the red barn.

that means that Red John is definitely one of the remaining three :
  1. Ray Haffner(That's who i believe is RJ)
  2. Bob Krikland(That's who i think is RJ right hand man, or at least connected to him some how)
  3. Brett Partridge(He may be one of RJ minions)
  4. Reede Smith(even though the actor that plays him is young, he doesn't seem young in the show)
- None of the above (His father, someone else): I don't think that he is none of the above because if he wasn't I think he would probably mocked Jane about it in the video at the end (also he said, that because of what Lorelei said to Jane(as if Jane cheated when Lorelei told him that information), the game rules is going to change, so if what she said was wrong he wouldn't really bother), and it isn't Jane's father because he was a fraud and didn't have a problem with it, unlike red john who seems to be a man of honor in a way (S01E01, the note he leave's to Jane about killing his family) but I think that his father may be one of red john's minions, and Heller said the RJ is in that list and one of the 7 names and that there is no more tricks or games just the chase. - JANE HIMSELF!!: that''s not possible for a thousand reason:
1- he isn't a Visualize member
2- he doesn't have the time(he was awake for a whole weak during the finale episode, so he couldn't have killed RJ's last victim)
3- he can't possibly handshake himself
4- Lorelei wouldn't lie to him (about handshaking RJ) and in the same time plan to kill his alter ego "RJ" for killing her sister
5- Bruno Heller said that RJ is in the list and Patrick Jane isn't.
6- 7- 8- 9- (i am just tired of writing)
- All of the seven names or more than one of them! : that's not impossible per se, and it would actually make a great twist if RJ isn't a single person but a group of people pretending to be one person, but still i don't think that and don't want to think that this is what will happen actually.
And about how RJ knew about Jane's "Happy Memory" that RJ stole the finale episode, i think at some point red john hypnotized Jane(He was alone with him for some time in one of the episodes) into telling him god knows what, Or Jane's father Alex maybe one of RJ's minions or at least his related to him somehow and he spoke with RJ about that "Happy Moment" in Jane's life.
but what is really wired how did he know the list, there is a few explanation:
1- he is watching him all the time or making someone watch him and he deducted the 7 names from what he learned
2- the video is edited and is made/edited after Bob Kirkland(who is related or is RJ) saw what Jane was working on in his secret hideout, and deducted the names from what he gathered and edited the video that he made of Lorelei and put the names in it
3- something else (But certainly Not PSYCHIC related)
(Note: this article is subject to change (cleaning up, adding more information) but if i do any major change i will mention it)

poll
59 Comments
Comments (51)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Nov 24, 2013
Another thing I've noticed... If we assume that red john is gale Bertram, why would he bug Cho's desk by a private investigator( the girl who was killed leaving the leverage for jane... 3 dots on left arm) when he always can access the desks and bug them himself... In addition, I think the twin brother of bob kirkland (micheal) was the one who reed smith shot 6 times in the back and Kirkland is still alive helping jane for a bigger plan to catch red john. For what happened in jane's house (the explosion) I think that all of the action was put in place by jane and kirkland and only stiles and haffner are connected to red john (or brett partridge) helping him in many crimes. the other 3 suspects ( smith, bertram and mcallister) are working from the beginning with jane to deceive red john (partridge). My last thought was confirmed by the usb flash drive left for rigsby cho and van palt containing a list... I personally think that the list contains coded names of members with the" tiger tiger" association.(so the 3 suspects are maybe spies in the Blake association).
thank you for reading
Flag
Nov 24, 2013
Whoever RJ is, do you think he will die in the Next episode? My vote is on Ray/Brett also...
Flag
Nov 24, 2013
all I want to do is watch the show
Flag
Nov 23, 2013
Actually the more I think about it the more it makes sense. My money is on Robert Kirkland's twin brother, like why would the writers even put it in there considering they killed him off in the same episode it was revealed that Kirkland has a twin what would the purpose be if he wasn't RED JOHN!.
Flag
Nov 23, 2013
Well this theory is pretty crazy but Imagine if all 7 on the list at some stage was Red John! Red John could just be a concept, a name the Blake organization uses to cause fear and of course cover for their killings. Anyway I'm just going to enjoy this coming episode knowing that whoever it turns out to be there will be plot holes, the history/timeline of RJ is just so convoluted after 6 seasons that it would be impossible for the writers to back track and trace it all back to the one man. Partridge/Haffner are my 2 top picks, with Mcallister closely behind only because he seems a bit too old to be RJ. Another "out there" theory I've read somewhere is that it could be Kirkland's twin brother anyway can't wait!
Flag
Nov 23, 2013
I still think that RJ is Raymond Haffner
Flag
Nov 26, 2013
Me too!! Ray Haffner definitely makes the best Red John.
Flag
Nov 22, 2013
The voice from the promo saying "The game is over and I won" sounds like Willie Garson from White Collar. Let's hope we won't get pissed and find out that Red John is not even on the list...
Flag
Nov 18, 2013
I though it was from the list, but now I think only the members are on the list, and Red John might be Sam Bosco ( he might also be member of the team) !!!! just a taught
Flag
Nov 18, 2013
Okay, episode 3:7 reveals McAllister is one of the confirmed dead in the bomb blast. This leave Bertram as Red John.
Flag
Nov 14, 2013
Okay, just noticed from episode 6:3 that Sheriff McAllister also wears black pointed-toe cowboy boots, so now I'd have to say RJ could be either him or Bertram.
Flag
Nov 13, 2013
The only other explanation re: black cowboy boots is that Red John doesn't do the killings himself, but has other brainwashed members like Bertram do the killing for him/her.
Flag
Nov 13, 2013
Visualize has its tentacles everywhere...in high places.
Flag
Nov 13, 2013
So we know that Red John controls the heads of CBI, FBI and DHS.
Flag
Nov 13, 2013
Yeah you are right, maybe he's Obama!?
Flag
Nov 13, 2013
none of the above. I think one guy on the list is in cahoots with RJ. We know that RJ knows about the list. It seems to be an elaborate ruse by RJ. my guess is on *ominous fanfare - bum bum buuuum - drumroll* possible spoilers from here on out - highlight if you are curious, you were warned!: Walter Mashburn. It makes perfect sense. He has the money/wealth and the influence; plus he boinked Lisbon; what else would be the perfect way to get close to the police and then kidnapping her ? And sure, he might not be on the cast list (yet) but I think he will be added after the eponymous episode. Since the other episodes also have names of colour, I am asking myself this: Will Jane fight someone else from the colour spectrum ? Green Jim and Blue Paul (the next two episodes have said colours in the title) ? How about Mauve Ross ? Or Silver Pete ?

More+
Flag
Nov 13, 2013
But Heller(the show creator) said that RJ is on the list, more than once, so it's hard to believe he would lie like this and make RJ someone who isn't one of the seven names
Flag
Nov 13, 2013
he did say that. But especially when it comes to build up suspense producers, creators and directors tend to lie or simply tell a part of the truth. 2 days ago a website gave away that very name billed as said character/Red John. Since yesterday evening this entry has been removed. The website is usually right about that stuff, and just remove things when they would spoil too much when the network/producer/creator asks them to keep mum about it.
Flag
Nov 12, 2013
My vote goes to Haffner, but I am afraid it seems a bit obvious choice now...
Now that I think about it, do you think that there is a chance they will not kill off RJ in this season?
Killing RJ do you think PJ would stay with CBI? How will they solve this?
Flag
Nov 11, 2013
Episode 4:13 shows the cowboy boots on Red John again
Flag
Nov 10, 2013
I'm still waiting for partridge to show up. Faking his death is more probably what happened... :) It will be the perfect surprise for most who didn't expect it.
Flag
Nov 10, 2013
In episode 2:23 Red John is wearing black pointed cowboy boots. In episode 3:16 CBI Director (Gale) is wearing those same boots. No one else wears those boots. Sorry for the spoiler.
Flag
Nov 05, 2013
Red John is more then one person
Flag
Oct 27, 2013
It's Sheriff McAllister. In Season 6, Ep. 3, when Lisbon goes to the house where Red John attacks her, a scene shows a lot of pigeons being kept in cages (and possibly being tortured/killed). At the very end of Season 6, Ep 3, McAllister is getting down the stairs after saving Jane. Some pigeons fly into him and he get really scared/distressed and says that he hates those stupid birds. How did anyone not notice that?!

He knows that Jane would uncover the fake persona that he had created (someone with a fear of heights) while visiting the psychiatrist. So he plays along, making it seem like he has a fear of heights - only to reveal that he doesn't. That way, he gets off Jane's suspect list, which is what he wants.
Flag
Oct 26, 2013
Patrick himself, Patrick's father or some one else. And no one from list even producers say so - maybe a red john servants but nothing more in list.
Flag
Oct 28, 2013
Well according to Bruno Heller, he is definitely on the list and that there is no more games "just the chase", so RJ being not on the list is highly unlikely if not impossible.
Also he have previously said that Jane isn't RJ, so here's that too
Flag
Oct 19, 2013
I just saw the episode where Jane first comes to the CBI and then the one where he comes and meets Lisbon and he and Jane shake hands and I was like THATS TOTALLY RED JOHN. Now I don't think it would be so obvious, but he's involved somehow!
Flag
Oct 17, 2013
I still think that Brett Partridge is red john. After all he still can fake his death with the help of a friend on the crime scene so that Jane will remove him from the suspect list.
Flag
Oct 14, 2013
if it isnt ray then it is more than one of them!
Flag
Oct 13, 2013
It would be nice if Van Pelt turns out to be Red John.. She has acces to CBI information, is always arguing with Jane about the afterlife en psychics, hacking skills that RJ also has and most of all: She has RED hair ;)
Flag
Oct 11, 2013
Red John is Ray Hafner........, Why? Because he whistled "Jimmy Crack Corn" on the way out after visiting Lisbon.
Flag
Sep 29, 2013
I personally think that red john is Brett partridge.
First of all, this person was present in the biggest number of Red john crime scenes. Then what can we say about his personality... he's perfect. He's a little bit crazy, and seems to be very excited and confident when analyzing the red john work but trying always to make it look the opposite.
By this I mean for example in s01e01 when it wasn't red john he was certain that this case was related to this serial killer. We can note also this in s05e22 when he was certain that it wasn't red john but in the end it was. By these action Brett was trying in a way to make sure that he wasn't a suspect.
Despite all of this, everyone should have noticed the voice of the masked red john in the end of s02e23 that seems very close to Bretts' voice without mentioning the height that is very close to partridges' height and I can continue with many clues... I agree also with Abo saying that Bob Krikland is one of the minions... Ray Haffner doesn't seems to be Red john but maybe a minion also. For Gale Bertram and Bret Stiles, these persons are definitely two of these powerful friends of red john that Jane always talk about. For Reede Smith and Sheriff Thomas McAllister, I don't have any clues to share but I really don't think they are related anyhow to red john.
More+
Flag
Sep 29, 2013
I also think Red John will kill Rigsby and Van Pelt, since they are leaving the show. I at least hope he does because that would be a perfect way for them to go and for the show.
Flag
Sep 29, 2013
Brett Partridge. He's perfect.
Flag
Sep 29, 2013
I suppose each one of them will have a chance to be Red John this season and they will start being discarded (even dead) as the season progresses until we get to the two or three most suspicious and get a result. It can be any of them, since it is a tv show and they can write up the needed stuff to make it as they want. I am not so worried about who he is, I am happy to know that the mystery will be over probably this season... I am more worried about Red John having spychic powers! I hope the will not go that way!
Flag
Sep 23, 2013
Have to say: after all this time, I don't really care... Just find him/ her, already!
Flag
Sep 12, 2013
Red John is No. 8...., not on the list.
Flag
Aug 30, 2013
I used to think it was the coroner technician with the death tattoo on his forearm that closed the coroner van in the opening scene of the pilot.

Flag
Aug 30, 2013
Virgil Minelli is Red John
Flag
Aug 16, 2013
i bet rj is walter mashburn :)
Flag
Jul 28, 2013
I think Red John is not one person, Red John is more than one criminal, they are group of people acting as one criminal, maybe Red John a mentor to this group, like The Following...
Flag
Jul 26, 2013
I'm Red John :) Now seriously, I think the whole list is just another red herring and Red John is someone no one suspect.
Flag
Jul 27, 2013
Well according to Bruno Heller, he is definitely one of them and that there is no more games "just the chase", so RJ being not on the list is highly unlikely if not impossible.
Flag
Jul 26, 2013
All the names on the list are somewhat suspicious in their own way, and with each suspect, the writers make them suspicious, and they also add some scenes why each name would be impossible to be Red John. So probably it could be everyone and nobody on the list.

I suspected Gale Bertram & Bret Stiles for a long time..

Gale Bertram because of the Tyger Tyger poem, high function in CBS, something in the episode with the 4 room-trap (don't remember what though), and some other elements.. (but in Fringe he was also the mole, and I suspected him from the 1st or 2nd episode he was in, so this would be lame)
The scenes that he sucked at playing poker, can be an element to throw us viewers of our game, because if he would be an amazing pokerplayer from the start, that would be so suspicous..

Bret Stiles, I wanted it to be him for a long time, imo he just seemed perfect as the leader of a cult, he is very smart, has a lot of power, good in manipulating people, has a connection with Patrick Jane, .. But then when he helped to find Kristina Frye and to break out Lorelei, I didn't want it to be him anymore. But like you said, he's probably a good friend or something..

I don't think it's Reede Smith, he seems stupid and too fat to be one of the greatest serial killers.. The only suspicious fact is his name.. Anagram for "Theme is Red" & "The Red is Me" but this seems quite farfetched..

And I also don't think it's Sheriff McAllister, but he is set to return in Season 6 so they will probably make him more suspicious..

Kirkland is a creepy guy, but he just doesn't strike me as Red John, sure Bruno Heller did his best to make him very very suspicious, but we know how he likes to mislead and throw red herrings everywhere.. Like you said, his right hand man would be a good guess.

That leaves us with Haffner and Partridge..

They always made Partridge very suspicious with his behaviour towards Jane, his creepy voice and some different clues troughout all seasons.. But the fact that he dislikes and lacks some respect towards Patrick, and that he seems to be very imcompetent in seeing the difference between real Red John crime-scenes and fake ones is a big clue that he probably isn't Red John. Or the character is a great actor too..

I agree with everything you said about Haffner, they sure made him the most likable suspect. But that is just the reason why I wouldn't like it to be him..

More+
Flag
Jul 27, 2013
I agree with most of what you said if not all
Bret Stiles, Bertram and the Sheriff are too old to be a teenager during the events of the "Red Barn" so it's probably not one of them, and between the last four, Krikland and Haffner are the ones that would look like a cult leader, they both hold high titles, they both seem to have money, the both seem fit to be a serial killer, but for the reasons that i mentioned in the article i think Haffner is the most likely one,
The whole list isn't that satisfying i would say, but maybe that what it should be, RJ isn't going to be squeaky clean and innocent and he won't be too suspicious, so the list is either really smart, or really lame, depends on what Bruno had in his mind while making it.
Flag
Jul 28, 2013
Yeah I agree that the list isn't that very satisfying at the moment. At the time of last season's finale I was very eager to find out the names, but at the same time I was also very dissapointed.. But I guess we'll have a better idea at the end of next season, whether the list was really smart or really lame..
Flag
Jul 26, 2013
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Jul 26, 2013
I'm torn about the list. On one hand it was such a relief that the number of possible suspects was narrowed down. It clarified the plot and gave it direction. Finally I know that Jane is pursuing something concrete instead of just fumbling in the dark. But at the same time I'm not entirely happy about the names themselves. Either they are too obvious, like Stiles or Kirkland, or they are too far fetched. As much as I like Xander Berkeley as an actor - he would admittedly make a great serial killer - we have seen Sheriff Thomas McAllister only in one episode in season one. If he turns out to be Red John in a sudden reveal at the end of the show, it will fall a little flat. I would like Red John to be a person who spends time around Jane.

As much as I like knowing these seven names, it has also taken away a bit of the mystery. Despite what Heller has said, I kind of hope Red John is not on the list. Didn't Heller lie about Timothy Carter (Bradley Whitford) being Red John, too?
Flag
Jul 27, 2013
The whole list isn't that satisfying i agree with you, but maybe that what it should be, RJ isn't going to be squeaky clean and innocent and he won't be too suspicious, so the list is either really smart, or really lame, depends on what Bruno had in his mind while making it,
And i don't remember if Heller lied previously, but i highly doubt that he would lie after all the assurances he made that RJ is one of the 7 names.
Flag
Jul 26, 2013
Okay, clearly there is a problem,
- The editor in The Mentalist community is not like the editor in the rest of the communities, it seems to be the one used by the editors(i can edit HTML and other things)
- There is no styling for the mentalist community
Flag
Staff
Jul 26, 2013
Great catch! There was a brief bug there, but we've fixed it. Everything should be back to normal now.
Flag
Jul 27, 2013
Yeah i also encountered a weird bug during that same time, the "notification" feature didn't work, even when someone reply to a comment or a post of mine, even past notifications disappeared, when i opened the notifications page i only saw three notifications from June, and also all the likes that i did to people's comments, and the likes people did to my comments disappeared,
But then after a few hours, every thing became normal again(Thanks to you i guess :)),
But i don't mind bugs, because they come with new features, and they leave quickly while the features last forever for us to enjoy.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members