We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

The Mentalist Forums

CBS (ended 2015)

1x07 Seeing Red

WhiteKnightonTV

[1]Nov 15, 2008
    • level: 60
    Seeing Red
    Episode #7
    Original air date: November 18, 2008

From CBS.com:
    "The team investigates a hit-and-run murder of a wealthy California heiress whose death was predicted by her psychic. Naturally, Patrick Jane is quite skeptical."

Please use this thread to discuss the episode.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Tsilatnemeht

[2]Nov 16, 2008
    • level: 10
    Ooh! More of the Red John story. This episode looks like the best yet!

rkray

[3]Nov 16, 2008
    • level: 2

Tsilatnemeht wrote:
    Ooh! More of the Red John story. This episode looks like the best yet!

Where did you pick up on the Red John theme from the first post? Hope you are right because while this is a great show the first epsiode was the best because of the Red John history that was left hanging

Tsilatnemeht

[4]Nov 16, 2008
    In the preview after Red Handed, it showed the psychic, which happens to be Van Pelt's relative whom she talked about in the first episode, say something to Patrick about Red John and his family.
    Edited on 11/16/2008 5:23pm

FCBarca

[5]Nov 17, 2008
    • level: 15
    Anybody know how many episodes are in the can for this first season?...Nevermind, just checked, looks like 10...Awfully short season as they are approaching 10 which will leave a long gap before season 2...Unless, there are more episodes planned for this first season beyond the 10
    Edited on 11/17/2008 9:02am

Tsilatnemeht

[6]Nov 17, 2008
    Season total will be 22. Which was ordered along time ago on October 15.

gr3gd

[7]Nov 18, 2008
    • level: 3
    whatd you guys think of the episode? idk it was weird for me becuase it turns out the women is a real psychic??? but i watched it while doing hw so i kinda missed the whole thing... anyone explain what this episode really shows( what was with that screaming of the mother or whatever also)

BiniBeans

[8]Nov 19, 2008
    • level: 21
    Jayne set up the voice of the mother to make the daughter confess. At no time does he admit that Christina is a real psychic but he also is not debunking her. So, each viewer can come to his or her own conclusion.
    Personally I choose to believe she is just as good at the game as Jayne himself as her departing shot proves where she (imo) pretends to have heard from Jayne's wife, that his daughter wasn't aware of being killed and hadn't suffered, such leaving Jayne jerked back into his grief and guilt.
    Actually, I had hoped for a more fun give and take debunking exchange between Jayne and Christina instead of this pseudo mysterious (and depressing) ambiguity.

gr3gd

[9]Nov 19, 2008
    • level: 3
    yeah i guess that makes sense... i was also hoping that they would have a discussion and not just end like him looking as if he actually believed her

YouMayCallMe-V

[10]Nov 19, 2008
    • level: 1
    I recorded the episode last night and have rewatched it. I am not convinced that Jane believed the psychic, but he had a normal emotional reaction to the loss of his family. His family was mentioned and referenced to him several times. One when he was told that what if his family was at the seance and wanted to contact him but could not because he didn't believe. Another was when the daughter said that parents were supposed to take care of their children (Jane obviously has guilt over this). Finally being told that his daughter did not suffer. It is something that anyone would want to hear in that circumstance. So I think that Jane was mostly choked up about the loss of his family.

rkray

[11]Nov 19, 2008
    • level: 2
    Sadly there was no further additions to the Red John story and I agree that Jane's reactions were those of a grieving man rather than a believer. Thought this was a weaker episode than most and hope at some stage they get back to the Red John story.

BiniBeans

[12]Nov 19, 2008
    • level: 21
    I also believe the expression on Jane's face only showed his general grief and guilt about his family's death. I'm sure he would love to be able to believe Christina and sooth his sorrow but cannot, knowing she is just like he used to be.
    Anyway I think it is good that the show is about more than finding Red John and allows us to grow closer to the characters before that's accomplshed. Otherwise what would be left once that's done that would be worth keeping the show on the air?

danharr

[13]Nov 19, 2008
    • level: 46
    Good episode the focus on Jane dealing with his families death as a subtext was very well done. Jane was a big jerk but guess since he blames his charlatan days for his families death. It makes his attitude understandable and the case was ok not great but the back and forth of who killed the heiress was good.
    Edited on 11/19/2008 8:32pm

Teh_Fonz

[14]Nov 19, 2008
    I knew the episode where he encounters a 'fake' physic would eventually happen, just didn't think it would be so soon in the season. It's almost like they are using all the good scenarios that Jane can be in [Gambling for instance] up, without spreading them out throughout the season/s

I loved it though, and I'll be honest, I thought it was they physic trying to hoodwink the CBI and Jane. I didn't pick the daughter, I was sure it wasn't Jeremy.

A good episode, and Im really starting to settle into the mentalist now.

FCBarca

[15]Nov 20, 2008
    • level: 15

Another strong eppy...I liked the banter between the dueling psychics very much.

Misdirection is a staple of the series and soon you'll be able to pick the guilty by seeing them in the first scene, IMHO...Something to be careful about for the writers in the future.

Really enjoy Kang but is it just me or are they intentionally trying to clothe him in tight shirts?...He looks like he's about to go Hulk in his outfits

YouMayCallMe-V

[16]Nov 20, 2008
    • level: 1

I had a hunch from the beginning that it was the daughter who killed her mother because she just didn't seem too genuinely upset. It also seems like the show does subtly tip its hand as to who the guilty party may be. This episode didn't do it, but many shows actually tip the guilt party by having that person being played by a familiar character actor.

Any thoughts as to why Jane reached across the table and touched the daughter's finger during their first interview? It seemed at the time like it should be meaningful.

Adara47

[17]Nov 21, 2008
    • level: 12
    I think he was trying to get the daughter to look him in the eye when he touched her hand... Great episode!

jvdpol

[18]Nov 22, 2008
    • level: 5

At the end Jane says something along the line of:
    "Are you done channeling? Is that it?"
    when she tells him his daughter wasnt scared. Can anyone explain that to me?

What does Jane mean with channeling (if thats what he said).

ascaffo

[19]Nov 23, 2008
    • level: 23
    I don't know that proper lingo- but channeling is a means of a person (alive) acting as a vessel for the dearly departed to communicate. I don't think that Jane believed her so much as he wanted to believe her. It wasn't much of a leap to guess that he would worry that his daughter suffered. She tapped into his guilt. However, I do think that he chose to believe her scenerio that his daughter did not suffer. I would also go so far as to say that the psyhic doesn't expect Jane to believe that she is in touch with the dead, but found a way for him to accept her news anyway. Hard to explain what I mean

puppybunny1

[20]Nov 23, 2008
    • level: 13

I haven't watched this show much about the daughter storyline. I have done lots of research on the metaphysical. Basically, the soul leaves the body before a major event that caused the death. NDE/Near Death Experience Cases talked about the soul hovering above the body before death. No pain is felt.

Books by Raymond Moody, Brian L. Weiss, or James van Praagh can answer more questions than I can. James van Praagh is th co-executive producer of Ghost Whisperer. This is another CBS program. The Mentalist will be on Friday following the Ghost Whisperer show with Jennifer Love Hewitt.