1x10 Red Brick and Ivy

WhiteKnightonTV

[1]Dec 6, 2008
    • level: 60
    Red Brick and Ivy
    Episode #10
    Original air date: December 16, 2008

From futoncritic.com:
    "When a leading scientific researcher is killed by poisoning, Patrick Jane takes a personal interest in the case when he learns the prime suspect is the victim's wife, and Jane's former psychiatrist"

Please use this thread to discuss the episode.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

FCBarca

[2]Dec 17, 2008
    • level: 15
    I'll be watching it off the DVR tonight

Teh_Fonz

[3]Dec 17, 2008
    • level: 10
    Not a lot of Mentalism in this episode.
    When Jane was tricking Professor Stutzer & Chancellor Stern, I agreed Chancellor Stern's when he said that any evidence gained was inadmissible, however finding evidence in someone's basement precisely where they said it should be proves that it could not be a frame job, that should be enough to convince a jury.
    I had Stutzer pegged for the 2nd murder and Kerry[?] for the 1st.
    It was great to see Janes past again. You feel so much of his pain when he has that blank look on his face. It's kind of nice to know he is human, and that he now realises his mission on earth is to put bad people who do bad things away.
    Did anyone else see the look Van Pelt gave Rigsby when he stretched over the use the keyboard?
    A Good Episode, there was more of Janes past than his mentalist abilities.

Dexterian

[4]Dec 17, 2008
    • level: 6
    Dr Miller was hot

danharr

[5]Dec 17, 2008
    • level: 45
    Another good episode but didn't really drive home how good this show is guess I should really say it was ok. Janes past was good as was seeing ex Law & Order alumnis Elizebeth Rohm hot and a little more to her to my delight but I guess the lack of mentalism is what did the episode in and took it for great to just ok.

YouMayCallMe-V

[6]Dec 17, 2008
    • level: 1
    The Mentalist is falling into the pattern of many other shows. When you see a guest actor who is a well known character actor or just a well known actor, then you can bet they are not just there for show and have something significant to do with the plot.

FCBarca

[7]Dec 18, 2008
    • level: 15

YouMayCallMe-V wrote:
    The Mentalist is falling into the pattern of many other shows. When you see a guest actor who is a well known character actor or just a well known actor, then you can bet they are not just there for show and have something significant to do with the plot.

This is a good point and so the Mentalist is beginning to have the look/feel of some of the classic 80s 'whodunnit' series with weekly guest appearances by recognizable actors...I don't know but there's a part of that I like although the predictability factor has to be considered too.

I liked the episode although I agree with some of the criticisms...The dialogue and writing are solid but the acting wins me over, especially with Jane.

Little things that irked me...Rigsby in dresses and heels?...You see many detectives running around the precincts like that?...Kinda lame, IMHO...Also, the need to constantly show the strain of Lisbon versus her superior on assignments etc.?...Reminds me of that scene in the 'Last Action Hero' where they poked fun at the stereotype of the chief always yelling at his officers/detectives...A bit cliche for my taste

Teh_Fonz

[8]Dec 18, 2008
    The thing I like about the mentalist is that it's not over done with mentalism.
    They could have Jane doing a trick to his CBI buddies every episode, but they would get old real quick.

I agree with FCBarca, though it's Van Pelt not Rigsby. Unless I missed the episode where Rigsby was undercover as a hooker or something like that. lol.

Dexterian

[9]Dec 18, 2008
    • level: 6
    Teh_Fonz wrote:
    Unless I missed the episode where Rigsby was undercover as a hooker or something like that. lol.

Rigsby was hot

Teh_Fonz

[10]Dec 18, 2008
    Actually, thinking about it now, how do you palm a banana?

crh28

[11]Dec 18, 2008
    • level: 2
    I loved the whole "Do you want to drive?" conversation at the end. Very cute. I think those two have great chemistry. And I gotta say, does Simon Baker have the most charming smile of anyone on the planet or what?!

ascaffo

[12]Dec 19, 2008
    • level: 23

I really enjoyed this one. I liked the premise and I liked the chemistry between all of the characters. The one thing that I am not sure if I like or dislike about this show is that if you are good at deducing- you can usually pick the criminal. That is just like shows in the old days. You could figure it out. The thing to remember about The Mentalist is that its not about who did it, so much as it is about how Jane relates to the people around him.

In this episode, I liked that Jane clearly had feelings for the doc, but did not act on them. I would love to know exactly why. Is it that she is related to the horror in his life? Is it because they are too much alike?

The end was great with the who is going to drive thing. It allowed the show a good ending without being sappy

Good episode.

koala146

[13]Dec 25, 2008
    • level: 8
    No, I didn't. What was the look she gave him?