The Mentalist Forums

CBS (ended 2015)

4x7 Blinking Red Light (with spoilers)

wm4

[1]Nov 4, 2011
    • level: 3

This episode is one of the two episodes (in this series) directed by Simon Baker.
    Unlike usual, it deliberately revealed the serial killer in the half way.
    It also showed some offstage works of Jane, so we can see that his work is not
    as easy as on the surface. E.g. he was shown preparing his expressions
    and body languagein order to set up Karen Cross, the reporter who has sharp eyes.
    It is good as a "once in the blue moon" episodes.

BTW, it looked like that Jane used Panzer to test Red John ?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

UltraTraveler

[2]Nov 4, 2011
    • level: 9
    Jane was using evil to fight evil, with a double-goal, removing Panzer and luring Red John out.

But I wonder... what if Jane was wrong about Panzer. It would be sacrifice of an innocent.

saphire382

[3]Nov 5, 2011
    • level: 5

patrick jane is a sociopath he used red john to get rid of panza. he murdered panza and did not even hav to get his hands dirty

Ghosthree3

[4]Nov 5, 2011
    • level: 4
    Holy crap, I didn't even realise Jane used him to lure RJ. Wow I feel silly, also that is awesome

TylerA46

[5]Nov 5, 2011
    • level: 11

UltraTraveler wrote:
    Jane was using evil to fight evil, with a double-goal, removing Panzer and luring Red John out. But I wonder... what if Jane was wrong about Panzer. It would be sacrifice of an innocent.

He wasn't wrong about Panzer, that was made clear.

wm4

[6]Nov 5, 2011

But when I looked deeper, Jane was trying to back to the topic when Panzer started talking about RJ.
    Jane's plan was to gamble with Panzer on the live interview, which the latter was
    smart enough to see is a trap. He used RJ, Jane's weakness, to attack him; a gamble
    is a gamble so Jane may not always win.

But if it was a much smarter person than Panzer, he would probably not do what Panzer did,
    so I just guessed Panzer somewhat made the jump on his own, just that Jane wasn't able to stop it.

It seems that Jane is so frustrated that he missed to follow Panzer. Normally Jane would see
    that Red John will take actions, So maybe I had found a plot hole.

Natani

[7]Nov 5, 2011
    • level: 6

That was truly an amazing episode. I adored how he was able to lure out Red John. I saw it coming a mile away but still loved every inch of it. Two strikes with one blow. He got rid of a killer and was able to prove to Lisbon that Red John is still alive and kicking.

Natani

[8]Nov 5, 2011

I don't agree. When jane noticed that the interview wouldn't go as he wished, luring out Panzer's true nature to reveal to everyone he knew he needed to do something else. They Zoom in on the RED light on the camera. Making him think of Red John and how he drew his attention by media. Jane just dropped a hint about RJ and Pranzer's pride did the rest, being convinced of RJ's death. Jane knew he wouldn't get him any other way. And Jane is a sociopath too in my believe, he just doesn't need to kill to get his kicks, hence the reason why he can spot them so easily.

wm4

[9]Nov 6, 2011

Natani wrote:
    I don't agree. When jane noticed that the interview wouldn't go as he wished, luring out
    Panzer's true nature to reveal to everyone he knew he needed to do something else. They Zoom in
    on the RED light on the camera. Making him think of Red John and how he drew his attention by media. ....

Yes, you are right, it is Jane who started it.

The RED light made him think of the sad past, but he looked as if he was talking about some one
    who is alive (I think he forgot that RJ is dead), until Panzer reminded him. The SJ killer was good enough
    to escape the police investigation, too, so Jane was expressing his disappointments. In this case
    he is somewhat both intentional and unconscious, we can say he is starting to be crazied from now.

I still can't see why Jane hadn't followed Panzer right after if he used RJ and him. This is a fairly good chance
    to catch RJ.

zurimov

[10]Nov 6, 2011
    • level: 9

No, if Jane follows SJK, RJ, the only one who can end SJK, won't show up. Remember, for one, SJK is too smart to not notice if Jane follows him; for another, RJ has mooks everywhere, so if Jane follows SJK, he'd run the risk of being spotted by one of them. Besides, both Jane and RJ understand each other like no other. It's a deal with the devil, really. If RJ doesn't end SJK, then SJK will continue his killing spree.

wm4

[11]Nov 6, 2011

I started watching Mentalist from Season 4, so I don't know if the history between Jane
    and Red John contains some good "work with" time.

I just watched the very first episode to see how they started. Yes, it showed that Jane
    mistakenly pulled the nerve of a wife, who killed her husband she suspected. While he
    may vow to protect the justice, what he would want to see mostly is someone
    being handcuffed, but not at the same level as Jack Bauer.

I think I will stay at the Not Guilty side, and I had made enough points previously, so
    I have no more to elaborate.

psychoffspring

[12]Nov 6, 2011
    • level: 12

A very well done episode that leads to many different possibilities for the series, which I am looking forward to. Simon Baker did a great job as well, I hope he keeps up the good work. He is evolving to be a good actor and plays Patrick Jane like no other. From this episode, we can only go up from here.

FeldmanSkitzoid

[13]Nov 7, 2011
    • level: 10
    I love how this show is able to do the unexpected. I didn't think anything in this episode would surprise me, especially since we all knew who the killer was pretty early, but then those last 10 seconds happened, and I went "holy crap, did he just manipulate that guy into getting killed by Red John?" You'd never see that happen on CSI.

horatiofrog1

[14]Nov 7, 2011
    • level: 14

Not entirely sure I buy into the whole "Jane used RJ to dispose of Panzer" theory.

Yes, Jane was convinced (pretty early) that the RJ 'imposter' he killed last season was not the true RJ, but I think his actions in this episode were driven more by Jane's desire to out Panzer as SJK. It was obvious he was trying to trick Panzer into letting something slip on the air (therefore cementing his guilt).

For my money, Jane seemed VERY surprised that RJ bothered to kill Panzer in the first place.

Panzer, on the other hand, fell into Jane's mental trap in one aspect--he couldn't resist puffing himself up in front of a wide audience. Unfortunately for Panzer, he forgot that RJ doesn't like being publicly humiliated. (Of course, in Panzer's defense, it was widely believed that RJ was dead. Oops.)

belle94

[15]Nov 7, 2011

Best episode of the season so far, I think.

GreyMinerva

[16]Nov 8, 2011
    • level: 12

I think PJ set out to out the killer on camera, but the man started going off on how "bad" RJ was, and after an initial attempt to stop/protect him, Jane just set back and let them man have enough rope to hang himself.
    I think part of him wanted Panzer to be taken out - for RJ to put himself back into play, and for Panzer to be out of the game, to stop the killings- while another part of him felt dread.
    At the end, when he's at the crimescene, he's clearly not surprised by the RJ face, but he's also clearly filled with dread, and unwilling to look at the corpse.

FCBarca

[17]Nov 9, 2011
    • level: 15
    Nah, not at all...Patrick clearly put Panzer on the RJ chopping block...which will tie into the new chief of the dept's concern that he's got a psychopath working for him in Jain

Seems to be the storyline they will pursue...but, again, felt a little too contrived...Patrick has always enjoyed the role he's played in solving murders, not necessarily in murdering them...even by proxy

I don't know, I don't like this angle tbh

EricJanBogaard

[18]Nov 13, 2011

Still.... i have this nasty feeling.... of PJ being RJ ...why does PJ knows so well RJ ?

Then if so, why is RJ still "at large" ? all other killers seem far less "pro" than RJ, RJ has helpers... well that's handy !

Each episode seems to have more than one "branch" to make atotal new plot,

also for episodes in the far future.....

wm4

[19]Nov 14, 2011

Because RJ thinks the same as SJK.

They were born to be smart, we can't stop it. I saw that RJ has an ego even big as SJK,
    but certainly the latter has the bigger.

protonefrid

[20]Nov 24, 2011
    • level: 8

Am I the only one that thinks that Jane lost that battle too? I mean, Jane didn't need convincing that RJ was alive, he knew right from the moment he managed to cool down and really think things through. He only told Lisbon because she was the only one he really trusted and despite her efforts to convince him otherwise, he never doubted for a second. (even got proof from the blind lady). being the only one who knew the truth was an advantage for Jane. first, RJ being "dead" he couldn't kill for a while or he had to change his way of killing (that could give clues or evidence of who he was), and second, being "dead" might lead RJ to let down his guard and make mistakes.

from my point of view, Jane's problem is that he's not crazy enough. he keeps sacrificing his leads to save people. Just like when he shot that cop to save Lisbon, he sacrificed his advantage in this cat and mouse game to save the future victims of this other serial killer because he knew the cops wouldn't be able to catch him before he kills again. he used RJ as a last resort because he felt he had to, not because he wanted to.

and another food for thought. I have the impression that RJ actually likes Jane (he saved him) and is trying to turn him. I mean, in season 3 finale, the game was lost the moment Van Pelt told O'Laughlin the truth. The man at the table purposely turned his head towards Jane while talking with Lisbone on the phone, so that Jane might notice him. I guess it was a test to see if Jane was able to kill someone in cold blood. RJ messed with Jane's head big time... no matter if Jane would have shot the fake RJ or not, the outcome was not good for Jane's mental health. I only hope that he manages to forge a strong enough connection with Lisbon and the team to keep him focused and sane. without the CBI team he has no one in the world to keep him grounded.