We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

The Mentalist Forums

CBS (ended 2015)

4x7 Blinking Red Light (with spoilers)

CTEon

[21]Nov 25, 2011
    • level: 7

FCBarca wrote:
    Nah, not at all...Patrick clearly put Panzer on the RJ chopping block...which will tie into the new chief of the dept's concern that he's got a psychopath working for him in Jain Seems to be the storyline they will pursue...but, again, felt a little too contrived...Patrick has always enjoyed the role he's played in solving murders, not necessarily in murdering them...even by proxy I don't know, I don't like this angle tbh

I'm just curious though and I was debating this with my friend earlier. Wouldn't there be any legal implications for Jane at this point? Because the argument in the beginning of the season was that he was released because the person he had killed was RJ...the person that murdered his family. At first I had already thought this was a little far fetched because bottom line is he still killed someone but maybe RJ was on the most wanted list or something and was wanted dead or alive.

Regardless he was found not guilty because of this...so with this new crime wouldn't the police know for sure that the person Jane killed was not RJ and attempt to retry the case?...just a little confused here.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

MircoGilioli

[22]Dec 10, 2011
    • level: 1

Hi people!! someone know the name of the disco song at the episode beginning ??

rphjose

[23]Dec 13, 2011
    • level: 4
    CTEon wrote:

Regardless he was found not guilty because of this...so with this new crime wouldn't the police know for sure that the person Jane killed was not RJ and attempt to retry the case?...just a little confused here.

I believe there has to be a whole bunch of new evidence to retry a case, I mean for all the cops know the murder could've been committed by a copycat, like a red john fan who didn't like his idol being insulted on tv . I also think the double jeopardy law might apply here, i.e., no one can be judged for the same case twice.

kanniballl

[24]Dec 16, 2011
    • level: 18

rphjose wrote:
    CTEon wrote:

I believe there has to be a whole bunch of new evidence to retry a case, I mean for all the cops know the murder could've been committed by a copycat, like a red john fan who didn't like his idol being insulted on tv . I also think the double jeopardy law might apply here, i.e., no one can be judged for the same case twice.

I forget how the episode ended... but if the Jury came back with a "Not Guilty" verdict then they cannot try him for the death of that person.

They might be able to go after him for perjury or whatever or maybe assault or something he wasn't charged with originally (unlawful firing of a weapon).

But once a verdict is read that's it. The MOST that can be done in those terms if the Judge can throw out a guilty a verdict if he felt they didn't vote on the evidence + facts... but he cannot throw away a Not-Guilty if he doesn't agree with it.

Like if the minute he left after the court house and OJ said to the cameras "Oh yeh, I did it" they couldn't try him for the deaths / murders.

Double Jeopardy is to help prevent the state (ie corrupt prosecutor) from continually going after the guy over and over until they get the conviction.

There are some loop holes, like having a pal in the Federal Prosecutors bring charges again against a person that walked on a State prosecution. I don't think the same court can try with Murder and then Manslaughter later though (or vice versa).

Edited on 12/16/2011 12:51pm
    Edited 2 total times.

Ullandon

[25]Dec 19, 2011
    • level: 21
    A minor offtopic: the episode seems to missing from the episode guide since the new look of tv.com was implemented.

death_relic0

[26]Jan 11, 2012
    • level: 1

first of all, LOL, cause of all these criminal series lately everyone now has vast knowledge when it comes to law...

any ways, ya this was an amazing episode. honestly in the last few episodes i thought the show was becoming quite predictable, but this i was not expecting.. AMAZING episode..