The Mentalist Forums

Sunday 10:00 PM on CBSBetween Seasons

Anyone else disappointed with Season 4? (SPOILERS)

saphire382

[21]Nov 4, 2011
    • level: 5

kthe first episode was terribly poor, but considering i love the show i kept watching and it is picking up pace.

i think patrick is a psychopath himself he deliberately had panzi killed by red jane. in my book that is murder, though you'll rationalize it by saying 'good riddance'

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

BiniBeans

[22]Nov 14, 2011
    • level: 21
    I'd say Jayne setting up this week's serial killer to be killed by Red John is murder in anyone's book. But then Jayne has always been quite honest about wanting to kill Red John for revenge. Having killed his fall guy and getting away with it clearly is not going to give him a check.
    Also, growing up a con man pretty much featured his anti social behavior from the start. So really, nothing new in setting him up as a less harmless version than Dexter. What is charming and entertaining in a tv character would be pretty despicable in real life but happily this show is far from real life, so I say, just enjoy the ride.

FCBarca

[23]Nov 19, 2011
    • level: 15
    Episode 8 was tragically poor, again...Starting to sink in that this show may be on fumes, what happened?

Writers strike?

There's almost zero continuity or flow to the episodes now, how could they simply gloss over what happened in the last episode until the very final moment of this episode wrt Red John?...Isn't that a major plot twist?...Doesn't it stand to reason that the new CBI chief would even suspect that Patrick set the San Joaquin killer up?...What about the implications then of killing someone who wasn't Red John?...Too many loose ends to gloss over

Some of these episodes this season have been so distinctly non-Mentalist in comparison to how the series has evolved, it's hard to fathom who ok'd these scripts

Very disappointing

anphilomin78

[24]Nov 23, 2011
    • level: 1
    I'm a big fan of the show and rave about it to whoever will listen but the truth is, I now feel like I have to convince people to watch the episodes involving Red John for them to follow it... Some, if not most of the "filler" episodes add great comedic value but why not continue as you started?? The mind games of Jane v Red John are addictive enough! My favourite?? The death of Bosco and his team... Great episode!

herr_sebbe

[25]Nov 28, 2011

How come everytime someone says an episode sucks their only given reason is that there wasn't enough Red John and when there is a Red John episode everyone is complaining about that arc's fatigue.

Unpleasable Fanbase, anyone?

I personally love the stand-alones this season and the Red John episodes even more, but I don't think I would if every episode was about him.

Mike_Schmidt

[26]Dec 5, 2011
    • level: 7

No

Darkflame2006

[27]Dec 8, 2011
    • level: 9

@ herr_sebbe Anything not Red John related is just a filler and you can only have so many of these in succession before the show gets boring.

Edited on 12/08/2011 8:03am

vicbjones

[28]Dec 19, 2011
    • level: 12
    That might be a reasonable point if the name of the show were "Red John." However, the show is about Patrick Jane, a consultant to the CBI who helps solve mysteries. The show never claimed to be a serial or a soap opera. Red John may be the motivation for what Jane is doing, but any continuity between episodes is just icing on the cake, not an obligation anybody's bound to fulfill.

herr_sebbe

[29]Dec 29, 2011

@Darkflame2006 I'm going to assume you don't watch any other crime shows, because that's pretty much the only thing going on out there. Myth arcs aren't as common in current day.

I just think you should like a show for what it is, and not for what you want it to be. Season 1 had three Red John episodes, Season 2 had two and Season 3 had three (counting the finale as one). Season 4 so far packs two, so the quantity hasn't changed.

Like the poster above me said, this show isn't called "Red John". It isn't filler if it's exactly what the show set out to do. It's just the difference between standalones and a myth arc.

Edited on 12/29/2011 3:04am
    Edited 4 total times.

sassyj64

[30]Dec 31, 2011
    • level: 10

I actually drifted away from watching this series regularly when Red John became the centre of the characters' universe and the storyline started to spin out of control. That was the time when he began by invading the offices of the CBI and killing one of his henchmen. Seriously, you are expected to believe that Red John is scotch mist, that he's this untrackable, uncatchable, bogey man that is always going to be impossible to catch, impossible to kill and he's going to keep right on doing what he's doing. And he has all these inexplicably linked henchmen, who conveniently die at just the right time to avoid the CBI getting any further forward with the case. That is part of the reason that the episodes that do not have Red John in them have fallen away in quality and interest. Because how do you top Red John?

Back in the mid nineties there was a series called Profiler, which had pretty much the same premise. A civilian consultant profiler whose husband had been killed by this uncatchable bogey man, and now he's this larger than life figure, committing much the same sort of crazed crimes as Red John. When they finally caught Jack Of All Trades (as he was known), the series kind of collapsed too. I don't know if it was because the lead actress was replaced, but it seemed that without Jack, the writers could no longer function and make a series out of the work of a profiler. Without this monstrous entity, the characters ceased to function. I don't know if that is what is going to happen here, and if it does it would be a shame, because Simon Baker has really made a truly fantastic, interesting character here, and he has the perfect foil in Robin Tunney.

I find Red John's superhuman feats annoying and not in anyway believable, and they just keep getting bigger and more outlandish and unlikely. Having a bogeyman is all very well, but when the bogeyman starts behaving in a way that is not humanly possible, then you have a problem. When he becomes the bound and centre of the universe, then the series starts to lose focus.