The Mentalist Forums

Sunday 10:00 PM on CBSBetween Seasons

Flat Out The Best New Show On TV.....

Pi

[1]Oct 1, 2008
    • level: 10

This is without a doubt THE best new show on TV, and one of the best written shows to air in recent years. It has instantly become one of my favorites, and I cannot tell you all how disappointed I am to see people bashing it for being "similar" to Psych. I, in past years, have been a HUGE USA fan, watching Dead Zone, The 4400, Monk, and Psych. I am a regular viewer of Psych. Let me tell you.....and I direct this at everyone that has not given The Mentalist a chance because they think it will be too similar or even a rip-off of Psych.....The Mentalist is NOTHING like Psych. As a fellow Psych fan I hope those of you that have not given The Mentalist a chance because of the perceived similarities will take my advice and watch just the first 2 episodes of The Mentalist. This show is QUALITY. If any of you fellow Psych fans out there that have shunned this show enjoy quality, thought provoking writing, you absolutley MUST give this show a chance.

The Mentalist is a straight-up drama with some especially dramatic and emotional moments. Psych is a straight up comedy. Psych is a fun show without a whole lot of overall story arch to worry about. It is a pick up and watch comedy, and there is nothing wqrong with that. The Mentalist is the type of show that we serial drama viewers are always begging for and complaining is a dying breed. From the very first episode, the overall story arch is evident. It grabs you. It makes you think and wonder. Like the first episodes of Lost, Prison Break, and all the other great serial dramas of our day, it leaves you begging for more and wondering what will happen next. Very few shows today do this. TV execs think we as viewers are so stupid and have such short attention spans that we cannot stay tuned to a story as it unravels. This is the furthest thing from the dumbed-down television we all complain about, and rewards intelligent viewers with excellent writing and a full fledged mystery to wonder about. This is the type of show that leaves you unable to sleep the night after watching it because you cannot stop thinking about it.

On top of all this, I enjoyed it even more because it is the antagonist to all the Psychic shows currently on television. Don't get me wrong, I don't miss an episode of Medium or Ghost Whisperer (although Ghost has really gone downhillsince season 1), but sometimes I think those shows do damage by promoting the scam artists and charlatains that practice these arts in real life. While they are great concepts as TV, all too many people are taken in and taken advantage of by these scam artists and fake psychics in real life each and every day. This show is the antithesis of these psychic dramas. Rather than comparing it to Psych, I would compare it to a Darren Brown special. Throw Darren Brown into one of the best crime serials you've ever seen and that is the best I can describe it. I won't give away the story for those that have not seen it (and I hope you will), but the main character (a very likeable and perfect casting choice I may add) is a former "psychic" scam artist that endures a life-changing tragedy that alters the couse of his existance forever. He quits scamming people and begins using his skills to solve crimes. But the ghosts of his past are always there. Some of the scenes are amazing.....you can just see the pain in his eyes. If I can talk you into watching.....those of you who have not given it a chance yet.....you will see this show is so much more than Psych when the scenes regarding his past And that is not to bash Psych, I'm a fan. But this is true serial drama.....something that Psych is not.

Anyway, I've had my say. If you can't tell, I'm REALLY impressed by this show and hope my review here drums up some extra support. I will be simply devastated if this show is canceled. I too was a big Moonlight fan.....and a Jericho fan that gave plenty of money to the cause. Don't punish this show because of CBS making horrid decisions in the past. Don't wait to watch it, either. We need viewers NOW. And from the initial numbers, they look VERY good. If everyone said "I'm going to wait a year or two to make sure it isn't canceled", every show would be canceled. There would be no more good TV! Why should other viewers do your work and commit to shows so you can wait until they are established to watch? Everyone has had their heart broken when a favorite show is canceled. But believe me, this is the type of show that is worth watching even if it is cut short. It is that good. I would be happy to have even seen the first two episodes if it were canceled tomorrow. With so few good shows on these days, I hope everyone will give it a chance.........

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Mageta44

[2]Oct 2, 2008
    • level: 4
    Pi wrote:

The Mentalist is the type of show that we serial drama viewers are always begging for and complaining is a dying breed. From the very first episode, the overall story arch is evident. It grabs you. It makes you think and wonder. Like the first episodes of Lost, Prison Break, and all the other great serial dramas of our day, it leaves you begging for more and wondering what will happen next.

Is it really a serialized drama show? From what I've read and because it's on CBS I was sure this would be another boring procedural with it's (always pretty much same) case of the week. Am I wrong with that? I would really like it to be a serial like Lost oder Prison Break instead of a procedural like CSI, Psych or The Dead Zone, but I just don't really believe it, because by cancelling Jericho and Moonlight CBS has just eliminated every last show worth watching for people under 70 so it's hard to imagine that The Mentalist is a serial.

thejoemeister_1

[3]Oct 2, 2008
    • level: 8

This show is well-partnered with NCIS and House. A "procedural" with heavy serial elements that focuses mostly on character interaction.

The Mentalist is also made by the guy that made Rome. So I'm not too worried about the show becoming a boring ol' procedural.

appara

[4]Oct 2, 2008
    • level: 12

I don't really see a weekly storyline developing where you have to tune in for each episode, but I am really enjoying the show so I don't want to miss any of it.

Pi

[5]Oct 2, 2008
    Well it is only two episodes in but it certainly has heavy serial elements so far. There is a VERY interesting overall story arch (that I won't give away) that comes on strong from the very first episode. It is rare I get this excited about a new show, especially after just 2 weeks, but this is just what I've been asking for. Such intelligent writing you simply cannot relegate it to the category of a "procedural". Every show has some stand-alone episodes, even Lost, but from what I've seen it seems as though if the main storyline isn't developing in a particular episode, at least the characters and their motivations are. Obviously I don't think any show in the history of television is quite as serialized as Lost. But really the closest thing I can compare this to is a FAR more intelligent, more serialized version of "Profiler", the show that used to be on back in the "Pretender" days. If you watched that show you'll know what I mean. I find The Mentalist infinitely more interesting and smartly written than Profiler, however. Anyone on the fence can check out my profile and look at my "Show List". If you like what you see there and think we're kindred TV watchers, you absolutely MUST check out The Mentalist. This show is just such a deviation from the norm, especially for CBS, that I would be totally devastated if it were yanked like Moonlight and Jericho. As a fellow HUGE Moonlight and Jericho fan to others, please don't punish this show for CBS making HUGE mistakes with last years standouts.....

Mageta44

[6]Oct 3, 2008
    Pi wrote:
    Anyone on the fence can check out my profile and look at my "Show List". If you like what you see there and think we're kindred TV watchers, you absolutely MUST check out The Mentalist.

I've done that now and even if it might be a little (or very much) off topic I just want to say, that you have many shows there that I like too but also many I didn't know before. I looked through all those shows and have found some, that I might be interested in and hope that you could answer me some questions about them.

Those shows are:
    - First Wave
    - Intelligence
    - Jeremiah
    - The Sentinel
    - Whistler

Could you tell me about each of those shows:
    - if you would recommend them to everyone or only to some (which?) people?
    - if they have a satisfying end with every plotline resolved or if they have been cancelled without?

I would really appreciate if you could help me out here, because I'm always looking for new shows but want to be sure before I start one, that I won't be disappointed with it or especially it's ending.

And maybe I'll even give The Mentalist and chance, but for that I'll wait a little while until it has enough episodes.
    Edited on 10/03/2008 5:42am

ascaffo

[7]Oct 3, 2008
    • level: 23
    I am really enjoying this show. But, my problem is that Fringe is on the same time. There is some really good writing there. Good chemistry between characters too. Same here. I like the Mentalist because it is fairly light. Of course, there are some heavy moments too. I enjoy the way the writers merge the two.

Junest

[8]Oct 3, 2008

ascaffo, as someone that watches way too much tv, much of which is on at the same time, there are solutions to your conflict with Fringe. Tivo, DVR, or VCRs if ur old school like me. there's also online episodes.

I admit I didn't think I'd like this show, that it wouldn't be anything special, not to mention a 'rip-off' of Psych. but my sis recommended it (altho i was still nonplussed), & i found myself w/ nothing to do & saw it online. well, i got hooked.

so far, (i thought Crusoe looked cool,but it premieres later) I will agree with the title of 'best new show'.

Pi

[9]Oct 3, 2008

Boy Mageta44, you picked some good ones there. I'll tell ya about them if you promise to check Mentalist out, LoL. Let me see here.....

-First Wave

First Wave is a GREAT alien invasion show. I guess I'd call it a mixture of The Fugitive and Dark Skies if you know what those two are (and if you've never seen Dark Skies or either Fugitive incarnation, you absolutely MUST watch those too). The whole Nostradamus thing can be a little corny at times in First Wave, and some of the filler episodes can have a little bit of a corny premise sometimes as well, but all in all one of my favorites of all time and one of THE best alien shows of all time. It also ran for quite a few seasons as well, so lots of watching material there. Good TV. Oh, and I must mention that Sebastian Spence, the main character, is one of my favorite actors. He may seem a little dry at first, but give him a chance and you'll love him and the show. I would recommend First Wave to anyone that can overlook (and not get hung up on) the occasional corny episode or small plot hole. Nothing huge, because plot holes bug me too, but the occasional silliness here and there. It really is a classic, however. If you can watch syndicated TV and stuff like Dead Zone and Earth: Final Conflict, the corniness of this will not bug you at all, as this is 10 times as good as that stuff. Unfortunately, despite running for a long time, it didn't get a proper ending. But the ride is COMPLETELY worth it despite the lack of a proper ending. I highly recommend this one.

-Intelligence

One of the best crime shows I've ever seen. I would call it the Canadian version of The Wire (and again, if you've never seen The Wire, watch it immediately. THE BEST written show I've ever seen hands down). If you enjoy things like The Wire and Sopranos, you should REALLY get into Intelligence. Probably the best Canadian show I've yet seen. Great actors. There is a 2 hour backdoor pilot movie that you'll need to watch first, then the series proper starts. It ran 2 seasons and was recently canceled. I actually have yet to watch the final few episodes as I'm catching my fiance up to where I'm at, but I would assume it did not get a proper ending given it was canceled fairly unexpectedly. Again, completely worth the ride though. The cliffhanger between season 1 and season 2 was one of the most stressful things I've seen aside from Prison Break season 1 ending and Lost season 1 ending. This show is SO well written I would recommend it to absolutely anyone. TV excellence. This show is also from Canada so they get away with showing some nudity and cursing and things that wouldn't make it on air in the US

-Jeremiah

Wow, Jeremiah is a tough one. One of my favorite shows in recent memory. Was part of one of my favorite nights of TV in recent memory as well. Used to be on Showtime's Sci-Fridays back-to-back with Odyssey 5 (another excellent show you should check out if you haven't already). Those two back-to-back were a sci-fi fans dream. I must warn you though, Jeremiah season 1 can be pretty corny at times. The overall storyline about the apocalypse and ony children surviving is an amazing premise, and the storyline of Jeremiah searching for what happened to his father is great also, but in season 1 some of the episodes are tough to stomach because of cheesyness. When you get to season 2 though, watch out. Season 2 is without a doubt one of the BEST seasons of TV I've ever seen in my life. The show REALLY came into its own in season 2. If you decide to watch this, and I DO highly recommend it, stick it out if you're not liking it through season 1. I GUARANTEE it will be worth it once you get into season 2. Also, this show was on Showtime, so there is some nudity and swearing and more adult themes, FYI. I'm also a big Luke Perry fan (not from his 90210 days but from Jeremiah on), so it was really cool to see him in a serious drama. Again with this one, it may not be for everyone, but me-against-the-world, Fugitive type fans will love it, sci-fi fans will love it, and people into apocalypse plots will REALLY love it. If you liked Jericho and could overlook the corniness of the filler episodes there you should LOVE Jeremiah. And I can't stress enough, if you start it and aren't into it stick it out through season 2, you'll thank me in the end. One of the most suspenseful seasons of TV I've ever seen. Only ran two seasons. Oh, and it got a proper ending, and a KILLER ending at that. One of the best ends to a show I've ever seen. Well worth it.

-The Sentinel

Ok, The Sentinel, huh? This show is corny times 10. Some really bad stand-alone episodes, some bad acting here and there, and some REALLY laughable moments. I still enjoyed this, but then again I've exhausted a lot of the better shows out there and this was something for me to watch by myself while the fiance was sleeping late at night. I think this show aired on TNT or TBS or one of those cable stations originally, and was one of the first shows they produced. I mean, I enjoyed it but it certainly isn't for everyone. Not a whole lot of overall plot arch and more just standalone episodes, but the characters did get some development as you went along. I do like the main actor in this quite a bit (Richard Burgi), so that was a plus. I would say save this for a time when you've exhausted some of the better shows out there and are harder up for something tro watch. Not to offend fans of it, I enjoyed it and watched all 4 seasons. And that's a plus.....it ran 4 seasons and got a proper ending, so there's a lot of material to watch there and you get attached to the characters watching it for so long. I'd say if you start it be prepared to stick with it because at first you might say "What the heck IS this?!?!", LoL, but it somehow draws you in more than you would expect. Kinda reminds me of a throwback to the old shows like MacGyver and stuff. But surely not for everyone. If you've ever seen 7 days, I'd compare it to that as far as corniness factor.

-Whistler

Good show, pretty new. Just finished up its second season and I believe it is on the fence for a third, so unsure about the ending on this one. They always air this during the summer when it really should be on in the winter given it is about a ski town (the real town of Whistler which is my FAVORITE place in the world to ski). I'd liken this show to a Canadian Veronica Mars with a guy as the lead. Maybe Veronica meets Hidden Palms. By the way, if you haven't seen Veronica Mars that is another one to check out right away. I actually started watching that as a joke to annoy my fiance since the promos looked so bad and got totally hooked and it ended up being one of our favorites and one of the best written shows of recent years. But anyway, yeah, great time to watch this with wnter coming up. I think it would do better in the ratings if they aired it in winter. Has a real great winter vibe and atmosphere to it. I'd say if you like Kyle XY and Veronica you'll like this too. Has Krycek from X-Files (and Kyle XY) in it, who I like. The music in the episodes can be really annoying at first but gets better. Feels like they were trying to force music into it at first to show off new bands or something. This was REALLY hyped in the first year. They actually picked it up for 2 seasons from the very beginning, and you NEVER see that happen. They hyped it big time during the winter olympics, and actually ran fake news stories about a kid dying (which is where the plot begins) as if it really happened. Was kinda cool. But yeah, a good show that anyone can get into. Might be a little "young" for the older crowd, but if you're a Veronica fan you should love this one too. Oh, and stick with it for a couple episodes. Took them a few to get their feet under them it seemed.

So hope that helps. If you'd like to know about more let me know (anyone else is welcome to ask or PM me too). I've watched a lot of shows, especially the sci-fi stuff, and actually have all the shows on my list saved on hard drive, DVD, or blu-ray Have 5 terabytes of TV on hard drive, LoL. But yeah, I probably should have PM'ed this to you, but oh well. I started the topic, I'm allowed to get off-topic. But in exchange for my write up you do have to check out Mentalist. Ok? ok......

Teh_Fonz

[10]Oct 3, 2008

I couldn't AGREE more with the OP!

The Mentalist is what I've been waiting for. After the first episode, actually within the first 7 Minutes, I knew that I was going to love it. I watched the Pilot 3 times! and was giddy when episode 2 aired!

10/10

Mageta44

[11]Oct 4, 2008

Thanks for your answer. I will check out The Mentalist but only perhaps in a year or so....I'm not from the US, therefore my not watching it right away won't hurt the show anyway.

From your descriptions I think I will definitely check out Jeremiah and maybe Intelligence (if it has a proper ending) and Whistler. But Whistler has definitely also been cancelled after 2 seasons and I think unfortunately with a cliffhanger ending so I might have to drop this one because I can't stand cliffhanger endings as a series finale.

tle041

[13]Oct 5, 2008
    I agree. This show is definitely my favorite newcomer this season. Let's hope the ratings will keep it afloat.

thatguydug

[14]Oct 8, 2008
    • level: 3
    Iwould agree with OP - good time slot and "fit" for the shows. Not as procedural as a CSI but a very good show. The rock paper scissors in the second show had me laughing. Good pick out fo the new shows. Hopefully the additional scripts ordered live up to the rest of the show.

TesserT

[15]Oct 8, 2008
    • level: 76
    Strong Ratings for CBS; 'Mentalist' Looks Like Hit
    Story in the NY Times via the AP: CBS is looking good so far this TV season, easily winning last week in the prime-time ratings and perhaps minting a new hit in The Mentalist...the show was the third most-watched scripted series last week...The drama starring Simon Baker was helped by its Tuesday time slot after ''NCIS,'' which has quietly grown into one of TV's biggest hits in its sixth season...

Things are looking good for this show. Having it follow NCIS is working.
    Edited on 10/11/2008 7:08am

Jeric-Ho

[16]Oct 9, 2008
    • level: 34
    TesserT wrote:
    ...has quietly grown into one of TV's biggest hits in its sixth season...

Sixth Season? am i missing something? i thought this was new =)

I am liking this show very much! it does remind me of The Dead Zone minus the touching, which is not a bad thing as i personaly loved TDZ!

Klippy89

[17]Oct 10, 2008
    • level: 2
    I just cannot tell you how excited I am about this show!!! I love it. I mus admit that hearing about did not excite me but after watching the first episode I have to admit - I am hooked!!! I was so disappointed the debates made it not be shown last week!!!! I agree it has been my very favorite show of the new season.

Junest

[18]Oct 11, 2008

Jeric-Ho wrote:
    TesserT wrote:
    ...has quietly grown into one of TV's biggest hits in its sixth season...
    Sixth Season? am i missing something? i thought this was new =)

the full quote mentions NCIS, Mentalist's preceding show, (in it's 6th season) and probably helping Mentalist get high ratings by carrying over the NCIS fans. (if u haven't seen NCIS, I would highly recommend it)

Ontain

[19]Nov 3, 2008
    • level: 5
    My biggest problem with this show is that there's usually no explaination of how he does any of his observations. And while that can keep me guessing for a few episodes I would like to know more of what signs he looks for. right now it's pretty much only the routine stuff.

Quinkana

[20]Nov 3, 2008
    • level: 2

Ontain wrote:
    My biggest problem with this show is that there's usually no explaination of how he does any of his observations. And while that can keep me guessing for a few episodes I would like to know more of what signs he looks for. right now it's pretty much only the routine stuff.

I imagine they'd deal with that later on as they prolly wouldn't want to ruin the mystery so soon!