The Mentalist Forums

Sunday 10:00 PM on CBSBetween Seasons

like psych much?

Agree/Disagree with below arguement?

kittychan86

[1]May 18, 2008
    • level: 46

from the summary, this show sounds like a copy of usa network's psych (which has already got 2 seasons under its belt, and about to begin its 3rd in july)... the mentalist just seems like a version of psych but with less comedy, more drama...

opinions anyone?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

tvspaz626

[2]May 18, 2008
    • level: 18

i thought the EXACT same thing. its psych but not funny.

im not going to watch this, i rather watch psych!

SweetPeaSurry

[3]May 18, 2008
    • level: 24

I agree with the both of you. In addition, I'm not watching any new shows that CBS is putting out ... it's too distasteful to invest my time in a show that CBS is likely to cancel after only one season!!! I'll be watching Psych.

dh4645

[4]May 21, 2008
    • level: 15
    i agree

this is the poor mans psych

N1CN4C

[5]Jun 26, 2008
    • level: 12
    it could be like psych, however, i'm still going to give it a go. I enjoy Psych, and that doesn't mean i am not allowed to enjoy this as well. i'm all for more good tv, lets just hope this is something good!

Peregrine_Kloor

[6]Jul 7, 2008
    • level: 6
    N1CN4C wrote:
    it could be like psych, however, i'm still going to give it a go. I enjoy Psych, and that doesn't mean i am not allowed to enjoy this as well. i'm all for more good tv, lets just hope this is something good!
    I agree for now. until it starts all we have to go on is internet chat and promos

shules_luvr

[7]Jul 8, 2008
    • level: 5
    lets just wait and see

rlh20907

[8]Jul 9, 2008
    • level: 6
    Watched the pilot and it seemed like a post-psych show where he just gave up the charade of being psychic. There is a definitive "Bad Guy" that lead to a multi-ep plot arc which could be nice but even though they totally ripped off psych i still enjoyed it.

hotsauce_8_24

[9]Jul 10, 2008
    • level: 11

This is the total opposite of Psych. I love both shows but look at the differences rather than just seeing that he's a detective and jumping to conclusions. Psych = comedy, The Mentalist = drama. Psych = fun with no main story arc, The Mentalist = potentially very dramatic story arc. Psych = Fake psychic pretending to be one, The Mentalist = it was hinted that Patrick is a Psychic and didn't want to admit it as his character is cynical and doesn't believe in psychics or the afterlife etc.

If you people want to hate on copying, you should be complaining about Psych. As much as I love Psych, it is far more similar to Monk than the Mentalist is to Psych. Nobody important is claiming that this show is like Psych, so I don't see why a whole bunch of nobodies have to try and ruin this show.

I am posting this on the other show's board too so don't feel that I am singling anyone out, this is aimed at all the confused people that are making false copying accusations.

Edited on 07/10/2008 12:21am

JelliBeen23

[10]Jul 12, 2008
    • level: 7
    Totally a Psych copycat! They shouldn't even try airing this! They tore down the Moonlight set to put up a set for this! Sorry, I'm still a little bitter about it! Buit anyway I won't be watching this. But I will be tuning in July 18th for new Psych episodes!!!
    Edited on 07/12/2008 7:47pm

hotsauce_8_24

[11]Jul 12, 2008
    • level: 11
    Moonlight sucked after the writers strike anyway, glad it got cancelled. You probably don't like a good show like Psych for a good reason anyway, just watch it hoping that Shawn and Juliet get together. You sound like a fun person.

XGalt

[12]Jul 13, 2008
    • level: 13
    Watch the pilot. If you like quirky detective shows this is one you will want to watch. It's a solid cast. The main characters are likable and have infinite promise. The potentially season one arc is interesting from the first time you get a sense of what he's doing.

While the two premises may seem similar these two shows are like night and day. So don't judge this show by the summary. I did, but when I watched the pilot I was completely blown away.

strangergol

[13]Jul 13, 2008
    • level: 13

I've seen the first episode and loved it, despite the fact that I usually avoid criminal shows. It has a very strong cast and the main plot is also very interesting.

+1 viewer in september

KatiKatNik

[14]Jul 13, 2008

I'm a big, huge fan of Psych but after having the luck to see the pilot of The Mentalist, I have no problem with it being similar to my favorite series. TM is not a comedy, it's darker and more case-oriented than Psych which is comedy pure Also, the cast of TM is very very likable and the characters won me over in the first ten minutes.

Don't diss the show because it's being aired on CBS - it's a WB produced show after all - or because it's similar to Psych. Give it a try. It's very good and I hope that it lasts as long as any other of the CBS aired crime shows.

Kyara1980

[15]Jul 21, 2008
    It's Psych if Shawn got married, had kids, they were hacked up by a serial killer and he decided to grow up and admit he's a liar and can just read people very well.

00jsc2006

[16]Jul 22, 2008
    • level: 4

Psych and the Mentalist are very different, the mentalist is like psych meets dexter.

Charlie183

[17]Jul 28, 2008
    • level: 17

+1 viewer here !!!

liked the pilot of the mentalist...

i'll watch psych, sure, cause it's fun...

but i definetly watch this show as well... cause it has potential... and to me the characters and their relationship is more interesting than the fact that patrick jane is a "psychic detective" like shawn(from psych). so when looking at the characters: it's nothing like psych !!!

*thumbs-up*

larsaw

[18]Aug 4, 2008
    • level: 10
    psyck makes to much fun so i`m not abel to take the show seriously. Not that evry show has to be taken seriously but it seem to childish for my tast so a more matuew psyck sound good

cidray

[19]Aug 25, 2008
    • level: 1
    This is definitely a Psych copycat

MNProgRock

[20]Aug 28, 2008
    • level: 7
    I love Psych..it sounds more like MONK actually..but with even less humor. oh and MOONLIGHT was good..it's a shame it wasn't given much of a chance. It was the closest thing to FOREVER KNIGHT we've had in many years.