The Mentalist Forums

Sunday 10:00 PM on CBSBetween Seasons

like psych much?

Agree/Disagree with below arguement?

  • Avatar of ANDYBSIDE

    ANDYBSIDE

    [21]Sep 7, 2008
    • member since: 09/01/08
    • level: 3
    • rank: Soup Nazi
    • posts: 42
    well if its what the first entry says then i'll be watching. i am a psych fan so i am a little sceptical.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of L8O1S5T

    L8O1S5T

    [22]Sep 9, 2008
    • member since: 03/05/06
    • level: 3
    • rank: Soup Nazi
    • posts: 62
    I'm a fan of Psych and even though this looks to be a rip off of the show, I've seen the pilot and I enjoyed it so I will be tuning in.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of ali_tv_fan

    ali_tv_fan

    [23]Sep 13, 2008
    • member since: 03/22/08
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 677
    Love Psych, saw the pilot for TM and its really good. I was sceptical at first, but give it a shot.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Psychfan13

    Psychfan13

    [24]Sep 13, 2008
    • member since: 08/09/08
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 12
    N1CN4C wrote:
    it could be like psych, however, i'm still going to give it a go. I enjoy Psych, and that doesn't mean i am not allowed to enjoy this as well. i'm all for more good tv, lets just hope this is something good!


    I agree i'll give it a try but Psych will always be my # 1!!!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of RTTV989

    RTTV989

    [25]Sep 15, 2008
    • member since: 05/25/07
    • level: 21
    • rank: Snagglepuss
    • posts: 2,218
    Psych is one of my top three favorites along with Lost and Prison break so I cant bring myself to watching this show.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of ANIWI

    ANIWI

    [26]Sep 18, 2008
    • member since: 09/27/05
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 98
    So I was watching Criminal Minds tonight when I saw a preview for the Mentalist, where the main character says something like Most people think I'm a psychic, but I'm not I'm just highly trained in the art of observation. If that's not Psych, then I don't know what is. I mean the whole premiss of Psych is that his father drilled observing things into his head since he was a child. The Mentalist totally sounds like a rip off, even if it's like someone suggested and that it's a take on how a man would act after he grew up some and stopped pretending to be a psychic. But for crying out loud it even takes place in California (yes I know its filmed there, but not all shows filmed there take place there; CSI anyone?) but he's moved up to the state's bureau of investigation. Sure Psych may be a rip off of some obscure show that I can't remember the name of, but Psych is a cable tv show that is in its 3rd season while The Mentalist is from a network that obviously has problems coming up with its own ideas.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Loganace

    Loganace

    [27]Sep 20, 2008
    • member since: 11/23/07
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 333
    It does have a little Psych feel to it but it's not a Psych rip off,
    It's more serious and more copish...

    With more drama than comedy and it's not like mentalism (faking psycic powers) is a new concept it's been alive for quite some time..
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of linangel85

    linangel85

    [28]Sep 21, 2008
    • member since: 12/31/06
    • level: 20
    • rank: Cow Bell
    • posts: 117

    the two shows may be fairly different, but that does not mean that this show isn't a copy cat.

    it's a show about a guy with heightened observational skills who uses those skills to help the police solve crimes. It is set in California. the head honcho (senior agent) is female, just like the chief on psych. does patrick's dad come into play a lot? does he have a black best friend/partner/cohort of some kind?

    i obviously can't say that this show is a physical rip off, i dont know anything about the conception or production. but the basic similarities are TOO much that i cannot bring myself to watch it, because psych already has this show summary and does it perfectly, so why would i want to watch a dramatic version of it? no thanks.

    Edited on 09/21/2008 11:15am
    Edited 3 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Chang95

    Chang95

    [29]Sep 22, 2008
    • member since: 06/16/07
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 111
    Where is everyone watching the Pilot? I've looked it up like a thousand times, but , can't find it. If someone could help it would be much appriciated. I really want to see this show
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Placebo_obecalP

    Placebo_obecalP

    [30]Sep 23, 2008
    • member since: 05/14/04
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 439
    I disagree, a hyper observational detective is not necessarily a "Psych ripoff", is it fair to say that Psych is a "Sherlock Holmes ripoff"? Because anyone who's read Sherlock Holmes will know that he was clearly the first what we'd now call "hyper observational detective".......
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Loganace

    Loganace

    [31]Sep 23, 2008
    • member since: 11/23/07
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 333
    Chang95 wrote:
    Where is everyone watching the Pilot? I've looked it up like a thousand times, but , can't find it. If someone could help it would be much appriciated. I really want to see this show


    Hey since PM's don't work I can leave a link to the pilot in your blog
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Loganace

    Loganace

    [32]Sep 23, 2008
    • member since: 11/23/07
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 333
    Placebo_obecalP wrote:
    I disagree, a hyper observational detective is not necessarily a "Psych ripoff", is it fair to say that Psych is a "Sherlock Holmes ripoff"? Because anyone who's read Sherlock Holmes will know that he was clearly the first what we'd now call "hyper observational detective".......


    Thank you! good point!

    SO people stop calling it a rip off and give it a chance

    by watching at least one episode, is that too much to ask?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of PhilDiffy

    PhilDiffy

    [33]Sep 23, 2008
    • member since: 10/16/05
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 755
    linangel85 wrote:

    the two shows may be fairly different, but that does not mean that this show isn't a copy cat.

    it's a show about a guy with heightened observational skills who uses those skills to help the police solve crimes. It is set in California. the head honcho (senior agent) is female, just like the chief on psych. does patrick's dad come into play a lot? does he have a black best friend/partner/cohort of some kind?

    i obviously can't say that this show is a physical rip off, i dont know anything about the conception or production. but the basic similarities are TOO much that i cannot bring myself to watch it, because psych already has this show summary and does it perfectly, so why would i want to watch a dramatic version of it? no thanks.



    Honestly. God forbid the show's creators have an original idea.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of osdawaya16

    osdawaya16

    [34]Sep 24, 2008
    • member since: 04/18/07
    • level: 28
    • rank: Disco Stu
    • posts: 429
    I'm really excited about this show. I haven't watched the pilot yet - I recorded it last night but haven't gotten around to it yet. While it does sound an awful lot like Psych, I don't think it's necessarily a rip off. We don't know how long the idea for this show has been in the works. Maybe they thought of it long before Psych, but couldn't get around to producing it or finding the right team to make it or something like that. And the people that developed Psych beat them to it. But maybe it is a rip off, and the developers of The Mentalist decided the since Psych was such a great idea, they'd try their own take on that kind of show. Which isn't really uncommon in Hollywood. I mean, seriously. There are really only 7 (right?) plot lines ever, so coming up with original ideas is almost completely impossible. At least they tried to spin it to make it somewhat original - more drama instead of comedy, etc. Plus, everyone who loves Psych should really feel proud. Psych got such good ratings and was such a great show that CBS wanted a piece of the goodness and decided to try to make a show like it. It's a form of flattery, really. Be proud that you've supported your show to the point that a network wants to make a show like it. That's actually kind of cool.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of PhilDiffy

    PhilDiffy

    [35]Sep 24, 2008
    • member since: 10/16/05
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 755
    Personally, I think the observation thing is alot like the "Shawn-o-vision" (The best way I can describe it) from Psych. Isn't that like, copyright from the show?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of II_Seraphim_II

    II_Seraphim_II

    [36]Sep 24, 2008
    • member since: 12/13/07
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 106
    This show is actually a lot better the psych IMO. Psych 's comedy can be pretty dry at times, and it feels forced at times. Also, with Psych (I haven't watched all the seasons) it seems like there is no main story line. Also, I'm a big fan of character development and one thing that bothers me about comedies, is that there is little to no character development. Now I'm not ragging on Psych for this, its generally the entire comedic genre that is devoid of any character development, due to the fact that most of mainstream comedy is based on a ludicrous sequence of event, and characters acting abnormally, thus they are never truly believable for anyone to care about them enough.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of osdawaya16

    osdawaya16

    [37]Sep 24, 2008
    • member since: 04/18/07
    • level: 28
    • rank: Disco Stu
    • posts: 429
    PhilDiffy wrote:
    Personally, I think the observation thing is a lot like the "Shawn-o-vision" (The best way I can describe it) from Psych. Isn't that like, copyright from the show?


    I don't think the idea of an overly-observant detective can be copyrighted.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of PhilDiffy

    PhilDiffy

    [38]Sep 24, 2008
    • member since: 10/16/05
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 755
    osdawaya16 wrote:
    PhilDiffy wrote:
    Personally, I think the observation thing is a lot like the "Shawn-o-vision" (The best way I can describe it) from Psych. Isn't that like, copyright from the show?


    I don't think the idea of an overly-observant detective can be copyrighted.


    True, but how they notice things should be copyrighted. If you took the time to actually read the short amount I wrote, you'd see that I stated "how the character observes things". Not the idea of him being overly observant. Whether this show becomes successful or not, just get over the fact that CBS, like always, tries to take a popular show and make their own spinoff to generate viewers.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of PhilDiffy

    PhilDiffy

    [39]Sep 24, 2008
    • member since: 10/16/05
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 755
    II_Seraphim_II wrote:
    This show is actually a lot better the psych IMO. Psych 's comedy can be pretty dry at times, and it feels forced at times. Also, with Psych (I haven't watched all the seasons) it seems like there is no main story line. Also, I'm a big fan of character development and one thing that bothers me about comedies, is that there is little to no character development. Now I'm not ragging on Psych for this, its generally the entire comedic genre that is devoid of any character development, due to the fact that most of mainstream comedy is based on a ludicrous sequence of event, and characters acting abnormally, thus they are never truly believable for anyone to care about them enough.


    See, therin lies the problem, you haven't watched all the seasons. And you lose all commentary say, or any that has any value. For if you've actually been watching Psych, you'd see that the characters are developing. It's basically what the more serious undertones of season 3 have been about.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of osdawaya16

    osdawaya16

    [40]Sep 26, 2008
    • member since: 04/18/07
    • level: 28
    • rank: Disco Stu
    • posts: 429

    PhilDiffy wrote:
    osdawaya16 wrote:
    PhilDiffy wrote:
    Personally, I think the observation thing is a lot like the "Shawn-o-vision" (The best way I can describe it) from Psych. Isn't that like, copyright from the show?
    I don't think the idea of an overly-observant detective can be copyrighted.
    True, but how they notice things should be copyrighted. If you took the time to actually read the short amount I wrote, you'd see that I stated "how the character observes things". Not the idea of him being overly observant. Whether this show becomes successful or not, just get over the fact that CBS, like always, tries to take a popular show and make their own spinoff to generate viewers.

    I did read the "short amount" that you wrote. And I don't see anywhere in it that you actually stated "how the character observes things." You misquoted yourself. I do see, however, a phrase that says "Personally, I think the observation thing is a lot like the 'Shawn-o-vision" from Psych. Isn't that like, copyright from the show?" To which I responded "I don't think the idea of an overly-observant detective can be copyrighted." I stand by that. I still don't think they should be able to copyright a way of noticing things so that it is specific to a show. That would make it very difficult for networks to create new shows. After all, there aren't that many new ideas out there.

    So, clarify this for me. Are you actually saying that the "Shawn-o-vision" should be copyrighted? Because, if I recall correctly, The Mentalist doesn't actually use Shawn-o-vision. The camera doesn't zoom in on whatever Jane notices. He just notices it. Psych has to zoom in to make sure the viewers notice the clue too. Or are you saying that you believe no other character should be able to notice clues that no one else would notice? If that's the case, we need to say goodbye to every detective show or crime show on TV, because they all rely on one character noticing something that their colleagues missed.

    I don't understand where your last sentence came from. "Whether this show becomes successful or not, just get over the fact that CBS, like always, tries to take a popular show and make their own spin off to generate viewers?" First off, it is gramatically incorrect. I don't think networks can actually generate viewers. They can get viewers, and they can lose viewers, but I don't think there's actually a way for networks to create more people to be viewers. Second, why would I need to get over the fact that CBS tries to take a popular show and make their own spin off? I don't care. If they produce a quality show that is enjoyable for me to watch, I don't care where they got the idea from. Also, I don't see how this fits in to the argument.

    Before you respond, PhilDiffy, please read and reread the arguments already in place and be sure to keep your responses relevent. Thank you.

    Edited on 09/26/2008 7:00am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.