CBS (ended 2015)

like psych much?

Agree/Disagree with below arguement?

sal061288m

[41]Sep 26, 2008
    • level: 4
    PhilDiffy wrote:
    II_Seraphim_II wrote:
    This show is actually a lot better the psych IMO. Psych 's comedy can be pretty dry at times, and it feels forced at times. Also, with Psych (I haven't watched all the seasons) it seems like there is no main story line. Also, I'm a big fan of character development and one thing that bothers me about comedies, is that there is little to no character development. Now I'm not ragging on Psych for this, its generally the entire comedic genre that is devoid of any character development, due to the fact that most of mainstream comedy is based on a ludicrous sequence of event, and characters acting abnormally, thus they are never truly believable for anyone to care about them enough.

See, therin lies the problem, you haven't watched all the seasons. And you lose all commentary say, or any that has any value. For if you've actually been watching Psych, you'd see that the characters are developing. It's basically what the more serious undertones of season 3 have been about.

By your own standards you don't have any right to make any sort of comment on this show ripping something off. Just because two shows begin in a similar manner doesn't mean that they have to continue that way and you don't know what the writer's are going to do. I have never watched psych and probably never will, II_Seraphim_II has hit the core of why not for me. They do tend not to allow large plot arcs and good character development. I am looking forward to this seeing new episodes of this show, I would say that there is a bit of a "House" aspect to the show.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

II_Seraphim_II

[42]Sep 29, 2008
    • level: 6
    I find it Ironic how people are saying that this is a rip-off of psych and how they stole "Shaun-o-vision" as one poster eloquently put it. In reality, psych is a "rip-off" of Monk. Sure the guys in Psych may not be suffering from OCD but both the main characters seem to be able to pick up little details about people and solve crimes with their astute powers of observation. So far from what I have seen, my order of preference goes:
    The Mentalist > Monk > Psych
    The Mentalist has the down to earth characters and a grim plot. Sure there is some humor but its in a more grounded manner that's believable. So far, so good imo.
    Monk would have to be classified as more of a comedy show, but it does have some moments of genuine drama. The greatest moments in the show are those regarding his wife and I'm a little disappointed that they don't deal with that more often. The show has some slap-stick humor but when Monk talks/interacts with his dead wife, some truly great emotions are brought to the forefront, and some great character development.
    Psych, as I've already said, is too light for me. Its too unbelievable. Shaun's "psychic" antics look like they were torn straight from the pages of the 3 stooges. The episodes (thus far) seems to be so randomly disjointed that you could line em up in any order and no one would ever know they difference. The characters are always making jokes about everything, infact so much that you never really get to see the real "them" All we have is one punch line after another, but no one can relate to that. As real people, we are serious at times, we are not all jokes and games. i want to see some real drama, people crying, people dying, people being affected by the things happening around them.

kopeckee

[43]Oct 2, 2008
    • level: 20
    Better then Psych....

Teh_Fonz

[44]Oct 2, 2008
    • level: 10

It might be a copy of Psych, but it's not as 'cheesy'

I will still love Psych and will still watch the Mentalist.

The Mentalist is like a serious version of Psych and to an extent has bits of Monk in it too, obviously without all the phobias.

PhilDiffy

[45]Oct 2, 2008
    • level: 9
    sal061288m wrote:
    PhilDiffy wrote:
    II_Seraphim_II wrote:
    This show is actually a lot better the psych IMO. Psych 's comedy can be pretty dry at times, and it feels forced at times. Also, with Psych (I haven't watched all the seasons) it seems like there is no main story line. Also, I'm a big fan of character development and one thing that bothers me about comedies, is that there is little to no character development. Now I'm not ragging on Psych for this, its generally the entire comedic genre that is devoid of any character development, due to the fact that most of mainstream comedy is based on a ludicrous sequence of event, and characters acting abnormally, thus they are never truly believable for anyone to care about them enough.

See, therin lies the problem, you haven't watched all the seasons. And you lose all commentary say, or any that has any value. For if you've actually been watching Psych, you'd see that the characters are developing. It's basically what the more serious undertones of season 3 have been about.

By your own standards you don't have any right to make any sort of comment on this show ripping something off. Just because two shows begin in a similar manner doesn't mean that they have to continue that way and you don't know what the writer's are going to do. I have never watched psych and probably never will, II_Seraphim_II has hit the core of why not for me. They do tend not to allow large plot arcs and good character development. I am looking forward to this seeing new episodes of this show, I would say that there is a bit of a "House" aspect to the show.

Oh sure I do. I've watched the episodes of "The Mentalist" out already, this way, I CAN comment on it. See, you admitted you have never seen an episode of Psych, yet you base your opinion off what someone else says. Sounds like being a sheeple to me.

Glottis

[46]Oct 3, 2008
    Mentalist isn't a copy of Psych, if it was it would be childish and filled with dumb jokes.

Placebo_obecalP

[47]Oct 13, 2008
    • level: 13
    I've watched every episode so far of Psych and enjoy it for the silly, trashy fun it is, however I've now watched the first episode of The Mentalist and enjoyed it immensely, interesting characters, dark theme, well written, well acted, definitely one to add to the list. Anyone choosing to not watch this because it's like Psych is a moron IMNSHO.

DukeLOrange

[48]Oct 14, 2008
    • level: 5
    I'll be watching Psych....

It's better.... sorry

skateguy101

[49]Oct 20, 2008
    • level: 6

DukeLOrange wrote:
    I'll be watching Psych.... It's better.... sorry

I agree - I'll be watching Psych too. It's an excellent show.

I'm obviously more fortunate than you though as I'm not forced into choosing between the two shows. Having watched the first two episodes of the Mentalist it also appears to be excellent and is a completely different type of show to Psych - if anything, TM is more similar to a show such as Criminal Minds than it is Psych.

So, I'll be watching The Mentalist as well as Pscyh. If I'm really adventurous, I might even try and expand the number of shows I watch to three and watch 'Life' as well

TwiggyTwiggy

[50]Oct 22, 2008

osdawaya16 wrote:
    PhilDiffy wrote:
    Personally, I think the observation thing is a lot like the "Shawn-o-vision" (The best way I can describe it) from Psych. Isn't that like, copyright from the show?
    I don't think the idea of an overly-observant detective can be copyrighted.

And if it can, there's a Mr Doyle waiting for his royalty check.

angelandspike

[51]Oct 22, 2008
    • level: 66
    I wasn't sure I'd like this show, but I'm glad I decided to try it because I'm really enjoying it. I don't think it's a Psyche copycat either. I haven't seen every episode of Psyche because it's not really my cup of tea, but I've seen a few of them.

skateguy101 wrote:
    ...If I'm really adventurous, I might even try and expand the number of shows I watch to three and watch 'Life' as well

Life is an excellent show. I don't think you'll regret the decision to add it. If you like The Mentalist, you'll probably like Life as well.

tubpat

[52]Oct 27, 2008
    • level: 12
    I love the Mentalist - it's doing great in the ratings! Since you all mentioned Life - let me give a shout out to Life because it is even better this season!

I am more likely to watch a show if it is similar to another show that I do like. Having said that I don't think the Mentalist and Psyche are alike at all. The Mentalist is my favorite new network show this season.

amysnoogans

[53]Nov 3, 2008
    • level: 8

I cant tell yet but I think it's kind of like Psych without the comedy,

but then I think that The Mentalist has its own funny little moments.

we'll see how the show is developing...

eskimoto

[54]Nov 5, 2008
    • level: 3

I have to say, I think this is much slicker and more realistic than Psyche, which in my opinion, is really really cheesy and goofy in comparison.

I actually gave up watching Psyche because I couldnt bear to see any more of the lead actor trying to be some sort of wacky, goofball, misunderstood genius who refuses to take anything seriously yet still somehow has the ability to pickup women like James Bond. It is really over the top and not very well paced TV.

I find the Mentalist is more calm and collected and if anything, more realistic. His character is more a genius in the house mould. The whole plotline in Psyche, where his dad browbeats him as a kid to turn him into an observational whizkid, and then (suprise, suprise) is disapointed by him in the present day when he has actually managed to master these abilities, is just plain ridiculous. I'm sure these "abilities" can be taught to people in some limited way for military/government training, but not the extent this silly show seems to push it. At least the mentalist focuses on things that we know can be mastered, like cold reading, hypnosis, acute (not ridiculous) powers of observatio, psychology, body language, suggestion etc.

I just think the casting here is much better - and the writing seems to be a lot better too.

LadyInque

[55]Nov 5, 2008
    • level: 24
    Maybe a little im gonna watch it anyway

Sheytan

[56]Nov 13, 2008
    • level: 7
    Psych 10-15 years later

sorrowfool

[57]Nov 19, 2008
    • level: 11

Yes, it has a similar premise to Psych, but they are in reality two completely different shows. There is no reason you can't watch both. The Mentalist is a great show and deserves its own respect with being held up to Psych, which is really in a different genre.

Brimstone to Reaper (hunting demons that escaped from Hell)

Psych to The Mentalist (hyper-observant individual using ability to solve crime)

Eureka to Fringe (investigating science based crimes and mis-haps... maybe throw Eleventh Hour in here, too)

KellyKKelly

[58]Nov 20, 2008
    • level: 8
    kittychan86 wrote:

from the summary, this show sounds like a copy of usa network's psych (which has already got 2 seasons under its belt, and about to begin its 3rd in july)... the mentalist just seems like a version of psych but with less comedy, more drama...

opinions anyone?

Psych was dreadful - poorly acted and all over the place. The Mentalist has a wonderful, charismatic lead actor, a great cast (with a developing chemistry), excellent scripts. It's drama, but it has a touch of mature wit. You can't take your eyes off the guy. I've discovered my new favorite show.

PigandRooster

[59]Nov 26, 2008
    • level: 5

I like and enjoy watching both shows...

Isn't there enough room on TV for both shows, I don't think it should be one or the other.

body850

[60]Nov 29, 2008
    • level: 7
    This show is more drama and Psych its pure comedy ^^ you cant compare this two shows bcz they are different in many ways if u see Like Csi:Ny and CSI and CSI:Miami different characters different stories different show