The Mentalist Forums

CBS (ended 2015)

Red John's identity

skrappyxn

[21]Jan 14, 2011
    • level: 7

I hope it's not Partridge because that would be too obvious. To make him a main character in just one episode and to blatantly be an ass in that episode without his character going anywhere just seems too obvious. I would be extremely disappointed with the creativity of the writers if this was so. Malcolm McDowell's character would also be a let down, personally.

Jane's father would be a bit better, but I would hope that there is some creative solution down the line with a character that we have yet to be introduced to. Obviously with enough clever writing and creative storytelling or creative writing and clever storytelling, any of the above possibilities could turn out great. I just hope that will be the case if and when the time comes.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

DanielRichards0

[22]Jan 14, 2011

Well if it has to be someone we've been introduced to before. After rewatching season 1 and the first part of season 2 up to Bosco's death, I now Think Red John is Minelli. Maybe its cause I just don't trust him after his role as President Logan on 24.

Edited on 01/14/2011 5:28pm

Ajclannachan

[23]Feb 10, 2011
    • level: 8

In my opinion Red John is a bit of a nerd. When he spoke to Jane I first thought is that a girl talking in a deep voice, but the more he spoke the more clear it became that it as a man.

He kills women & chose to use a gun to deal with Jane's captors. Someone who could over power a man would maybe choose to kill those people in a different way. So he could show off for Patrick. A Dexter Morgan esc killer would have done this, but not a short/ skinny nerdy guy who is using his deranged intellect to kill.

All I can say is lets just hope red John doesnt ever visit Miami cause he would with little doubt end up on Dexter Morgan's table in no time at all.

LalaDrake

[24]Feb 24, 2011

right now, I just want to know who is helpin Red John

It's just driving me crazy, i love all of them, but who is he?

it cannot be Lisbon... for all I know she was with Jane when both murders happened in the policestation

Is it Rigsby? he has a criminal father , who slaughtered some ppl.. and he lied about where he was because he's "family" and made Cho lie about it too... now hold on to this thought... who is helping who here?

Maybe Rigsby is innocent and it's Cho. He was a gangster be4!!! but that doesn't fits the profile :S ... Maybe Red John is Rigsby's father and Rigsby is his apprentice ... Remember John gettin a list from Minelli... did anyone noticing how is Jane checking their reactions from time to time or is it just in my head?!!!

What about Grace? we know nothin about her past! just she had something painful... don't recall anythin else but she is a woman and i remember who killed the lady last season was a man ... so maybe we can exclude ladies...

Ace_o_Diamonds

[25]Feb 25, 2011
    • level: 10

Just watched "Red Queen" and noticed something. As the CBI agents made it down to the basement of the parking garage, we see Jane drive away, but the agents are prevented from following him because the door handle is tied to a post. But what I noticed is that it's tied with what looks like a bike lock just as a cyclist pedals past the screen. My guess is that the cyclist is an associate of Red John or maybe even Red John himself. Why he would facilitate the escape of the woman he framed I haven't figured out, but it's something to think about.

What also seemed a bit off to me was Bertram's quoting of a William Blake poem in the aftermath of the Hightower chase. I don't know for sure if it's from the same poem Red John quoted to Jane, but both Bertram's excerpt and "Tyger, Tyger" were written by William Blake, as many of you have probably already deduced. Hopefully we get more Red John-involved episodes.

rei_vilo

[26]Feb 26, 2011

The "Red Queen" episode is folding the cards. I expected fewer candidates for Red John, there are two new ones: Bertram and LaRoche!

Now, I don't expect the identity of Red John being revealed on the last episode of this season.

Instead, be ready for a cliff-hanger on Bloodstream to make us wait for the 4th season... and to allow writers to imagine how to solve this question!

An open question: Would The Mentalist show decrease its appeal with Red John identity being disclosed?

agent_0042

[27]Feb 26, 2011
    • level: 66
    No. And end of third season or fourth season, I just have a hunch that it may be revealed soon. Think about it - it would close one mystery, but open up a whole new world of possibilities. And even with the identity revealed, we would still have Jane's quest for vengeance, and how would the whole thing ultimately end? And Red John has always only been a component of the show's appeal anyway, not the whole picture.
    Edited on 02/26/2011 4:42pm

BarryWeen3

[28]Feb 27, 2011
    • level: 14

agent_0042 wrote:
    No. And end of third season or fourth season, I just have a hunch that it may be revealed soon. Think about it - it would close one mystery, but open up a whole new world of possibilities. And even with the identity revealed, we would still have Jane's quest for vengeance, and how would the whole thing ultimately end? And Red John has always only been a component of the show's appeal anyway, not the whole picture.

And if you use the analogy I brought up in the Red Queen Thread of comparing Red John to Moriarity, even identifying Red John doesn't mean anything until you can capture him and also his associates. And we know Red John has helpers as we've seen ample evidence of them showing up through the past seasons, of course RJ's eliminated everyone of them that we know of currently (the ex-con from season 1, the secretary from season 2, the cop killer this season). Just like in Sherlock Holmes, even after Moriarity was gone, Holmes still had to contend with the gang members that slipped through his net. Similarly, even if and when Red John is identified and captured, who's to say who else is out there that could carry out his work, keep him out of prison, help him escape, etc.

benakarlaann

[29]Feb 27, 2011
    • level: 3

I have something else on my mind when it comes to last episode. patrick thinks that by helping his boss he's ahead of RJ, but maybe it is what RJ had in mind. i was thinking that RJ decided he needs the investigation of the murder of a cop killer to close, so he framed Hightower. as RJ knows patrick better than jane knows RJ, he might have suspected that patrick would help his boss... remember the person on the bike...

i cannot wait for the next episodes.

Mysterv

[30]Feb 27, 2011
    • level: 10

Some very interesting guesses about Red John's identify.

I was wondering what is the motivation of Red John and what re his strong ties to Patrick Jane.

Does the choice of the name 'Red John' tell us something?

'Red' can represent blood or anger. Or both. A 'John' can be a prostitute's customer.

Is Red John angry at Patrick Jane or his father, who both conned people? The anger is very personal so there has to be some prior connection to Patrick or someone like a family member (his dad). The happy face does suggest the carnival as the origin. But what triggered the murdering the family of Patrick? That goes way beyond anger. Of course it is madness, but what brought Red John to that point?

Any thoughts?

skrappyxn

[31]Feb 28, 2011
    Mysterv wrote:

happy face does suggest the carnival as the origin. But what triggered the murdering the family of Patrick? That goes way beyond anger. Of course it is madness, but what brought Red John to that point?

Any thoughts?

After Jane revealed himself to be a hoax, he was on a talk show and described Red John as a coward and belittled him. But if they're closer than we know, then I'm sure there's more to it than that.

Nordan123

[32]Feb 28, 2011
    • level: 6

rei_vilo wrote:
    Would The Mentalist show decrease its appeal with Red John identity being disclosed?

Not for me,I'm sort of tired of Redjohn now since the show isn't specifically about chasing him day in day out. Catching him would also open up new avenues to explore for some time.

I love the show though,just feels like Redjohn has outplayed his usefulness.

ZVT

[33]Mar 1, 2011
    • level: 2

I have to agree... I too believe the RJ angle has been milked for all it's worth. Just the sheer number of theories and justifications for RJ's identity, each with its own merits but none too convincing, shows a lack of clear direction even from the writers on this.

If and when they do finally reveal RJ, I'm sure most of us will nod and go "Hmm.. nice.." and move on. The only way to really get us to sit up would be if one of the Core 5 - Jane, Lisbon, Cho, Rigsby or VanPelt turned out to be RJ... but that would be just WRONG!! I know Bones pulled it off, and I still haven't forgiven them for that!

What I really miss though are those little tricks Jane used to show off with in the first season. Who doesn't remember the Toothpick Telekinesis or the Balancing Spoon Act?!

BarryWeen3

[34]Mar 2, 2011
    • level: 14

As some posters have mentioned, there seems to be a Red John burnout for some viewers of the show.

I'm assuming it's because there's been too much of an emphasis on him and the storyline has been dragged over many episodes.

Do you think it would have been better if was handled like the Gravedigger on Bones or the muderer of Beckett's mom on Castle. I use those two shows as examples of what I think are better deliveries of a similar type storyline to Red John. Spoiler text just in case some people aren't caught up to the present episodes or have never seen either show.

***SPOILER***

In the case of Bones, the storylineswere small arcs (3-4 episodes)andwere usually concluded withinthe sameseason they were introduced. In Castle, even though the storyline is over three seasons (as in the Mentalist), it doesn't feel overwhelming. It's not like Beckett mentions her mother's murder all the time, whereas I have felt Red John is always being mentioned on the Mentalist, which is an exaggeration I know, but still feels that way. As far as I can tell, there have been about 7-8 episodes directly Red John related, plus a smattering of maybe 3-5 others where there was some reference to Red John.

Initially, I was interested in the Red John storyline, but I feel like they have tried to turn Jane's obsession into our obsession and I don't feel obsessed, I feel burnt out. Nowadays, I sometimes find myself watching a Mentalist episode and in the back of my head asking if thereis going to be some tie-in to Red John mentioned instead of just enjoying the episode.

ZVT

[35]Mar 2, 2011

BarryWeen3 wrote:

I'm assuming it's because there's been too much of an emphasis on him and the storyline has been dragged over many episodes.

Do you think it would have been better if was handled like the Gravedigger on Bones or the murderer of Beckett's mom on Castle. I use those two shows as examples of what I think are better deliveries of a similar type storyline to Red John.

Absolutely.. another example would be Yin and Yang on Psych!

But there is a significant difference here. See, Jane's ONLY motivation is revenge!

Once Red John is caught, Jane has no real reason to stick around CBI anymore. I mean, he doesn't want to catch bad guys and put them away. All of that is just a means to an end for him. So until the writers manage a good enough alternative for Jane's continued involvement, we're locked in! I don't want to comment on whether or not it was a mistake, but even episode titles have always referenced the villain of the show.

But I too am a little tired of it!

Nordan123

[36]Mar 5, 2011

ZVT wrote:
    What I really miss though are those little tricks Jane used to show off with in the first season. Who doesn't remember the Toothpick Telekinesis or the Balancing Spoon Act?!

I do indeed miss them.

I also miss the Jane from season 1 who in a few episodes when he could help someone who deserved it financially (Skelling family in the woods,

the girl with a mother who needed new bodyparts and a couple others I don't recall right now) and also helped people in other ways.

Patrick had a lot of empathy in season 1,it seems to be gone sadly,I miss that part of his personality.

ZVT

[37]Mar 8, 2011
    Nordan123 wrote:

Patrick had a lot of empathy in season 1,it seems to be gone sadly,I miss that part of his personality.

So right! I'd in fact forgotten those episodes until you mentioned them. That part of him has sadly disappeared.

But I feel, that also makes a certain amount of sense. For one, it is taking way too long to catch RJ, and every time they start to get somewhere, RJ swoops in and destroys whatever evidence / link they had.

Two, he has to live with the fact that Red John just saved his life.

And three, Kristina Frye's disappearance must also be weighing down on him! From his point of view, they are no closer to catching RJ and the bodies are mounting up.

Kleinke

[38]Mar 13, 2011
    • level: 12
    Here's who Red John is:

It's Grace. I know, you're shaking your head and rolling your eyes now, but... you'll see.

agent_0042

[39]Mar 13, 2011
    • level: 66
    So many holes with that theory, I'm not even going to try...

Nordan123

[40]Mar 15, 2011

[QUOTE="ZVT"]

Nordan123 wrote:
    And three, Kristina Frye's disappearance

Yeah,what happened to her after she was recovered? She sat staring then she talked to the candle and since then we haven't seen her have we?

That whole kidnapping/disappearing thing ending with her being found just like that makes me wonder...