The Mentalist Forums

Sunday 10:00 PM on CBSBetween Seasons

Red John's identity

Danokidrocker

[41]Mar 19, 2011
    • level: 1
    I'll tell you who I think Red John is: Former CBI director Virgil Manelli. In season 1, episode 11, a man with information about Red John is killed along with a prostitute. The man, Renfrew, writes a message on the wall with his own blood. It says: "Red John is Ma". The next letter is unclear. It could be an R or an N. I think it's the latter. Manelli is the perfect Red John. Close to Jane most of the time, has access to information, and fits the profile -- even more so now that he's a fisherman.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

agent_0042

[42]Mar 19, 2011
    • level: 66
    Except his name was spelled Virgil Minelli, so in order for that theory to work, then Renfrew would have to be bad at spelling.

Danokidrocker

[43]Mar 19, 2011
    • level: 1

agent_0042 wrote:
    Except his name was spelled Virgil Minelli, so in order for that theory to work, then Renfrew would have to be bad at spelling.

Ah crap. Thought I had it sussed. Oh well. Back to the drawing board.

Nordan123

[44]Mar 24, 2011
    • level: 6

Danokidrocker wrote:
    Ah crap. Thought I had it sussed. Oh well. Back to the drawing board.

You were SOOOO close! heheh

tiva_mcabby5

[45]Mar 28, 2011
    • level: 9

personally, i think it's (director?) Bertram. i'm not sure what it is about him, but theres something...

he also recited that weird poem a few episodes ago...reminded me of Red John's "tiger, tiger" poem...hmm

YanksWS96

[46]Apr 1, 2011
    • level: 20
    Nobody thinks it could be the waiter from the restaurant Jane and Kristina went to in last season's finale? The waiter said "Roll Tide," as did "Red John" in the abandoned building. Also, that waiter would be strong enough to lift a chair that had Jane in it.

I know everything else doesn't point to him, but I figured I would throw that name out since nobody else had (not that I saw).

baghban

[47]Apr 3, 2011
    YanksWS96 wrote:
    Nobody thinks it could be the waiter from the restaurant Jane and Kristina went to in last season's finale? The waiter said "Roll Tide," as did "Red John" in the abandoned building. Also, that waiter would be strong enough to lift a chair that had Jane in it.

I know everything else doesn't point to him, but I figured I would throw that name out since nobody else had (not that I saw).

if i remember correctly, the waiter at the restaurant was a little bit muscled. Red John is smaller. Plus, he is probably spying on Jane.

Sarcastic-Bones

[48]Apr 15, 2011
    tiva_mcabby5 wrote:

personally, i think it's (director?) Bertram. i'm not sure what it is about him, but theres something...

he also recited that weird poem a few episodes ago...reminded me of Red John's "tiger, tiger" poem...hmm

Yes! As soon as I heard it I was like, "That's William Blake!" Of course, it could just be nothing, but I couldn't get the idea out of my head that he also knew/recited Blake. Could be nothing, could even be to throw us off, but coincidental nonetheless, don't you think?
    Plus, he's in a position of power/easily able to pull off all the sneaking into the CBI, etc that Red John seems to be doing.

TreeOfLimEs

[49]Apr 24, 2011
    • level: 2
    I wrote this two years ago but I still hold to it.
    It's the Silent Bob look-alike with the cats and computers.
    More seasons may have added a few helpers to my theory to expand it to a group thing though.

My money is on an out there early plant from, "Red Bricks and Ivy" - The Animal rights guy, why put him in the episode?

Also has lots of PC monitors, PC Nerd/Hacker - They have a problem with this also.

Also, in "Red John's Friends", the guy(?) escapes during an animal rights protest.

Could be a RED HERRING, or a really bad script that creates a twist, albeit in the best traditions of hack script season finale writing.

Plus that way, it is someone who we have seen before but forgotten about.

Jane ran over his cat? Pat's ex show tech?
    Silent(The Hacker)Bob with his cats ann PCs

mrsquinto

[51]May 2, 2011

agent_0042 wrote:

what ifRenfrew had made a mistake and spelled it 'Manelli', thinking it was correct?

also, i thought it was the creepy CSI guy from episode 1 from the first moment i saw him

Edited on 05/02/2011 2:06pm

agent_0042

[52]May 2, 2011
    • level: 66
    mrsquinto wrote:
    what ifRenfrew had made a mistake and spelled it 'Manelli', thinking it was correct?

I suppose that's a remote possibility, but if that were something intended as a clue planted for viewers, it seems a bit overly-complex.

ral4884

[53]May 5, 2011
    • level: 7

I know everyone thinks its patridge but....

In the Finales you.....

1st season get red johns footsteps....

2nd season hear his voice......

3rd season ????

What will be revealed of Red John this year?

See his Face? Find his partner in the CBI ? Find his Location?

thoughts?

baghban

[54]May 5, 2011
    ral4884 wrote:

I know everyone thinks its patridge but....

In the Finales you.....

1st season get red johns footsteps....

2nd season hear his voice......

3rd season ????

What will be revealed of Red John this year?

See his Face? Find his partner in the CBI ? Find his Location?

thoughts?

it's already revealed that we will learn the mole in CBI, and that Patrick will confront Red John. Under which circumstances, I can't even predict. We will see his face? I don't know.
    Only thing I know is that Mentalist is a great show. The producers (I really hope) are aware that if they go along too long with Red John mystery, the show will lose its magic touch. So, I guess, in the season finale, something huge will happen (as in the finales before)

mrsquinto

[55]May 8, 2011

After re-watching a couple of season 2 episodes i guess it's almost impossible that Minelli is RJ.

I admire the show's ability to captivate it's viewers. Most shows on their 3rd season begin to seem a bit over the top or just boring (but those shows don't have the amazing Simon Baker...)

If RJ is revealed too quickly the show is going to lose a lot of it's magic. Since his identity is unknown we can only assume it's someone inside CBI (i don't think it's one of the leads) or someone significant from Jane's past. Those assumptions and anticipation contribute to Mentalists quality, don't you think? - of course, some anticipation is good, too much would be really tiresome.Once the arch enemy is revealed the pursuit will seem more trivial, in my opinion.

This being said i'm also hoping for some jane-rj encounter to shook up things a little:]

belle94

[56]May 13, 2011

I'm pretty sure that Red John is Brett Partridge. The voices of Partridge and Red John (at the end of season 2) are the same actor. Plus, things everybody else with my opinion has said pretty much sums up my opinion as well.

I can't freaking wait for the season finale! ;D

Boozwaa

[57]May 18, 2011

Maybe it's O'laughlin Van Pelt's husband to be....,???

annoyedrooster

[58]May 18, 2011
    • level: 2

Bertram or O'Laughlin could very well be associated with Red John. The CTV promo has a clear shot of their pictures taped to monitors that appear to be hooked up to surveillance cameras. Both monitors show a feed of the same room, possibly a motel room, judging by what looks to be a suitcase on the bed. Their expressions are stern, almost sinister, as if they aren't characters with whom we're supposed to sympathize. Also, this is Ace_o_Diamonds (i.e. the OP) under a different account, just in case I do end up being right. =)

BigRedNev

[59]May 19, 2011
    • level: 22

Slightly left-field suggestion.... How about Kristina Frye? I would have suggested Van Pelt but that might be a little too over the top.

pretty_sure

[60]May 19, 2011
    • level: 38

I have know idea who red john is, but I don think that whoever Red John is, is a member of CBI. I think whoever it is, is someone who has been there from the begining, but has gone by unnoticed. Even though he works there he still needs moles in the CBI so he can go unnoticed by Jane. Heres why:

He would have to be there to find places to put a mole, he'd need to know every asspect of the moles life, and the working of CBI.

He was able to save Jane from being murdered which would suggest he had previous knowlege of that case.

He would have to have inside access to kill his partner, that was an inside job.

I have know idea whats ginna happen tonight on the 2 hours season finale. I'm nervous that something bads gonna happen to Lisbon(my favorite) and excited to see who the mole is, and if Red john is reveled