The Mentalist Forums

Sunday 10:00 PM on CBSBetween Seasons

Red John's identity

mattgus

[61]May 19, 2011
    • level: 14
    red john???but cbi,our pretty redhead is with the wrong boyfriend. how do we get the original 2 back together??? her boyfriend is the mole? not the director.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

psspss2

[62]May 20, 2011
    • level: 1
    the season finale seemed a little predictable though.. you could see the man she was going to marry was the red john killer.. hows he hypnotize all these people though to do killing lol

but I see a twist coming... the guy he shot could easily be another brain washed zombie wearing a ear piece (James didnt see) and red john was telling him what to say while listening in from a far right?
    after all you couldnt see the ear piece james was wearing when he was talking to the cops/mates

cant wait to see S4 for what comes next.. and see if im right red john written out i 3 seasons seems a little short else what would the replace him with to keep the show going.. a copycat or and another killer and another family victim for him to hunt.. would kinda end up being another cop show with boring plots

Kitanishi

[63]May 20, 2011
    • level: 9
    I certainly hope that was not Red John...otherwise this show has just become another disappointment I won't be following.

And here, before this predictable and crappy finale I though that this show was above usual "cop dramas" and had quality. Not too sure about that now.

zurimov

[64]May 20, 2011

Let's give the writers credit they deserve, all right.

The mindgames are actually enjoyable to watch. Cliche they might be, but they just pile up so many cliches the episode is actually awesome.

The climax...is basically what Jane knows with conviction of Red John.

RJ is just another psycho. All that, and he's just a bad guy. It feels anticlimactic may be, but then, at the end of the day, Jane's purpose of life is simple: kill Red John. No fuss, no muss. Just simple shots at chest.

kanniballl

[65]May 20, 2011
    • level: 18

Kitanishi wrote:
    I certainly hope that was not Red John...otherwise this show has just become another disappointment I won't be following. And here, before this predictable and crappy finale I though that this show was above usual "cop dramas" and had quality. Not too sure about that now.

I have mixed feelings about it if he was.

On one hand, I thought it was brilliant. It was portrayed by a solid actor that I enjoy. He was just some guy (were you expecting horns?). He wasn't some big time Senator or Multi-Billionaire. He was just some intelligent and charismatic guy. And some story lines shouldn't go on TOO long.

On the other hand, it was a quick resolution... perhaps too quick. This guy had loyal followers willing to die for him, a network of people that infiltrated the FBI and police force. And "bam" he's dead.

I guess they can still deal with the left-overs in future seasons. Like his followers are very angry and acting on their own, or Red John's mentor shows up, etc.

DeanLangsam

[66]May 20, 2011
    • level: 5
    I really hope this is Red John.
    I'm not sure it would have done much good chasing one character for 7 seasons. The series needed a change, a new direction.

It will not be another cop show, as you are all keep forgetting Jane killed RJ in cold blood and therefore, season 4 is sure to be a change, seeing how, formally, Jane needs to go to prison.

We could chase another story-arc without making The Mentalist just another show.

Kitanishi

[67]May 20, 2011
    DeanLangsam wrote:
    I'm not sure it would have done much good chasing one character for 7 seasons. The series needed a change, a new direction.

It will not be another cop show, as you are all keep forgetting Jane killed RJ in cold blood and therefore, season 4 is sure to be a change, seeing how, formally, Jane needs to go to prison.

We could chase another story-arc without making The Mentalist just another show.

and then Jane will get over it while solving various cases and we will learn how bad revenge is and how lisbon will always be there to redeem her (oh how i hate romance ships in cop dramas)

. Red John was a very "twin peaksy" element of the show. An enigma that causes things and is connected to various things. To find out that he is just a sad old man who wants to retire was...disappointing.

I was not expecting RJ to be some sort of megalomanic billionaire. I was expecting a worthy adversary to Patrick Jane. Sadly this whole finale was filled with stupidity of characters and RJ was not an exception of that.

They could have expanded upon him a whole lot, they could have increased the mystery and made Jane's pursuit into a literal rabbit hole.

Instead they took the easy way out(I expected for half of the finale for the mole to be someone like Grace or someone more important and instead they took the MOST obvious way out).

Not to mention they went against everything RJ was. FOr past two seasons he was interested in Jane and actually urged him on his revenge path...and then suddenly he decides to go all kid-friendly and teach a lesson on how bad revenge is....? Seriously, show?

I have no interest at all watching how Patrick Jane finds love and is redeemed, nor how he starts moving on from this and becomes yet another "cop drama lead" character the tv is full of. The darkness inside him, the things he was willing to do to catch RJ and the whole RJ pursuit was the highlight of the show for me.

If the next show is generic cop drama with Patrick on rehab, I will just imagine that this show ended with this season.
    Edited on 05/20/2011 9:49am

maniacalzebra

[68]May 20, 2011
    • level: 5
    DeanLangsam wrote:

I agree. I don't want the whole Red John thing to go on indefinitely. This show isn't a soap opera (shows that are being cancelled left and right). Story arcs are one thing, but having one drag on season after season it getting boring. It needs to be resolved.

aris224

[69]May 20, 2011
    ***SPOILERS***

I kinda liked the finale. I admit I didn't expect RJ to go down so quickly but I think his story arc should be resolved. It's already been going on for 3 seasons and we only got some accomplices of the guy who were killed in the same episode... Intriguing certainly, but also repetitive. They needed to finally do smth big and making Jane meet RJ face to face was just the thing! What I would have prefered, was Jane meeting RJ in a situation were he was in no danger but couldn't kill RJ. For example, meeting him in public place or after a chase, but one on one and with NO weapons. Then RJ would leave and next season the hunt would get more violent and more suspenseful.

THEORY:

Many ppl say that the dead guy wasn't the real RJ. I have a theory, which I know may be far-fetched but would also be an INSANE twist. Jane IS Red John..! Think about it. He could have done any of the murders, he is clever, manipulative and capable of anything. Maybe a hypnosis trick of his made forget or something happened to him that made him block out that part of him. I'd hate for Jane to be RJ cause he's so likeable, but that would be an amazing turn of events!!

kanniballl

[70]May 20, 2011
    • level: 18

aris224 wrote:
    I have a theory, which I know may be far-fetched but would also be an INSANE twist. Jane IS Red John..! Think about it. He could have done any of the murders, he is clever, manipulative and capable of anything. Maybe a hypnosis trick of his made forget or something happened to him that made him block out that part of him. I'd hate for Jane to be RJ cause he's so likeable, but that would be an amazing turn of events!!

It's been suggested before, and would work.

The problem is, turning the nice protagonist into an antagonist that's done some real dark stuff... you lose a lot of respect.

It's one thing if a supporting character is revealed to be a villain, it's another if it's THE main character.

My only real problem with the reveal, is the camera showed the actor Bradley Whitford. At the very least, I recognized him right away.

I'm sorry, but you don't just happen to have a big TV actor sit in the scene unless it's a cameo or they're vital to the story. And he is/was big enough to not be some Red John lackey.

So when I saw him I was like "cool, he's Red John"

Kitanishi

[71]May 20, 2011
    kanniballl wrote:

aris224 wrote:
    I have a theory, which I know may be far-fetched but would also be an INSANE twist. Jane IS Red John..! Think about it. He could have done any of the murders, he is clever, manipulative and capable of anything. Maybe a hypnosis trick of his made forget or something happened to him that made him block out that part of him. I'd hate for Jane to be RJ cause he's so likeable, but that would be an amazing turn of events!!

It's been suggested before, and would work.

The problem is, turning the nice protagonist into an antagonist that's done some real dark stuff... you lose a lot of respect.

It's one thing if a supporting character is revealed to be a villain, it's another if it's THE main character.

It would not be the first time.

The Prisoner(original) ended with a similar tendency.

Angel Tv Series had the main character be his own greatest villain(and that trend started back in Buffy, the show that originated the character. Angel was pretty much main male lead and he did a very horrifying and disgusting stuff ranging from twisted torture to killing fan favorite characters)

Also it would make a damn good redemption story. Maybe "red john" DID want to retire, thus he "retired" into Patrick Jane. And now Jane would have to clean up all the mess the retired personality did...

Bytor65

[72]May 20, 2011
    • level: 6
    maniacalzebra wrote:

I agree. I don't want the whole Red John thing to go on indefinitely. This show isn't a soap opera (shows that are being cancelled left and right). Story arcs are one thing, but having one drag on season after season it getting boring. It needs to be resolved.

Same here. So many shows would just try to drag the one note out forever, the longer they did, the more ridiculous it would become, and the more underwhelming the take down would be.

It think they ended this chapter at a good point. Season 4 should obviously feature the fallout and how Jane manages to eventually get out of Jail. He is in real trouble if all the cameras/sound equipment were still rolling. When he gets out what then? Is he too tainted to work with CBI? What brings him back.

I really want to see season 4

Frenz9

[73]May 20, 2011
    • level: 10
    Im still not sure that was Red John, was hoping for Patricks father..

lostcause78

[74]May 21, 2011
    I think and hope it was Red John.

1 thing that just occurs to me, Red John was talking to that leader of the sect/church thing. He had a message for Jane in 1 episode.

Maybe the new big baddie? Maybe he's responsible for creating Red John as he is in the first place? He had the money and resources to help Red John

mrsquinto

[75]May 22, 2011

I hope it was NOT red john. Think about it, all this chasing and hiding and playing games and he's eliminated so effortlessly? I'd hate to see that Partick's pursuit ended with a trivial shooting.

RJ identity should not be dragged into season 16 and then we only see part of his left cheek or sth, but i believe that the unveiling of his indentity has only begun.

Boozwaa

[76]May 22, 2011
    • level: 6

I think Bertram is still in the mix of things involving Red john. He made that Phone call after Jane left his office. Then at the mall, lo and behold, Red John is there sitting a table or two away. Larouche (SP?), Hightower's replacement is also still involved somehow. The Killing of the Bomb guy was just too suspicious and the facial expression he had while putting the guy in the car before the kill, the writers were telling us in an indirect way that he is involved in something. So I think it is possible the Red john thing will continue or there will be another mystery in the CBI that will take over the Red John angle.

mrsquinto

[77]May 23, 2011

but don't you think that the way RJ revealed himself [or just the fact he made an appearance] seemed too easy?

bmoshier

[78]May 23, 2011
    • level: 46
    Boozwaa wrote:

I think Bertram is still in the mix of things involving Red john. He made that Phone call after Jane left his office. Then at the mall, lo and behold, Red John is there sitting a table or two away.

I hear you, but, I think "Red John" explained it when he mentioned he knew of Patrick's plan form his mole (the dead one). Once Red John knew of the plan, he started to follow Patrick. Hence, he was there because of Patrick not because of Bertram.

cardician

[79]May 23, 2011

It wasn't Red John. I'd bet a lot on it. Did no one notice the necklace Van Pelt was wearing and how the FBI guy pulled it off her before he died. It was a bug. That's how Red John knew to show up at the mall. It is definitely not the director. He is not even close to being crafty enough to be Red John. You can just tell by how the character is portrayed.

I think it's definitely Larouche (LaRoche?). Everything speaks to him being RJ in my mind. The way he acts, how similar he is to Jane. Sure it couldn't ahve been him that saved Jane in that one episode (that guy was not so large) but Red John has many patsies that he gets to do his work for him. Plus he could easily be telling these people what to say. How much we want to bet that next season they find out that the guy Jane shot had a earpiece or something that RJ was talking to him through.

Plus RJ said he was going to teach Jane a final lesson in humility. What better way than to get Jane to kill a basically "innocent" man? Yep, you guys are all way off. Larouche is RJ and RJ is definitely still alive.