The Mentalist Forums

CBS (ended 2015)

Red John's identity

Ineke1976

[121]Feb 26, 2012
    • level: 3

I alsothink Red john is Brett Stiles, if only because I dispise him....I'm watching the episode rigt now and I absolutely hope it's him and Jane will soon figure it out.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

q666

[122]Mar 6, 2012

Ineke1976 wrote:

I alsothink Red john is Brett Stiles, if only because I dispise him....I'm watching the episode rigt now and I absolutely hope it's him and Jane will soon figure it out.

I think Bret Stiles is far to obvious to be Red John. Outing RJ is made out to be the aha moment of the whole series. Red John turing out to be an intimidating cult leader that has apeared several times before would suprise nobody at all. A cult leader as the master puppet of Red John on the other hand would be a great supprise and further establish RJ status as the supreme mentalist. I realy hope RJ turns out to be Roslind. She has appeared 3 times already and appears as the most vulnerable and harmless of all recurring characters. Intressting fact: The name Tagliaferro that RJ supossidly called himself is italian meaning iron chisel and her last name "harker" could be interpreted as a synonym for listener.

Darkflame2006

[123]Mar 9, 2012
    • level: 9

I just hope they don't take a leaf out of Fight-clubs book and reveal Red John to be Jane himself.

Jane is portrayed as Red Johns equal so it's not entirely out of the realm of possibility if the writers want to try and be clever and take what i regard to be as the 'clever but easy way out'.

Because i want the series to end in an original way, i would like Red John to be revealed as Lisbon as that would really be a mind fuck and a half

Like the old saying goes: keep your friends close but your enemies closer.

That's how i would of played the series out anyway, tricking both the main character and the viewer from episode one all the way through to the bitter end.

Edited on 03/09/2012 7:26am
    Edited 6 total times.

mamunn2

[124]Mar 13, 2012
    • level: 6
    it would totally suck if RJ was Jane. It would also make no sense unless Jane had a split personality or something like that. But me personally I think hes someone we haven't met yet but connected to someone Jane knows ie Kristina Frye

Beecharm3r2

[125]Apr 1, 2012
    • level: 8
    I still think that Red John could be Jane's father mainly due to the fact they were both swindling people back in the day. We don't know much about his dad. Don't know if he was willing to hurt other people for kicks or if he had a resentment towards Jane. Plus I always thought the smily face was a little like a grinning clown face they showed in the episode they flashed back to the circus that Jane and his dad worked at.

I'm also starting to like the theory that Lisbon is Red John as well. Why? Well because she always lets Jane play and do whatever he wants on the cases. It would totally blind side Jane if he finds out at the end that Lisbon - someone he cares for a great deal - ends up being RJ. But there's also evidence for Red John being a man so I'm not sure how this theory would work.

However, I think I would prefer if it went down as something like, one of the last few episodes of the series, they come up with 'evidence' that shows Lisbon being Red John. Jane loses it, is torn about what to do, drama drama drama...then at the last moment we find out Lisbon's innocent. Then in the following episode or two we discover who Red John really is. Last episode ends with Jane killing Red John to save a friend's life. Justice without murder. That's how I would write it.
    Edited on 04/01/2012 12:03am

moomacci

[126]Apr 8, 2012

Asimprobableas it sounds...and there are many flaws - i wonder if it is possible that Jane himself is Red John? Like, a second personality?

Beecharm3r2

[127]Apr 13, 2012
    A friend of mine brought up a good point, that with press releases saying that it's not Jane, I think it would be a bad step for the show to then go and reveal that he IS Red John. I personally don't think they're going to go that way. However, that doesn't mean someone he's friends with may not be Red John. My friend mentioned the whole split-identity theory and while I don't think the writers will make it a Red John/Jane thing, it is possible it could be used for someone else in the show. If Lisbon is Red John, maybe they'll use the split identity thing where she doesn't know she's him. One side of her personality is sympathetic then she can be Red John. Another person they could use for this is Van Pelt. Why just them two? Simple reasoning, from what I know of dissociative personality disorder (aka split personality) it happens after someone's gone through something traumatic. Lisbon's family - her mom dies then her dad was an abusive alcoholic. Traumatizing to any kid but she has to go on and care for her family. A lot of pressure/stress. Van Pelt - Jane implied that Grace went through something traumatic that she never told anyone about (rape?). Coupled with the simple fact she's got red hair, that could be a clue. Maybe she came up with the idea of 'Red John' since she felt men might be less vulnerable. It's a coping mechanism. Plus, she appeared around the time of the show, when Jane started working with the CBI. And dating Craig...it would be neat to see that twist if he didn't realize who she was. I think that if Red John is a woman, then it's probably his right hand man who was hooking up with the blind woman (Alicia Witt).

The traumatic events could have created this alternate identity as a coping mechanism (since that's how it normally starts out as) and may have only become violent (to start) to protect herself and who knows, she (either of them) could have begun to subconsciously like the power and gained a blood lust. Dunno, when my friend and I were discussing this, Lisbon and Van Pelt came to mind. We're probably wrong but I thought I'd share.

shcashdan

[128]Apr 14, 2012
    • level: 5

I am utterly FASCINATED by your reasoning, especially your analysis of the Blake quote. . . we English Ph.D.s dig that sort of analysis!

shcashdan

[129]Apr 14, 2012
    Your note about her name would seem to be proof that she is NOT Red John, wouldn't it?

shcashdan

[130]Apr 14, 2012
    Another fan of Fried Green Tomatoes? I like the double-blind theory, but I'm betting there'll be more than just a couple of exceedingly viable possibilities before this series winds to a close. . . and I don't want it to close!

goleghasedak

[131]Apr 15, 2012
    • level: 6

I think "Red John" is not a person, It's the name of the group of people, a sort of team. It's not like there is some one named Red John and he or she (mostly "he") has friends or disciples.It's bunch of sociopaths, they work for each other, they back each others up, they cover each others tracks.

and I bet "J .J. LaRoche" is one of them, right under Jane's nose!

Mike_Schmidt

[132]Apr 30, 2012
    • level: 7

Agree with ACE

Carycomic

[133]May 18, 2012
    • level: 13

Red John has proven to have too many followers in law-enforcement to be anything less than a renegade graduate of that Scientology pastiche led/co-founded by Malcolm McDowell's character, Stiles. As far as I'm concerned, anyway. To put it (over?) simply: Red John is Darth Vader to Stiles' Emperor Palpatine!

Edited on 05/18/2012 1:54pm

TylerA46

[134]May 18, 2012
    • level: 11

Sorry for Wayneright, was a funny guy... If Lorelei just dies before giving a lead to Jane, I'll stop watching.

bbyboop1977

[135]May 23, 2012
    • level: 10

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm getting annoyed and bored of the Red John story. 4 seasons is enough.

Slash_out

[136]May 27, 2012
    Beecharm3r2 wrote:

I'm also starting to like the theory that Lisbon is Red John as well. Why? Well because she always lets Jane play and do whatever he wants on the cases. It would totally blind side Jane if he finds out at the end that Lisbon - someone he cares for a great deal - ends up being RJ. But there's also evidence for Red John being a man so I'm not sure how this theory would work.

I don't think that was possible.
    Red John wouldn't pass up the possibility to speak directly to Jane in that situation so that he could hear Jane, and answer him with his own words and not by a puppet. It wasn't a recording either it would defeat the purpose of really talking to Jane, and well, unless he can predict exactly what Jane would say, it's probably impossible to do. So he was speaking live.
    And Lisbon was in custody by the FBI at the time, cuffed, and sitting on the ground.
    It couldn't have been her. I did flirt with the idea myself. But unless the writers go for the sensational, with tons of plot holes I don't think it's her ^^.

Beecharm3r2

[137]May 28, 2012
    Yeah after seeing the finale, I've given up the idea that Lisbon or anyone on the immediate team is Red John. I'm actually going back to my original theory that RJ could be Jane's father...

I was also really sorry to see Wayneright dead. I liked him. The best boss they've had yet, in my opinion. Plus, I think they're getting rid of way too many of their bosses. And I'm not tired of the Red John plot. It was there from the start of the series much like Jack of All Trades was in the old tv show Profiler. It's a necessary evil for the show to continue. I see RJ on Mentalist the same way as Jack was on Profiler. Once he's dead, the show fizzles. Hopefully we'll be proven wrong.

I would however, liked to see more progress with RJ. To see more of his people, conspiracy, or to start giving subtle hints as to possibilities to who Red John is. If he's not a main character, have Red John say something like "you don't remember the day we met" or something creepy like that. The writers could milk it. There's lots of creepy material to work with. If RJ is going to be caught next season or even just have his identity revealed, then there needs to gradual steps taken to make sure the overall show will still be able to keep going on at the same greatness it has now. Like introducing more serial killers that challenge Jane's skills...

Anyways, I'll stop the babbling now.

AdnanAlam1

[138]May 29, 2012
    • level: 1

"Jane and the audience are coming to the gradual realization that this is a much larger task than it seemed at first. It's like those Amazon tribesmen who throw spears at passing airplanes, then come to realize those planes are the seeds of a much larger civilization that is coming down on them."

On the episode "Red John's Friends" the guy wrote "He is Ma". What if he tried to write "He is Many"?

GreyMinerva

[139]Jun 3, 2012
    • level: 12

Once upon a time, I felt a very strong case could be made for the psychic, Kristina Frye, that Patrick was drawn to.
    The "Red John" that saved Patrick from the crazy moviemakers sounded like a woman distorting her voice, and Kristina was very conveniently "missing" at the time, if I'm not mistaken.
    It would also be a great mindf*ck if it turned out to be the woman he was attracted to.
    But we haven't heard anything about her/from her since she came back, believing herself to be dead, communicating with Patrick because he was a "medium".
    (I've often thought that they surely would have convinced her that she's among the living, and questioned her about her disappearance by now. Of course, she may be permanently cuckoo, but they still should have questioned her "through the veil"...)

I don't buy the coroner, Partridge, from the early episodes. He's too young, IMO, to have built the sort of impressive network RJ has, especially as he's been at it for over 5 years at the start of the pilot.

I don't quite buy Patrick's father either. First of all, RJ was a happy little serial killer long before Jane decided to try to cash in some fame by "threatening" him on TV. RJ didn't target Jane - or involve him in any way - until Jane painted a target on himself and his family.
    So I'm not sure there's ANY connection between them before that point.

I'm not buying anyone in the inner circle, either - there's just too much trouble getting the logistics to work, since they're usually teamed up and working ALL the time, it would seem. JR keeps spending lots of time turning LEOs and visiting blind women - I just don't see how they'd find the time.

I think RJ is male, because the type of murder is most typically committed by a male; violent, bloody, against adult women of normal strength.
    Most women use poison or weapons with a longer range. But I'm not saying it CAN'T be a woman, or that he's had a woman/women impersonate him before.
    For example, I was quite convinced that FBI Agent Susan Darcy was one of his, if not RJ himself - she was used to pressure Jane, she was pursuing him in a fashion, and in the season finale she was one of the few people who could have leaked their bust to RJ (and would want Wainwright dead, for a number of reasons).
    Still not convinced she's not involved, btw.

Hoping for more clues and resolution in next season.
    And I do agree that it's sad that they killed Wainwright - I really liked him, especially at the start of the season when he showed us that he was bright, determined, and while sympathetic to Jane, not swayed by his BS. I thought it would be very interesting to see them clash through the season, although I think there was FAR too little interaction between them, and now I'm quite disappointed he's gone.

t1pster

[140]Jun 16, 2012
    • level: 1

First time poster, long time show fan. Well, someone mentioned "Fight Club" but I was thinking more along the lines of a "Memento" Guy Pearce character but with Jane's extraordinary mind control abilities. If you haven't seen the movie "Memento", check it out. This season finale's shady Vegas hotel and Mindf*'ng relationships led me down that path too. Jane's murdered family ties into it too. Add in short term memory dysfunction and I could buy it...Jane's ability to hypnotize nearly anyone in any situation portrays the power to manipulate all prior events by controlling his followers to play any role he needs. I know writers are downplaying this theory, but if Jane never really becomes aware of the killer's identity or cannot bridge the identities, I think writers could find a way around it.

Edited on 06/16/2012 7:40pm