TV.com will be making some changes to our user base starting Feb 25, 2015. For more information click here

The Mentalist Forums

CBS (ended 2015)

Red John's identity

Daxxjoker

[162]Dec 7, 2012
    • level: 1

Will you people ever get it ?! Brett Partridge IS NOT RJ ! Your clues are :

1) His voice sounds a lot like RJ's voice - yeeees, the creators would allow you to solve the greatest mystery of the show that easy,by comparing voices.

2) William Blake painted A brace of partridge - riiiiiight, Patrick and CBI team can't google all about William Blake - only you fans can, because you are just that smart. This is by far the stupidest clue about RJ. Who ever started the ball rolling with this explanation, deserves to be forbidden to think. All that is important is the poem The tyger,and it ends there.

3) He appears when RJ copycats strike - yes, but because he is a tool in a box which real RJ uses. RJ is very powerful,wealthy,smart,persuasive - Partridge is a weak person, anti-social, a freak. He could never assemble and establish contacts from all walks of life. And finally, his age excludes him.

PJ being RJ is also stupid,so it is not him. Every theory stops with Rosalind's description of RJ - straight hair,rough hands. My initial guess was that Alex Jane is RJ,but where does he come up with finances and connections ? That theory also bites the dust.

Like O'Laughlin was RJ's FBI connection - Bertram is his CBI pawn. Bertram is not RJ,nor is Minelli. No one from CBI is. Stiles is not RJ, and also Laroche is out of the running.

RJ is not a woman. Kristina Frye is not RJ, but she knows him. That's why he didn't kill her and that is why we will see her again. What I think is a real strong possibility is - Rosalind Harker is not really blind. The way RJ brought Kristina to the state where she thinks she's dead, he did that with Rosalind and blindness. I really think that's how things are. And I am sure we will see Rosalind again.

The writing on the wall was not He is mar,but He is man - unfinished He is many. So it is not Ellis Mars. First of all, no one would write He is Mars. It would either be just Mars or It's Mars. But since Ellis appears way later in the show, name Mars would mean nothing to CBI and Jane. It is not Ardiles, it is not Molinari, not Harken and most certainly not Mashburn. And after seeing that list of suspects in Jane's book, all of my attention is reserved for one name - Towlen Morning. Deceased ? If Jane is questioning this, he thinks that report confirming the frozen body was that of doctor Morning was a set up. But he has done nothing about it since that case,not even the smallest investigation. And that is why I will re-watch all the important episodes,but this time writing everything down and closely looking at every scene,every little detail. Making my own RJ dossier. And I am pretty sure I will figure out who RJ is.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

KenpachiRamma

[163]Dec 10, 2012
    How is Laroche out of the running? He's not by any account, besides the obvious, there was a moment where RJ wanted to "quit playing" and stuff and look at laroche, he seems exhausted. Also, he has a lot of power in the force and connections and no one even know who he answers to. It has to be him.

blackmage8472

[164]Jan 28, 2013
    • level: 15

Well after watching Red Barn I had a this thought: If Red John is an individual it's not Reed Diamond's character (Hafner) nor is it Stiles. Stiles because he's too old and Hafner because they were less than subtle about making him into a suspect. Regardless it simply enforces the idea that Stiles and Visualize higher ups know much more than Jane.

RoyTagliaferro

[165]Feb 4, 2013

@Daxxjoker:

He is many is also bullshit.

But the rest of your argumentation is right, in my opinion.

Edited on 02/08/2013 10:33am

rigvan

[166]Feb 7, 2013

You guys are definitely way more smarter than Patrick himself....I mean , 5 seasons running...and he still doesn't have too many clues as to who RJ is....and you guys just did it sitting !!!! You people would definitely put Patrick out of his job if you had it your way...

RoyTagliaferro

[167]Feb 8, 2013
    @rigvan:
    theoretically you are right.

The only problem is that only Bruno Heller really knows who Red John is.
    At the moment "Red John" might even not! know that he is Red John.
    lol!

(PS: I don't care about your sarcasm)

Panicos888

[168]Feb 14, 2013
    • level: 12

Hey

I watched all of the episodes so far (including 5x13) and I was wondering if you could give me a list of Red John episodes. I tried to find them again but I think I missed some of them.

DexterMorgan2

[169]Mar 5, 2013
    • level: 22

It's Gale Bertram because:

-He has shook Jane's hand on an episode wrote by Bruno Heller.

-He quotes the William Blake poem

-He drinks tea.

-The director of the CBI so he has power.

-He gave Jane the clue to finding O'Laughlin at the mall where Jane said Red John would be and because it wasn't Timothy Carter maybe Red John was still there because it was Gale Bertram.

-Bertram calls Jane boy wonder when they fist meet and that is what Jane's father called him and it's something Red John would know.

-He helped frame Hightower which is what RJ wanted.

DexterMorgan2

[170]Mar 5, 2013
    • level: 22
    Red John episodes:
    1x01-Pilot
    1x11-Red John's friends
    1x23-Red John's footsteps

2x08-His Red Right Hand
    2x23-Red Sky in the Morning

3x03-The Blood on His Hands
    3x09-Red Moon
    3x16-Red Queen
    3x23 and 3x24-Strawberries and Cream

4x01-Scarlet Ribbons
    4x07-Blinking Red Light
    4x11-Always bet on Red
    4x13-Red is the new Black
    4x23-Red Rover, Red Rover
    4x24-The Crimson Hat

5x01-The Crimson Ticket
    5x08-Red Sails in the Sunset
    5x13-The Red Barn
    5x16-There Will Be Blood

daneldorado

[171]Mar 6, 2013

Brett Partridge was, I believe, the first person identified here on the Internet as a possible Red John. That notion stayed with most of us throughout the first season, and was only intensified when, in the finale of Season 2, Red John "appeared" while wearing a full-face mask. Though we never got a good look at the person, what we did see is that the masked man is approximately the same height as Jack Plotnick, the actor who plays Partridge.

But I can't believe it's him. One reason I reject the notion of Partridge as Red John is in the very first episode of the show. If you recall, we first see Partridge in his job as a forensics agent, as he explains to the CBI team how the murder victim was killed, and that all the evidence points to Red John. But Patrick Jane takes it all in, then announces "This isn't Red John."

Partridge is annoyed that his theory is being debunked. Angrily, he says to Jane, "So you say!" Jane, just as angrily, says, "So. I. Say!"

In that scene, Partridge was pissed off at Jane for openly denying his theory. But WHY? Put yourself in RJ's shoes. If you want the CBI to think you (i.e., Red John) were the killer, then WHY would you be dismissive of Jane's notion that the killer had to be someone else?

The question answers itself. The real Red John would be eager to claim responsibility for this murder, so he wouldn't have made the telltale mistakes that told Jane the killer was someone else. As it turns out, it WAS someone else.

Cheers,

Dan

Edited on 03/06/2013 11:07pm

FedericoTorre1

[172]Mar 7, 2013
    I think Brett Patridge is too young to be Red John, he couldn't have been in the Red Barn's farm (don't remember its name) and kill those 2 guys. At that time he shoud have been, I don't know, in Elementary School.

TylerA46

[173]Mar 11, 2013
    • level: 11

It's quite obvious Bertram and Kirkland are involved, too bad Jane is blind now.

kathrynm3

[174]Mar 11, 2013
    who knows who it is - more to the point - who cares. let's just shut the book on red john and move on - enough alreay

philiprorrer

[175]Mar 11, 2013

I agree, they should go ahead and end the whole Red John thing. The Mentalist is one of my top shows and I'm getting bored with it. The show will be a hit without the Red John story line. As far as Brett Partridge goes, I never thought it was going to be him because from the beginning, he was too young. I think it actually will end up being very obvious throughout the last couple of episodes to the answer or a random character we seen maybe once. Now the fact they said Jane has shook his hand was a wonderful idea for the show because this has made people go back and watch from the very beginning which means more views and more money. Smart. I used to care and guess, now I don't care who it is. Just let them kill em and go on....

houbou

[176]Mar 11, 2013
    • level: 12

I think Red John is the homeland security dude

Goqklf56

[177]Mar 15, 2013

1. I don't think it's anyone we know, that would be too easy.

2. I hope it's anyone we doesn't know, makes it more interesting. Guessing of who it can be to be right..that's childsplay. Throwing in an interesting, new character that's actually the antagonist the show has followed, that takes real skill on the creators part. I for one hope it's not this Brett or Jane's father as that would be so cliché, regardless of how emtotional convenient it would be.

3. I really hope they don't kill him off immediately, it would be great if they give us some time to explore why he does the thing he do and some flashbacks to his childhood etc. Preferably during season 6 then the show can end.

WalterThomas

[178]Mar 17, 2013
    • level: 3

Personally I think Red John is Gale Bertram played by Michael Gaston. He also has a sort of slightly nasal voice. Red John always sounded to me like a man trying to guise his voice by changing it. Besides that there are a number of other reasons.

1) For those who remember the two-parter finale that ended Season 3 (the one where Jane had supposedly killed RJ), we found out that FBI Agen O'Laughlin was RJ's mole. But in the same scene we saw the RJ suspect, Bertram also appears in the mall courtyard as a Cameo. Strangely enough Bertram doesn't stick around but walks away. Now for those who missed the set-up from the previous episode it's like this. The team got together and set a trap for the RJ mole by telling them agent Hightower (who was on the run) was in a hotel room and had info on RJ. They gave each person they suspected a different room number then staked out the rooms. The assassin sent by RJ went in through the room they told Bertram room then when out on the balcony to scale the wall to room they told FBI Agent O'Laughlin.

2) Much of the time he says he's forced into situations with other agencies. But when he is left to deal with and negotiate with the officers of those other agencies (FBI, Homeland, etc.) his mood changes, almost as if he wants them to interfere. The last episode S05E16 with our Homeland Security connection makes this even more apparent as the guy from Homeland Security hides in the closet while Bertram and Lisbon an off the cuff discussion. Plus as Lisbon asked what the hell is Homeland doing in a serial killer investigation, it's not their forte.

3) Bertram always keeps Jane where he is. Even in the worst case scenarion when in the Season 4 finale (I believe at least) where Wainright gets shot in a botched (unofficial) sting Bertram keeps Jane and re-assigns the rest of the team. He sort of has the same perverse fondness to Jane that RJ does.

4) In the end of episode 16 season 2 Bertram whispers some kind of Red John style poetry into LaRouche's ear at a crash scene following Hightowers escape aided by Jane.

5) Who else would have more access to the CBI then it's director.

6) The retaliation against Lorelei Martins and the sequestering of the dying RJ witness by Homeland seemed awfully prompt and orchestrated.

7) Lorelei did say she was suprised the two didn't become best buddies the moment they shook hands. Out of all the people I've seen there Bertram seems the one most mentally acrobatic in the same way Jane is.

WalterThomas

[179]Mar 17, 2013
    • level: 3
    I don't think iit's the homeland security dude. After this many coincidences I think Jane suspects Bertram something awful. Knowing Bertram is a good poker player Jane is keeping his deal close to him and hidden. I think this is why Jane seems to be avoiding Bertram for the most part lately. Plus like I said Bertram seems to have the same perverse fondness of Jane that RJ has. Doesn't matter what it is, Bertram is always trying to keep Jane under his thumb.

TylerA46

[180]Mar 25, 2013
    • level: 11

Jane should just bring an audio recording of Bertram & the homeland dude's voices to the blind woman.

I'm afraid Jane was hypnotized though, the way the homeland dude tapped him at he end of this episode seemed strange.

Edited on 03/25/2013 10:44am
    Edited 2 total times.