The Mentalist Forums

Sunday 10:00 PM on CBSIn Season

Should Lisbon and Patrick get together romantically?

bnekid

[1]Mar 4, 2010
    • level: 2

The reason why I am asking is because, neither characters are involved with anyone. They also share trauma in their backgrounds. Patrick was there for her when she was being manipulated by the head shrink. I think that this would make the show more interesting if they were to get more romantically involved with one another, because they would have to sneak around. This would also give Patrick more slight of hand manipulations on the othercharacters like he was doing in the first season.

What do you think about Patrick and Lisbon becoming more involved with each other?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

lemae_27

[2]Mar 5, 2010
    • level: 6

Well officially of course I want them to get together but keeping with the show, Jane is emotionally unavailable. He's so set on catching Red John there is no way he could have a romantic relationship with someone, since that would mean moving on from his wife and child and I just don't think he could do it. Not to mention that anyone he did 'date' would potentially be a target for Red John and I don't think he would put someone he cared about in that situation. On the show I'm happy to see them flirt, tease, and argue with each other....it's kind of their brand of foreplay I guess.

I would love to see a more deepened friendship, where they confide in each other. When personal information is revealed about Lisbon or Jane it seems that they are revealing it to each other. Can't think of anytime where the rest of the team was involved. I think the feelings are there, or at least could be there but it's not something they could ever act on unless of course they catch Red John, which I would love. I would love to see them develop Jane's character outside of Red John but I'm not holding my breath. Until then I'm happy reading fanfics and living off of the small glances and smiles they shoot each others way.

Edited on 03/05/2010 7:53am

vicbjones

[3]Mar 6, 2010
    • level: 12

God, no. I loved the scene at the end of "Crimson Casanova" where Jane turned down the women at the bar, pointing at his wedding ring and saying he was married. Let Jane and Lisbon care about and protect each other as colleagues and friends. Going beyond that has been the shark-jumping point for a couple of series (Moonlighting, The X-Files). Lisbon pulling Jane from the ledge, so to speak, is worth a lot more to me than yet another distracting "hook-up" for the lonelorn housewives and teenage girls.

bex2000

[4]Mar 6, 2010

I think they should, but not for a few more series. I think that they need to keep building on there relationship first. It would be good if Lisbon could be romatically linked to other people first.

Vesper-Lynd

[5]Mar 8, 2010
    • level: 18
    As much as I'd think they'd make a cute couple, their characters don't seem to be heading that way. Well, they kinda do, but still. They're growing closer and closer as the series progresses, but they don't seem romantically interested in each other. In this, I must applaud both the acting and the writing.

They have a really wonderful friendship and a great bond through that. They're there for each other, they understand each other. Lisbon really empathizes with Jane's pain and on a very deep level, he needs a *friend* who can do that, not a girlfriend.

This is one of the few TV couples that I find to be absolutely perfect exactly as friends. The dynamic they have right now is perfect.

Lightlacy

[6]Mar 11, 2010
    • level: 10
    I think that it would be kinda nice, but Jane is just to out of touch. This would in a way make the show end sooner and wouldn't be as enjoyable.

JasP123

[7]Mar 12, 2010
    • level: 3

Personally I think that it would be a mistake for Jane and Lisbon to get together. They have a very interesting and solid friendship and romance would completely destroy this. For me a strong friendship is far more interesting then watching yet another tired romantic cliche. To many shows have gone down this road and it is rarely a good idea.

bnekid

[8]Mar 12, 2010
    After watching Code Red, you guys have convinced me that a relationship between Jane and Lisbon would muddy the waters of the show. I do like the banter between them, Lisbon is not afraid to sock it to him when he steps out of bounds a little. Shows like this brings out the arm-chair detective in me, Code Red gave me a run for my money.

SG1andAhalf

[9]Mar 26, 2010
    • level: 7

Not unless you want to kill the show tomorrow!

OTH_15

[10]Mar 26, 2010
    • level: 12

no...well not yet anyways

rphjose

[11]Mar 28, 2010
    • level: 4
    No, as pointed above the show would jump the shark.

sunsethill

[12]Apr 2, 2010

Absolutely not! The tension between the two works fine for the show. Once intimate contact is made, it's "lights out"--no pun intended.

angeland8

[13]Apr 4, 2010
    I think they should, but only in the final episode

Crackrobat

[15]Apr 10, 2010
    • level: 1

I think it's pretty obvious that the show is setting up for Jane to have to pick between his feelings for Lisbon and revenge on Red John.

Early on in the show Jane and Lisbon had a discussion about what each would do when/if they caught Red John. Jane admitted he planned to kill him whilst Lisbon said she would not allow him to do so. I think this moment will be the crux of the show and the defining moment of their relationship.

I'm quite happy to have Jane and Lisbon being flirtatious and even see Jane being just as cute and cosy with other women (ala Sophie) but I don't see him ever being in any kind of serious relationship. It would demean his whole character. As was said earlier, his whole reason for being right now is to avenge his wife and child's death. To have him be in a serious relationship would prove he had moved on in some way and that would spell the end of the show.

blueMnM415

[16]May 11, 2010
    • level: 15

I'm extremely torn when it comes to these two.

I just started recently watching the show and the first episode I saw was "Rose-Colored Glass" and I thought they were SO adorable when they were dancing together at the end. That was before, however, I knew the deeper plot-line of both the characters and the show altogether. I've been smitten with them being a couple since then but since I am now all caught up I can safely say that I do not see them as a couple anytime soon.

Jane is far too emotionally scared for that and completely devoted to killing Red John and avenging his wife and daughter. Someone else mentioned the episode where the woman asked Jane to come have a drink with them and he said he was married; I absolutely LOVED when he did that! His situation is far different from any romantic possibility I've ever seen presented on TV which Iabsolutelylove about him. Nothing could happen between him and Lisbon right now because he is still in love with his wife and is thinking of nothing but killing Red John. They're friendship is in a good place right now and deepening and developing as the series continues, but Jane still pushes the line sometimes which is already hard to toe with him and it would only be harder if they were involved. Also, as someone else also mentioned, Jane would never enter into a relationship with someone with Red John still at large because he knows that he is always watching. Jane would never put anyone, especially Lisbon, in that kind of danger.

I love their cute and witty banters and casual flirting but I think this relationship won't blossom for several seasons, as it should. That is one of my favorite aspects about another favorite show of mine, The X-files, and how it took Mulder and Scully seven seasons to "officially" get together even though there was heavy flirting and absolutely ADORABLE scenes and moments shared between them, it took a long time for the friendship and relationship to fully develop because Mulder (Jane) was so focused on his work and finding his sister and Scully (Lisbon) was dedicated to doing the job right.

I say give it a few more seasons, actually... if they're gonna get together, it's probably gonna be the last season and Lisbon will get kidnapped by Red John and Jane will have to come and rescue her and kill RJ and then everyone can be happy! Yay!!Laughing

Meaghanlr92

[17]May 15, 2010
    • level: 4
    I think they would be nice together, especially after that scene where they were left in the desert in that what-do-you-call-it (I know, but can't remember exactly). I also think it should be in a long while, because they just barely have anything going. If it's five seasons from now, so be it.

bdancer99

[18]Jun 5, 2010
    • level: 11

i think that it would be really interesting what would happen, and where the show would go if they did, because depending on how they could do it, it could make the show even better, or it could just be weird,

Beecharm3r2

[20]Oct 26, 2010
    • level: 8
    I'd rather Jane move on with someone new. I see him and Lisbon as friends. I prefer it that way. If they hooked up it would kill the show. Ideally I would like them both to become happy with other people.