The Mentalist Forums

Sunday 10:00 PM on CBSBetween Seasons

SPOILERS, Promos, Sneak Peeks

FCBarca

[21]Aug 24, 2009
    • level: 15
    I like the idea behind the Bosco character and friction with Patrick...Almost was inevitable that they'd include someone in CBI for him to have conflict with....Looking forward to it
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

TesserT

[22]Sep 10, 2009
    • level: 77
    TV Guide Sept 14-20, 2009 pg 53

The hunt for Red John will take a startling turn when Jane is dropped from the case. "Right from the opening teaser of the new season, you'll see my character has become totally distracted by Red John and is starting to lose his mind a bit," Baker says. "He can't catch the guy, so he's feeling outsmarted and very frustrated and so preoccupied that he makes a terrible mistake on another investigation."

Making matters worse, Jane's replacement on the Red John case is Sam Bosco, a gritty, straight-arrow detective who hates Jane's devlish charm and unscrupulous disregard for protocol.

Not to worry, Jane and Lisbon will continue to work on other cases, though Bosco wants Jane bounced from CBI altogether. In one episode, Bosco will catch Jane in an illegal activity and have him thrown into jail, but that actually proves fortuitous when Jane winds up solving a crime behind bars.

"Patrick is not going to take all this lying down." says Baker. "He'll do everything he can to get in Bosco's face and discredit him. Also, he instantly senses there's some sort of secret past between Bosco and Lisbon, and that adds fuel to his fire."

The rest of the team will break out this season: Rigsby will go for it with Van Pelt. (Yes, there will be passion in the CBI office.). Cho will finally be unleashed - they've written a James Bond-type episode for him where a loved one is put in jeopardy and he becomes a real action man.

Creator Bruno Heller says the new night and a later hour is not a license for increased sex & gore. "We've found a great formula with The Mentalist. The audience really seems to love it and we will continue to respect that."

Bujemi

[23]Sep 10, 2009
    • level: 4

"Oh, PLEASE. I like this show, but this Red John story is just stupid. Who is Red John? If you can't figure it out then it is past your bed time. Let me spell it out for you based upon tonight's episode: "Red John's Friend's." Red John wants the rich guy out of prison so that he can kill him. Red John has access to the secure police network. Red John knows that the rich guy is in TJ. Red John is ALWAYS one step ahead of Jane and his team. Red John's real name sounds like . . . "Man." Actually, Red John's real name is Virgil Minelli, whose real real name is Gregory Itzin. And when Red John calls Jane whose voice is it? Minelli/Itzin. Who just happend to "leave town" so that Jane et. al. can get the rich guy out of prison? Minelli/Itzin. And what straight male CBI supervisor wears THREE earings? I'm sure that it will come out, if it hasn't already, that Minelli/Itzin got Jane into the CBI initially. He obviously wants to keep an eye on Jane and prove that he is smarter than Jane. And if Jane can't recognize the guys voice then he is an idiot."

Yeah! i totally agree, its so so obvious it hurts, so i hope that he will figure it out soon before it gets imbarrasing... and how does red john look: He is not so tall, has short straight hair, not fit but strong hands and a soft voice... who looks like that? Virgil Minelli maybe... Besides everything u said in your post is it not strange that he is in every episode that red john is, but is missing in most of the other ones. And in the last episode, how does Pelt figure out where to look: Virgil Minelli comes along and know exactly what to look for, and for the first time in the show he is helping them in an investigation???

Please reveal it now, so the show can go on!!

TesserT

[24]Sep 16, 2009
    TV Guide Sept 21-27, 2009 pg 38-39, great photo spread of cast pg 36-37

Parts of the article:

...Lisbon's former mentor, CBI Sam Bosco (played by Terry Kinnery) "doesn't like Jane's brand of voodoo - so the war is on," says Kinney. "And Bosco is really disappointed in Lisbon. He trained her. Now her finds her partnering with the Amazing Kreskin." There's been buzz that Lisbon and Bosco's past was romantic in nature. If so, Tunney (Lisbon) won't cop to it. "You don't know if their secret is sexual or something that happened professionally," she notes. "But I will say this: It's about leverage. Bosco is the last person she wants to see walk through the door."

...One of the great emotional draws of the The Mentalist is Jane's broken heart. ..in rare private moments, viewers see a very different Jane, one who is quietly consumed with guilt and grief over the loss of his family. ... He's a a throwback to that heroic American archetype from the movies - strong, silent, stoic in his pain, the one who doesn't show emotion - and I think he should stay that way," Baker(Jane) says. "How he really feels should only be shared with the audience, never with his peers at CBI."

So it'll be those peers who open up this season. "Everybody has something they're not revealing about the past," Heller (show's creator) hints. "They're all sort of wounded by life."

Lisbon will have mandatory sessions with a CBI-appointed psychiatrist (Boston Legal Christian Clemenson). The Oct 8 episode is "mostly what's up Teresa's butt," Tunney says. "You'll find out how broken she really is."

Kimball is a ex-gang member who'll turn action hero when a loved one is put in danger. "Why doesn't the guy every smile?" observes Kang with a laugh. "Cho seems so bummed all the time. As the season progresses, it'll make sense why he's that way."

We'll also get inside the psyches of arson expert Rigsby, who survived a bad childhood, and Van Pelt, who is deeply repressed. It was previously revealed that Rigsby has a mad crush on Van Pelt - while he was under hypnosis and again when he was on painkillers. In the Oct 22 episode he'll get up the courage to make a real pass on the gal. Rigsby is so shy and Van Pelt so guarded that there's a very funny awkwardness about the whole thing.

Expect no such romance to blossom between Jane and Lisbon, though the two clearly adore each other and flirt like crazy. Baker laughs at the idea of them hooking up and brushes it off. Tunney hopes it never happens.

belle94

[25]Sep 19, 2009
    • level: 6

Ooh. Exciting. :]

FCBarca

[26]Sep 23, 2009
    • level: 15
    BTW, The premier for Season 2 episode is out and available

lemae_27

[27]Oct 14, 2009
    Promo Pics

Red Scare
    http://spoilertv.blogspot.com/2009/10/mentalist-episode-205-red-scare.html

Black Gold and Red Blood http://spoilertv.blogspot.com/2009/10/mentalist-episode-206-black-gold-and.html

lemae_27

[28]Oct 14, 2009

2.07 Apparently we get to see a 16 year old Jane with his dad in a flashback here. He doesn't seem like too nice of a fellow.

http://spoilertv.blogspot.com/2009/09/mentalist-episode-207-casting-call.html

Edited on 10/14/2009 11:42am

lemae_27

[29]Oct 14, 2009
    Lol, on a spoiler kick today!

Nick Chinlund is cast to play Jane's father. Good choice I guess, but to me he'll always be that creepy guy on the xfiles.

http://www.buddytv.com/articles/the-mentalist/the-mentalist-nick-chinlund-jo-31595.aspx

lemae_27

[30]Oct 20, 2009
    According to TV.com Chris Brochu is cast to play a young Patrick Jane in 2.07 "Throwing Fire". Check him out

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2324137/

lemae_27

[31]Oct 22, 2009

Getting a new cast member to join the CBI team at the start of the new year. Doesn't say if she is replacing someone or if she is an addition for the rest of the season. I haven't heard about anyone leaving the show.

http://spoilergeeks.blogspot.com/2009/10/mentalist-casting-scoop.html

Edited on 10/22/2009 5:01pm

TesserT

[32]Nov 12, 2009
    TV Guide Nov 16-22, 2009 issue: pgs 34-35 (nice photo)

On-air heat -> Rigsby-Van Pelt hit the sheets on Nov 19th.

Article also discusses what the characters find hot about each other.
    Edited on 11/12/2009 4:23pm

TesserT

[33]Nov 12, 2009
    TV Guide Nov 16-22, 2009 issue: pgs 8-9 with photo

Red John Returns: Red John launches his lethal attack on the CBI office in the Nov 19th episode - looks like he has an accomplice on the inside. "An agent we know and love will die. It's big and shocking and will cause many changes at CBI from that moment on....Jane is no longer after Red John just for his own vengeance - he's now avenging so much more."

Check out the article for the full episode details. Show creator, Bruno Heller, says, "If you're going to watch 1 episode of The Mentalist this year, this is the one."

agent_0042

[34]Nov 13, 2009
    • level: 66
    I get TV Guide currently (though I'm not planning to renew my subscription) and I did skim through that article (didn't read it too closely for fear of picking up too much info.) But it was a very good article. It's upped my anticipation for next week's episode.

lemae_27

[35]Nov 13, 2009

TesserT wrote:
    "An agent we know and love will die. It's big and shocking and will cause many changes at CBI from that moment on....Jane is no longer after Red John just for his own vengeance - he's now avenging so much more."

Okay who are they killing off?

Lisbon - Yeah right.

Cho - Not likely, he still has his own ep coming up and he's in the promo shots in the ep two weeks from now.

Grace - Possible, but she got shot this past ep so that would just be mean, but we are getting a female replacement...

Rigsby - Again possible and I didn't see him in the next promo pics...

Bosco - Not exactly an agent we love but it makes sense if Red John wants Jane involved and we all know Bosco was doing his best to keep him off the case.

Minelli - Unlikely as he was in the preview saying he "lost 3 agents today."

Now I can't think of anymore agents that have been introduced to us that we would miss. Bosco's agents don't count, they only had walk on parts basically. My guess would be Rigsby or Van Pelt if we're to believe the "know and love" quote from above, but they just got them together and I was under the impression that their affair was going to last all season. I'm going with Bosco for final answer, they just made him slightly likable and seeing as Jane and him are no longer at odds I think he's served his purpose on the show. But then again Red John likes to kill females (deviating only to kill the squealer that Jane got out of jail).

I could stand to lose Rigsby but I really like Grace, it would suck if it was her.

What are everyone else's thoughts??

Oasis99999

[36]Nov 14, 2009
    • level: 1
    I bet it's Bosco, Hicks and this third agent. Red John want Jane, not Bosco and his team. I started to like Bosco after episode 7, but I think that's true.

Sorry for my english, I'm still learning.

BloodySam

[37]Nov 14, 2009
    • level: 1
    All the 5 main characters are in the promo pics for the Dec. 10 episode, so that discussion is settled. It wouldn't make sense, anyway. If a regular would leave: possibly in the season finale but more likely after a third or fourth season.

TesserT

[38]Nov 14, 2009
    TesserT wrote:
    TV Guide Nov 16-22, 2009 issue: pgs 34-35 (nice photo)

On-air heat -> Rigsby-Van Pelt hit the sheets on Nov 19th.

Article also discusses what the characters find hot about each other.
    TVGuideMagazine (Nov 13): Mentalist Cop Couple Goes Under Covers

"If you have any lingering doubts that Mentalist co-cops Wayne Rigsby & Grace Van Pelt might make an arresting couple, this first look photo of the lovers waking up in bed together on the explosive Nov. 19 episode should be all the evidence you need. What was it like for Owain and Amanda to hit the sheets after a year and a half of foreplay? Owain reveals all…" ck out the link for the rest

agent_0042

[39]Nov 14, 2009
    • level: 66
    I didn't know that The Mentalist moved to a later timeslot...

lemae_27

[40]Nov 15, 2009
    http://www.spoilertv.com/2009/11/mentalist-episode-208-his-right-red.html

For promo pic