The Mentalist Forums

CBS (ended 2015)

The Mentalist - Poor Imitation of Psych?

demarkov

[21]Oct 26, 2009
    • level: 1
    NO they're not the same. Psych's main character is a pretend psychic. Mentalist's main character doesn't pretend to be a psychic nor does he introduce himself as one... His back story simply revealed (in the first episode) that he once posed as a psychic to earn money but he no longer does that... Both shows center on a main character who is hyper observant and helps solve crimes... but you can say that about a lot of shows too. Monk immediately comes to mind. Anyway, Who cares? If you really want to break it all the way down, ALL shows are a "rip off" of another show... Even Psych is as formulaic as they come and the root of the story has been done before. I've seen both shows and they're both good. Really good. Psych is goofier and Mentalist has dark undertones but the writing/storylines on both shows are sharp and highly entertaining.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

storepatter

[22]Mar 12, 2010
    • level: 6
    Except Pysch is cheap rubbish with lame actors, and Mentalist is a class act even in the bit parts.

Tincks

[23]Mar 13, 2010
    • level: 6

I started watching Psych and loved it, but after 2 season I got kind of tired, too goofy for my taste. When I first heard about The Mentalist I thought "hey! just like Psych". My boyfriend wanted to watch it, so I gave it a try. I have to admit I did not like it at first (I thought Jane was a know-it-all goody), but the character is so charming that you have to like him Laughing. Now I'm a fan and watch it every week. Not one time have I thought of Psych, they are two completely different shows.

I just can't wait to watch the end of the season!

KellyKKelly

[24]Mar 13, 2010
    • level: 8
    Psych was a waste of good talent. The goofy was simply too goofy. I didn't care enough for the characters because we didn't get a feel for them, who they really were. They had to give me another reason to stay tuned each week. "Goofy" just didn't do it for me. The Mentalist, on the other hand, is bloody brilliant. Sure, some episodes are weak, but even the weak ones are worth watching. The ensemble cast is genious.

jaesunsk

[25]Mar 14, 2010
    • level: 5
    having watched both, i find mentalist to be a lot better than Psych. Jane makes the show far better and even more funny to me than Psych is, even though prior comments stated Psych being a comedy and Mentalist being a drama.

DoesNotEqual

[26]Mar 17, 2010
    • level: 4

Your admission of having never watched the show and never planning to automatically invalidates any conclusions you might try to draw about how similar or different the shows are. In short, if you haven't seen The Mentalist, how do you know what it's like?

MaryAnnMc

[27]Dec 26, 2012

"The Mentalist" is a show I watch regularly and greatly enjoy. Sorry, but I found "Psych" so unwatchable that I couldn't even make it past the previews. They have nothing in common beyond the fact that they both use their powers of observation to solve crimes, and have at some point in their lives been fake psychics. The lead characters' personalities are totally different, and the tones of the shows are completely different. "The Mentalist" is a serious drama with an occasional humorous moment; "Psych" appears to be basically off-the-wall slapstick, with the characters not taking anything seriously. The only thing I see the Mentalist modeled on is the powers of observation of the Sherlock Holmes character, and if I am not mistaken, someone from the show openly admitted that a while back.

Maxwell_1989

[28]Oct 21, 2013
    Both shows are good, but they're really nothing at all alike. Like, not even a little bit.