The Mentalist Forums

Sunday 10:00 PM on CBSBetween Seasons

What do you think will happen to Patrick...

bnekid

[21]May 20, 2011
    • level: 2

Sorry for the spoiler, i forgot that some ppl might not have seen the season finale yet. However i am glad he finally got his revenge, sat back down and asked for the check...LMFAO, then left a tip for the waitress who ran off screaming. Nice Job writers, one of the best finale on TV as of late almost as exciting as "Who shot JR--DALLAS, for those of you who remember that show.

As for the new season, the writers have to keep the show going, so Jane will be returning to work, perhaps after a legal battle to clear him, the CBI team acting on his behalf. Don't forget, Lisbon was shot, and two other officers were killed, this would cause a full scale hunt for the people responsible and that means Red John, using the cell phone he had on him as evidence, would prove he ordered the hit.

I cannot wait to find out what happens and to see how they play out the new season.

bnekid...

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

vicbjones

[22]May 20, 2011
    • level: 12

bnekid wrote:

Sorry for the spoiler, i forgot that some ppl might not have seen the season finale yet. However i am glad he finally got his revenge, sat back down and asked for the check...LMFAO, then left a tip for the waitress who ran off screaming. Nice Job writers, one of the best finale on TV as of late almost as exciting as "Who shot JR--DALLAS, for those of you who remember that show.

As for the new season, the writers have to keep the show going, so Jane will be returning to work, perhaps after a legal battle to clear him, the CBI team acting on his behalf. Don't forget, Lisbon was shot, and two other officers were killed, this would cause a full scale hunt for the people responsible and that means Red John, using the cell phone he had on him as evidence, would prove he ordered the hit.

I cannot wait to find out what happens and to see how they play out the new season.

bnekid...

One could argue that the team "going rogue" got those two officers killed, so their careers are probably all up in the air, especially if LaRoche is found not to have acted improperly. Maybe they'll all be reassigned to different teams, at least temporarily. I don't understand why the characters assume there's only one mole. This is the second mole in CBI so far. I believe the trial may be where the significance of the DA's threat of "no more cooperation, no special favors" in the previous episode will come into play, including possibly the death of the coroner and the murder(?) of the motorcycle gang leader in "Red Menace" if the DA decides to dig deeply enough. I also imagine Lisbon will feel disappointed and/or betrayed since she always said she would try to stop Jane if he carried out his threat and he used Lisbon to find his target.

Edited on 05/20/2011 6:18pm

Writerpatrick

[23]May 20, 2011
    • level: 13

People tend to assume that Patrick Jane killed Red John, but if you look carefully you'll see that Red John was shot, then Jane pulled a gun out of his pocket and puts it on the table. But we don't actually see Jane shooting. It's just assumed that he did. It's possible that someone else shot Red John and that it only looked as if Jane did it. And when Jane pulled the gun from his pocket we don't see any smoke and there doesn't seem to be any noticeable damage to Jane's jacket.

But I'm glad that they seem to have finally ended the Red John story. It was getting tired and the show doesn't need it anymore. But it's likely that next season will deal with who actually did shoot Red John, provided it was really him and not someone pretending to be him.

kazer232

[24]May 20, 2011
    • level: 1
    Writerpatrick wrote:

People tend to assume that Patrick Jane killed Red John, but if you look carefully you'll see that Red John was shot, then Jane pulled a gun out of his pocket and puts it on the table. But we don't actually see Jane shooting. It's just assumed that he did. It's possible that someone else shot Red John and that it only looked as if Jane did it. And when Jane pulled the gun from his pocket we don't see any smoke and there doesn't seem to be any noticeable damage to Jane's jacket.

But I'm glad that they seem to have finally ended the Red John story. It was getting tired and the show doesn't need it anymore. But it's likely that next season will deal with who actually did shoot Red John, provided it was really him and not someone pretending to be him.

You can see the smoke coming out of Jane's pocket (where the gun was fired)

Frenz9

[25]May 20, 2011
    • level: 10
    Writerpatrick wrote:

I think it was Patrick that shot him, if someone else shot him Jane would have been slightly surprised or looked in the direction.

wildhoney66

[26]May 21, 2011
    • level: 13

1stly i hope it was Red John. my opinion various because each person has had good opinions on if it was The REAL one or not. i think what they SHOULD do is have it Be Red John to be honest. because yes the show is based on RJ but you can only do a story so long before it runs out of steam. what i think is a few things, for one if you recall RJ also had a gun & if they say Jane put it there.

his fingerprints aren't on it. & yes we haven't learned who he actually was. other than Bradly Whitford! he he. a damn good choice for the role i must say. to be honest since i really didn't read the credits i didn't notice if he was credited for the episode was he? or was it a surprise?

anyways next season my guess if it actually IS the real RJ which i think like i said it SHOULD be. fans will be pissed off if it wasn't. cause we all know that Jane isn't one to kill anyone. yes he killed a guy at the end of season one wasn't it? but other than that i mean & we know that Jane doesn't just shoot anybody. he tries to talk his way out of it. the CBI know this as well. next season my guess is they will start with who else are his followers? & if they get an ID from RJ"s body what if he's someone important? & that's how he gets people to do his bidding.

kinda like how that one fat guy in season 5 maybe? of "CSI" who's fetish was dressing in a baby outfit & he was someone that people just didn't like. he had his files on people that he kept just in case. maybe it will be something like that? of course without the baby outfit. THANKFULLY!

we know he prolly will get out of jail at some point. yes Jane's goal was to kill RJ, but i am curious if he will stay with the CBI when he gets back there at some point i mean. my guess is they will go to him while he's in jail to help solve crimes. he he. hell maybe while he's in jail he will find another one of his followers? they may even have a package delievered to CBI upon RJ's death that is addressed to Only Jane.

on my guesses on what that may contain i have no idea. but if that truly was RJ they may have his followers take his place but prolly not use his signature. maybe? or they may give us another serial killer that'll take another 3 years? i dunno i'm just guessing here folks! he he

Markizzle

[27]May 21, 2011
    RJ did say that he wanted to teach him one last lesson on humility, and Jane killing an innocent/follower of RJ, would kinda be a big lesson; that if he's so blinded by the hatred to RJ and so determind to seek revenge, he might make a mistake.

Liked the ending alot. One thing i didn't like and really was unsatisfied with, was when the assassin decided to suicide because she was caught. So unrealistic and really absurd.

The neck idea is quite good tbh, it matches the timing and why would he pull it off her when he was dying? If it all was fake, why would it actually be his mothers. Also quite the coincidence that RJ happens to be at the same mall at the same time.

TylerA46

[28]May 21, 2011
    • level: 11

krankie_frankie wrote:
    It's been said, but to much of a coincidence that Red John was at the mall sat by Jane. The Director has to be involved.

RJ was always around Jane, following him. He saved Jane at the end of last season, he also recited what Jane and Kristina talked about in a restaurant.

BTW, I found a great way to get Jane off the hook. He just has to say, RJ told him, he plans to go on a killing spree, so he had no chance, but to kill him.

Edited on 05/21/2011 3:55am

Papilloni

[29]May 21, 2011
    • level: 5

It was a great season finale for sure. If it's also a great start for next season and good for the show, we'll see.

I can't believe that this was the end of RJ. He must have been either an idiot to think Jane would just stay there watching while he turns around to walk away or suicidal. Neither sounds like what we know about RJ so far. Even if he didn't expect Jane to have a gun, he couldn't expect him just watching the killer of his family to walk away.

However, Jane believes it was RJ and feels relieved now. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't even try to defend himself in court now but just take his destiny as it is and go to prison. The reason for his life as it was is gone and he is just happy now and doesn't care what happens to him next anymore.

But what if the necklace from Van Pelt really turns out to be a bug? I thought of that actually right away, even before we knew the list of suspects. It has been done so many times before. That would mean RJ must had known what was going on and be prepared. It may be that Jane will go to prison and doesn't care for the CBI or his friends anymore. Until they find out about the bug and RJ shows up and kills again. And CBI will ask to release Jane from prison to help them with the case - and Jane will come back to life again to finish his mission (again).

RJ kind of always wanted to teach Jane that they are both alike. What better way would there be than letting Jane killing a man? And feeling the relieve of doing it.

Bytor65

[30]May 21, 2011
    • level: 6
    You guys are getting way too second rate soap opera on this one.

That was Red John. Jane clearly was the one who shot and killed him. It's over, and about time. The longer they drag it out the more absurd it would become, it was already getting riduculous.

Jane now has a massive problem of essentially taking revenge in public and likely on camera. Remember all the Audio/Video equipment they set up?

If it is on camera he has absolutely no hope of a "self defence" case, and will even have trouble pulling off a temporary insanity defence.

lostcause78

[31]May 21, 2011
    • level: 9
    I agree with the above poster, don't make this into a series where 1 in a million scenarios pop up all over the place.

It was RJ and he's dead and it was wonderfully anti climatic. Loved it.

Still a lot of unanswered questions. Why were RJs people so afraid of him they prefer to die? He's obviously well connected, who did RJ work for/with?

I think next season will begin with a focus on Janes trial, and the effects of the team going rogue + a new possible antagonist. If ratings struggle and it looks to be the last season, they'll wrap it up nicely, if it looks to continue they'll expand the story on the "new" RJ

BarryWeen3

[32]May 21, 2011
    • level: 14

lostcause78 wrote:
    I agree with the above poster, don't make this into a series where 1 in a million scenarios pop up all over the place. It was RJ and he's dead and it was wonderfully anti climatic. Loved it. Still a lot of unanswered questions. Why were RJs people so afraid of him they prefer to die? He's obviously well connected, who did RJ work for/with? I think next season will begin with a focus on Janes trial, and the effects of the team going rogue + a new possible antagonist. If ratings struggle and it looks to be the last season, they'll wrap it up nicely, if it looks to continue they'll expand the story on the "new" RJ

I theorized in the spoilders thread an answer to "why does RJ have so many followers?" and to go along with your "why are RJ's people afraid of him?" I don't think they're afraid of him, I think RJ and his followers have characteristics of a cult. RJ is the charming, manipulative leader able to lure people into his cult of killing and they kill themselves I think simply because I think RJ told them to if there ever was a chance they would get caught. Same way Jim Jones convinced people to commit mass suicide or Manson convinced his followers to go on a murder spree to try to incite a race war.

bnekid

[33]May 21, 2011

You have to remember a few things about the show. The Mentalist is the number 1 show on TV right now along with NCIS. They have to keep the show going, obviously. So that means they have to keep the format going as well. Jane and the CBI team solving cases in his usual style. This is what makes the show great for a detective show.

Killing of Red John, was killing off the his storyline. I am hoping that they start a new storyline and not drag this one out any longer. The ended it nicely. During the season finale, the CBI team will have to explain their actions, this is where the evidenece will come from that will exonerate the team for going offline with their investigations. However the Director knew and LaRoche knew as well. A sting operation to capture Red John, that went sour, but still managed to capture the man responsible for killing all those victims. Everybody at teh CBI wants this case to be over, so they can all move to new cases, they been saying this during past episodes. Lisbon also mentioned to Patrick not to do anything stupid about Red John and let the team handle it because they need him their. Thinking outside the show parameters, without him there is no show. So back to work, is what we will see in the new season.

What will be interesting is how Patrick talks or lies his way out of killing Red John and getting away with it. I willing to bet the new season will start off in this fashion, then gets back to work solving new cases, with new guest stars, and a new storyline.

just my thoughts on the show and their directions.

TylerA46

[34]May 21, 2011
    • level: 11

lostcause78 wrote:
    Still a lot of unanswered questions. Why were RJs people so afraid of him they prefer to die? He's obviously well connected, who did RJ work for/with?

Now, having RJ and the names of at least 8 followers (Gupta; O'Laughlin; assassin girl; the b!tch who killed Bosco; the cop from season 1 finale; his father; Todd Johnson; the dead cell-mate from episode RJ's Friends), they have to find a connection.

Edited on 05/21/2011 1:30pm
    Edited 3 total times.

Bytor65

[35]May 21, 2011
    BarryWeen3 wrote:
    Same way Jim Jones convinced people to commit mass suicide or Manson convinced his followers to go on a murder spree to try to incite a race war.

Yes clearly RJ was painted as a master manipulator a mesianic figure for some. Manson was the first thing that came to mind for me. Remember the gas station attendent. Jane asked him if he was a religous man. He answered that he was deeply religious, but not in any way Jane could understand... Clearly a RJ sheep.

That isn't to say RJ didn't also blackmail some, but for the most part they were followers, likely chosen for some personal weakness that made them easy prey. I don't think the still living followers would represent much, once the head was cut off, as they probably aren't much without their cult leader and RJ would not likely attempt to turn stronger people.

BarryWeen3

[36]May 21, 2011
    • level: 14

Bytor65 wrote:
    BarryWeen3 wrote:
    Same way Jim Jones convinced people to commit mass suicide or Manson convinced his followers to go on a murder spree to try to incite a race war.
    Yes clearly RJ was painted as a master manipulator a mesianic figure for some. Manson was the first thing that came to mind for me. Remember the gas station attendent. Jane asked him if he was a religous man. He answered that he was deeply religious, but not in any way Jane could understand... Clearly a RJ sheep. That isn't to say RJ didn't also blackmail some, but for the most part they were followers, likely chosen for some personal weakness that made them easy prey. I don't think the still living followers would represent much, once the head was cut off, as they probably aren't much without their cult leader and RJ would not likely attempt to turn stronger people.

They may not be as much of a threat but there are other possibilities you could do with RJ's followers. They try to get revenge on Patrick for the death of their leader, this happened in Sherlock Holmes after he destroyed Moriarity's network. Or perhaps, as RJ was talking about retiring, he may have trained a protege. And for a really weird thought, you could have something along the lines of The Princess Bride in terms of the Dread Pirate Roberts, where there was no single person but a series of people taking on the persona. NCIS had something like that when they did that episode where they were chasing a man who could erase people's identities, I think he was called Kamela. They finally realized near the end that the victim at the beginning of the episode was the old Kamela and the new Kamela was the delivery kid who Kamela had been training to be the new Kamela.

zurimov

[37]May 21, 2011
    • level: 9

All theories aside, do you think Season 4 premiere will take right directly after this finale or give it some distance?

"right directly" as in Season 4 premiere opens with Jane being handcuffed by the cops, still in the mall, and RJ's carcass remains.

"some distance" as in, well, the first shot is Jane being in prison already, and his trial happens off-camera?

Me, I like right directly better. It heightens the emotion and keeps the continuity much tighter...so basically it's the reward for us faithful fans.

jdmorr

[38]May 22, 2011

If episode 23 was the season finale, why does the episode list here show episode 24 with the same date as 23, like they aired both the same night? Who builds the episode lists anyway?

Also, I think I'm confused about Hightower. Was she a RJ follower? How does she fit into all this?

The promo stuff for the next episode (ep 1 for next season?) says that Jane made a huge mistake about the identity of the CBI mole. I don't think they meant Van Pelt's fiance, did they?

Edited on 05/22/2011 5:04am
    Edited 2 total times.

Bytor65

[39]May 22, 2011

jdmorr wrote:

If episode 23 was the season finale, why does the episode list here show episode 24 with the same date as 23, like they aired both the same night? Who builds the episode lists anyway?

Also, I think I'm confused about Hightower. Was she a RJ follower? How does she fit into all this?

The promo stuff for the next episode (ep 1 for next season?) says that Jane made a huge mistake about the identity of the CBI mole. I don't think they meant Van Pelt's fiance, did they?

It was a double episode. Did you catch both of them?

Hightower was framed and on the run, Jane was helping her. Did you miss some previous episodes.

Edited on 05/22/2011 6:24am

Bytor65

[40]May 22, 2011
    BarryWeen3 wrote:

They may not be as much of a threat but there are other possibilities you could do with RJ's followers. They try to get revenge on Patrick for the death of their leader, this happened in Sherlock Holmes after he destroyed Moriarity's network. Or perhaps, as RJ was talking about retiring, he may have trained a protege. And for a really weird thought, you could have something along the lines of The Princess Bride in terms of the Dread Pirate Roberts, where there was no single person but a series of people taking on the persona.

Dread Pirate Roberts works in a comedy, it doesn't work here. I think all these wacky ideas strain credulity too much. IMO they already pushed the Red John story line to the breaking point making him into some kind of mutant mind control master. Even Manson/Jim Jones never had that level of control over people, and especially not over high functioning members of society like FBI agents.

It is best that the get Red John behind them and move in a fresh direction.