The Mentalist

Fugue In Red

Aired Wednesday 8:00 PM Dec 15, 2011 on CBS

7.8
  • Great episode.

What a great half season finale.

In the past we've come across a few conmen during the show and I've always felt there was such a big gap between their personalities and Janes. To the extend where I'd think he was almost too likeable, I found it hard to imagine Jane being one of these people who prey on the losses of others.

Until this episode. He was a picture of shallowness. He conned and manipulated left and right with no morals. In 30 minutes I could fully belive in Jane pre-Red John, and that makes the change and effect of his loss and his new goal in life really shine.

2 moments that stood out to me in regards to the further story.

1 is when Lisbon tells the angry (and rightfully so) team, that Jane was always this person deep inside. The murder of his family simply brought it out. The proof? Thesmall gesture with the little girl, finding her doll and making sure she didn't witness the darker side of her father.

Secondly, Evil-Janes statement in the hospital about letting a shut door stay closed, and Lisbons decision to force it open in the end.

I cannot see Jane hating her for it. Regardless of him not remembering the event, Red John is still out there. He still murdered his wife and child. Forgetting it, doesn't erase their existence. There is no way the Jane we know, would prefer living a life as a conman, happy and rich, but oblivious to his loved ones, and the fact that their murderer is still out there.

I do hope he retains some of his fun loving and more calculating self though. it might even come in handy for him finally getting that last step up on Red John that he needs.