The Mentalist

If It Bleeds, It Leads

Aired Wednesday 8:00 PM Nov 11, 2012 on CBS

7.9
  • Did Red John Kill all the writers?

This once was the greatest show on TV. The new season is a huge disappointment. What happened? Did Red John kill all the writers? The show used to have an ensemble cast that interacted in believable ways. Everyone brought something unique to the mix, everyone had a little edge.

This season the scripts are cumbersome and leaden. The characters are not behaving in the ways we have come to know and love. Patrick is almost absent. His clever plots and machinations have become a guy throwing sticks at an electric fence. Really? Part of what made him so likable was his irreverent humor and his intelligence. Take those away to send him to the "darker places" we are told are upcoming, and why will I continue to watch?

Lisbon, formerly tough and edgy, is now weak and whiny. Grace is the "elephant in the room". She should have been written out until after the baby comes, on a leave of absence from the CBI because of some hometown crisis, which could later explain the "great mystery" that seems to hang over her head about her past.

The episode featuring Rigsby and his dad was not plausible, Cho has all but disappeared.

Instead of the engaging banter between the characters that we have come to rely on to add a bit of lightness to the scripts, the writers seem only able to manage some awkward dialog between two characters on the screen at a time.

It is like the entire show had a head trauma and lost a whole lot of IQ points. Bring back the Mentalist we know and love. It had a rich cast of characters to explore, all of them had depth. I don't know who these people are any more.