The Mentalist

If It Bleeds, It Leads

Aired Wednesday 8:00 PM Nov 11, 2012 on CBS

7.9
  • There's something wrong.

Volker. The assistant. Lorelei Martins. Rober Kirkland. Those four characters are key characters at the moment.

But there's something wrong with it all.

Pardon me if I'm wrong ... maybe I'm not as observational as I think I am. But the show has definitely dropped a huge bomb.

First off, Kirkland is NOT Red John, and neither is Volker. Highly unlikely. First of all, the Mentalist is scheduled for at least three more seasons, and Bruno Heller doesn't plan on Red John showing himself anytime soon.

But then let's think about it logically - it's not Kirkland because Jane was perfectly fine with meeting him (note that smile he has at the very end). Jane would have been on the guard. And it's not Volker either, because I'm pretty sure Red John's style is cutting people open, not suffocating them (even if it for a supposed suicide). On top of that, I'm pretty sure Lisbon would have noticed something, too. And why would he want to get rid of his assistant? Volker's reasons aren't big enough for him to be Red John. But he's a possible acquaintance, just like Kirkland. But they're definitely key characters, because they will make another reappearance. I just don't know when.

Now what I find fishy about it all is Jane's reaction to the electrical fence. Jane is known for his smart aleck ways to get into places and find things out, and surely an electrical fence won't stop him from getting something that he wants so badly?

But he stopped. Jane just gave up on the whole thing way too easily.

I'm not saying he won't be back to try again, I'm just saying that him dropping the whole subject so easily is not right. Not when it's Lorelei Martins at stake. And he was so dedicated to busting her out throughout the whole season, that I found it really, really, odd that he just dropped it like that. He was so dedicated and not focused at all on the case for like the first 45 minutes of the episode, and all of a sudden in the last 15 minutes he's all head over heels trying to figure it out? And all because of the fact he can't get pas an electrical fence? Not right, in my opinion. And the way he was so casual about Kirkland - the whole thing doesn't seem quite right. I know that in the next episode synopsis, it says that he's trying to get Brett Stiles to help him, but still ... it just doesn't seem like him,

But hopefully next episode it'll be better.