The Mentalist

Like A Redheaded Stepchild

Aired Sunday 10:00 PM May 05, 2011 on CBS

• Like a Redheaded Stepchild...

After a few Patrick-centric episodes in a series of strong character pieces for The Mentalist, Rigsby gets his time in the spotlight this week in "Like A Redheaded Stepchild". When the team is investigating the murder of a prison guard/aspiring detective outside of a jewelry store, Patrick immediately points to his place of work for the killer. As the team works several angles of the case, Rigsby heads to talk to previous inmates of the prison living in the area, including his father. The former meth dealer turned cigarette runner gives us a fair insight into the early years of Rigsby as he shows little love for his son whilst Cho gets to learn more about the prison guard. After the team discovers that their victim was working his own case to try and move one of his prisoners to a super-max facility, Patrick and Lisbon head off to a criminology class that he was attending in an effort to learn who. When they discover that he was trying to bring down the most feared criminal in his custody there is the usual misdirection and deception by Patrick as he tricks the bad guys into revealing their hand; not only ending the reign of the target of the victim, but also catching the killer too. As I said before "Like A Redheaded Stepchild" wasn't really about the case when it came down to it, more it was a convenient plot device to get Wayne to confront his father. We get too see that despite his father being nothing to aspire to, Rigsby still tries to impress his dad, that when his father uses him, he is slightly more than mad. When the case is shut they finally have the heart-to-heart/fist-to-fist that you'd expect and there are some deeper personal revelations for Wayne to face in the end. It's hardly a secret that he is still in love with Grace, but he finally admits it to her after telling her that he can't attend her wedding; unable to watch her marry another man.

It's becoming a familiar way for me to wrap up talking about The Mentalist by saying that it's striking a very good balance between character and crime, but if something is true, then it may as well be said. Whether or not we'll get a resolution to the Wayne/Grace will they/won't they relationship saga before the end of the season is unclear, but this week served as a strong set up for the inevitable confrontation between them about their feelings whenever it may arrive. Again, it was a well constructed and well executed episode, I just hope they keep coming.

The penultimate episode of The Mentalist's third season was fairly strong, although the actor they had portraying Wayne Rigsby's father did not really get the job across. It looked like Dallas Cowboys defensive coordinator Rob Ryan out there. The fight scene was pretty awkward too, but it was a nice little look into the background of Wayne.

Disappointed by the lack of Red John here tonight, although I am sure we will get that in the season finale next Thursday. I hope they stick to the case and Red John then though, and not delve on the "relationship" between Wayne and Grace for too long. Save that for ABC Thursdays not CBS.
  • A good episode, seemed a little boring, but not quite. A crime, a police could never solve by chasing the evidence

This week's episode might seem a little bit boring for people who don't watch the show regularly.

Actually, after seeing the last week's episode and learned about LaRoche's list and what it meant to Jane, this episode was a downer because it didn't focus or mention anything about that. However, this week's murder was a bit interesting. A prison guard is found dead, stabbed multiple times. It was Patrick who concluded that the guard is murdered not by a knife but by a shank, thus a con is responsible. No detailed spoilers here, so I am going to cut this short. For me the most interesting scene was the first moment Patrick caught the killer in his mind. When he was in prison, he asked the guard to show him the trustees and he picked the guy with clean and manicured hands, thus proving that he is breaking out the prison on a regular basis. All in all, a 10 !