The Mentalist

Little Red Book

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Sep 29, 2011 on CBS

7.6

Tonight's murder is set against the backdrop of an unfaithful trainer at a gym. As someone who frequents weightlifting I liked the idea of this, but as a whole the episode was a little dull. I have no interest in the new officers and I don't think I am alone in that notion. I also think the show has been moving a bit too slowly this season, but maybe that's just what Mentalist will be from now on. It was a good story and I will say I am glad there was not an abundant number of twists tonight. Sometimes making the killer predictable is the right move.

• Two steps forward and one step back. I liked the episode, but not the style.

Seems like somebody decided to turn of the lights again, because the tint took a dive into darkness again this week. This is a step back to the style of thelate Season 3 episodes, which I will never stop complaining about. However, thatis probably just amatter of taste, so let's move on past that to the episode itself.

The case-of-the-week was rather uninteresting, and there wasn't enough world-building nor characterization to keep me interested. This is however very much justified by everything going on in the sidelines. Jane's quest to bring back the team was great both in terms of execution and sense of humor. Unlike other scheemes, pretty much everyone involved actually saw right through him,but this was of course part of the plan as well.

Strict diets lead to murder. Sure, why not?

Also nice to see the Timothy Carter/Red John? plot carried on into this episode, and a certain returning character brought some incredible acting to the "final judgement". Not to mention how Blake Neely's musical addition to the last scene sent a shiver down my spine.

All in all, a great episode, but I hope for a slightly more thought-out case next week. It's not a good sign when you can guess the killer from watching the CBS Promo.

CBS