The Mentalist

Little Red Corvette

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Jan 13, 2013 on CBS

• Lisbon finally gets her revenge

This episode was the conclusion to the Tommy Volker storyline and things get harder for Volker when a boy witnesses a murder only that Volker doesn't know In this episode Volker shows how smart and careful he is because he covers his tracks very well He was able to do that because he knew what leads the police had on the case which suggests someone on the inside and the person on the inside was revealed to be Brenda Shettrick Volker has lots of people to help him but not people who would kill a child so because he had to do it himself and Lisbon found him trying to take the boy she was able to arrest him now anyone who thought Volker could be Red John will have to think again but it was a really good storyline.
  • Good Show

What happened at end?
  • Oddly unsatisfied with this episode!

Good things about the episode;

Jane's obvious desire to help Lisbon through her increasing and understandable frustration at not being able to implicate Volker.

Lisbon willing to "bend" the truth to get her way will help her in understanding of Jane's drive to get Red John.

Finding out that a highly placed agent is a "mole" for Volker.

Lisbon punching Volker out, when she arrested him.

Not so good things about the episode;

The boy apparently perfectly OK after witnessing a pretty gruesome murder and the death/disappearance of his mother.

The lacklustre finish where Jane simply handed the boy back was very touching and all but I'd have preferred a celebration back at the CBI, with some interaction in the team.

Terrible things about the episode;

Volker, this man whose arrogance is immense, always dots his "I's" and crosses his "T's", suddenly panics and goes on a manhunt (boyhunt?), when he can't get someone to kill the kid, leaves fingerprints all over the place and eventually grabs the kid in a very public place.

He might as well have hung a big sign round his neck, saying "Hey everyone, look at me! I'm the bad guy!".

Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoyed the episode but it left me "oddly unsatisfied".
  • Had me on the edge of my seat

Great episode. Awesome seeing Volker get called out by Jane. A lot of background mistakes like a missing kid getting over his mom in 61 days and going to the zoo. Plus regardless of what happened Volkers fingerprints would be in the ladies apartment. Still a great episode. I hope they get around to the Red John stuff again though. Clearly people in CBI can easily be coerced and blackmailed a little too easy , Red John could be anyone.
  • Best of the season so far

After the Red John case has been significantly toned down, the show has been rather lukewarm. The Volker case put the tension back in play, and this epi turned out to be a great climax. Especially the scenes where Patrick was conversing with Volker, were full of innuendos and body language, and they made for very good television. I'm glad Theresa finally got to shoot him and put the cuffs on, she deserved it after everything he put her through. Seeing her break some rules was refreshing! And the scene where the mercenary threw himself in front of a bus, was totally unexpected. I hope the show keeps this pace up.
  • Little Red Corvette

The Volker build-up was a little bit slow, but the payoff was good here. Edgier than just about anything on CBS this year as they had the man ready to kill a child, but it was good for The Mentalist to go out of its comfort zone a little bit.

Really strong episode though.
  • great episode for many reasons

I really liked this episode. I loved watching Patrick Jane playing with Volker and following his "instincts" as always. I also liked that it was no one man show as in other episodes, Lisbon did a good job herself and Rigsby, Cho and Van Pelt (very pregnant :-)) had many lines too. In this ep Volker was the new Red John! And now it's time to get back to Red John and to the mysterious Homeland Sec guy (who shook hands with Jane too ;-))
CBS