The Mentalist

Pilot

Aired Wednesday 8:00 PM Sep 23, 2008 on CBS

• Riveting first episode.

Very impressive episode, this wasn't what I was expecting. It's got astonishing depth and Patrick is an immensely complex, even dark, character. If the series continues in this vein, I'll definitely watch it.

Patrick's 'session' with Mrs Tolliver was riveting. Patrick has a hypnotic manner and his way of asking questions and making deductions is fascinating. I have to wonder if the character is based on Sherlock Holmes, very familiar methodologies. He takes it a step further – he's a showman, right down to magician's slight-of-hand and tricks.

It's fascinating to see what converted a fake psychic into an CBI agent – talk about a serial killer on tv, and he kills your family. Question is how did he get them to take him seriously, let alone give him the credentials to participate in investigations?

Patrick has the left-over need for drama and isn't a team player so he upsets people, even his own teammates. How can he still live in that house, under the symbol drawn in your family's blood? He really is twisted and what's scary is how well he hides it – but you see flashes of it sometimes. I'll bet no-one really knows Patrick, he's completely inverted – like any good magician, he's a master at diversion.